Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OhDearGodNo posted:

This needs to be printed and framed.

I am so on it man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Started modeling an anti-ship weapon for the Stimpire for my next addition. It looks pretty conventional and shares some design concepts with the Recon Scout, such as the maneuvering globe and

But, what's this pod here?

Let me turn the sphere off so we can take a peak...

My idea, based off someone's joke about the Stimpire shooting heads at the enemy, is that human life is so cheap in the Stimpire that, if it's cheaper to use a biological component than create a computer analog, they will convert some poor slave into that "biological component". It's cheaper for them to pull some sod off the street, cut his head off, rig him up like that Russian dog and have him fed off a saline drip, put some Skinner conditioning and plug him into a space cruise missile instead of developing an intelligent guidance system.

BTW, it's been awhile since I modeled heads and faces, does anyone have a good tutorial on how to do it? I started off with a 8x8 sectioned sphere that I was taught in school, but it's been a long time and I screwed up. The head displayed is my second attempt and I'm still not sure if I got it to subdivide right.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy gently caress that pgabz fanart is amazing!

It seems like every morning when I catch up with the thread I have a new favorite thing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nice.

Insert this machine into the Stimpire lore.

Hell I will make it as the mcguffin for the first novel.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Wouldn't it actually be good if the regular CIG employees found out about it ahead of time then?

I mean, yeah I understand that their funds being frozen can't be discussed until a specific date that the Feds decided, but certainly all the top brass already know about it.

If it leaked to the regular employees they would have a two-day headstart to pawn the coffee machine and steal the Restoration Hardware furniture before being barred from the buildings.

EDIT: and apply to various "food service industry" positions.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Google Butt posted:

i think there is a tinge of jealously mixed in there, but i really do think derek cares about the people who are outside that tier 1/tier 2 group of people at cig. the ones trying to feed their families while being called a ball-less faggots by the owners wife

Anyone who thinks that I'm capable of being jealous, doesn't know a drat thing about me. Of course, since that's the standard reaction from people who know what jealousy is about, it makes sense that those people who think this, are incapable of understanding precisely what makes certain people tick. Small minds tend to not wander much from the narrative of one's own misgivings.

I have no plausible reason to be jealous of Chris Roberts.

He hasn't done anything that I can't or haven't done.

He's not a better developer than I am. That would be patently laughable. Especially considering that, unlike the 12-14 years since he stopped actually coding, the dev process and skills have advanced so much that he'd need to go back to take entry level courses just to catch up. Heck, the guy didn't even know what shaders were just a few months back.

He certainly doesn't live a better lifestyle than I do. Granted, I don't have a cook, but everything I have, I worked hard for - and don't live off of backer money. I sell product. I get paid. Rinse. Repeat.

And in all my years, I've never cheated, let alone obtained gamer money through deceptive practices. I worked very hard to stay in the biz while a bunch of my friends are long gone. He begged his way back in.

And I am certainly better off not owning a bunch of autistic man-children over $110M and with no hopes of giving them anything they promised.

If I was jealous, I would never have backed his project from the very beginning.

Don't confuse resentment for jealousy. There is a difference.

I resent him for the train wreck that he has selfishly set in motion, at the detriment of space-combat (my career bread and butter) fans as well as talented engineers who are now going to pay the price of this arrogance and hubris.

I do applaud him for calling me out and coming after me though. Had he not done that, starting from the attempts (they lied) at using PR spin (e.g. the PC Gamer press release they sent out) surrounding my refund, down to the masterpiece clusterfuck that was The Escapist/DSmart diatribe, I won't have paid too much attention to him. He unwittingly set in motion yet another of the biggest gaming industry fiascos of modern times; and with me at the glorious center of it all. Decades from now, when people are talking about the Star Citizen clusterfuck, they will forever have no choice but to mention my name. And that, to me, is the biggest payback in all of this. Then again, I would still love to see someone get jail time from the collapse of this poo poo-show.

He's hosed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D1E posted:

Wouldn't it actually be good if the regular CIG employees found out about it ahead of time then?

I mean, yeah I understand that their funds being frozen can't be discussed until a specific date that the Feds decided, but certainly all the top brass already know about it.

If it leaked to the regular employees they would have a two-day headstart to pawn the coffee machine and steal the Restoration Hardware furniture before being barred from the buildings.

EDIT: and apply to various "food service industry" positions.

Chill the gently caress Out. Just wait until it is released, man.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fat Status: I now weigh less than I have at any point in the last two years. gently caress yeah.

It is a good feeling isn't it?

The YLLS thread welcomes converts from the worst threads (mine was the old GBS fat thread)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

Will Sandi update her Twitter that she has been thinking about a role on Orange is the New Black and is preparing by doing some old-school method-acting immersion?

hot diggity you sure are askin alot a questions boi :clint:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

gipskrampf posted:

As an interesting sidenote to this whole story, here's Ben Lesnicks reaction back in 2004:

Jesus Christ.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

I am so on it man

You are a good hero.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skellybones posted:

His game design makes a lot more sense if you work from the assumption that he doesn't expect anyone to buy them.

