Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
He only uses facecams when streaming. Makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

As is the artillery with shock pips. Just the worst.

Artillery provide half their defence to the unit in front of them, so shock defence is actually worthwhile. Not shock attack though, you're right there.

My ignorance of this game continues to cause surprises. Playing as Bohemia and having won the League War for the papists, I found out that doing so makes it actually harder to accrue IA than if I'd just gone for Religious Peace. The bonus for doing so really doesn't make Catholic superiority worthwhile.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Geez a lotta strong opinions about Quill here. I don't really enjoy watching his stuff but I don't exactly see how he's hateable, he seems extremely inoffensive.

That Joe guy that did the Stellaris preview the other day OTOH..

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Quill is fine, but he does seem to be very forgetful when he plays games.

Then again, DDRjake claims to be nearly blind which also manifests in the near-mistakes/actual mistakes he makes while playing EU4 such as occasional unintended trucebreaking or leaving his 5 shock general behind when going in a battle with equal numbers.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
None of the EU4 streamers are really bad, because none of them are TotalBiscuit. DDRJake is clearly the guy with the most knowledge about the game tough, both Quill and Arumba have their facepalm moments.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YF-23 posted:

That's kinda weird, being so turned off by facecams that you refuse to watch anything that has one.

No it isn't.

"That's kinda weird, being so turned off by feces that you refuse to eat a meal containing any."

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I don't know why anybody is surprised that goons can't stand to see another human being.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Question about the game, if I may: Is there a rule of thumb for knowing how many big ships you should have in your fleet (let's assume I'm playing as England or Portugal or someone with a need for shooty ships)? Just keep an eye on the ledger and try to have more than your enemies, maybe?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Question about the game, if I may: Is there a rule of thumb for knowing how many big ships you should have in your fleet (let's assume I'm playing as England or Portugal or someone with a need for shooty ships)? Just keep an eye on the ledger and try to have more than your enemies, maybe?

Yes, just have more heavies than your enemy.

This will change with the next expansion which is revamping naval combat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, just have more heavies than your enemy.

This will change with the next expansion which is revamping naval combat

Well. I'll ask again next week then. Thanks!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Or if your poo poo is all inland sea then possibly use galleys? Unless your naval force limit is low but you have the money to afford heavies

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

None of the EU4 streamers are really bad, because none of them are TotalBiscuit. DDRJake is clearly the guy with the most knowledge about the game tough, both Quill and Arumba have their facepalm moments.

DDRJake has his own blind spots where he has never learned certain mechanics properly, like estates and trade, or is still playing like it's launch EU4, like buildings. He's always poor for no reason! Still fun to watch though.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Unfortunately we don't live in a post-scarecam society

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How can someone who regularly plays with Cossacks enabled not know how the Estates mechanic works, it's one of the most intuitive and well-explained systems in the game. The system is so simple I'm not even sure how someone could not know how they work

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

How can someone who regularly plays with Cossacks enabled not know how the Estates mechanic works, it's one of the most intuitive and well-explained systems in the game. The system is so simple I'm not even sure how someone could not know how they work

Well it's basically a symptom of DDRJake's disinterest in figuring out what his provinces are good at and making them better at that, which makes him bad at buildings, development, and estates. I dunno if he just thinks that's boring to watch and it's intentional when he has an audience or what, but other than slapping down the clergy to speed up conversion times he never gives anything to his estates unless he has to even when the bonuses of, say, giving a high trade province to the merchants obviously outweigh the 25% autonomy. :shrug:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Well it's basically a symptom of DDRJake's disinterest in figuring out what his provinces are good at and making them better at that, which makes him bad at buildings, development, and estates. I dunno if he just thinks that's boring to watch and it's intentional when he has an audience or what, but other than slapping down the clergy to speed up conversion times he never gives anything to his estates unless he has to even when the bonuses of, say, giving a high trade province to the merchants obviously outweigh the 25% autonomy. :shrug:

I can imagine how difficult it is for all these guys to stream EUIV though, there's a delicate balance between keeping the pace up, being thorough, and also occasionally reading/responding to twitch chat. As much as I hate to watch monarch points go green font, I'd also hate it if the streamer was pausing every four seconds to crosscheck all their numbers.

The thing I hate about DDRJake is that for all his disinterest in optimizing, he still manages to do things like take over Europe as Nevers on his first go.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Weird, I just got Basileus and apparently 2% of people have it. That in and of itself isn't weird, but only 0.48% have Turn the Tables. I guess Basileus "seems" more bragworthy so more people go for it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

I can imagine how difficult it is for all these guys to stream EUIV though, there's a delicate balance between keeping the pace up, being thorough, and also occasionally reading/responding to twitch chat. As much as I hate to watch monarch points go green font, I'd also hate it if the streamer was pausing every four seconds to crosscheck all their numbers.

The thing I hate about DDRJake is that for all his disinterest in optimizing, he still manages to do things like take over Europe as Nevers on his first go.

Not sure Nevers was his first go. I wasn't there for the stream but the way he talked it seemed to me like this was the second attempt.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

double nine posted:

Not sure Nevers was his first go. I wasn't there for the stream but the way he talked it seemed to me like this was the second attempt.

