Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Sickening posted:

It is without a doubt a limited bomb. The ability activations might be a little too much mana to make it busted in standard, but I haven't really playtested with it.

It gets even more amazing when flipped and equipped/enchanted for a big meaty hexproof/indestructible attacker putting them on a timer they can not interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fallorn posted:

It gets even more amazing when flipped and equipped/enchanted for a big meaty hexproof/indestructible attacker putting them on a timer they can not interact with.

Worth using the flipquipment?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Balon posted:

The difficulty with Neglected Heirloom is getting it transformed; once you do it's very, very strong. Having a creature where you actually fully control the transform trigger (as opposed to say, werewolves or Aberrant Researcher) makes that much easier. You have to enable it, but it's a card that's worth adjusting your deck a bit to be able to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Elusive Tormentor is a HOUSE. It might even be constructed level good. Almost impossible to interact with. There are also just some busted Madness draws that basically end the game on T3 and are kind of a Origins-level limited experience.

It's indestructible isn't it?

It's probably the best control finisher since Elspeth/Aetherling.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yawgmoth posted:

Always Watching is an absolute rear end in a top hat to deal with in limited. So many times I wanted to do something but then oh poo poo, +1 toughness nevermind I can't kill it or block productively drat. And vigilance just means they can swing with their fat-butt guys every turn, why not?

Eventually I got around it because BW has a pile of removal that cares only slightly at best about toughness but it stretched out games I saw it by a half dozen turns easily.

Haha yeah. The kids playing next to us finished their match at the same time as mine did round 2, and the loser had this mess of a BUR deck with like 7 creatures in it because his promo was Ever After, so I helped him rebuild his deck and saw he had an Always Watching and a bunch of decent WG stuff. Right as the last round start he walked over and mentioned he had annihilated his last two opponents off of that card.

Good on you random 12 year old.

Man, I want to draft this set. So far it seems the removal is rather bad, the uncommons are really, really powerful and the equipment is pretty decent. So a complete departure from Oath.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Balon posted:

I saw that win multiple games for GR/GW players because once flipped it's +3/+3 and first strike which murders just about everything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Languish?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd be very surprised if Elusive Tormentor want a constructed worthy card. One of those on board and a Negate in your hand seems like a good way to win a game

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My favorite play was equipping my flipped Avacyn with a Shard of Broken Glass, Rabid Biting my 7-life opponent's hugely suited up Sigard (she was a 10/11 at this point) to turn on Delirium, then swinging with Avacyn and a Reaper of Flight Moonsilver. He blocks Avacyn and the Reaper eats two spirits for lethal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the presence of Languish and To the Slaughter in the format seem like marks against it. Pretty hard for any non-black deck to kill it though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kalli posted:

Man, I want to draft this set. So far it seems the removal is rather bad, the uncommons are really, really powerful and the equipment is pretty decent. So a complete departure from Oath.

I think the removal is actually pretty reasonable. It's not Oath-tier "Have two 4-mana kill anything spells at common", but I certainly wouldn't call the removal bad. Fiery Temper, Lightning Axe, Angelic Purge, Bound by Moonsilver, Dead Weight, Murderous Compulsion, Sleep Paralysis, Rabid Bite... there's plenty of ways to get things dead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rabid Bite has to be one of the strongest green removal spells for limited ever.

e: the best one is, of course, Dismember

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 3, 2016

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Fallorn posted:

I saw that win multiple games for GR/GW players because once flipped it's +3/+3 and first strike which murders just about everything.

I used it in my RG werewolf deck with good success (went 3-1).

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Clip wings took out the Abby land turned creature because they had no other flyers. It also took out angels like crazy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Clip Wings has some pretty serious issues with the 1/1 spirit token theme in the set though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Clip Wings has some pretty serious issues with the 1/1 spirit token theme in the set though.

Clip wings is great in sealed, probably going to be nigh unplayable in draft.

It murdered my Goldknight Castigator like 3 times last night.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Elusive Tormentor is a HOUSE. It might even be constructed level good. Almost impossible to interact with. There are also just some busted Madness draws that basically end the game on T3 and are kind of a Origins-level limited experience.

Geralf's Masterpiece also very fun (sadly mythic) When my opponent killed it on his turn with a sorcery and I promptly put it right back into play 3U discard 3 he picked it up and read it and was amazed it went on the battlefield. Then I untapped and killed him.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Went to the 2HG prerelease, after missing the solo one yesterday. Rolled in a sweet UR Madness deck, with Flameblade Angel, three Fiery Tempers, couple of Tormented Voices, two of the 5-mana Flash 3/3 fliers, and two new-Delvers...

My best moment was casting Just The Wind, on a board with a one-counter Thing in the Ice, bouncing everything on our boards, and even after an opponent tried to get some piddly demons to block, following it up with a Rise from the Tides for 6 or 7 Zombies.

Only game we won. 1-2-1, woo!

