Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also, slightly different topic to my previous post:

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us". They are also the only Abrahamic religions that does not have a mission to proselytize.

As for Christianity, it was created as a religion of peaceful resistance against oppression and was perverted by people who wanted to use it for brutality and warmongering, while Islam was created by an Arabic warlord who used it to organize his warmongering and brutality. That does not mean that the House of Saud and the Muslim Brotherhood are not to blame for the current mess, but there is a clear difference between those 3 religions.

It's okay when Moses did it, but it's bad when Muhammed did it?

Remember when Elisha killed a bunch of children for calling him bald? No? 2 Kings 2:23-24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

Better hope your daughter has never ridden a bike then, because Deuteronomy 22:21-22 says if there's no blood on the sheets she should be stoned to death by the village men.

Check out 22:23-24 too, which says if an engaged virgin is raped in the city she must be stoned to death too, because she clearly wasn't trying hard enough to get away and therefore she enjoys it.

Totally in line with the laws at the time and I'm not aware of a single Jew that wants to stone people anymore. Maybe you can tell me about those?

Tesseraction posted:

As to your proselytising, perhaps, but it also says in Deuteronomy 13:1-11 that apostasy should be punished by stoning.

It is seen as betraying your family and people, but again, please show me the Jews that still believe that people should be stoned. Moreover those laws are only about how Jews should act and behave and not about how Jews should force everyone else to behave.

Brainiac Five posted:

Psalm 137:8-9

"O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one, how blessed will be the one who repays you with the recompense with which you have repaid us. How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rocks."

Well, as I said, loving with the Jews is prohibited in the Bible and enslaving all Jews and destroying the first temple definitely falls under that definition.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, as I said, loving with the Jews is prohibited in the Bible and enslaving all Jews and destroying the first temple definitely falls under that definition.

You're a child murderer but also historically and biblically wrong. If all the Jews had been enslaved, who exactly were the people who rebuilt Jerusalem under Ezra and Nehemiah? Not that your rotted brain will understand this question.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Totally in line with the laws at the time and I'm not aware of a single Jew that wants to stone people anymore. Maybe you can tell me about those?

It is seen as betraying your family and people, but again, please show me the Jews that still believe that people should be stoned. Moreover those laws are only about how Jews should act and behave and not about how Jews should force everyone else to behave.

Actually I was hoping you would ask me to show you examples of Jewish people advocating it, because by this you agree that the text of the book has little relevance to the practices observed in the modern world. So, we can take it that the text of the religious book is no guarantee of dangerous, illiberal or violent behaviour.

To this extent, why is Islam singled out as a religion of repressive laws that cannot liberalise in the modern world?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Brainiac Five posted:

You're a child murderer but also historically and biblically wrong. If all the Jews had been enslaved, who exactly were the people who rebuilt Jerusalem under Ezra and Nehemiah? Not that your rotted brain will understand this question.

I don't really get where your problem lies. The first sentence in the book spells it out that the Jews are ruled by Cyrus, king of Persia.

quote:

Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia [that is, the first year he ruled Babylon], in order to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah [the prophet], the Lord stirred up (put in motion) the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't really get where your problem lies. The first sentence in the book spells it out that the Jews are ruled by Cyrus, king of Persia.

Do you not understand what slavery is? I suppose that you are a slaver as well as a child-murderer.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Are you guys seriously arguing over what 2000 or 1300 year old religious scripture is worse?

Gaaahahahaha!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Let's add fuel to the fire!
Air France faces staff mutiny in headscarf row

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ligur posted:

Are you guys seriously arguing over what 2000 or 1300 year old religious scripture is worse?

Gaaahahahaha!

Religion in TYOOL 2016: best taken in homeopathic amounts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I'd sue the gently caress out of my employer.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

I agree with a French union... I feel so dirty.... must wash...

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

I'd sue the gently caress out of my employer.