I'd be happy if I got it after my 10th attempt (except I'd be lamenting my wasted life)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jsor posted:

Weird, I just got Basileus and apparently 2% of people have it. That in and of itself isn't weird, but only 0.48% have Turn the Tables. I guess Basileus "seems" more bragworthy so more people go for it?

Basileus has been around for longer, too.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jsor posted:

Turn the tables is boring and easy if you aim for it from the start, and impossible to just get randomly if you play normally.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Nobody posted the latest EU4 dev diary, I wonder w-

This game is dead to me now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Somewhere deep within Paradox's office dungeons, the rattling of chains and screams of Groogy echo.

"YOU PROMISED, JOHAN!"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like this would be a huge slog, although being able to form it as a pagan is a neat touch.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is no mention of it requiring a capital in Europe.

Add an achievement for restoring Rome as Kongo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jazerus posted:

Somewhere deep within Paradox's office dungeons, the rattling of chains and screams of Groogy echo.

"YOU PROMISED, JOHAN!"

to what promise do you refer?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I last played this when it first game out (no DLC.) I recently picked up all the DLC on sale somewhere (up through cossacks.) I have a few questions and could use some quick tips or general rules.

1) Development. Do I only do this if I am maxing out my points and need to dump some?

2) Forts. Should I cover all of my territory with forts and fort-adjacency? Just mothball the stuff in the interior and near friendly borders until war?

3) Are any idea groups utter garbage? I usually just google what's good and use it but there's a lot of out of date info on this game's wiki and guides. I usually grab a MIL or DIP idea group to start since I like to get up to Admin Tech 10 ASAP, making my 3rd group ADM.

4) What're some fun nations to play that aren't huge clusterfucks? I don't really want to manage a giant empire. I'd rather focus on my culture group and have little goals or just survive. As an example, my second game back I hosed off to the new world as Navarre and it was kinda fun (swtiched my capital to the new world and Navarre province to spain.) Poland was kinda fun til I ate Lithuania and I'm overwhelmed with territory to manage and factions to please.

5) The factions in Cossacks. Do I let them have one territory and develop it as they whine about their % share or just give them a new poo poo province each time they fall under the threshold?

6) Buildings are way different (capped!) Any general rules? I usually build the production stuff in territories with expensive trade goods (3.0+ gold) and the trade buildings in CoT and estuaries/terrain trade modifiers. Should I just build manpower poo poo in the provinces not met by either of those other things?

All the DLC added so much poo poo that I'm sure there's more stuff I'm not even aware I don't understand, so I'll figure out as I play mostly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm stacking galley strength with Naval ideas as Aragon, +45%. :smug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mahasamatman posted:

I last played this when it first game out (no DLC.) I recently picked up all the DLC on sale somewhere (up through cossacks.) I have a few questions and could use some quick tips or general rules.

1) Development. Do I only do this if I am maxing out my points and need to dump some?

Yeah basically. There are edge cases, like if you have a 19 development province that you'd really, really like to put another building on, where developing is a good use of points rather than just an overflow buffer, but they don't come up too terribly often. Sometimes if you're feeling hemmed in and outmatched a good way to get a leg up is to do some mil development, but it's still not worth delaying a tech or idea for, so it's still basically an overflow buffer. Much better than just rerolling generals to waste points like the old days though.

quote:

2) Forts. Should I cover all of my territory with forts and fort-adjacency? Just mothball the stuff in the interior and near friendly borders until war?

You can but probably shouldn't unless you're really small or you just have that many strategic chokepoints (East Africa comes to mind). While forts give you strategic depth, they also give your enemies a chance to establish strategic depth inside your country, which is holy poo poo a huge pain in the rear end. Keep them in border regions, chokepoints, and maybe a ring near your capital as well as your capital itself, but nowhere else. You'll tear down a lot of former border forts operating this way but who cares, usually you've just taken them from the AI and only ever paid the maintenance anyway. Mothballing is a pretty complicated choice, though, actually. Not mothballing any forts is expensive but gives you army tradition, plus it makes the AI rate your strength higher in their internal decision model of whether to gently caress with you or not.

quote:

3) Are any idea groups utter garbage? I usually just google what's good and use it but there's a lot of out of date info on this game's wiki and guides. I usually grab a MIL or DIP idea group to start since I like to get up to Admin Tech 10 ASAP, making my 3rd group ADM.

Naval and Maritime are pretty bad except in very special situations. Aristocratic kind of sucks, but only because all the other mil ideas are a lot better. Economic and Trade are usually pretty superfluous since even if you're an Asian or African nation you still have some of the trade company regions available as well as all of the Americas to colonize for bonus merchants, though Economic does make you hilariously impervious to inflation. Influence is almost always better than Diplomatic IMO but that's a thing that people disagree about, both are good. Espionage is not very good but may be good in Mare Nostrum. Otherwise I can't think of any groups I'd put serious caveats on.

quote:

4) What're some fun nations to play that aren't huge clusterfucks? I don't really want to manage a giant empire. I'd rather focus on my culture group and have little goals or just survive. As an example, my second game back I hosed off to the new world as Navarre and it was kinda fun (swtiched my capital to the new world and Navarre province to spain.) Poland was kinda fun til I ate Lithuania and I'm overwhelmed with territory to manage and factions to please.

