Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Deified Data posted:

I've never encountered this and I made the Castle my home base for the entirety of at least one playthrough.

There are lots of mirelurks in the surrounding area but I've never seen the queen respawn.

Making it your home base might have prevented any respawns, since areas don't reset until after the player hasn't visited for a while.

Phetz posted:

Yeah I heard about that too and I looked around in my Pip-Boy for a miscellaneous task or a map indicator or something, didn't find it. Maybe that's coming in an update.

It shows up as one of the entries in the Misc Quests, and won't be selected by default if you have another quest selected as your active quest. It definitely exists though, because I used it to figure out that Dogmeat was calling for help from ten feet underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I've never encountered this and I made the Castle my home base for the entirety of at least one playthrough.

There are lots of mirelurks in the surrounding area but I've never seen the queen respawn.

To clarify, I forgot a /or after and. I never really use the castle but I remember when everyone was talking about the achievement for 100 happiness. It was mentioned multiple times that the Castle is pretty close to impossible due to nearby respawns.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So I've been using Dogmeat as a companion throughout my survival run, even going so far as to put three points into Attack Dog so I can get the most out of him. Still, he seems not great by comparison to any of the other companions and terrible by comparison to the good companions (Danse, Robots... etc.). Still, Lone Wanderer is excessively useful, bordering on necessary, in Survival and he provides a fine distraction during clutch moments. I've only seen attack dog proc on humans and small animals, though, which would have effected my choice to pick it up.

Can anyone offer some advice on making the most of the Dog? Also, I've heard only the second level of inspirational works with. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dorkopotamis posted:

Still holding out for that Obsidian made sequel.

This is still part of a best-case scenario. Even if Obsidian writes it, and someone like Arkane builds it... it will be better than Bethesda's writing and still play well.

The absolute best for these games would be Obsidian writing, and Bethesda making the world. Force Bethesda to actually have things in the game other than "and now you kill everyone" all the time.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thr survival beta caught my interest and i had a gift card lying around so I'm now downloading the game. Are there any must have mods and do they work with survival mode? Also, is the game good with a 360 controller? My back hurts so ive been playing the elder scrolls online laying down, which worked surprisingly well.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mods are currently disabled for the beta, so no. Also, you have to opt-in to the beta on Steam, so don't forget to do that.

Game works just fine with a 360 controller. Native support (inc. Prompts) etc.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Model swaps and such still work. So if you want prettier ladies and a custom pip-boy they're fair game

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

I just got the game a few days ago and... hm.

Is it okay that I think the Brotherhood of Steel are the worst? like, they're power armored republican terrorists. I don't get how I'm supposed to feel remotely okay with what they want to do. I even unintentionally joined them by sorta bumbling into the dialogues, but I'm at this point i really want to go full MD Geist here and nuke them into oblivion.
And speaking of that character:

I literally made as close to Geist as I possibly good. I named him Danger Geist so Codsworth could atleast say a name.
Really heavily considering making a power armor mod with the goofy football man armor from the OVA.
I just miss the Post-Apocalyptic Orthodox Jews in New Vegas.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm just happy that Nick Valentine exists. he's straight up the best thing about this game for me so far. Like, yeah, the game is real fun and all, but it's wonderful to have an actual cool sidekick detective hanging around. Hell, I wanted to make a similiar character back when the fallout 3 GECK came out, I just wasn't nearly skilled enough to pull it off.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How much would lack of Chris (presumably) affect any sequel? Still got rope kid for quality content.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I would have loved Nick if I could have turned him into kellog.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

GuyUpNorth posted:

How much would lack of Chris (presumably) affect any sequel? Still got rope kid for quality content.

Lack of Chris Avellone? Painful but not fatal, he mainly wrote for the DLC and barely contributed anything to the base game,

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Gonkish posted:

This is still part of a best-case scenario. Even if Obsidian writes it, and someone like Arkane builds it... it will be better than Bethesda's writing and still play well.

The absolute best for these games would be Obsidian writing, and Bethesda making the world. Force Bethesda to actually have things in the game other than "and now you kill everyone" all the time.

Obsidian's writing is just as bad as Bethesda's.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JackBadass posted:

Not really.

But Chris Avellone is an insanely overhyped writer with a weird cult of personality who usually writes in the worst parts of the games he's been attached to. Like his stuff in Pillars of Eternity is just... not good and doesn't mesh well with the rest of it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Welcome back, JackBadass

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Obsidian's bad writing is overwriting. Like how divisive grieving Mother and her walls of text.

Bethesda's bad writing is them not expanding on their spark notes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gonkish posted:

New Vegas's writing was paired with their world design.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Obsidian explores interesting subjects and fleshes out their worlds like no other developer making games, outside of niche studios like Harebrained Schemes. Mask of the Betrayer was probably one of the best RPGs ever in terms of establishing/creating involvement in an interesting story and POE explored faith and consciousness through the lens of Swedenborgian Mystics. Totally novel as far as video games are concerned.

I have no idea how much of what I like about them came from Chris, but from what I've heard: not the better parts.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 3, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Zore posted:

Not really.

But Chris Avellone is an insanely overhyped writer with a weird cult of personality who usually writes in the worst parts of the games he's been attached to. Like his stuff in Pillars of Eternity is just... not good and doesn't mesh well with the rest of it.

