Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Pastor needs to be in NASCAR, he'll be the new intimidator

With the size of pastors balls, he needs a ride as large as a nascar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

El Hefe posted:

Grossjohn put in a few good performances back when Lotus wasn't complete poo poo, so did Kimi tbf.

He's a good midfield driver now, but that's enough to beat McLaren.

He said the haas is "The best car he's ever driven" apparently. Not bad for a nascar team

Pastor needs to be in NASCAR, he'll be the new intimidator

This is a quality post, and i'd certainly watch at least one race.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'd unironically root for Maldonado.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

keevo posted:

I honestly miss Big Pastor, F1 isn't the same.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

I honestly miss Big Pastor, F1 isn't the same.

I'm sure that new chucklefuck with Manor will take over for him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

I'd probably watch a few Nascar races if he was in there. But yeah if you think that hairy fellow isn't going to replace him you're having a laugh, he's in that exact same sweet spot where he's got some skill but is a bit out of his depth and constantly driving to the limit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

I'm sure that new chucklefuck with Manor will take over for him.
The guy with the racist number?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Our Grosjean, the greatest American, qualified ahead of McLaren, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Manor, Renault and half of Red Bull and Force India, in his second only race as the greatest American.

Big John, Best John.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've seen Pascal Wehrlein speak twice now and am beginning to suspect that he's another German with a sense of humour. "I think manor are where we should be this weekend and we have found our true place" indeed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This Sport :allears:

Breaking news: No details yet but the big meeting happened and they have failed to reach an agreement on changing qualifying so new/poo poo quali stays for the next race atm.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
They should at least agree to revert to the previous system until Todt devises his next experimental hodgepodge.

Horner and Toto have both said the teams just want to revert to the previous system, but I wonder if there's actual consensus. None of the other principals ever say anything.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like how Todt is saying that it's not up to the team principles to make the rules, and that the works teams have too much power and influence over customers so can fix a vote, with no apparent sense of irony,

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Motorsport is saying the new format is out and shock of shocks it's loving stupid. Quali results based on an average of 2 fast laps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sounds bad.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I'm interpreting that as "add the two fastest laps of the session together", not "average them together". It's the same as the previous format but would necessitate more running.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's all so transparently modeled to force teams to just drive the cars more rather than having anything to do with setting a fast lap which is, y'know, what qualifying is about.

Why don't they just outright mandate that teams have to do X laps per session and be done with it. It would still be mega dumb but at least it would simplify poo poo and do away with all the complicated pretense.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's not that bad. It's the old 2015 formal but instead of just one lap it's an aggregate of 2 fast laps so it would be four laps total for each car. The minor problem with the old quali system was that teams would often only do one lap in order to save a set of tyres for the race if they didn't think there was any point to going one or two spots up the grid in Q1 and Q2 so you ended up with a sparse track which the promoters were not happy with.
If we take what happened yesterday, Lewis royally hosed up the first of his two timed laps in Q3 but Rosberg didn't so Rosberg would have been on pole. Would still have been a merc 1 2 so the general order is accurate and does not unfairly punish the faster teams, it just puts pressure on the drivers not to gently caress up which is fair enough imo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of batshit insanity, the manor racing blog is fast becoming the best thing on the internet. "Personally, We’ve never cared where a driver is from" http://www.manorracingfanblog.com/f1-and-nationalism/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We've never cared where a driver is from, unless their government is willing to give us a lot of money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you missed it then this guy is from Indonesia and went utterly mental when the FIA stopped his bots from voting Rio driver of the day and gave it to Grosjean. There was a wall of text and then a week of crying racism while slagging off Haas on twitter.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They should let the Indonesian bots win the vote imo who really gives a poo poo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Goetta posted:

They should let the Indonesian bots win the vote imo who really gives a poo poo

Yeah seriously, I didn't even know this vote was happening until several days later.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

If you missed it then this guy is from Indonesia and went utterly mental when the FIA stopped his bots from voting Rio driver of the day and gave it to Grosjean. There was a wall of text and then a week of crying racism while slagging off Haas on twitter.

Someone buy him an account.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Joe Saward is on ted's notebook looking drunk and a bit homeless.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lol this aggregate system. So instead of "shaking up" the order now we're just reinforcing it. They're just loving with us at this point.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

njsykora posted:

Yeah seriously, I didn't even know this vote was happening until several days later.
But when I discovered it was the Greatest American who won from 6th for the American Team, I would have fought to the death to keep his internet vote award

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Channel 4 is apparently retelling all F1 history with Murray Walker.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That bit was cool, but new not Jake is so bad

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

lol this aggregate system. So instead of "shaking up" the order now we're just reinforcing it. They're just loving with us at this point.

It's not that bad, WEC has been doing this for a while and it's a million times less bad than the elimination style qualy. However, the fun "let's see who's actually on pole when the flag has dropped and everybody's on a hot lap" moments are still lost though and that's a shame.

Oh and it's not like any qualifying format shakes the order up at all, other than "the slowest drivers gets on front" or "draw straws please" qualy formats.

geonetix fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 3, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

geonetix posted:

It's not that bad, WEC has been doing this for a while and it's a million times less bad than the elimination style qualy. However, the fun "let's see who's actually on pole when the flag has dropped and everybody's on a hot lap" moments are still lost though and that's a shame.

right? they want it to be more exciting and yet everything they suggest gets rid of the most exciting part of qualifying.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well it's like the "cost cap" technical regulations, none of which do anything to change the spending, they just make incoherent technical regulations and year long domination by one team because no new development etc. When they could just cap the costs.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It can still be exciting I think if the first laps are fairly close. If the Mercs are .5 faster than everyone the first lap then the second one will be pretty boring I guess.

I guess the system last year there was always hope until the end if you didn't have access to split data to know that Mercedes was purple the first two sectors.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Qualifying could be a single flying lap for each driver, running order = last race finish so previous winner has disadvantage of running on a cooler track.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The hot lap thing will still be there though. It will just make it more complicated for fans to work out unless they do something with the timing screen so the second lap time is added on to the first lap time. That was the problem last time with aggregate, as back then the on screen timing was so poo poo you spent a great deal of the race trying to figure out for yourself what the order was and which lap they were on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sir Jackie loving with Brundle

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think that may have been the most awkward grid walk yet.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Those stands in the background of the national anthem are not looking particularly busy

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Vettel is going to win this, i'm realy feeling it!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm so confident that Vettel will win that I might skip this Grand Prix, lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DaveP posted:

Those stands in the background of the national anthem are not looking particularly busy

It's been pretty empty all weekend from the support races I've seen.

• Locked thread