Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why not just look at what emerged in Congo during the 40's, 50's, and 60's with mass male migration from a hodgepodge of tribal groups to urban areas as a result of escape from forced labor camps?

Because we were talking about Quilombos, which came into the conversation due to your earlier attempt to be a wiseass by dropping slavery into the topic of societal divisions and vendettas without knowing jack about South American history/culture??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

Because we were talking about Quilombos, which came into the conversation due to your earlier attempt to be a wiseass by dropping slavery into the topic of societal divisions and vendettas without knowing jack about South American history/culture??

The affects of slavery are felt to this day. Has the idea of reparations ever been raised?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
My flatmate's room is a quilombo, its very disorganized.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
whats been happening in argentina my niggas?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I repeatedly posted the need of true right wing posters here to serve as counter balance but I widh I specified latino posters instead of random burger gringo tards.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
eh, I wish I had at least one reasonable right wing person anywhere so I could discuss. They all seem reliant on the usual taking heads , spit all the pre made talking points and almost every one of the right wing people I know try to discuss meritocracy while managing their father's inheritance.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 27, 2016

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I repeatedly posted the need of true right wing posters here to serve as counter balance but I widh I specified latino posters instead of random burger gringo tards.

MIGF is here to represent CIA infiltrators, who make up upwards of 70% of the population of Venezuela alone (Source: VenezuelaAnlysis.org)

Constant Hamprince fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 28, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerdz posted:

eh, I wish I had at least one reasonable right wing person anywhere so I could discuss. They all seem reliant on the usual taking heads , spit all the pre made talking points and almost every one of the right wing people I know try to discuss meritocracy while managing their father's inheritance.

I'm an American centrist who believes in process and implementation over outcome. What policies would you like to discuss in latin america? Land reform? The utility of export-orientated infrastructure development?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

goatse.cx posted:

whats been happening in argentina my niggas?

Obama danced the tango, it was lovely.

Also, protests downtown due to Obama's visit. Tax evasion scandals, Carrio stirring poo poo, same old same old.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Macri has a presidential snapchat now

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-brazil-impeach-20160328-story.html

For English speaking goons trying to understand the bizarre place that is Brazil.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
After yestersay, what are the odds of Dilma being in power by the end of the year?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Freezer posted:

After yestersay, what are the odds of Dilma being in power by the end of the year?

Very low., Id say.

For those who arent up to date: the powerful PMDB, the vice-president party and member of PT coalition from the beggining, have just officially jumped out of the train

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

For those who arent up to date: the powerful PMDB, the vice-president party and member of PT coalition from the beggining, have just officially jumped out of the train

To be honest it is pretty difficult not to consider this a coup when the vice-president's party is leading the impeachment process and is involved in pretty much every corruption scandal the president is accused of.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Note: the vice-president himself is still vice-president, because why be subtle about your political maneuvers?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And in more brazil.txt:

http://noticias.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/bbc/2016/03/29/malafaia-convoca-mega-ato-com-profecias-sobre-fim-da-corrupcao-apos-era-pt.htm

Noted anti-Gay bigot and evangelical pastor Silas Malafaia has called all evangelicals in Brazil to an event in which he will reveal the prophecy that he has received from God that corruption in Brazil will end once PT is out of power.

Dias posted:

Note: the vice-president himself is still vice-president, because why be subtle about your political maneuvers?

The best (read: worst) part of it is that PMDB politicians are openly discussing how they will stop the Lava Jato investigations once they are in power.

And once again, it is important to highlight that Cunha, who is spearheading the impeachment process and who started the PMDB rebellion against the government, did so because Dilma decided to fire his allies from Furnas for being too corrupt.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

And in more brazil.txt:

http://noticias.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/bbc/2016/03/29/malafaia-convoca-mega-ato-com-profecias-sobre-fim-da-corrupcao-apos-era-pt.htm

Noted anti-Gay bigot and evangelical pastor Silas Malafaia has called all evangelicals in Brazil to an event in which he will reveal the prophecy that he has received from God that corruption in Brazil will end once PT is out of power.

