Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

So , huh, about these panama papers

https://panamapapers.icij.org/

apparently dozens of world leaders are implied in massive tax evasion scheme.

Many questions are still unanswered , but i think the main one is: can we now guillotine the rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Problem is that they own the guillotine.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Here's Iceland's PM being asked about it:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gaj posted:

is there any such imposition for flights going to Saudi Arabia or any of the other cover-up nations?

As per the article, the policy has been in place re Saudi Arabia for a while.

I do not know whether the SA policy is "we will exempt you from these flights if requested".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Looks like the IMF thinks Greece leaked that letter too

https://twitter.com/SpiegelPeter/status/716727061851807744

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The ironic part is you treating all of Europe as a homogeneous entity worthy only of contempt, ignoring that many peoples in Europe have more often been the victim of imperialism than the benefactors, especially as you move east. I guess that serves the purpose of justifying American cultural imperialism pretty well though, so no need to question it on your part.

Right, I should respect your cultural contributions, like dressing up in blackface for Christmas.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

computer parts posted:

Right, I should respect your cultural contributions, like dressing up in blackface for Christmas.

Only bad because yanks went all weird about it.

Once again America ruins everything.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kassad posted:

It's cute to see people talk about Haiti and Brazil when France and the UK still controls several islands in the West Indies populated by the descendants of African slaves.

You mean corsica? :D

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
This looks surprisingly civil and orderly.

https://twitter.com/aylushka_a/status/716881464843964416

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
So much for 'Murica vs Yurp national pride. Also some cool additional thoughts on immigrants.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

They're Mestizo..

So Europeans participating on cultural as well as ethnic genocide of the natives, with a drop of native blood in them, no doubt gained through means made inherently violent due to the power differential. Please apologize for even bringing up that imperialist filth.

E: Like, I'm sorry your ancestors were greedy rapists, murderers and pillagers, but you don't have to turn your shame against us whose families were happy to chill in their serf hovels instead of crossing the ocean in hopes of subjugating the savages and taking their gold and women.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 4, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Puistokemisti posted:

Only bad because yanks went all weird about it.

Once again America ruins everything.

American cultural imperialism.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

So Europeans participating on cultural as well as ethnic genocide of the natives, with a drop of native blood in them, no doubt gained through means made inherently violent due to the power differential. Please apologize for even bringing up that imperialist filth.

E: Like, I'm sorry your ancestors were greedy rapists, murderers and pillagers, but you don't have to turn your shame against us whose families were happy to chill in their serf hovels instead of crossing the ocean in hopes of subjugating the savages and taking their gold and women.

Hey I'll have you know I'm a direct descendant of both Charlemagne AND Attila.*

*Just like everyone else.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Like, I'm sorry your ancestors were greedy rapists, murderers and pillagers, but you don't have to turn your shame against us whose families were happy to chill in their serf hovels instead of crossing the ocean in hopes of subjugating the savages and taking their gold and women.

My ancestors where oppressed by Bohemian serfs. How dare you whitewashing your history!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Does anyone know what is in the association treaty with Ukraine? Us dutchies are having a referendum on it but the arguments are all over the place and super vague..

Nobody knows, because the referendum is not fundamentally about what's in the association agreement but really about just how much you hate the EU and distrust elites of all kind.

(for the record, the vast majority of it is completely unreadable and highly technical stuff about trade , regulations, and dispute settlement that will be a consequence of Ukraine adopting or approximating the acquis communautaire , while a smaller part of it has to do with assisting the Ukraine in developing more democratic institutions and fighting corruption. It also codifies previous agreements on visa-free travel for Ukrainians in the EU. I'm skeptical about how effective the EU assistance will be but it's probably worth a shot, imho).

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaj posted:

is there any such imposition for flights going to Saudi Arabia or any of the other cover-up nations?

I dunno about Iran Air or Saudia, but on non-Iranian airlines flying from Iran, all the women take off the scarf like the moment they get on the plane... going there, they put it on sometime during the flight

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://gfycat.com/RewardingWaryBubblefish

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Nobody knows, because the referendum is not fundamentally about what's in the association agreement but really about just how much you hate the EU and distrust elites of all kind.

(for the record, the vast majority of it is completely unreadable and highly technical stuff about trade , regulations, and dispute settlement that will be a consequence of Ukraine adopting or approximating the acquis communautaire , while a smaller part of it has to do with assisting the Ukraine in developing more democratic institutions and fighting corruption. It also codifies previous agreements on visa-free travel for Ukrainians in the EU. I'm skeptical about how effective the EU assistance will be but it's probably worth a shot, imho).

Thanks, i was hoping you'd show up :)

I agree with the first part and the geenstijl folks kinda said as much i believe. I'm kind of on the fence on if this will help Ukraine, but after skimming the (humongous) document and reading your reply, I'm going to vote yes on it.

