Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gaz-L posted:

I had an rear end in a top hat deliberately lay-n-pray on me in Ultimate Team because he realised my character has much better standup (got some good body kicks and a 5 star Renan Barao spinning roundhouse). I wouldn't be mad if they'd gone for g&p or subs, but they just took me down and transitioned around forever. Thankfully knocked them out with 20 seconds left in the 5th.

I've ended up having to do lay-n-pray in the past with my BJJ guy, because people on the bottom transition out too fast before I can actually land a blow. I know I'll get killed on the feet, so I generally just get to side control and try to hold them down until their stamina is low enough for me to try a sub. I really need to practice my transition blocking, I'm miserable at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Man, I know training mini games are usually low effort in sports games, but in UFC 2 they're garbage. Particularly the standing defense one. You should not have to chase the guy around the octagon hoping that he decides to try and hit you within the time limit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I've ended up having to do lay-n-pray in the past with my BJJ guy, because people on the bottom transition out too fast before I can actually land a blow. I know I'll get killed on the feet, so I generally just get to side control and try to hold them down until their stamina is low enough for me to try a sub. I really need to practice my transition blocking, I'm miserable at it.

Side control is a little deceptive because one of the transition animations from the bottom looks like it's going away from you, but it's actually the 'towards' one.

You might be better off setting up subs from where they're likely to transition to. I often can't get the first one off, but if I see them going to sprawl, it's easy to go for the anaconda or guillotine. My lightweight dude also has a 4 star D'arce choke from side control when on the bottom which catches a lot of people off guard.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gaz-L posted:

Side control is a little deceptive because one of the transition animations from the bottom looks like it's going away from you, but it's actually the 'towards' one.

You might be better off setting up subs from where they're likely to transition to. I often can't get the first one off, but if I see them going to sprawl, it's easy to go for the anaconda or guillotine. My lightweight dude also has a 4 star D'arce choke from side control when on the bottom which catches a lot of people off guard.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try and keep drilling and staying in side control. I have a great kimura -> arm bar transition that can tap guys out pretty regularly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I wasn't expecting changes from TEW13 to 16 to be anything other than incremental but it seems like it's going to play very differently and (potentially) much better. Hyped for the demo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I haven't played a TEW game at launch before, are they normally pretty full featured and ok? Or have they launched broken?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they launch in a perfectly good state but it will probably be a few weeks if not months before real world mods are updated/ported to the new version

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I've looked at the TEW games before and been turned off by the general spreadsheet feel, but for some reason I can't explain, I really wanna play 16.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ShootaBoy posted:

I've looked at the TEW games before and been turned off by the general spreadsheet feel, but for some reason I can't explain, I really wanna play 16.

loving people with spreadsheets is oddly enticing. Its the real reason people become accountants.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coconono posted:

loving people with spreadsheets is oddly enticing. Its the real reason people become accountants.

Can confirm

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

the thing about sims is that they seem dull as dishwater just looking at them, but their appeal reveals itself as the game gets moving and gains momentum, so you can see all the moving parts and how you can manipulate them. The differences between a great sim and a merely functional one are a) it's proximity in some sense to how things really work and b) not being so easy to master that the game can't surprise or challenge you and not so rigid that it's functionally impossible to get yourself out a jam if your stats aren't just so.

For the most part TEW13's worlds were a little too static, the booking was a little too easy to master and a little too punishing in the lower margins of fed size. The changes that 16 feature will probably bring their own nagging flaws but Ryland looks to have a sure handle on what needed to be addressed from the last iteration

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You have to make your own fun with a game with TEW, it's pretty much an adult version of mashing your toy Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior together and imagining the 5* classic they're putting on

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

St Evan Echoes posted:

You have to make your own fun with a game with TEW, it's pretty much an adult version of mashing your toy Undertaker and Ultimate Warrior together and imagining the 5* classic they're putting on

You can do that with WWE 2k16.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

yeah the draw of TEW is actually that it incorporates all the stuff that happens out of the ring and admits no pretense of anything being a shoot.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Plus TEW allows you to have every bit of info on things going on to keep a history, which is really nice to look back on and keeps me playing. The fact I can look at past cards, workers, the sheer random factors of some aspects. I want to be the creator and the observer and this TEW16 looks to give me exactly that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The only thing i can't get into the bare bones match info compared to EWR's randomly generate match layouts/reports.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

KungFu Grip posted:

The only thing i can't get into the bare bones match info compared to EWR's randomly generate match layouts/reports.

Ryland needs to go to some e-feds and recruit some nerds to do some match write ups for him.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

I haven't played a TEW game at launch before, are they normally pretty full featured and ok? Or have they launched broken?

