Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha, Marvel has a villain called The Jester? That's amusingly blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^I know. How original^^^^

DD's rogues gallery is quite lame. poo poo, his comic was lame for a really long time until Miller took off with it and later Bendis and Brubaker started building off what Frank did with it.

Steve2911 posted:

I just checked the plot summary of this on Wikipedia. Holy poo poo I hope they end up taking Karen's character in that hosed up direction.

Go read Born Again. You can find it in TPB and it's really good. If I'm not mistaken, it was Miller's return to the character after a year or two off. Frank Miller gets poo poo on a lot (often for good reason) but his DD run is absolutely superb.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 2, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^I know. How original^^^^

DD's rogues gallery is quite lame. poo poo, his comic was lame for a really long time until Miller took off with it and later Bendis and Brubaker started building off what Frank did with it.

Go read Born Again. You can find it in TPB and it's really good. If I'm not mistaken, it was Miller's return to the character after a year or two off. Frank Miller gets poo poo on a lot (often for good reason) but his DD run is absolutely superb.

Yeah, basically it wouldn't be possible for this Daredevil show to be as good as it is in the ways that it is if it wasn't for Miller's runs making the character actually cool and good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Unless the Nu52 changed more than I thought, this is misleading. Members of the GLC being allowed to kill is a very big deal and almost always depicted as a bad thing. Guy Gardner is the only main GL who would willingly kill, and even then he's mostly talk.

John Stewart is an ex-marine who regularly creates guns out of green energy to shoot people with. Simon Baz carries a regular gun in case he needs to shoot people and his ring is out of energy. Pretty much all of the GL stuff is basically a mix of space cops and space soldiers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

savinhill posted:

Yeah, basically it wouldn't be possible for this Daredevil show to be as good as it is in the ways that it is if it wasn't for Miller's runs making the character actually cool and good.

I've been re-reading The Immortal Iron-Fist stuff lately (and just finished Aja's run on it) and I was just wondering if, beyond Davos, does Iron Fist even have a Rogue's Gallery? I mean, I guess you could count Hydra and/or the Hand, but Hydra are an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. foe and the Hand are (a) not really his, (b) almost certainly what the Defender's need to team up for and (c) really only a threat en-masse, like Hydra - at least in the comics. Are they any good Rogue's he could borrow from other character's for the show? Maybe Taskmaster, since I doubt Cap is using him? Deadpool might though I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just realized that Daredevil is the ONLY character in the MCU with the anti-killing obsession where as non-cinematic DC won't shut up about it.

For gently caress's sake, even Captain America has flat out wasted people when it's called for.

ED: The fact they don't cram it down everyone's throats (outside of just Daredevil) makes it feel way more reasonable though. Outside of kill-crazy types like the Punisher they usually avoid it if they can, but like I mentioned.. some dude whips out a minigun on a city street, Cap is putting him down for good; yet he'd still try to avoid killing the same person if possible.

These hyper "NO KILL NO MATTER WHAT EVER" characters end up going off the deep end in the other extreme and even MORE people die because of it, though interestingly on the show itself, it seems to be aware it's not a perfect philosophy and doesn't try to parrot JUST Matt's POV.

Hell the only reason Jessica Jones didn't just murder the gently caress out of Kilgrave immediately was trying to help other people, not out of some "I cannot harm a life," bullshit.

I mean I'm not saying "Oh man everyone should be like the Punisher!" just that nobody's going to blame someone for killing a kill crazed murder ninja zombie.

Cap actually doesn't kill the minigun guy, he just hits him and leaves him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

John Stewart is an ex-marine who regularly creates guns out of green energy to shoot people with. Simon Baz carries a regular gun in case he needs to shoot people and his ring is out of energy. Pretty much all of the GL stuff is basically a mix of space cops and space soldiers.
The guns and bullets made of green energy -- and I'm not making GBS threads anyone with this, this is certified canon -- aren't lethal unless the GL in question wills them to be lethal. When I said that GLs being allowed to kill is a very big deal, I meant that there was a literal programming lock on their rings making them unable to deliver killing blows until the threat of the Sinestro Corps caused the Guardians to lift that restriction.

So, in normal circumstances, no matter what green lasers they fire or how hard they hit, the rings make sure that it's done in such a way that the result doesn't end up killing anyone.

I don't know what Simon does with that stupid gun of his, but I don't think he's actually killed anyone with it. Which, yes, just makes the gun even dumber.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Daredevil the show has this nasty habit of introducing side characters and then immediately killing them or making them double cross the main characters. They go through so many it becomes a cliche and then totally boring, worst example being : Clancy Brown's character, who could have been just a nice scene showing the depth of Frank Castle's character but instead I guess is the Blacksmith drug lord who may or may not have intentionally murdered Castle's family. Well, wait, why did he testify in the first place to help Castle if he actually wanted him dead? Why does any of this make sense?