The best (read: worst) part of it is that PMDB politicians are openly discussing how they will stop the Lava Jato investigations once they are in power.

Well the investigation won't be necessary anymore once the only corrupt people in Brazilian politics, the PT, are out of office!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If Brazil really wanted to kill PT, it should've hired Konami. :colbert:

(yaaay I got this joke in on a coherent context finally!)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://panamapapers.icij.org
So on a scale of 1 to 10 how big of a shitstorm is this story going to create?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Former Brazilian supreme court judge Barbosa is on the list as using a shell company to buy an apartment in miami. It begins.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Former Brazilian supreme court judge Barbosa is on the list as using a shell company to buy an apartment in miami. It begins.

Oh my god link please.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

Oh my god link please.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article69248772.html

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
eh, this is too light to be newsworthy. but since this is only the beginning, i can't wait to see what's next. It's funny to see right wingers admitting that they don't actually care about corruption. I hope these leaks make them do it a lot more often.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mauricio Macri is also in the documents, big surprise.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Hey Brazilgoons , one guy attracted my attention with his description:

-João Lyra, once Brazil's richest member of Parliament.-

sounds like a fun one, any stories?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Hey Brazilgoons , one guy attracted my attention with his description:

-João Lyra, once Brazil's richest member of Parliament.-

sounds like a fun one, any stories?

He was born in a traditiona family, got really rich in the sugarcane/alcohol industry, used to be one of the richest person in the northeast, rumors say he got away with a few murders in the late 80's. He was the father in law of Pedro Collor, used to be a senator, currently is a congressmen, his brother is a senator, and he had business links with current senate president Renan Calheiros.

His business empire collapsed in the mid 00's (one of the accusations that is still pending in the supreme court is that he and his brother kept a few employees in conditions "analogue to slavery"). he managed to keep it afloat by getting loans, but eventually his debtors managed to declare his bankruptcy. he owns over 2 billion reais to various banks and debtors, and his health is going to poo poo because he's really old and not really used to being poor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Eduardo Cunha is implicated too, of course

I mean, we wouldnt even have to look to know the fucker would be there

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 4, 2016

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
With the Panama Papers leak, among the list was guy involved in the "Casa Blanca" scandal here in Mexico. For anyone who doesn't know, here's a super brief summary from wiki

quote:

The white house scandal refers to a journalistic report that revealed that first lady Angelica Rivera´s $7 million house in Lomas de Chapultepec in Mexico City was registered under the name of a construction company property of Juan Armando Hinojosa Cantú that received contracts in the state of Mexico when Enrique Peña Nieto was governor. With Peña Nieto as president, a subsidiary of the same company was also awarded part of a huge contract to build a high-speed train from Mexico City to Querétaro. The contract was later cancelled amid protests regarding the bidding process.[117] The revelation about the potential conflict of interest in the acquisition of the house aggravated discontent about the government's handling of the disappearance and apparent massacre of 43 trainee teachers by a drug gang working with corrupt police and government officers in Guerrero. Rivera released a video in which she detailed her income as a former soap opera actress, stating that she was selling the house and that the property was not under her name because she had not made the full payment yet.[118] However, Enrique Peña Nieto has failed to address the potential conflict of interest in spite of constant demands by the Mexican citizens, media and senators from the opposition.[119] [120] The white house scandal triggered yet another scandal as Peña Nieto has been linked to another house owned by Juan Armando Hinojosa Cantú, owner of Grupo Higa. The house was used during the Presidential campaign in 2012 and a few times once he was already elected President. The official statement from the President's office, however, claims that the house was used only a few times for meetings and not when he was already President. An article published on Aristegui Noticias provided evidence that the house was indeed used by Peña Nieto after the election.

