Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not sure if i've actually particularly liked anything she wrote, but i don't have anything against her

she's super prolific though, there are only a small handful of anime writers i'd actually know by name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

dogsicle posted:

i've seen people saying the characters are stereotypes and having 30 to deal with in 12-13 episodes won't work/a ton of people will die. sometimes people poo poo on Okada's writing, and for some reason the production company ran a crowdfunding campaign like a month before air date. the last thing i could think of is maybe they're thinking it'll be like Another.

its obvs this is going to have a high bodycount because that's typically what you introduce a large number of very inflated, stereotypical characters for

my mind immediately goes to total drama island or something where there were like fifty people and they set up who would be the 'main' cast while the rest all sheared away

there's the mayoiga thread title, 'the anime adaptation of total drama island'

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Strange Quark posted:

I think Black Butler was bad.

oh right she did that

that was a while ago though, before the 2010s it was like, for every toradora and simoun there was piles of bland but now the bad's thinning out and she's been on a streak of successes and not-so-successes-that-are-still-pretty-good (when the gently caress is the wixoss movie coming)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The dialogue is completely over the top and all the social commentary is completely on the nose. This is not a subtle show. The characters are unapologetic fuckups, and their choice to run away means they will simply repeat their mistakes. The milquetoast protagonist is the most hosed up of them all, and will set in motion the events of the plot. This has the makings of a black comedy. The question is, how hosed are the characters: character building messed up, or guts flying hosed.

We will know next Ep. If no one dies, no one will die. If one person dies, a lot of people will die.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It will be all good as long as it doesn't try to be super serious.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a good show and Darth walrus is overthinking things

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The dialogue is completely over the top and all the social commentary is completely on the nose. This is not a subtle show. The characters are unapologetic fuckups, and their choice to run away means they will simply repeat their mistakes. The milquetoast protagonist is the most hosed up of them all, and will set in motion the events of the plot. This has the makings of a black comedy. The question is, how hosed are the characters: character building messed up, or guts flying hosed.

We will know next Ep. If no one dies, no one will die. If one person dies, a lot of people will die.

I'd give it two episodes on that count. Okada is known for her slow pacing.

Namtab posted:

It's a good show and Darth walrus is overthinking things

Nah, it's silly as gently caress and it's nice to be charitable about shows, especially when they drop hints that they're aware they're silly as gently caress.

I agree that it has the potential to be good, though, especially if Okada keeps ripping the poo poo out of her own Okada-isms, and since serious Okada can be pretty deece too, I'm also looking forward to Kiznaiver.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For some reason Mayoiga reminded me of Another, and apparently the director worked on both. This is a big plus for me since I really liked Another (from the creepy early episodes to the over the top anime Final Destination ending) so I'm hooked. Time to see a bunch of weirdo losers murder each other!

I want to bet on who dies first, but that would be more appropriate for a dedicated thread I guess.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Post it!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dear Pan de Peace!,

Strawberry jam on egg sandwiches is just wrong.

Regards

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gyra_Solune posted:

okay was zetsuen no tempest any good? i have no idea how that one was

Zetsuen no Tempest was real good once you get past the first few episodes, which are more dour than the series overall ends up being. Lots of great scene chewing and a multi-episode debate on the mechanics of time travel.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Dear Pan de Peace!,

Strawberry jam on egg sandwiches is just wrong.

Regards

Yuri Pan show still good though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Zetsuen no Tempest was real good once you get past the first few episodes, which are more dour than the series overall ends up being. Lots of great scene chewing and a multi-episode debate on the mechanics of time travel.

Like a couple of Okada's other shows, though, it could have used some tighter editing, especially in the second half.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yuri Pan show still good though.

It's cute, I wish it was a bit longer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; drat it, this isn't the chat thread!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 3, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kuma Miko had a good start. A tiny bit slow though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Kuma Miko had a good start. A tiny bit slow though.

I liked it. Didn't seem slow to me either, aside from the bit with the Cops, and that felt deliberate.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd give it two episodes on that count. Okada is known for her slow pacing.

Nah, it's silly as gently caress and it's nice to be charitable about shows, especially when they drop hints that they're aware they're silly as gently caress.

I agree that it has the potential to be good, though, especially if Okada keeps ripping the poo poo out of her own Okada-isms, and since serious Okada can be pretty deece too, I'm also looking forward to Kiznaiver.

So, do you hate silly things? Because you're implying that something being silly is the opposite of something being good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If episode 2 is also good I'm making a thread. Don't expect me to list the character's tho.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't read it, so I was expecting Kuma Miku to be a bit cleaner than that.

Yuri bread buddies was good.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Pan's Labrys.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

I haven't read it, so I was expecting Kuma Miku to be a bit cleaner than that.