I bought WMMA4 on launch, and I'd say the game at launch was fully featured, but there were definitely some kinks to be worked out. Expect a lot of patches coming out from people pointing out little hiccups. For instance, in WMMA4, I ran a "reality show" - basically an off-screen tournament, except for the finals, which you book at one of your shows. When I went to book the finals, one fighter refused to fight the other. I made a post on their tech support forum, and the issue was fixed within a day.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

KungFu Grip posted:

I don't even bother to read them. They interfere with my headcannon.
That having been said, I'm glad that one of the improvements in 2016 is to adjust the writeup to fit the size of the fed.
Because I tried starting with a local fed once, and being told every match you do sucks poo poo gets a little soul crushing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

JoeRules posted:

I bought WMMA4 on launch, and I'd say the game at launch was fully featured, but there were definitely some kinks to be worked out. Expect a lot of patches coming out from people pointing out little hiccups. For instance, in WMMA4, I ran a "reality show" - basically an off-screen tournament, except for the finals, which you book at one of your shows. When I went to book the finals, one fighter refused to fight the other. I made a post on their tech support forum, and the issue was fixed within a day.

Oh god, that was so loving annoying. Relationships would generate pretty easily on reality shows and the final two would almost always because friends with each other before it was fixed up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am helpless in grappling defense in UFC 2 oh god. Fun game though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm hopeless against guys who know how to defend transitions. How do you do that exactly when someone is transitioning on you? Hold RT?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's definitely R2/RT + Direction , but I'm not sure if you have to do it in the same direction or any.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's definitely R2/RT + Direction , but I'm not sure if you have to do it in the same direction or any.

You flick the stick in the same direction that they're going. Usually you can tell which way to go by the direction their character is moving - it takes a little while to figure out what movements correspond to what direction (lemme save you some time, when they try to butterfly guard their way out of your mount you have to flick the stick down). If you've done takedown defenses, think of a takedown as a transition. It works the same way.

Just remember that you can't hold the stick in a direction to pre-emptively defend. The controller will vibrate if you do, to warn you that you're wasting stamina.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm hopeless against guys who know how to defend transitions. How do you do that exactly when someone is transitioning on you? Hold RT?

You hold R2 and flick (or hold, maybe, but since you can't do it too early and you've got a limited time frame to work with, I don't see a reason to not just flick) the right stick in the same direction of their ongoing transition. This means you'll also have to flick the right stick up and down from time to time if you want to be effective on the ground. That might sound unnecessary, but one of the easiest ways to beat guys in the game is to drain their energy from side control and/or the sprawl position and submit them. And if you get them in the turtle position with their energy drained, and they're desperately trying to transition out instead of waiting for their stamina to refill, it's practically a guaranteed win.

The first positions to work on should probably be half guard and side control. If they've got you in half guard, hold R2 and be ready to flick the right stick in the direction of where your opponent would have to move to mount you, since that's a potentially more dangerous position. If they choose to go for side control when they could've taken mount, there's a chance that they prefer to work from there, and then you know to transition to the other side the next time. From side control, you block their mount attempt by holding R2 and flicking the right stick toward yourself. Flicking it away from your body will block north/south attempts, scarf hold + the crucifix, I believe, though I haven't run into a lot of people who were all that effective from those positions.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Le Saboteur posted:

Hold RT and flick RS in the direction they're using for the transition once they've started using it. Sometimes this can be hard to see, especially if they have access to transitions you don't usually see while other times it's fairly obvious.

Half Guard is one of the more obvious ones, especially when you're on top and bottom. When you're on top, they'll usually either try to switch to full guard by pushing on your outside knee (flick RS in that direction, so if your outside knee is on their right then flick right) or try and go around the other side to get your back (flick RS in that direction).

When you're on bottom the half guard to top mount transition is also pretty easy to catch once you know what to look for and I'll frequently get reversals on it rather than just stopping the transition.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

My old supercard team imploded so I just put in a request for LLJK as Fuma

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Fumaofthelake posted:

My old supercard team imploded so I just put in a request for LLJK as Fuma

Cool beans, accepted.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Le Saboteur posted:

I had problems too and this one guy, Martial Mind, most definitely has the best guide for defending (ground) transitions. Clinch transitions happen so fast I just roll with them but for the ground, use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2zCXXxyXc

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How is Giant Gram 2000: AJPW 3? I saw Japanese tournament footage of it, and it looks cool. I'm thinking about importing it for my Dreamcast

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My last wrestling game was WWE2k14 and I'm sort of itching for an update. I loaded it up last night and I enjoy playing through my crazy roster and having Minoru Suzuki vs Dean Ambrose vs Great Muta in an extreme rules match at Mania, but the matches always end up pretty samey. My main love is creating wrestlers and building my own knock-offs of Japanese and European wrestlers, but I wish the gameplay was a hair more interesting, or varied.