Other guy had a nice-looking WB deck, but couldn't stick it (literally never saw his Always Watching, or Descend upon the Sinful, or his Odric for example), we ended up mana screwed as hell in one game (he drew 1 Swamp, I drew 2 Islands). Still had a good time, I dug it, even though I suck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just noticed the Briarbridge Patrol/Tamiyo's Journal combo and suddenly I need to brew this deck.

Sincerely hoping for a new Emrakul in EDM

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Kalli posted:

I drafted last night, it was great, I made a R/B Madness deck and went 3-0. First 2 picks were Gisa's Bidding and Sinister Concoction. It's annoying that all of the repeatable discard outlets are uncommon but it makes sense because it's really loving filthy to discard a card to Mad Prophet, cast it, and draw a card. Some of the fun things I got to do to people last night (not all in the same game):

-Turn 2 Ravenous Bloodseeker, Turn 3 Incorrigible Youths, swing for 7.
-Turn 4 Put a Skin Invasion on Insolent Neonate, sack it to cast Incorrigible Youths, get a 3/4 and a 4/3 haste.
-Put Skin Invasion on opponent's 2/2, it attacks, I sacrifice Sinister Concoction to kill a different creature, discard + cast Incorrigible Youths, block the 2/2.

Basically what I'm saying is you should draft incorrigible Youths + discard outlets. I am very firmly convinced of the value of Insolent Neonate, it's a 1-drop that's good early and decent late. Mad Prophet is better than Reckless Scholar IMO because it's in red so there is much more Madness synergy (and it doesn't die to Dual Shot/Tooth Collector), although I haven't gotten to play with Reckless Scholar yet.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I had a pretty terrible prerelease. The best card in my pool was an Elusive Tormentor which I didn't draw in four games and an Anguished Unmaking which I don't think is that good (at least in limited). Two of my rares were dual lands and the rest were nondescript.

I got no mythics. The first guy I played had a promo and a pack Jace, and Avacyn. He played Jace three times in two games, that card is suitably annoying.

The card that did the most work for me by far was Haunted Cloak. The 7/7 slug is pretty cool too. Murderous Compulsion is good and I think in constructed delirium will be easy to hit.

That is all.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Went Mardu colors. Got 2 Nahari's, the rare red Werewolf Lord, and some rando trash. Went 3/1. Lost to a dude with an always watching, avacyn, sorin, through the floordboard, elusive tormentor, black white deck, who also seemed to somehow have the exact same drops both games. (turn 1 that black removal enchantment, turn 2 the flying vampier that gives haste, turn 3 always watching, turn 4 elusive tormenter, game 61was avacyn, game was throug the floorboard turn 5, turn 6 Sorin) Either super lucky or mega cheating. Though most people apparently thought i was cheating Nahari every game until word got out i had 2 in my deck.

My deck was pretty sick though, i was able to get both the black transform witch, and the nightmare horse on delirium consistently (having planeswalkers in your deck definitely helps make sure delirium turns on), and madness value off Nahari was insane. Tormenting voice basically reads draw 2 cards in this format.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

2-0-1 rounds, intentional split third with Jund goodstuff. This pool was beautiful. :allears:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grats on the most expensive card in the set.

I can stress enough how good all the blue draw is that makes you discard into your madness. Blue is exceedingly better than last black. I really like the 2/1 for two skulkers. The 1/3 spirit with the extra investigation adds up. It just has a lot more to offer than over costed spells this time.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 3, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: doubla

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

Grats on the most expensive card in the set.

And please sell/trade it asap. Tom ross thinks its an overrated card.

Tom Ross posted:

Alrinn Kord has been getting worse and worse the more I've played. She's very similar to Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, another card that I feel is worse in the new Standard than old. The problem with Arlinn Kord is she can't protect herself against the ways she is most likely going to be attacked, which are four-powered flyers. New Standard will be full of them with Goldnight Castigator, Mindwrack Demon,Thunderbreak Regent, and Archangel Avacyn. Even Thopter tokens apply pressure on her.

Not that he never wrong, but I feel like Tom Ross is probably one of the best aggressive deck players in the world and I would always give him the benefit of the doubt. Might as well move it while its 60-80 bucks. Could pay for most of the actual good cards you want.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 3, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

I can stress enough how good all the blue draw is that makes you discard into your madness. Blue is exceedingly better than last black. I really like the 2/1 for two skulkers. The 1/3 spirit with the extra investigation adds up. It just has a lot more to offer than over costed spells this time.

:agreed:

Reckless Scholar and Catalog were solid for me at the prerelease, and Tormented Voices really rounds up the package.

If you've got a few Madness cards, they become "T: Draw a card" and "2U: Draw two cards", not to mention how well they work with Avacyn's Judgment and Welcome To The Fold.