Yuri bread buddies was good.

The origin story is the only lewd part of Kuma Miku. It's quite fitting in the "old folk tales" way.

Yuri bread was good, and I hope Maoyoiga turns into another Another.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

If episode 2 is also good I'm making a thread. Don't expect me to list the character's tho.

Coward

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

So, do you hate silly things? Because you're implying that something being silly is the opposite of something being good.

Nah, I was disagreeing that I was overthinking things, because 'silly show might be a comedy' isn't exactly 'the Transformers films are about toxic masculinity, and Megatron is the increasingly emasculated tragic hero' levels of :tinfoil:. Basically, I think that if Mayoiga's going for campy dark humour, mission accomplished. If it's going for a serious psychological thriller, it... might have a bit of a problem.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mari Okada is far from a name I trust, cause I can't really name anything I particularly enjoyed from her; three, maybe four eps of Fujiko Mine(?) and that's a big maybe; but can recall many of her works I greatly disliked before they were through; Anohana, Wixoss, Tempest, Fractale, BRS, the other 8 or so eps of Fujiko.

Her particular brand of melodrama just seems to work better for some forms of genre fic over others. I can't really think of many horror things she's done, so time will tell what direction Mayoiga will go in. Not holding my breath it'll be good or satisfying so much as it will try(and perhaps fail) to be completely crazy, and Okada can certainly do that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

'the Transformers films are about toxic masculinity, and Megatron is the increasingly emasculated tragic hero' levels of :tinfoil:.

That was a good thread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Mari Okada is far from a name I trust, cause I can't really name anything I particularly enjoyed from her; three, maybe four eps of Fujiko Mine(?) and that's a big maybe; but can recall many of her works I greatly disliked before they were through; Anohana, Wixoss, Tempest, Fractale, BRS, the other 8 or so eps of Fujiko.

Her particular brand of melodrama just seems to work better for some forms of genre fic over others. I can't really think of many horror things she's done, so time will tell what direction Mayoiga will go in. Not holding my breath it'll be good or satisfying so much as it will try(and perhaps fail) to be completely crazy, and Okada can certainly do that.

Okada didn't really have much of a presence in either Fujiko Mine or Toradora - the former was Sayo Yamamoto's baby, and had her fingerprints all over it, while the latter was an adaptation of a light novel series. It's her other original works like AnoHana, Nagi no Asukara, Zetsuen no Tempest, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and M3 that provide the best guide to what sort of writer she is.

Just mentioning this because a number of folks in this thread have been going 'well, I liked Fujiko Mine...'.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked Nagi no Asukara.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I liked Nagi no Asukara.

That's fair. Never watched it myself, but I hear it's both pleasant and good-looking.

Does it have Okada's usual OTT villains, though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Just mentioning this because a number of folks in this thread have been going 'well, I liked Fujiko Mine...'.

So what you're saying is that I should be caring about Yuri on Ice instead.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That's fair. Never watched it myself, but I hear it's both pleasant and good-looking.

Does it have Okada's usual OTT villains, though?

Hmm, no. Not at all. It actually doesn't have anything you could really call a villain per se.

It's really melodramatic though. I cried a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So what you're saying is that I should be caring about Yuri on Ice instead.

You absolutely should be caring about Yuri on Ice. Because it looks very, very good.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Okada didn't really have much of a presence in either Fujiko Mine or Toradora - the former was Sayo Yamamoto's baby, and had her fingerprints all over it, while the latter was an adaptation of a light novel series. It's her other original works like AnoHana, Nagi no Asukara, Zetsuen no Tempest, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and M3 that provide the best guide to what sort of writer she is.

m3 i only watched about 4 episodes of, but the rest of those are real good shows.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Re:Zero looks very pretty, but has exceptionally bad tempo. Still, I enjoyed the first light novel, so I'll keep watching for now. Maybe it was just dull because I knew everything that would happen.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Ehhh, Okada was a p big screenwriting credit for that show, writing most of the eps by far, whereas Yamamoto mainly did storyboards and all the other duties of chief director.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Okada's best work by far is true tears.

Hanasaku Iroha was really nice as well, though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Ehhh, Okada was a p big screenwriting credit for that show, writing most of the eps by far, whereas Yamamoto mainly did storyboards and all the other duties of chief director.

so what you're saying is that Okada is a good writer

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Okada is a good writer

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Rodyle posted:

so what you're saying is that Okada is a good writer

Fujiko Mine was not a good show. So no, I'm saying the opposite.

Just saw Re:Zero. I hate anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Fujiko Mine was not a good show.

It was one of the best shows in years, actually.

• Locked thread