If only to take a bit of wind out of the GS crowd sails, hoping it won't be a No landslide.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Thanks, i was hoping you'd show up :)

Aw thanks, that made my day :).

Humans Among Us posted:

I agree with the first part and the geenstijl folks kinda said as much i believe. I'm kind of on the fence on if this will help Ukraine, but after skimming the (humongous) document and reading your reply, I'm going to vote yes on it.

I'm not really sure just how much it will help Ukraine either, but to me it is quite clear that Ukrainians on the whole want this agreement, and their elected parliament and president approved it, so that's good enough for me. Voting yes on Wednesday too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hope they enjoy living under a guy that does this poo poo:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Aw thanks, that made my day :).

I'm not really sure just how much it will help Ukraine either, but to me it is quite clear that Ukrainians on the whole want this agreement, and their elected parliament and president approved it, so that's good enough for me. Voting yes on Wednesday too.

:hfive:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

That's the Dutch, but then you don't distinguish between Europeans.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's the Dutch, but then you don't distinguish between Europeans.

For what it's worth, a lot of people are getting sick of the whole issue and i predict black pete will be pretty much gone between now and 10 years.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Humans Among Us posted:

For what it's worth, a lot of people are getting sick of the whole issue and i predict black pete will be pretty much gone between now and 10 years.

Another victory for American cultural imperialism :fsmug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Humans Among Us posted:

Seems pretty controversial to erase a black cultural icon.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/GreekAnalyst/status/717279948696903680

They deleted the original tweet and wrote a new one which is supposed to state the same

https://twitter.com/newsbombgr/status/717283454052864000

It's this time of year again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Greek government is banking on a debt deal after the first review and medium-term economic recovery, it would make no sense for them to call for snap elections anytime soon.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The Greek government is banking on a debt deal after the first review and medium-term economic recovery, it would make no sense for them to call for snap elections anytime soon.

So you are telling me that SYRIZA (and you) have suddenly changed their belief system and are now austerity zealots who believe the IMF is right in their projections?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

So you are telling me that SYRIZA (and you) have suddenly changed their belief system and are now austerity zealots who believe the IMF is right in their projections?

No, I am not saying that. The government is (probably) hoping things will just end up working out somehow, with renewed investment through the Juncker package, funds that will be available for spending after the debt deal and so on. Maybe that partly includes acceptance of some IMF axioms. But depending on what deal they agree on they might have trouble getting it through their own MPs. I guess that raises the spectre of elections, but it would take the IMF and EU deliberately making impossible demands for that to happen.

As for me, don't conflate me with SYRIZA. I voted against them last election, and I don't plan on voting for them in future either. I still believe they're working in good faith, but they're wrong and Varoufakis was right.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's kinda funny people still support Varoufakis. He was too lazy to actually want to be involved in actual governance and took the easy way out by founding a talk-shop to pay the bills.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yanis varoufakis just put out a really interesting and engrossing article on the guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/yanis-varoufakis-why-we-must-save-the-eu

It's especially interesting insight into how really awful the military fascists who ruled Greece were, and really how absolutely lovely and scummy Schauble and that Dutch dude are.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Yanis varoufakis just put out a really interesting and engrossing article on the guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/yanis-varoufakis-why-we-must-save-the-eu

It's especially interesting insight into how really awful the military fascists who ruled Greece were, and really how absolutely lovely and scummy Schauble and that Dutch dude are.

And at the end you realise he's hawking a book. So Varoufakis

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

And at the end you realise he's hawking a book. So Varoufakis

considering he and his publisher literally gave his last book away, I don't think it's a great idea to attack varoufakis with

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Remember, if you write a book, and want that book to sell, everything you ever write can forever be disregarded.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We got a glimpse into his monied lifestyle with that infamous GQ spread of his in the midst of the crisis so it wouldn't surprise me if he's flush with cash from his days as a politician. Hopefully we'll see his name pop up in the Panama Papers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wait, making literature and writing books on current events is a bad thing now? I knew right wing insanity was on the rise in Europe but wow I didn't think it was THAT bad.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yah it's pretty embarrassing that he lost to the illiterate Greek far right

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Yah it's pretty embarrassing that he lost to the illiterate Greek far right

Dude what's your problem? why do you hate smart people writing interesting articles and books?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not sure why you're melting down about a foreign politician but I don't think Varoufakis talking about how to fix Europe holds much credibility given he had an opportunity to govern but found it too hard and went back to being a pundit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'm not sure why you're melting down about a foreign politician but I don't think Varoufakis talking about how to fix Europe holds much credibility given he had an opportunity to govern but found it too hard and went back to being a pundit.

Oh, you're taking the "he found it too hard to govern so he quit" line as a serious argument rather than a cheap burn? Please tell me under what circumstances a minister resigning would not qualify as them doing so because it's "too hard to govern".