If only my LGS didn't do rare redrafting, I'd be looking forward to getting to know the format. Online drafts + Cockatrice would be a good alternative if they weren't so cumbersome.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I got a double-mythic pack with Avacyn and Wolf of Devil's Breach, but I used most of my deckbuilding time waffling over RW, RWb, BWr, RWu, WUr before eventually going straight RW. Once I realised the off-colour activation tribal guys are actually fine without that colour (2W 2/2 flyer, 2R 3/2 trample) that helped get the last couple slots; I also put the discard tapper in because I was really low on discard outlets and I wanted some way to madness Avacyn's Judgement. I had to take out the 6/6 angel though because with no enchantments, 1 equipment and no discard I had basically no chance of ever getting delirium.

I paid my dues by winning the first two matches without ever drawing either mythic, Avacyn was great when she turned up though. I had one game where I mulled to 6 with 3 mountains and some red spells in hand and saw Avacyn on top; I kept because I had things to play and I would surely get the plains eventually, and sure enough she won me that game. The wolf on the other hand I only cast once, and didn't draw a non-land for the rest of that game.

I ended up 4-2; I lost to the eventual winner, getting mana screwed in all 3 games: I stole the win in game 1 while stuck on 4 lands, thanks to the double strike trick, then got flooded in game 2 and didn't draw any plains in game 3. In my other loss my opponent got out 2 Tireless Trackers at once, which was pretty much the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

Apart from Avacyn, Nearheath Chaplain was great; most of my damage probably came from spirit tokens. True-Faith Censer was also pretty good; the vigilance does a lot of work and even +1/+1 can upgrade a creature significantly

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's pretty solidly in the "always starts in the sideboard, easy to bring in once you see what's up" bin. I don't think that changes much between draft and sealed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Idk if it's better than Chandra as a finisher. But it's good I f you aren't playing red.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
My pool today was insane. Relentless dead, 2x from under the floor boards, welcome to the fold, the black flip card that destroys a creature, sinister concoction, and much more.

Went 0-2 and dropped. I literally saw four cards in for four games that weren't lands.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

My pool today was insane. Relentless dead, 2x from under the floor boards, welcome to the fold, the black flip card that destroys a creature, sinister concoction, and much more.

Went 0-2 and dropped. I literally saw four cards in for four games that weren't lands.

Mulligan folks, mulligan.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I know it's prerelease time, but people are saying tomorrow the bans are Eye of Ugin and Mox Opal. Seems to be true since Eldrazi Temple has been bought out except for foils. E: I'm dumb, had a foils only filter on TCGplayer :v:

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

I know it's prerelease time, but people are saying tomorrow the bans are Eye of Ugin and Mox Opal. Seems to be true since Eldrazi Temple has been bought out except for foils.

If mox opal is banned then sorry for all those that missed the jund/junk train.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I know it's prerelease time, but people are saying tomorrow the bans are Eye of Ugin and Mox Opal. Seems to be true since Eldrazi Temple has been bought out except for foils.

is mox opal really gonna hurt affinity that much tho?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mandatory lesbian posted:

is mox opal really gonna hurt affinity that much tho?

yes, it would be really really bad. it might kill the deck, at the very least it would make it tier 2. i would be very unhappy if they banned mox opal :(

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Maybe, maybe not. I think the idea for both cards is that their respective decks will be less explosive without them.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Went 3-2 yesterday on the back of kind of a weird sealed pool. Red had 3 creatures and Devil'S Playground, blue had 5 creatures(two of which the 1/3 for 1U), black was normal, 8 green creatures, white was fairly normal in count, but the highest casting cost was 3. I ended up going BR kill everything and something will probably finish the job. Had Geistblast, Fiery Temper, To the Slaughter, Rancid Rats, Reduce to Ashes, 2x Inner Struggle, and Dead Weight.

Best games were usually open up with Relentless Dead(hooray foil that paid for my day) and just start punching in 2 damage at a time and keep their blockers down. Also had Elusive Tormenter but he only showed up 3 games. Once in a game I'd basically won, once died immediately, and once I grievously misplayed him in multiple ways in the same game costing me several turns if not the entire game.

I think Kessig Forgemaster was my overperformer. The one damage did more than I expected, especially if the opponent had a source of spirits. If you got it flipped it could really fight above the weight of a 2CMC card.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 3, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yes, it would be really really bad. it might kill the deck, at the very least it would make it tier 2. i would be very unhappy if they banned mox opal :(

asking if having 4 sources of free mana that's basically always turned on was good was not the most thought-out question i've ever had haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Maybe, maybe not. I think the idea for both cards is that their respective decks will be less explosive without them.

Honestly a Mox Opal ban when the format hasn't had any time to shake out would be the most tiring thing.

Undue bans suck and they give the impression of the format being slowly shoved into a woodchipper.

Has anyone been able to test with the RW walker anywhere? Seems like there's probably a half decent UWR control deck with the two, but I'm not sure.

• Locked thread