Lots of choices here. You might want to consider non-European nations for this sort of game as there's usually less of a thunderdome feeling going on than in Europe; Majapahit or Bengal would be reasonable choices.

quote:

5) The factions in Cossacks. Do I let them have one territory and develop it as they whine about their % share or just give them a new poo poo province each time they fall under the threshold?

Don't think of them as penalties like this, they're actually bonuses if you use them right. I mean, yeah, give the clergy the poo poo provinces, but the nobility give a hefty manpower bonus and the merchants are very good in high trade provinces - those bonuses outweigh the 25% autonomy by a lot. So you should think of it the other way around for those two - how do I give them what I want to give them without going over the threshold?

quote:

6) Buildings are way different (capped!) Any general rules? I usually build the production stuff in territories with expensive trade goods (3.0+ gold) and the trade buildings in CoT and estuaries/terrain trade modifiers. Should I just build manpower poo poo in the provinces not met by either of those other things?

All the DLC added so much poo poo that I'm sure there's more stuff I'm not even aware I don't understand, so I'll figure out as I play mostly.

Yeah you have the building rules figured out. Other options for trash provinces include docks and regimental camps for extra force limit. Make sure you're building temples basically everywhere over 3 adm too though, that's an important long-term investment to keep your income robust in the face of overextension, blockades, and other trade-crippling scenarios.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aren't you also able to travel directly through adjacent enemy forts or something? I seem to recall "don't have adjacent forts" as a hard rule for that reason but could be misremembering. I destroy any adjacent forts that I acquire due to this reason and also because I like having control zones that don't overlap

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Aren't you also able to travel directly through adjacent enemy forts or something? I seem to recall "don't have adjacent forts" as a hard rule for that reason but could be misremembering. I destroy any adjacent forts that I acquire due to this reason and also because I like having control zones that don't overlap

I haven't tested this recently, but I thought that one fort would block access to the other, which one blocks which was never really a clear thing to me. I also delete adjacent forts for zone of control reasons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Some countries can do defense in depth pretty well. Mali or Songhai are a great example, since you can easily afford to build a ton of forts. Stack +defensiveness and crush the Iberians by forcing them to waste all their manpower in your malaria-infested hellhole.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 3, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Had a really rough start as Castille. Couldn't even ally Portugal due to lovely rival/alliance combinations. Ended up settling for... Morocco and Burgundy. Then I got the Burgundian Inheritance. Then I got the Iberian Wedding. Other than bleeding diplo points due to being over the relationship limit I went from in a terrible position Castille-wise to being broken and almost the emperor with no effort. I never even touched France, they're just sitting there boxed in and crying. (Though I am regretting that, using transports all the time is getting annoying).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just blew a really promising Ceylon start (ate the entire southern half of India) by provoking and turning on Bahmanis (the northern half) too early. I don't know why I always forget how dangerous Bahmanis is, they have great troops from their army tradition/Shia morale and they have enough money to run all mercs all forcelimit all the time. I think the problem is I wasn't fast enough to grab the coastline from Orissa and got bottled in.

edit: oh what the hell, i had a great start going, declared on Venad to get their ally Vijay in during a truce timer. While everyone made a beeline for my territory Kochin swooped in and annexed Venad, meaning somehow Vijay became the warleader for the defense of a territory belonging to a neutral party and got to call in all their friends.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 3, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What are some early idea choices for ottomans that I should look at?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zotix posted:

Admin side, Administrative (for hilariously low coring costs) or Humanist (for accepting everyone's culture and religion). Diplo, look at Influence to up your vassal feeding game. I wouldn't take an early military idea personally, those first few mil techs are very important.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zotix posted:

I love going Humanist > Diplomatic > Admin > military ideas to taste

The policy you can grab for having Humanist and Diplo increases Accepted Culture Threshold and increases Better Relations Over Time, which helps your AE go away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 3, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zotix posted:

Administrative, Offensive, Religious, in that order. A lot of people say you need to take Humanist ideas, but I find that it's overkill. The only real benefit to going super tolerant is the Dhimmi estate, and with the 1.16 estate changes they're incredibly difficult to keep happy. And you lose the estate entirely when you westernize. The better relations bonus is nice, but AE can be managed by just alternating between eastward and westward expansion. Religious ideas give you the invaluable Deus Vult. Without it, you're going to be sitting around fabricating claims for a looooong time, even with all the mission claims the Ottos get.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Why offensive second? Your armies will be able to handily wreck their opposition for a long time to come, I wouldn't bother with military ideas as Ottomans until later. Personally exploration second is what I'd choose; you'll be breaking out into the Persian Gulf or Red Sea around that time, and getting it that early means you can pretty much swallow the entirety of the colonizable Eastern Hemisphere before the Europeans can get a foot in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have a massive hardon for siege ability bonuses.

• Locked thread