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Reharakhti posted:

I made some peter gabriel fanart
Hope you see it peter, your videos are the best :3

:five: :five: :five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

poo poo, Derek. I don't consider myself OCD, but everyone I've ever lived with has commented on my specific rules for loading the dishwasher. Bowls go on the top rack, with one space between them. Dishes on the bottom, small dishes next to each other, large dishes with a space between. There's just a certain way things need to be arranged in order to be cleaned properly. Silverware is separated by type into the baskets, handle end up, so you can grab them out in easy handfuls to put in the drawer.

I'm also specific about cleaning my glasses, but can't get into buying disposables; best I've found is old soft-knit underwear. When you get a bunch of crud in the edges of your frames, you can stick them in the dishwasher.

I soak mine in a bowl of warm water and liquid soap for a few mins.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Banano posted:

Buy a small ultrasonic cleaner, you will NOT regret it

I have never tried those. Any specific brand I should try?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

If your glasses have any kind of coating on them, Windex is not good. It contains ammonia, and ammonia can damage coatings. If you want to use anything other than breath, or distilled water, I'd recommend high purity isopropyl alcohol. Same applies to screens.

I've been considering it. I hate glasses, loving pain in the rear end. I prefer the vision I get with contact lenses, but I just can't tolerate contact lenses on a regular basis. They drive my eyes crazy.

Yeah, mine are Crizal. I have two pairs. The reading/computer ones, and the outdoor ones which have auto solar tinting

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

You still come off jealous and salty as gently caress, though.

EDIT: Quintuple posting, really?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FrankieGoes posted:

Jesus Christ.
Wait till somebody posts that photo of Ben destroying copies of non-WC space sims with a hammer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

D_Smart posted:

He hasn't done anything that I can't or haven't done.

Hmm well about that...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Can you clear something up for me? How is modding a bad thing for a game?

Some of the Benefits I see as a Player / Modder

1) People have to buy your game to mod it
2) Cool mods are going to attract customers the base game didn't
3) Modders work for free optimizing and expanding on your game
4) Modding extends the lifespan of a game dramatically (Freelancer? Armada 2? Allegiance? Freespace 2?

I get that it's an IP Issue but a lot of developers actively encourage modding by building in tools to help with it. Is it a worry that random spergs are going to make a more autistic simulator than you and cost you money? Or did someone somewhere say something that rubbed you the wrong way, so you tore down a business deal as a result?

One of my favorite recent space games, Starsector, actively encourages modding, the developer helps instruct people on how to create them, and the game has gotten way more exposure and popular because there is about 10x mod content over what the base game brings to the table.

Here's the thing. I never said any of that. Period.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

As someone completely unaware of the Freespace drama that occured, what exactly do you mean when you say "usual entitlement bullshit"?

who gets to make it

what they want in it

what they want it to be etc

You know, like they have a loving stake in it either way.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I do applaud him for calling me out and coming after me though. Had he not done that, starting from the attempts (they lied) at using PR spin (e.g. the PC Gamer press release they sent out) surrounding my refund, down to the masterpiece clusterfuck that was The Escapist/DSmart diatribe, I won't have paid too much attention to him. He unwittingly set in motion yet another of the biggest gaming industry fiascos of modern times; and with me at the glorious center of it all. Decades from now, when people are talking about the Star Citizen clusterfuck, they will forever have no choice but to mention my name. And that, to me, is the biggest payback in all of this. Then again, I would still love to see someone get jail time from the collapse of this poo poo-show.

He's hosed.

TL:DR Thanks Derek!

Full disclosure here.

I am a Golden Ticket holder that joined the CIG forums about 1 or 2 weeks before the kickstarter was announced after having discovered the website by accident (I was looking for freespace 2 mods), and I was genuinely excited to discover Chris was doing a new game in the style of Wing Commander, et al.

Then they asked for 2 million and I thought, woah thats a lot of money, lets just see how this goes... Then they ended up with 6 million and I though, well they dont need my money, lets see how it develops.

I couldnt help thinking about what happened with Freelancer and thought it was best to wait until they actually started showing some gameplay footage before giving them any money...the years past and despite some cool CG ship adverts, it never came.

Then they launched Arena Commander.

Now by this time I was deep into the Elite Alpha and was expecting to be blown away by AC, especially after the 5 months of delays they had in getting it out.

The fact that it was a buggy mess came as a shock (the Elite Alpha by comparison was a thing of beauty), thats when I started having grave doubts about how CIG was being ran.

Then Derek started his Star Citizen blogs and I found myself basically agreeing with everything he was saying. Now you have to remember that I bought Battlecruiser 3000AD back in the day, which was ... well ... not as well executed as it might have been. ;) So I was no fan of Derek's.

