Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's Fallout 4? Doesn't look so bad, I wonder why people keep saying the graphics are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The common conception is that, not being tied to last gen consoles, they should have splurged on models and textures a bit. Of course since both consoles versions intermittently ran liked steamed garbage anyway, :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The weirdest Deus Ex upgrade

I never assed for this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

That's Fallout 4? Doesn't look so bad, I wonder why people keep saying the graphics are poo poo.

It took a nipple couch to make you realize that hey, fallout 4 doesn't look so bad?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, it just struck me. The person on the couch looks alright. The creases in the pants are a nice touch. The lighting in general seems a bit off, though.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, it just struck me. The person on the couch looks alright. The creases in the pants are a nice touch. The lighting in general seems a bit off, though.

Yes it needs an ENB to make everything washed out, dark as gently caress, and blurry.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know about you guys, but in real-life when I look around my dingy computer room everything looks all hazy and blurry with specks of dust as big as pencil erasers floating in the godrays coming in through my blinders. Also my horrible glaucoma means I can only focus on single objects while everything else looks like it's dipped in vaseline. ENB adds the much-needed realism that Bethesda games are lacking.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Orv posted:

The common conception is that, not being tied to last gen consoles, they should have splurged on models and textures a bit. Of course since both consoles versions intermittently ran liked steamed garbage anyway, :shrug:
All that extra power only goes so far when your engine basically just a third trimester Gamebryo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know about you guys, but in real-life when I look around my dingy computer room everything looks all hazy and blurry with specks of dust as big as pencil erasers floating in the godrays coming in through my blinders. Also my horrible glaucoma means I can only focus on single objects while everything else looks like it's dipped in vaseline. ENB adds the much-needed realism that Bethesda games are lacking.

The contrast in my vision is so strong that I pretty much just see white and black and nothing in between.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You people have no appreciation for atmosphere :argh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chaltab posted:

All that extra power only goes so far when your engine basically just a third trimester Gamebryo.

What happens after the engine is fully developed and birthed?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lithtech.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phlegmish posted:

I would say with a reasonable amount of confidence that everything you just noted in that picture is modded. I know the character's hair isn't a color you can pick in the game, I'm almost certain that suit is modded in (because I like it too, and I would definitely remember a suit that nice), her pose isn't one I recognize, and the lighting could very easily be a lighting preset.

I have my suspicions about the couch, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The MSJ posted:

What happens after the engine is fully developed and birthed?

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethesda to be born?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If I could be the entire quote, that would be an amazing thread subtitle.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But now that you've said it, it won't be.

As far as I understand it, Tit spikes and Fiveheads has been the thread title all along. For 408 pages.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

But now that you've said it, it won't be.

As far as I understand it, Tit spikes and Fiveheads has been the thread title all along. For 408 pages.

Nope, I saw the post where someone said it, but it's a loooong time ago.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This thread used to be all about the lizard tits.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good times, good times.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Agents are GO! posted:

Getting :nws:back on topic:nws:, and it's made by a goon. :P

Now we need one for giant pairs of legs framing the entrances to buildings, like that one Robin Williams movie I've totally forgotten the name of.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

flubber

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Awesome/Awful Game Mods: A lake of jism sloshes around inside my womb.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is about time we changed it.

Or poo poo, make a new thread with the best of the best in an OP. The OP here hasn't posted since 2013.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11525/

This mod is actually pretty cool (allows you to mod the weapon into just about any AK variant you can think of), but holy poo poo the comments are full of nexus nerds pissed that their BELOVED KALASHNIKOV WAIFU has been defiled with inaccuracies.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gonkish posted:

This mod is actually pretty cool (allows you to mod the weapon into just about any AK variant you can think of), but holy poo poo the comments are full of nexus nerds pissed that their BELOVED KALASHNIKOV WAIFU has been defiled with inaccuracies.

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY poo poo STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU gently caress IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB poo poo PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pwnstar posted:

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY poo poo STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO. MAYBE YOU PUT SEX DILDO ON TOP TO gently caress YOURSELF IN rear end in a top hat FOR MAKING SHAMEFUL TRAVESTY OF RIFLE OF MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, NO?

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU gently caress IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB poo poo PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

:golfclap:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

*forgets the latest AK has full-length dorsal rail specifically meant for attaching scopes, sights, and other aiming devices, as well as a bottom handguard rail, as requested by the army of Russia*

*also forgets that Zenitco exists*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Young Freud posted:

*forgets the latest AK has full-length dorsal rail specifically meant for attaching scopes, sights, and other aiming devices, as well as a bottom handguard rail, as requested by the army of Russia*

*also forgets that Zenitco exists*

Nice meme

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's not authentic enough until there's canting and a chance your scope mount falls off because you got the mount for an SVD instead of an AK.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

New Concept Hole posted:

It's not authentic enough until there's canting and a chance your scope mount falls off because you got the mount for an SVD instead of an AK.

I remember that gif. Someone should repost it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gonkish posted:

But the mod author's replies are obnoxious as gently caress too so it balances out. I tried it out and his textures must be bigger than they needed to be or something because having the gun out slows my whole game down. I went in and shrank a bunch -- really inconsistently sized and too much of it was 2048x2048 -- but all the normals and stuff were all hosed up, unless there's something horribly wrong with my computer all of a sudden.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

But the mod author's replies are obnoxious as gently caress too so it balances out. I tried it out and his textures must be bigger than they needed to be or something because having the gun out slows my whole game down. I went in and shrank a bunch -- really inconsistently sized and too much of it was 2048x2048 -- but all the normals and stuff were all hosed up, unless there's something horribly wrong with my computer all of a sudden.

