Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Batgirl DLC feels like a slice of life, 'what things are like for the Arkham-verse Bat characters when the entire city isn't in total collapse' story. It was...well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

It is a wig, actually; Kane has short-ish hair:

How the mask stays on depends on the artist, some draw it like Robin's/Nightwing's only with the long ears, and some as a (half?) helmet:

Huh, that's a surprisingly sensible answer, considering we're talking comics. Having a mask with a wig is actually kind of a cool idea. Not very practical, but hey, not any more so than a hero costume with built in heels. Which from what I can see, this one doesn't actually have, awesome. But the wig is no sillier than all those heroines who do sport the high heeled crimefighter look. I can dig it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

GirlCalledBob posted:

Huh, that's a surprisingly sensible answer, considering we're talking comics. Having a mask with a wig is actually kind of a cool idea. Not very practical, but hey, not any more so than a hero costume with built in heels. Which from what I can see, this one doesn't actually have, awesome. But the wig is no sillier than all those heroines who do sport the high heeled crimefighter look. I can dig it.

Consider that Batgirl back in '66 did the exact same thing, and for much the same reasons.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

berryjon posted:

Consider that Batgirl back in '66 did the exact same thing, and for much the same reasons.

Yeah. Way back when, Batgirl's costume was literally a Halloween costume with a wig.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

fool_of_sound posted:

and the piles of collectibles get a lot smaller.

Ah, that brings up a good point. What would be the collectibles for Arkham Beyond? Terry doesn't really have a Riddler analogue. Unless Eddie designed some sort of failsafe decades ago that kicks off when he's an old man. Actually, that might work. Have him be completely senile with only occasional glimpses of that once-proud ego show up to offer a cryptic hint as to how to stop whatever happened. Maybe you can have some of his cutting edge (at the time) riddlebots show up and grab people to put in death traps that haven't been opened in forever. The old machinery and wiring is giving out, making the bots and the traps act unpredictably. Terry's not the detective Bruce is, so it would play to the usual methods he uses to just break things until someone's safe.

Thinking more about it now, Stalker could be a most wanted along the lines of Deadshot or Zsasz. He's out in the city and hunting people and the Batman has to track him down.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Here's an idea: No collectibles, because they are stupid.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Here's an idea: No collectibles, because they are stupid.

:wrong:

Also a AAA game with even the tiniest amount of open world will never lack collectibles from now on. It's too easy to pad the game with them, some people really like them, and as long as you don't lock stuff behind way too many, there's no reason to complain about them.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

But how will people get all those trophies and achievements!? D:

Actually, that might be a good way to subvert it. No, Terry's not up to the task of figuring out where all this poo poo is. But he can put the little pieces together and go stop the bad guy without finding poo poo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

Ah, that brings up a good point. What would be the collectibles for Arkham Beyond? Terry doesn't really have a Riddler analogue. Unless Eddie designed some sort of failsafe decades ago that kicks off when he's an old man. Actually, that might work. Have him be completely senile with only occasional glimpses of that once-proud ego show up to offer a cryptic hint as to how to stop whatever happened. Maybe you can have some of his cutting edge (at the time) riddlebots show up and grab people to put in death traps that haven't been opened in forever. The old machinery and wiring is giving out, making the bots and the traps act unpredictably. Terry's not the detective Bruce is, so it would play to the usual methods he uses to just break things until someone's safe.

Thinking more about it now, Stalker could be a most wanted along the lines of Deadshot or Zsasz. He's out in the city and hunting people and the Batman has to track him down.

Instead of the Riddler trying to be the smartest, you can have Robert Vance attempting to take over parts of the city. No trophies to collect, more like the datapacks from Origins where you have to shut down nodes that Vance is using to spread his AI consciousness. It'd end with a fight against the batsuit, so there's actually a neat boss battle to be had from it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

IMJack posted:

And less plot creep and villain scheme escalation. If every game is Batman's Worst Night, then the writers have to go further and further to make it even worse and more complicated than the last game was.

Arkham Knight would have worked better episodic. Arkham City already did open world and the story they seem to want to tell in Arkham Knight is the end of the Bat-Family thanks to Batman's increasing instability and lack of trust thanks to Mad Clown Disease. Having all that happen in one night feels forced. Instead of seeing Batman's normal interactions with the Bat-Family and then see them fall apart over the months after Joker's death we just get Batman being an rear end in a top hat and becoming (slightly) more of one as the night drags on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not going to lie, I would love an Arkham Beyond game, but I'd also love an Arkham game that dealt with the Court of Owls.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

Instead of the Riddler trying to be the smartest, you can have Robert Vance attempting to take over parts of the city. No trophies to collect, more like the datapacks from Origins where you have to shut down nodes that Vance is using to spread his AI consciousness. It'd end with a fight against the batsuit, so there's actually a neat boss battle to be had from it.

