Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sorry to keep bringing this back to Waffle Chat, but how can I modify Flash Gordon Ramsay's waffle recipe to make apple cinnamon waffles? Or how can I make apple cinnamon pancakes?

I'm craving apple cinnamon stuff right now for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want to try making a fermented pepper mash (hot sauce base), and the first step is to put the chiles outside (preferably in the sun) to ripen for a day. I don't get a ton of sunlight in my apartment and don't have a porch outside where I can put the chiles, or even any outdoor space where I could put them that isn't just out on the curb. Next best thing?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oven with the light on and a slightly opened door?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Sorry to keep bringing this back to Waffle Chat, but how can I modify Flash Gordon Ramsay's waffle recipe to make apple cinnamon waffles? Or how can I make apple cinnamon pancakes?

I'm craving apple cinnamon stuff right now for some reason.

I don't know about waffles, I have a feeling the pieces of apple will mess up how they cook?

Panncakes are simple enough though.Take this recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fluffyamericanpancak_74828

But:

1) Peel, core and dice 1 apple into small bits
2) Follow the recipe to make the batter, but do not add the sugar
3) Take the 2 tbsp sugar from the recipe, mix it with 1 tsp cinnamon powder and toss the apple pieces in it so they're evenly coated.
4) Add the spiced apple to the finished batter, give it a good stir, then cook pancakes as normal

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
My dad loves baking bread, and I'm looking for a present for his birthday. He likes understanding the theory behind things as well as the practical side, so I thought maybe a book like this would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bible-Rose-Levy-Beranbaum/dp/0393057941

Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions for a sort of "Everything you ever wanted to know about bread!" type book?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

My wife and I are having fish today, cod to be precise, but don't quite know what to do with it.

Aside from the fish itself, we have spuds, spinach and capers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice sauce we could rustle up to go with this? We don't eat fish very often, we mainly subsist on pasta, but are trying to vary our diet a bit.

Thanks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Francois_Dillinger posted:

My wife and I are having fish today, cod to be precise, but don't quite know what to do with it.

Aside from the fish itself, we have spuds, spinach and capers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice sauce we could rustle up to go with this? We don't eat fish very often, we mainly subsist on pasta, but are trying to vary our diet a bit.

Thanks.

Season the fish with some salt and pepper, fry it in some butter, towards the end add some of the capers to the butter and cook it for a couple minutes, spoon some of the butter/caper sauce over the fish, done. Steam the potatoes and serve with some salt and butter. For the spinach maybe a salad, just make a simple vinaigrette and eat it like that. I find that fish does not need a ton of extra flavors, keep it simple and it holds up very well, capers are strong stuff so use them sparingly.

BTW are these salt packed capers or vinegar packed ones? The Vinegar ones are OK, just don't add the vinegar itself to the sauce, the salt ones are salty as hell so you might want to avoid them for this.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Season the fish with some salt and pepper, fry it in some butter, towards the end add some of the capers to the butter and cook it for a couple minutes, spoon some of the butter/caper sauce over the fish, done. Steam the potatoes and serve with some salt and butter. For the spinach maybe a salad, just make a simple vinaigrette and eat it like that. I find that fish does not need a ton of extra flavors, keep it simple and it holds up very well, capers are strong stuff so use them sparingly.

BTW are these salt packed capers or vinegar packed ones? The Vinegar ones are OK, just don't add the vinegar itself to the sauce, the salt ones are salty as hell so you might want to avoid them for this.

Thank you for the tips!

The capers are jarred in vinegar, so we'll have to strain them first. As you say, I know they are very strong so we won't slap the whole jar in.

We have some olive oil we bought in Crete thinking about it, so that could be a winner for the spinach rather than just piling it all into the pan - didn't even think about a salad (which is why we are having to change our diet!).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

My dad loves baking bread, and I'm looking for a present for his birthday. He likes understanding the theory behind things as well as the practical side, so I thought maybe a book like this would be good:

Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions for a sort of "Everything you ever wanted to know about bread!" type book?
I like bread science

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Francois_Dillinger posted:

Thank you for the tips!

The capers are jarred in vinegar, so we'll have to strain them first. As you say, I know they are very strong so we won't slap the whole jar in.

We have some olive oil we bought in Crete thinking about it, so that could be a winner for the spinach rather than just piling it all into the pan - didn't even think about a salad (which is why we are having to change our diet!).

You can even use the capers in the vinaigrette, though I don't know if you would want to repeat the flavor in two dishes, that might be too much. For the capers I would just use a large spoonful of them, that should be plenty of flavor for the fish since you don't want to overwhelm it. If the butter and caper sauce is too rich it can be cut with some lemon juice, as long as you have some on hand you can taste a little of the sauce and add some lemon at the end if it's too rich for you.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

I like bread science

Thanks! It's quite an expensive book, do you think it's worth 60 bucks?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably not, I got it when it was in print. I see it as 30 bucks though, the author is Emily Buehler It goes over the biochem in the second chapter, but in a manner you don't need a great background with the subject, then it's more practical regarding the various stages of baking a loaf. I love it as a reference as it's higher level and mostly not recipe specific so it helps me determine how I hosed up to avoid it in the future, but if you're father is already a good baker he probably won't need the practical references.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Sounds perfect! Looks like I'll have to import it from the US then, the UK amazon only has it second hand for 50 pounds.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I want to try making a fermented pepper mash (hot sauce base), and the first step is to put the chiles outside (preferably in the sun) to ripen for a day. I don't get a ton of sunlight in my apartment and don't have a porch outside where I can put the chiles, or even any outdoor space where I could put them that isn't just out on the curb. Next best thing?