Any time a tertiary character pops up its just a race against time before the show brutally murders them. Get just a teensy bit more creative please.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Cap actually doesn't kill the minigun guy, he just hits him and leaves him.

No he just let's Sam kill one guy and reflects the bullets into another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The guns and bullets made of green energy -- and I'm not making GBS threads anyone with this, this is certified canon -- aren't lethal unless the GL in question wills them to be lethal. When I said that GLs being allowed to kill is a very big deal, I meant that there was a literal programming lock on their rings making them unable to deliver killing blows until the threat of the Sinestro Corps caused the Guardians to lift that restriction.

Geoff Johns is a bad Green Lantern writer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be fair the non-lethal loophole existed back during the 90s as well, and maybe even earlier. There were no Guardians around to enforce anything when Kyle was the only Lantern, but his ring's non-lethal setting was self-imposed. The first time I found out about this whole oddity was when Kyle was narrating it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everything Green Lantern is Johns' fault just like how everything Marvel is Bendis' fault.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Geoff Johns is a bad Green Lantern writer.

Wasn't he responsible for the other Corps, the Sinestro Corp war and so on? Simon Baz sounds terrible (not read it), but I like those comics so I'd say he's good on the whole due to them if nothing else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People really like their sensitive artist Green Lantern he replaced. It's not a debate you want to start.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Also I love that Karen spent months being slowly trained to be an investigative journalist because she has good instincts etc, and at the end it turns out she can't write for poo poo. I can just imagine Ellison's face after reading that fanfic quality draft.

Every journalist is a opinion columnist according to Hollywood. Like that lady in House of Cards who spends a whole season chasing Frank Underwood's crimes and then her big opus is a loving opinion column comparing him to a hurricane like anyone would give a poo poo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They did a non-terrible job of TV Lawyer-ing this year. Well, until Murdock delivered a closing statement during his own examination of the defendant. Oy.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Finally finished this season. Watching it bit by bit really highlights how the structure of this season undermines the Hand story. Several major climaxes play out as pre-credits sequences, whereas the big moments in the Punisher storyline tend to happen near the end of episodes and are so much more compelling because of the 45 minutes or so of uninterrupted build up.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 3, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So Daredevilman will simpy have to keep throwing Fisk in jail oveer and over and over again, even though it doesn't even matter much to Fisk

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Zzulu posted:

So Daredevilman will simpy have to keep throwing Fisk in jail oveer and over and over again, even though it doesn't even matter much to Fisk

He is trying his best.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wouldn't be the least surprised to see some version of "Fisk doesn't go to jail but DD dismantles his empire and ruins his reputation" and/or "DD declares himself the 'Kingpin' of Hell's Kitchen".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

I've been re-reading The Immortal Iron-Fist stuff lately (and just finished Aja's run on it) and I was just wondering if, beyond Davos, does Iron Fist even have a Rogue's Gallery? I mean, I guess you could count Hydra and/or the Hand, but Hydra are an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. foe and the Hand are (a) not really his, (b) almost certainly what the Defender's need to team up for and (c) really only a threat en-masse, like Hydra - at least in the comics. Are they any good Rogue's he could borrow from other character's for the show? Maybe Taskmaster, since I doubt Cap is using him? Deadpool might though I guess.

He's spent most of his time hanging out with Luke Cage and doing for hire work, so neither of them have a lot of notable villains. Largely the repeated bullshit either US or Kunlan society dumps on them.

Immortal Ironfist did add the interesting idea of the 33rd Birthday demon and the machinations of the previously secret 8th city of heaven. Also the short chronicles of the other Iron Fists had a couple opponent idea that might be able to be adapted.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm really hoping to see the Wrecking Crew in Luke Cage, they'd be a good fit for the Netflix segment of the MCU.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Zzulu posted:

At least until they decide to introduce some of the other people and plot elements who have led to his downfall at various times. Usually people he has hired, partnered with, or sired. I seem to recall that both HYDRA and the Hand both wound up being entities who wound up on his poo poo list due to their willingness to openly act against him (and frequently succeed).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

EricFate posted:

At least until they decide to introduce some of the other people and plot elements who have led to his downfall at various times. Usually people he has hired, partnered with, or sired. I seem to recall that both HYDRA and the Hand both wound up being entities who wound up on his poo poo list due to their willingness to openly act against him (and frequently succeed).

Seeing Fisk get clowned by the Hand would make this Black Sky stuff really worth it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm wrapping up the season now and I definitely think the second half of the season is in decline compared to the first half. The first 4 episodes make a pretty solid Punisher arc, they could have been a mini-series themselves, and then the show kinda scuffles figuring out what to do next. Bernthal is great, he's captivating whenever he's onscreen, and its also a pleasure to see D'Onofrio back, as a Kingpin thats clearly beginning to enjoy himself a little bit more. The jail bits were great, and that fight in the cell block was definitely the most vicious thing they've done in the show so far.