Yet, not only am I here nodding my head and agreeing with his assessments of CIG, but I have ended up joining the SA fourms after a few months of lurking and reading, so that I can fully enjoy the ensuing poo poo storm thats coming.

So whatever else anyone says about Derek, I have to say thanks for having the balls to say what everyone else was thinking, but didn't have the courage to say.

What a strange and wonderful time we live in!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Reharakhti posted:

paaaarp

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile at CIG.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Derek you promised us a lawsuit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

StarBegotten posted:

TL:DR Thanks Derek!

Full disclosure here.

I am a Golden Ticket holder that joined the CIG forums about 1 or 2 weeks before the kickstarter was announced after having discovered the website by accident (I was looking for freespace 2 mods), and I was genuinely excited to discover Chris was doing a new game in the style of Wing Commander, et al.

Then they asked for 2 million and I thought, woah thats a lot of money, lets just see how this goes... Then they ended up with 6 million and I though, well they dont need my money, lets see how it develops.

I couldnt help thinking about what happened with Freelancer and thought it was best to wait until they actually started showing some gameplay footage before giving them any money...the years past and despite some cool CG ship adverts, it never came.

Then they launched Arena Commander.

Now by this time I was deep into the Elite Alpha and was expecting to be blown away by AC, especially after the 5 months of delays they had in getting it out.

The fact that it was a buggy mess came as a shock (the Elite Alpha by comparison was a thing of beauty), thats when I started having grave doubts about how CIG was being ran.

Then Derek started his Star Citizen blogs and I found myself basically agreeing with everything he was saying. Now you have to remember that I bought Battlecruiser 3000AD back in the day, which was ... well ... not as well executed as it might have been. ;) So I was no fan of Derek's.

Yet, not only am I here nodding my head and agreeing with his assessments of CIG, but I have ended up joining the SA fourms after a few months of lurking and reading, so that I can fully enjoy the ensuing poo poo storm thats coming.

So whatever else anyone says about Derek, I have to say thanks for having the balls to say what everyone else was thinking, but didn't have the courage to say.

What a strange and wonderful time we live in!

you can just say "poo poo" it's cool.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

I have never tried those. Any specific brand I should try?

Don't think it matters too much as there's not much to them really. Mine was about £30 and has lasted 5 years so far.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fat Status: I now weigh less than I have at any point in the last two years. gently caress yeah.

good stuff!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

equipment stored under the machine :negative:

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

you can just say "poo poo" it's cool.

But I want to be one of the cools kids!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Friendly Humour posted:

Derek you promised us a lawsuit

Its a typo, there's going to be a giant fursuit delivered wednesday

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Roeben posted:

You still come off jealous and salty as gently caress, though.

EDIT: Quintuple posting, really?

Just post.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

OK last "speculation" post for a while, because it seems to be upsetting folks.

I can read a lot into not only what has been said, but also by the very deliberate lack of quoting/response to many of my questions, especially by the forum regulars who appear to be in the know and typically love to join in the speculation.

From that, I can assume that there's no way this won't somehow get to CIG employees ahead of time.

I wish them all well. Not you Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner and Ortwin Freyermuth and all you Swedish mafia dudes. But the regular employees who wanted to make a cool game.

Advice: use the gently caress out of that espresso machine while you still can.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Reharakhti posted:

Wowzers :aaa:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I always see it as Derek Smart makes games that Derek Smart would enjoy playing. If you don't enjoy it, that's your problem, you should be Derek Smart so you can enjoy the game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here is my speculation, nothing outrageous is going to happen in the next 30-90 days, just like nothing outrageous happened in the last 30-90 days (I mean beyond the usual stupidity of people donating millions of dollars to a broken non-game). There is no ELE and Derek is either expertly yanking your chains or just believes himself to be the Thomas Friedman of space games. CIG will not be raided by the feds (of which country? Why?). They're far more likely to start laying people off in a couple of months as it becomes obvious that the budget won't allow for full-time development of SQ42 and the PU, not as long as both of them are going nowhere fast.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

this is where we recycle cigs waste water and you get it here! Hot and Fresh!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I always see it as Derek Smart makes games that Derek Smart would enjoy playing. If you don't enjoy it, that's your problem, you should be Derek Smart so you can enjoy the game.

"You must be this Smart to ride this Battlecruiser"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

D_Smart posted:

The secret is on the fourth wall.
....and so it came to pass that after searching high and low, he finally saw the signs on shelf 3

As was written in volume 11 of Genesis, when sons of man decided to construct what became the tower of Babel, God confounded their speech and scattered them to all corners of the Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

As was written in volume 11 of Genesis, when sons of man decided to construct what became the tower of Babel, God confounded their speech and scattered them to all corners of the Earth.

And so the third clue arrives.

• Locked thread