It's honestly shocking how badly a lot of people, even professionals, handle textures. They make ridiculously high resolution textures because higher resolution equals more good, right? Nevermind that your average player isn't going to see all that detail because their monitor simply can't display it, leaving their graphics card slogging away at lovely massive textures for no goddamn reason.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I was under the impression they make them really high quality so they downgrade better for consoles or graphics options. If you try to resize a small picture, it's going to look like rear end. But if you have a huge, 4000 x whatever image, it'll look great no matter how small it goes.

But in the case of modders this line of thinking doesn't apply I'd guess.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I was under the impression they make them really high quality so they downgrade better for consoles or graphics options. If you try to resize a small picture, it's going to look like rear end. But if you have a huge, 4000 x whatever image, it'll look great no matter how small it goes.

But in the case of modders this line of thinking doesn't apply I'd guess.

That's why you make super high resolution textures, yes. Problem is from the sounds of it, it's not being downsampled and is just loading the full, stupidly sized texture. it's possible Fallout 4 just doesn't do downsampling on the fly and instead might rely on having multiple differently sized versions of the same texture on the hard drive, which takes up more space on it but hard drive space isn't really the limiting factor when it comes to videogames.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
There was a short intermission in my life where I had way too much time on my hands and didn't know what it all meant and I did a compilation thing for New Vegas for armors. That meant I had to look at tons and tons of assets from modders who did "original" armors. Without kidding, I'd claim that 90% of them were straight up hosed in some way.

You have to see, most (pretty much all) aren't original work but ripped out of some other game, model compilation for 3D software, whatever. If the modder is a bit talented they get tweaked a bit, usually just so much that you really have to look close to see that stuff was ripped from elsewhere. A lot are also models that were just mashed together from different sources. That's usually where the inconsistencies in texturing etc. come from. As NV did normals a bit different than many other engines the normal maps were usually there and usually always hosed/inverted/not compatible. The modder didn't know/didn't care and applied them anyways. This made some stuff look really weird.

Granted this is for armors but I doubt it's different for weapons. I also doubt that anything about this has changed. 3D modelling and texturing is pretty hard. Only few people really can do it. Those few that can do it well usually don't waste their time doing it for free.

The Nexus prouds itself on banning modders that rip off original work, but if they'd really investigate and kick off anyone who's work is stolen from somewhere, there'd probably be like 2 armors and 3 guns per Fallout game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Police Automaton posted:

There was a short intermission in my life where I had way too much time on my hands and didn't know what it all meant and I did a compilation thing for New Vegas for armors. That meant I had to look at tons and tons of assets from modders who did "original" armors. Without kidding, I'd claim that 90% of them were straight up hosed in some way.

You have to see, most (pretty much all) aren't original work but ripped out of some other game, model compilation for 3D software, whatever. If the modder is a bit talented they get tweaked a bit, usually just so much that you really have to look close to see that stuff was ripped from elsewhere. A lot are also models that were just mashed together from different sources. That's usually where the inconsistencies in texturing etc. come from. As NV did normals a bit different than many other engines the normal maps were usually there and usually always hosed/inverted/not compatible. The modder didn't know/didn't care and applied them anyways. This made some stuff look really weird.

Granted this is for armors but I doubt it's different for weapons. I also doubt that anything about this has changed. 3D modelling and texturing is pretty hard. Only few people really can do it. Those few that can do it well usually don't waste their time doing it for free.

The Nexus prouds itself on banning modders that rip off original work, but if they'd really investigate and kick off anyone who's work is stolen from somewhere, there'd probably be like 2 armors and 3 guns per Fallout game.

whose work*

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
English isn't my native language. :shobon:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've imagined that many of the weapon mods you see are just people importing the first high quality looking model they can find online and then dropping it into the game with the bare minimum effort required, so you end up with things that are way over-modeled for a game with crazy-high res textures that are SUPER HD 4096+ and are probably rigged poorly.

There is a custom song scene for the Rocksmith games which is a program where you plug in a guitar and jam along. Unfortunately so many of these customs are people who are just ripping an mp3, importing the first guitar tab file they find, and uploading some completely out-of-sync mess that makes no sense. You'll often get some great, well-made customs that match the quality of the official stuff, especially things that Ubisoft would never licence for DLC, and then on the other end you get a bunch of garbage that they didn't even bother to test before tossing online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Slime posted:

It's honestly shocking how badly a lot of people, even professionals, handle textures. They make ridiculously high resolution textures because higher resolution equals more good, right? Nevermind that your average player isn't going to see all that detail because their monitor simply can't display it, leaving their graphics card slogging away at lovely massive textures for no goddamn reason.

My favorite example is how big Bethesda made the textures for the falling leaves in Skyrim. I forget what it was exactly but obviously anything bigger than 128x128 is too much.

Police Automaton posted:

There was a short intermission in my life where I had way too much time on my hands and didn't know what it all meant and I did a compilation thing for New Vegas for armors.

Are you the one who put together that massive collection that was stashed in two or three cabinets behind the store in Goodsprings? Really, really eclectic bunch, everything from Neon Evangical Whatever suits to bandit outfits from Stalker, but I appreciated the amount of work that must have taken to put together.

• Locked thread