I forgot about Vance. A fight against the hacked batsuit would be interesting since it would take away most of the gadgets Terry uses. But it would give us a chance to use classic batman tools, probably the REC to disrupt the suit long enough to, say, shut down a terminal that Vance is using for his plan. Maybe Bruce can cobble together a suit for Terry to wear instead of just a mask.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Vicissitude posted:

I forgot about Vance. A fight against the hacked batsuit would be interesting since it would take away most of the gadgets Terry uses. But it would give us a chance to use classic batman tools, probably the REC to disrupt the suit long enough to, say, shut down a terminal that Vance is using for his plan. Maybe Bruce can cobble together a suit for Terry to wear instead of just a mask.

Or,if it's set in the Arkhamverse timeline,Terry could use a modified version of the AK suit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nah, half the fun of that story arc was Terry showing off that he's more than just the new gadgets, he's also a drat good Batman without the suit. I think he takes it on with just a utility belt, if I remember correctly? So besides being an awesome fight against an opponent similar to, but distinct from, the way you've been fighting all game, it'd also be a dead simple extra character for challenge maps. An easy to make Nightwing or Robin analogue.

I think of everything they could do with a Batman Beyond style Arkham game, the thing I'd look forward to the most is more freeform exploration. Right now, everything still somewhat tied to the Batclaw being able to grip structures, which can be a bit buggy. Terry would have the rocket thrusters on the feet, which can be constrained to just a boost after divebomb-pullup or similar situations. Basically like the grapnel boost, implemented slightly differently, letting you still glide as the main thrust of your movement, but you could be able to speed it up or even just rocket jump up in the open-world like Bruce does from the Batmobile.

I could ideas-man the poo poo outta this game all day :allears:

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
All these ideas on an Arkham Beyond game are super great and would be super rad to play. And then I get sad when I realize if it ever does happen it won't be quite as rad. :saddowns:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Vicissitude posted:

Return to the Metroidvania feeling of Arkham Asylum. Terry loses control of his normal suit, so he tracks down the old caches Bruce hid all over Gotham to cobble together a set of working gear.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you're doing an Arkham Beyond game instead of the Riddler leaving challenges for Batman it's Bruce leaving challenges for Terry. Sort of prove you have what it takes deal. That even fits the whole optional thing, you don't have to prove you're just as good as Bruce, but it would be nice to do so. Also means you don't have to have any hostages at all.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

To chip in on the Arkham Beyond ideas, you could have a fight with Inque that is essentially a reverse predator section where you spend a set amount of time trying to avoid her as she hunts you down.

Another idea: At one point the volume in the game just mutes, and in the options menu the option to raise it is *gone*, and this leads into a predator fight with Shriek where you have to be extra stealthy because you're the only one who's making noise.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

IMJack posted:

Return to the Metroidvania feeling of Arkham Asylum. Terry loses control of his normal suit, so he tracks down the old caches Bruce hid all over Gotham to cobble together a set of working gear.

I'm guessing that stuff would be even more out of date than Terry's suit. Remember, he says that it's about 10 years old but top of the line for its day. It'd be a nice and funny scene for Terry to go wading through the sewer to find 20 year old gear only to find that they're hilariously low tech. Or even gone. Bruce flat up gave up on being Batman. I doubt he recovered much of it.

death .cab for qt posted:

Nah, half the fun of that story arc was Terry showing off that he's more than just the new gadgets, he's also a drat good Batman without the suit. I think he takes it on with just a utility belt, if I remember correctly?

He did, yeah. Utility belt and Nightwing's tiny little mask. Still, you could throw a nice nod to the movie, for instance. Maybe Vance hired some Jokerz to take a warehouse and loot the place. "Hey, Joker said he missed the cape. Shouldn't disappoint them."

SardonicTyrant posted:

To chip in on the Arkham Beyond ideas, you could have a fight with Inque that is essentially a reverse predator section where you spend a set amount of time trying to avoid her as she hunts you down.

Another idea: At one point the volume in the game just mutes, and in the options menu the option to raise it is *gone*, and this leads into a predator fight with Shriek where you have to be extra stealthy because you're the only one who's making noise.

Both of these ideas are awesome. Shriek could be a lot like the final Bane enounter in Origins. That big bull rush replaced with a wide sonic blast, he could hear you tromping through vents and grates and ruin them with his suit. Inque wouldn't show up on detective vision so you'd have to try other methods, maybe like the Laughing Octopus fight in MGS4.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

That would be fantastic.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Back to the main story!

Going Off-Script/Polsy

New bio: Two-Face

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dscruffy1 posted:

Back to the main story!

Do we have to?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Do we have to?

Yes, so that we can appreciate the awesome DLC better.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
About that glowing red gun hologram outside the bank at the very end of the video: is that a way to replay the section? That would be a very neat addition. One of the things I always missed in the Arkham games was that while since City you can just fly around and get in a fistfight whenever you want, there was no way to replay indoor predator sections without redoing the entire game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Felinoid posted:

About that glowing red gun hologram outside the bank at the very end of the video: is that a way to replay the section?