The heat is more important than the light, if you have a vent or a radiator or something that's a good spot

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a really good vodka sauce recipe? I've been using this one and I love it but I'd love to try other good ones.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Gerblyn posted:

Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" is a great/classic bread book -- but "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish might be even better.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My local store has pork sirloin roasts on sale a lot. They seem to have more fat/connective tissue than a loin or tenderloin, but less than shoulder/butt. What are some good things to do with this?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a recipe for cereal bar type things? I want to make bars out of steel cut oats to take with me in the car for breakfast. Oats keep me full for a long time and are cheap. I assume I bake them, but I'm not sure how long or at what temperature. I usually put peanut butter, raisins, and agave nectar in the oats, would that translate well to a bar?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have a really good vodka sauce recipe? I've been using this one and I love it but I'd love to try other good ones.

I don't have a link handy, but Kenji has some articles on vodka sauce.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for cereal bar type things? I want to make bars out of steel cut oats to take with me in the car for breakfast. Oats keep me full for a long time and are cheap. I assume I bake them, but I'm not sure how long or at what temperature. I usually put peanut butter, raisins, and agave nectar in the oats, would that translate well to a bar?

This is a good recipe you should be able to use as a basis:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1148640/yummy-golden-syrup-flapjacks

You can add peanuts and raisins easily, and leave out the golden syrup to make the bars harder. I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you used Agave Syrup instead of Brown sugar though.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Gerblyn posted:

This is a good recipe you should be able to use as a basis:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1148640/yummy-golden-syrup-flapjacks

You can add peanuts and raisins easily, and leave out the golden syrup to make the bars harder. I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you used Agave Syrup instead of Brown sugar though.

I love BBC good food!!

But yeah, if something slightly healthier/less enormous calory bomb-ish than the 125 grams of butter and 125 grams of brown sugar in that recipe is wanted,
this might be an option as well:

http://minimalistbaker.com/crunchy-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I need to include some pine nuts in a museum display, but one of the rules is that they have to be microwaved before I put them in to kill anything that might be living on them.

What will happen if I microwave fresh, unroasted, unhulled pine nuts?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need to include some pine nuts in a museum display, but one of the rules is that they have to be microwaved before I put them in to kill anything that might be living on them.

Try it out and see?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pretty sure there's one way to find out. I hope they explode, but they probably won't.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm picturing a series of tiny mushroom clouds.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

paraquat posted:

I love BBC good food!!

But yeah, if something slightly healthier/less enormous calory bomb-ish than the 125 grams of butter and 125 grams of brown sugar in that recipe is wanted,
this might be an option as well:

http://minimalistbaker.com/crunchy-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

Being healthy wasn't part of the request :colbert:

Anyways, I like that MB blog, she has a really nice cinnamon role recipe I've made a few times!

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
So shrimp was on buy 2 get 3 at the grocery store so now I have 10 pounds of shrimp in my freezer. I was thinking I'd make paella with some of them and maybe shrimp alfredo? but I need good shrimp recipes to use because those are my only ideas so far.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Shrimp etouffee is my favorite. Shrimp pad thai pretty good too.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Put Old Bay on the shrimp and saute it in butter until it's not pink inside. Put on any other food and it will be delicious.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
If they still have heads or tails or shells, save that stuff after you clean them and freeze it to make stock for bisque or whatever.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

defectivemonkey posted:

Put Old Bay on the shrimp and saute it in butter until it's not pink inside. Put on any other food and it will be delicious.

This is definitely a good fallback that a pound or two will probably be used for. Still would be nice to have more recipes though. Shrimp pad thai and etouffe are definitely good options, I never think about putting shrimp in pad thai for some reason.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Shrimp Skewers erryday. Dip in warm olive oil/lemon/garlic sauce, it's better then drawn butter.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Shrimp Skewers erryday. Dip in warm olive oil/lemon/garlic sauce, it's better then drawn butter.

It has been so cold here over the last little bit I forgot that grilling was going to be a thing that I can do soon!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Shrimp scampi, shrimp gumbo, shrimp fajitas. You could probably watch that scene from Forrest Gump for more inspiration if you needed it.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

This is definitely a good fallback that a pound or two will probably be used for. Still would be nice to have more recipes though. Shrimp pad thai and etouffe are definitely good options, I never think about putting shrimp in pad thai for some reason.

You could also put it in fried rice or tacos. I also have a random shrimp flatbread recipe I've wanted to try.

My shrimp-shell bag is almost full. What do I do now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

defectivemonkey posted:

My shrimp-shell bag is almost full. What do I do now.

Deep fry and eat em like chips

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shrimp and Sausage jambalaya :getin:

Shrimp creole if you aren't already making the etoufee.

Fried shrimp Po boys

Shrimp and grits

I could go on and on

franco
Jan 3, 2003

LorrdErnie posted:

It has been so cold here over the last little bit I forgot that grilling was going to be a thing that I can do soon!

Then these Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa are great!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I recall seeing someone on some public access-esque cooking show say you can use bacon grease in pancakes and waffles, which sounds interesting but I can't find a recipe to tell me how much I should use. So let's say I were to take this recipe, which had some oil already in it. Would anything go wrong if I were to swap some of the oil with an equal part of bacon grease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Drunk Badger posted:

I recall seeing someone on some public access-esque cooking show say you can use bacon grease in pancakes and waffles, which sounds interesting but I can't find a recipe to tell me how much I should use. So let's say I were to take this recipe, which had some oil already in it. Would anything go wrong if I were to swap some of the oil with an equal part of bacon grease?

It sounds like it could be either amazing or a disaster, but I'm going to go with amazing. I'm assuming you should just substitute the same amount of bacon grease for oil. Off the top of my head, the worst thing that could happen would be that the bacon grease wouldn't have the same consistency as the oil and might not bind the other ingredients as well, or any small bacon bits in the grease might burn. But I think it's certainly worth a try.