If more names are coming, I would totally not be surprised to see Slim, Azcárraga, Salinas and gently caress ton more shitheads popping up.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Magrov posted:

He was born in a traditiona family, got really rich in the sugarcane/alcohol industry, used to be one of the richest person in the northeast, rumors say he got away with a few murders in the late 80's. He was the father in law of Pedro Collor, used to be a senator, currently is a congressmen, his brother is a senator, and he had business links with current senate president Renan Calheiros.

His business empire collapsed in the mid 00's (one of the accusations that is still pending in the supreme court is that he and his brother kept a few employees in conditions "analogue to slavery"). he managed to keep it afloat by getting loans, but eventually his debtors managed to declare his bankruptcy. he owns over 2 billion reais to various banks and debtors, and his health is going to poo poo because he's really old and not really used to being poor.

Thanks. :) I guess he will probably die before seeing any effect from this?

(sugarcane? "analogue to slavery"? An honest-to-goodness plantation owner or what?)

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

(sugarcane? "analogue to slavery"? An honest-to-goodness plantation owner or what?)

something like that. He's a modern day colonel. his family owns the land, the newspaper, the radio station, the local politicians are sponsored by him, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronelism

e.:
lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilian_oligarchs

Magrov fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 4, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Sugarcane harvesting is very rough work if you don't mechanize. That's why Brazil had to import so many slaves instead of letting the population grow naturally like it did in the U.S. - they died too fast from working in the sugarcane fields. I imagine he was just withholding wages and treating his workers badly, it happens in the U.S. even today.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks a bunch guys, these are very interesting facts.

Did this agrarian overlord class manage well the transfer into the new economy? This Lyra guy seems like it did not go as planned.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

Also Iapetus sucks!

Badger of Basra posted:

Sugarcane harvesting is very rough work if you don't mechanize. That's why Brazil had to import so many slaves instead of letting the population grow naturally like it did in the U.S. - they died too fast from working in the sugarcane fields. I imagine he was just withholding wages and treating his workers badly, it happens in the U.S. even today.

here's the quote from the stf inquiry:

Rosa Weber posted:

Segundo a fiscalização, foram encontrados cinquenta e três trabalhadores em condições irregulares. Sintetizo algumas situações que teriam sido verificadas:

- o alojamento destinado aos trabalhadores sujo, com mau cheiro, sem ventilação adequada;
- ausência de colchões no alojamento, utilizando os trabalhadores, para dormir, “espumas de má qualidade, visivelmente envelhecidas, sujas e muitas rasgadas”;
- água disponibilizada no alojamento proveniente apenas de torneiras;
- a água disponibilizada aos trabalhadores nos canaviais, em caçambas precárias e sujas;
- não havia banheiros;
- não havia mesas ou cadeiras para refeições;
- não havia material de primeiros socorros;
- não eram entregues equipamentos de proteção adequados aos trabalhadores;
- o transporte dos trabalhadores era realizado em ônibus precários;
- os trabalhadores eram submetidos a exaustiva jornada de trabalho, constando informações de que prestariam até seis horas extras por dia;
- não era disponibilizado transporte aos trabalhadores para o retorno às respectivas residências durante as folgas.

so yeah, it's a few workers kept in lovely conditions, like lack of bathrooms, mattresses and a proper source of water. poo poo like this happens all the time, only this time the owner of the farm was a congressmen.

it's also an emblematic example of how disfunctional is the judiciary branch in brazil. The police found the workers in degrading situation in 2008. 2 years later, in 2010, a criminal complaint was filed in the Alagoas federal court. Since the plantation owner was a congressmen, the complaint was forwarded to the supreme court. 2 years later, in 2012, the complaint was accepted by the supreme court. the defense filed an appeal, complaining about procedural bullshit. 2 years later, in 2014, the appeal was rejected (the decision was basically a "lol no", followed by 20 pages of quotes), and the complaint finally became a proper criminal case. A few months later, in 2015, the supreme court noticed that the congressman failed to be reelected, so the process was sent back to the Alagoas federal court.

brazil.txt.

edit.
this shitpost had more research done than the vast majority of the news currently on the home page of any major brazillain newspaper.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Joaquim Barbosa is throwing some half assed excuses about his apartment purchase on twitter and of course everyone is standing behind him. No need to explain yourself mr. judge, you're a national hero