Now that the emotional high of the new release is long past, is 2k16 worth getting? What's the consensus on the gameplay? I know 2k15 everyone seemed to regret getting because it was so stripped down; 2k16 worth the price tag? (I'm talkin' for PC by the way)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh so one of my 5* ultimate team cards in UFC 2 just disappeared. Sure am glad I didn't spend any money on this mode

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Anal Surgery posted:

My last wrestling game was WWE2k14 and I'm sort of itching for an update. I loaded it up last night and I enjoy playing through my crazy roster and having Minoru Suzuki vs Dean Ambrose vs Great Muta in an extreme rules match at Mania, but the matches always end up pretty samey. My main love is creating wrestlers and building my own knock-offs of Japanese and European wrestlers, but I wish the gameplay was a hair more interesting, or varied.

Now that the emotional high of the new release is long past, is 2k16 worth getting? What's the consensus on the gameplay? I know 2k15 everyone seemed to regret getting because it was so stripped down; 2k16 worth the price tag? (I'm talkin' for PC by the way)

2K16 is a pretty big improvement over 15 and probably nets out to be as good as 14. The online CAW population on PS4 at least isn't bad and the CAW isn't deep enough to make another VGCW but it's getting there. Gameplay feels a lot better (submissions suck though, gotta really clown on someone to get a submission) and there's obviously a graphic bump (though it still looks relatively bad compared to most current gen stuff). Career mode is kind of a bummer and really grindy but one of those modes you can play over a year or so on and off I guess. It's a good series to buy at the even number years I guess.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The submission thing is odd, because the cpu will never ever submit another cpu, but they do better on me. I on the other hand figured out how the cpu moves the bar in the submission mini game so now I can get a tap out when they are on the yellow bar half the time with no attention paid whatsoever to their limb strength, and 100% of the time on a red bar.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Been slowly playing as old Tyson in ranked too some good success but I have found 3 nemesis.

Jones played by anyone halfway decent destroys me. His body jumping knee looks like a head knees it's terrible too figure out which it is. His foot long reach over just makes me get wrecked.

Velasquez I can normally take if the fight stays on our feet but if it goes to the ground every Velasquez player I've faced has completely shut me down. Like every transition blocked shut down.

Werdum is my last guy, if it stands up I will almost always win but if it goes to the ground I get bombarded by submissions until I finally can't keep up and he gets the tap.

Doing so much better focusing on my strengths like this instead of the random weight class. Almost up to division 4 now.

Shadokin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 8, 2016

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Division 4 was the most fun I had in the game. Some really good, close matches there. Division 5's been kinda frustrating, with spinning kicks especially having become the bane of my existence. There seems to be very little fighter variety there, so now I stick to the same 5 divisions, HW, WW, LW and the two women's divisions (though I don't remember the last time I got a strawweight match-up) and tend to pick the same fighter (Barnett, Condit, Cerrone, Zingano, I dunno) for almost every fight, except for when I lose and I'm a ways away from a title fight anyway so I can just fool around. Still think it's fun, though!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoking Crow posted:

How is Giant Gram 2000: AJPW 3? I saw Japanese tournament footage of it, and it looks cool. I'm thinking about importing it for my Dreamcast

Its very reminiscient of the WWF Attitude game because this was back in the era when Wrestling games couldn't decide if they were gimmicky 3D fighting games or their own thing. A lot of esoteric commands.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skjorte posted:

Division 4 was the most fun I had in the game. Some really good, close matches there. Division 5's been kinda frustrating, with spinning kicks especially having become the bane of my existence. There seems to be very little fighter variety there, so now I stick to the same 5 divisions, HW, WW, LW and the two women's divisions (though I don't remember the last time I got a strawweight match-up) and tend to pick the same fighter (Barnett, Condit, Cerrone, Zingano, I dunno) for almost every fight, except for when I lose and I'm a ways away from a title fight anyway so I can just fool around. Still think it's fun, though!

Every strawweight player will play Joanna. I can count on one hand the number of fights in that division where my opponent picked anyone else.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Every strawweight player will play Joanna. I can count on one hand the number of fights in that division where my opponent picked anyone else.

I couldn't remember who my go-to fighter was (only the crushing disappointment of not being able to win a single fight as Hamderlei), but yeah, I think I've only played against Joanna and Thug Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, I bought 2k16 from Steam, installed it, and when I go to play it, nothing happens. It says it's running in the background but nothing happens, it just stays on my desktop and I can't alt-tab to anything. Any ideas?

edit:

Updated all drivers, verified all game files, ran as administrator... so far nothing i do can get this game working. Now I'm reinstalling (which takes HOURS)

Maybe just time for a refund.

edit 2: tried another reinstall, didn't work again, no support from Yukes/2k, so i just took my refund. life is too short to fiddlefuck around with lovely video games. Dark Souls 3 is out in like two days, WWE can eat my rear end. Don't buy this game, might not run on your upper end PC either!

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 10, 2016