But god. The ninjas. The ninjas are so lame, and the mystery around them and "The Hand" completely uninteresting and dull. I guess the stakes are supposed to be higher than last season but I can't be bothered to care. Maybe the world is ending but these faceless ninjas and their weird mythology, it just doesn't contrast well with the Punisher stuff. Ah well, I'll see how it wraps up but I'm not holding out hope.

From last page, but my thoughts exactly. Everything up to Fisk getting Frank out of jail was great. Things ran out of steam after that, leading to a boring finale. I was trying to figure out who the Blacksmith would be and economy of characters led me to believe that the only choice would be Stick. It would have been a way to tie the two stories together, I'm disappointed we didn't get that in the end. Yeah it would have been lame, but at least everything coming together would have been better than what we got.

Matt and Frank's first fight on the rooftop was great. Matt fights like a boxer, which is something we don't see a lot in superhero shows, which made the fight interesting to watch. Everything eventually devolves into the same old Kill Bill type poo poo toward the end. Matt becomes just another ninja.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 4, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fight scenes are fun to look at, but a bunch of them are just generic "watch them be cool" stuff. The early stuff with Frank are great, and I enjoyed seeing how in sync Elektra and Matt are when fighting.

But towards the end there's a lot of strangeness. After a season of Castle kicking the poo poo out of Matt, he's easily dispatched on the boat. I get that maybe Frank is holding back or whatever, but its awkwardly staged.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

IMO the biggest laugh of the season came when a catholic that uses his religion to set limits preached that myth should not control Elektra. Thoughts?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
so edgy

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mike N Eich posted:

Daredevil the show has this nasty habit of introducing side characters and then immediately killing them or making them double cross the main characters. They go through so many it becomes a cliche and then totally boring, worst example being : Clancy Brown's character, who could have been just a nice scene showing the depth of Frank Castle's character but instead I guess is the Blacksmith drug lord who may or may not have intentionally murdered Castle's family. Well, wait, why did he testify in the first place to help Castle if he actually wanted him dead? Why does any of this make sense?

Any time a tertiary character pops up its just a race against time before the show brutally murders them. Get just a teensy bit more creative please.

You know what? As much of a waste it would've been to only use Clancy Brown for just that one scene, I'd grant that. I'm a guy who the second I hear that distinctive voice, I'm all loving in for whatever role he has, so to only have him in that one five minute scene would not nearly be enough...but I get what you're saying there. In a way, it would have been good to show him just as Frank's former CO and friend, and had the Blacksmith be more of a Punisher Season One villain.

Also, then we could have Clancy Brown as a recurring character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Four scenes stand up as particularly great and like things that will be lauded for years to come:
Anything having to do with the Punisher.
Fisk beating the unholy hell out of Matt and the subsequent threatening.
Karen's expression as she turns on the car and that particular song starts blaring.
Daredevil doing the sign of the cross on himself before admitting to Frank he wants to kill the Blacksmith.

I mean maybe the series kinda starts fraying near the end but you cannot deny the acting isn't incredible.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 4, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Why are you guys still using spoiler tags?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd really like a gif of Kingpin beating the poo poo of Frank in prison, I wouldn't be surprised if he watched footage of gorillas fighting to get inspiration.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Daredevil doing the sign of the cross on himself before admitting to Frank he wants to kill the Blacksmith.

Matt didn't say he wants to kill the Blacksmith. He just said that's what may have to be done (i.e. he'd let Frank kill, just that one time).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

enraged_camel posted:

Matt didn't say he wants to kill the Blacksmith. He just said that's what may have to be done (i.e. he'd let Frank kill, just that one time).

It was still a delightful touch and Cox pulled it off like nobody's business

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

They did a non-terrible job of TV Lawyer-ing this year. Well, until Murdock delivered a closing statement during his own examination of the defendant. Oy.

That was the most hilarious thing. I'm not anywhere close to being a lawyer but when Murdock finished with 'no further questions, Your Honor', I actually said out loud, "But you didn't ask any questions!" And I really wanted the judge to say the same thing and then have the entire statement stricken from the record.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The part where Foggy says that turning in a wanted (sentenced?) fugitive would break attorney-client privilege has to be wrong, right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
given that his client is a man named "The Punisher" whose stated goal in life is to murder lots more dudes, the failure to turn him in would get Foggy disbarred (and arrested)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The more I think about it, the more this Hand poo poo is a loving trainwreck.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Soothing Vapors posted:

given that his client is a man named "The Punisher" whose stated goal in life is to murder lots more dudes, the failure to turn him in would get Foggy disbarred (and arrested)

He's talking about Grotto, not Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nah, I'm pretty sure in the conversation the team had with Reyes before she got shot, she was asking them to turn in Castle and Foggy was like, "And violate privilege!?"

Or something like that.