Why sue when you can, you know,

~ STRIKE ~

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Why sue when you can, you know,

~ STRIKE ~

Why not both? :france:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"Those that don’t want to [adhere to the dress code] must be able to say they don’t want to work on those flights.” - union spokesperson

Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Gotta love the French when it comes to secularism, it seems like that's their one strong suit

quote:

When the interviewer suggested certain women made the decision of their own free will to cover themselves, Rossignol replied: “Of course, they are women who make the choice … there were also … American negroes who were in favour of slavery.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/30/french-womens-rights-minister-laurence-rossignol-accused-racism-negro

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Gotta love the French when it comes to secularism, it seems like that's their one strong suit

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/30/french-womens-rights-minister-laurence-rossignol-accused-racism-negro

Why do Europeans spend so much time on slavery in the US? Wasn't the slave trade in the Caribbean and Brazil much more brutal in terms of life expectancy? Shouldn't she be referencing Haiti instead?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hypnorotic posted:

Why do Europeans spend so much time on slavery in the US? Wasn't the slave trade in the Caribbean and Brazil much more brutal in terms of life expectancy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hypnorotic posted:

Why do Europeans spend so much time on slavery in the US? Wasn't the slave trade in the Caribbean and Brazil much more brutal in terms of life expectancy? Shouldn't she be referencing Haiti instead?

Haiti and Brazil are not cultural superpowers flooding every part of the planet with their history and pop culture.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
is there any such imposition for flights going to Saudi Arabia or any of the other cover-up nations?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah I sort of agree with her point here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I agree, women covering their hair is an affront to feminism. Or did you not read the article and see she was referring to abayas and hijab generally?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

Haiti and Brazil are not cultural superpowers flooding every part of the planet with their history and pop culture.

They are, however, systems imposed by Europeans that were abolished after independence.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

They are, however, systems imposed by Europeans that were abolished after independence.
Doesn't change the fact that US cultural dominance is so powerful that it assimilates people outside its border, to the point that US history is as natural a reference point as their own, if not more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doesn't change the fact that US cultural dominance is so powerful that it assimilates people outside its border, to the point that US history is as natural a reference point as their own, if not more.

Or it could just mean Europeans don't want to point out their own shameful poo poo, like the :heritage: types here.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

You're kind of making a completely bullshit connection between their independence and the Abolition of slavery, except for Haiti of course.

Like seriously, the Brazilians were super attached to slavery to the bitter end.

computer parts posted:

Or it could just mean Europeans don't want to point out their own shameful poo poo, like the :heritage: types here.

Your are singularly obsessed with whinging about Europe aren't you?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Does anyone know what is in the association treaty with Ukraine? Us dutchies are having a referendum on it but the arguments are all over the place and super vague..

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Or did you not read the article and see she was referring to abayas and hijab generally?

I'm being lazy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

Your are singularly obsessed with whinging about Europe aren't you?

Well yeah, it is the Europe thread.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

Well yeah, it is the Europe thread.

We could be in Heavy Petting and you'd find the time to go 'Heh, Europeans :smug:' every two posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

A modern Brit is not that much more related to the 18th century British Empire than a modern American. Both are remote descendants of it.

You don't just get to distance yourself from your European roots and all the horrible poo poo that our ancestors did. Stand by you stupid, inbred European family branch. :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

khwarezm posted:

'Heh, Yurpeans :smug:'

ftfy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

A modern Brit is not that much more related to the 18th century British Empire than a modern American. Both are remote descendants of it.

You don't just get to distance yourself from your European roots and all the horrible poo poo that our ancestors did. Stand by you stupid, inbred European family branch. :colbert:

Ok, but the Mexican part of my family might not like that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's actually because we dislike cultural imperialists like you denying the way your cultural dominance strips other cultures of their history.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Spaniards are Europeans too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

They better be full blooded native Americans who can't speak any Spanish otherwise you need to answer for the Caste war of Yucatan.

Unless they're Nahuatl because then people can go :smug:'What about the Aztec empire?':smug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

Spaniards are Europeans too.

They're Mestizo.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually because we dislike cultural imperialists like you denying the way your cultural dominance strips other cultures of their history.

A European calling someone else a cultural imperialist is ironic.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
In case you are not aware, tomorrow the first ~200-250 illegal migrants will be shipped from Greece to Turkey. Given that these illegals have proclaimed that they will rather drown than being shipped back to Turkey, we can expect some pretty nasty pictures. Let's just hope the Greeks don't muck this up.

computer parts posted:

They're Mestizo.

So part European.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's cute to see people talk about Haiti and Brazil when France and the UK still controls several islands in the West Indies populated by the descendants of African slaves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

A European calling someone else a cultural imperialist is ironic.
The ironic part is you treating all of Europe as a homogeneous entity worthy only of contempt, ignoring that many peoples in Europe have more often been the victim of imperialism than the benefactors, especially as you move east. I guess that serves the purpose of justifying American cultural imperialism pretty well though, so no need to question it on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
It sure is a mystery why a global superpower that made a load of movies about its history of slavery and sold them worldwide might be more well known for slavery than some developing nations and tiny islands most people have probably never heard of.