It's an AR challenge! The alarm is constantly going so it's all loud takedowns, it's just seeing how fast you can take enemies down.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Why did that Riddler cop fold so easily?
Cobra tank, more like death star tank. It even has the same weakness for crying out loud.
Hey, I was wondering were the other villains were. 'sup 2-face. The non-standard predator was nice.

Sill, are they seriously trying to pass Barb's "death" as a plot point?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Omobono posted:

Sill, are they seriously trying to pass Barb's "death" as a plot point?

Oh buddy, they're gonna be trying to convince you she actually died til the last few hours of the game.

Incidentally, if you talk to that corrupt cop a couple of times, he's one of the few people in this game who notes that Riddler isn't doing so hot. He describes Edward as kind of pathetic - not eating or sleeping and somebody he just felt sorry for.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 3, 2016

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
What the enemies aren't doing with the Cobra Tanks is mixing them with the other tanks. Can't have the Arkham knight actually use decent tactics.

Speaking of Arkham knight, he and Scarecrow needs to take a quality over quantity approach when talking. The more they say, the less they feel like a threat. Scarecrow trying to take credit for Barbara's death (or "death") doesn't help either, it just shows how little he has going for him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crystalgate posted:

What the enemies aren't doing with the Cobra Tanks is mixing them with the other tanks. Can't have the Arkham knight actually use decent tactics.
As stupid as it sounds, there's a pretty good reason for that: cobras become an utter pain in the rear end as their numbers increase. Fighting them isn't fun now, it'll become painful before the game ends, it wouldn't be fun with other enemies thrown into mix.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Wait a minute! Cobra Tanks are predator sections for the bat-tank.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Major_JF posted:

Wait a minute! Cobra Tanks are predator sections for the bat-tank.
It's really more akin to ship stealth sections in modern AssCreeds. No gadgets, grand total of one tool, slow as poo poo and choice of approach.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
"Are you ready?
"This is the overlord tank cobra done."
"Extra large."

At least that is the vibe I got from the cobra.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Speaking of Arkham knight, he and Scarecrow needs to take a quality over quantity approach when talking. The more they say, the less they feel like a threat. Scarecrow trying to take credit for Barbara's death (or "death") doesn't help either, it just shows how little he has going for him.

I agree that Scarecrow talks waaaaay too much in this game. It works for a guy like Joker in Asylum because that's his personality. He likes getting under people's skin.

Scarecrow talking nonstop about how afraid you should be ruins the feeling of fear that you should be getting. He's basically going "Are you scared yet? No? YOU WILL BE! :moreevil:"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
On the other hand, the characterization of Two-Face is pretty on-target. Obsessed with justice and fairness, but using duality and his coin as the method.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

On the other hand, the characterization of Two-Face is pretty on-target. Obsessed with justice and fairness, but using duality and his coin as the method.
Way, way better than he was in City. "TWO GUNS, BITCH"

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh buddy, they're gonna be trying to convince you she actually died til the last few hours of the game.

Incidentally, if you talk to that corrupt cop a couple of times, he's one of the few people in this game who notes that Riddler isn't doing so hot. He describes Edward as kind of pathetic - not eating or sleeping and somebody he just felt sorry for.

Awww poor weirdo :( I'm admittedly not a walking wiki of Batman trivia, but Riddler seems like the most empathizable character in the media. He had an abusive childhood leading to a mentally unwell adulthood that's really detrimental to enjoyment of life. Maybe he is truly fond of puzzles, but the compulsion part of it can't be fun. [You're running around Gotham sticking sudoko on the sides of building, man.]

I think he should get Shanghai'd to Europe for a permanent vacation, with a psychiatrist to help him out. Stay Safe, Riddler Ghost.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So why does Batman want Ryder to leave the police station? I think at this point it's way too dangerous for him to leave the city and he doesn't have a Batcave of his own to go to. Where else is he supposed to go that won't get broken into, gassed, or firebombed?

Also, Ryder is a total dick. He didn't seem that bad in City, but I wish that there was a prompt to punch him in the face in this game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They missed a huge opportunity for him to be the Creeper.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Speedball posted:

They missed a huge opportunity for him to be the Creeper.

Creeper DLC? If it's anything like the Batgirl one, I'd buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Of games to wish for...

Arkham: Slow week for Batman.

Or the game where you can have less "beat dudes" sections, but more of being World's Greatest Detective sections, so you aren't under much narrative pressure. Yes, there's gang you may beat, there's a crime you need to solve, but there's enough time to pick up prelude for bank robbery, drop on would-be robbers and give them a talk to prevent that (and maybe point to more legal ways of getting the means), or find traces of next Riddler's plan and troll him by preventativly solving his puzzle and leaving solution where he wanted to put said puzzle. If you solved puzzle correctly, based on scraps, Riddler freaks out, but if you are wrong, he gloats and you do live run later that week.

And, of course, instead of entire armory, you bring only come chosen gadgets and can solve courses with limited number of tools beyond basic ones.

Less plot, less money involved, based on assets of Arkham Knight, shows Batman when he isn't facing twenty five crisises at once.

• Locked thread