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

nerdz posted:

I know people here hate reddit, because most of reddit is terrible. However, there's a sub called /r/neutralpolitics that kind of kicks rear end. You can't be a douchebag, and if you make a claim about anything that could be documented, you have to back it up with a reference or your post will get deleted. There are quite a few really intelligent conservatives there who make good posts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

Joaquim Barbosa is throwing some half assed excuses about his apartment purchase on twitter and of course everyone is standing behind him. No need to explain yourself mr. judge, you're a national hero

everyone from B class and up evades taxes so it makes sense people treat that with leniency

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

everyone from B class and up evades taxes so it makes sense people treat that with leniency

And that is despite the fact that taxes for the wealthy in Brazil are among the lowest for all the countries for which we have data. But yeah, the whole "the price without a receipt is lower" thing is pretty much the norm.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I know people here hate reddit, because most of reddit is terrible. However, there's a sub called /r/neutralpolitics that kind of kicks rear end. You can't be a douchebag, and if you make a claim about anything that could be documented, you have to back it up with a reference or your post will get deleted. There are quite a few really intelligent conservatives there who make good posts.

The thing is that, from a global perspective, the Brazilian government is fairly conservative/right wing. You won't see many Brazilian intellectuals be consistently right wing because there is very little to the right in terms of actual reasonable policies that Brazil can take. Two exceptions are privatizations and a tougher control on inflation by the central bank, which people can still reasonably be in favor of, but those are fairly minor. Brazil has regressive taxation, very little in terms of spending policies that actually redistribute income, and a very generous set of policies aimed at the richest members of society. So it is possible to find an economist or other intellectual who is right of center and will talk about some of the more marginal aspects of the government (privatizations, central bank and inflation, etc.) But it will be impossible to find a reasonable intellectual who is against the Bolsa Familia, for example, which is one of the biggest controversies among rich people in Brazil.

Which is not to say you can't be right win in Brazil and still be reasonable. But that in the core functions of the state that divide left and right (taxation, redistribution, social security), Reagan and Thatcher would be considered radical left wingers.

The best way to understand the Brazilian existing right wing is that they are more like feudal plutocrats, as opposed to a traditional right wing. They all want the government to reduce spending, but not on judiciary salaries (since every wealthy family will have at least one member trying to get a job as a judge/prosecutor) or business subsidies. Hell, being a judge in Brazil is the sweetest gig there is. They don't want to cut funding to the federal universities, they just want to end the quotas so that they can go back to being almost exclusive to the wealthiest sectors of society. They want to cut bolsa familia despite overwhelming evidence of it being one of the most successful government programs in the world.

I strongly recommend two books for people who want to understand the mess that is Brazil currently: Raymund Faoro's "Os Donos do Poder" and Sergio Buarque the Holanda's Raizes do Brasil. I don't think they've been translated to English, but you can find summaries online.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 4, 2016

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Mauricio Macri is also in the documents, big surprise.
Not only him, Daniel Muñoz
https://panamapapers.icij.org/the_power_players/?lang=en&autoheight=true#31

Néstor Grindetti
https://panamapapers.icij.org/the_power_players/?lang=en&autoheight=true#48

This is the same company Baez and Cristina were using too.
http://www.clarin.com/politica/extrana-Cristina-Seychelles-paraiso-fiscal_0_977302283.html

Lots of interesting stuff to come out

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Siselmo posted:

With the Panama Papers leak, among the list was guy involved in the "Casa Blanca" scandal here in Mexico. For anyone who doesn't know, here's a super brief summary from wiki

If more names are coming, I would totally not be surprised to see Slim, Azcárraga, Salinas and gently caress ton more shitheads popping up.

If by Salinas you mean Salinas Pliego, he is in the documents, used an offshore company to buy goods, mostly expensive works of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone from Uruguay tell me why the hell everything is so expensive except for mate and legal weed?