Avellone's parts of POE were not great, but lets not pretend he's a bad writer. New Reno in Fallout 2 was one of the best parts of that game, and he wrote that.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Nasgate posted:

I would have loved Nick if I could have turned him into kellog.

I expected there might be something like that you'd have to choose at one point in the MQ, but no. Of course not.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Next DLC is pokemon + thunderdome, looks pretty neat. Can't wait to build raider settlements by capturing and enslaving brainwashing making friends with raiders.

After that is actual substantial story DLC like the new vegas ones or shivering isles. Basically going to be Stephen King Novel: The Expansion Pack

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

botany posted:

Avellone's parts of POE were not great, but lets not pretend he's a bad writer. New Reno in Fallout 2 was one of the best parts of that game, and he wrote that.

He's not a bad writer, but he is extremely overhyped and I've found his recent work incredibly mediocre. Especially since it seems more and more to be long navel gazing totally divorced from the rest of the game.

People should be recognizing other Obsidian writers because he isn't writing this poo poo alone and its weird he has such a cult following.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zore posted:

He's not a bad writer, but he is extremely overhyped and I've found his recent work incredibly mediocre. Especially since it seems more and more to be long navel gazing totally divorced from the rest of the game.

People should be recognizing other Obsidian writers because he isn't writing this poo poo alone and its weird he has such a cult following.

Also "Good at video game writing" isn't exactly prestigious. Even the best games writing falls well behind the best writing in other media.

And I think Wolfenstein: TNO/TOB has much better characters and story than people like to ride 'Obsidian' or 'CA's' dick over.

It's weird how entire teams of writers, animators, artists, etc have to coordinate to make a game but we give all the credit to a handful of 'celebrity' devs as if they did it all themselves.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 3, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zore posted:

This is exactly how I feel about Kirkbride.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

frajaq posted:

Welcome back, JackBadass

Thanks. Just bought the DLC and came back to say I totally called it on there being more costumed supernerds in 4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you get an eyebot chassis?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I bought the Overseer's Guardian recently, and changed its receiver (and other mods) for more per-shot damage. Now it doesn't fire two bullets per mouse click anymore -- just one. Does that mean it's effectively no different than any other highly modded rifle? Is there something special about its armor piercing auto receiver?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

pmchem posted:

I bought the Overseer's Guardian recently, and changed its receiver (and other mods) for more per-shot damage. Now it doesn't fire two bullets per mouse click anymore -- just one. Does that mean it's effectively no different than any other highly modded rifle? Is there something special about its armor piercing auto receiver?

You still fire two shots per trigger pull. It's just semi auto now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

pmchem posted:

You get pinpoint accuracy with changing to a single shot reciever, you're still firing two bullets, they're just on top of each other.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

pmchem posted:

Fallout Wikia says it's a bug (in PS4, possibly Xbone and/or PC) that happens when you upgrade to calibrated powerful receiver or long ported barrel.

Doesn't make clear whether it's just the loss of the prefix in the name or loss of the effect entirely. The damage would have taken a big dive, and your slow-mo VATS animation would have been affected.

To be clear though it never actually used 2 bullets for ammo count, it was a 2-for-1 deal.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Elder Maxson did nothing wrong, that is all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

Fallout Wikia says it's a bug (in PS4, possibly Xbone and/or PC) that happens when you upgrade to calibrated powerful receiver or long ported barrel.

Doesn't make clear whether it's just the loss of the prefix in the name or loss of the effect entirely. The damage would have taken a big dive, and your slow-mo VATS animation would have been affected.

To be clear though it never actually used 2 bullets for ammo count, it was a 2-for-1 deal.

ah, ok, thanks. I thought it was supposed to use 2 bullets in ammo count (so it didn't save you ammo, it just saved you action points or time in general). I'll check out slo-mo VATS when I can.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

finally unlocked shops in survival and what a huge difference it makes - now I can get dewormed whenever I want . also the robot workshop.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

It's weird how entire teams of writers, animators, artists, etc have to coordinate to make a game but we give all the credit to a handful of 'celebrity' devs as if they did it all themselves.

This happens in all media. Who made Jurassic Park? uh Steven Spielberg

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Survival mode tip:

Beeline through the story in order to get access to vertibirds. Traveling long distance for stupid reasons becomes a lot less painful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao if you side with a faction with vertibird access

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao if you side with a faction with vertibird access

The brotherhood storyline is surprisingly good.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

ghouls are a ticking timebomb to their fellow wastelanders and while I believe the brotherhood is mistaken towards synths and they aren't more dangerous than the average wastelander when left to their own devices, Their construction and use by the institute must be ceased at once.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

Survival mode tip:

Beeline through the story in order to get access to vertibirds. Traveling long distance for stupid reasons becomes a lot less painful.

I'm nearing the end quest of my first playthrough and am hostile to BoS. How do the vertibirds work, can you fly anywhere from point A to point B, or limited routes?

Also, for fast travel in survival mode, it seems that introducing yourself to The Institute would be the best option? I mean, then you can just teleport anywhere from the Institute, back to the Institute, and then back to anywhere you want? It'd be just like current fast travel with one pit stop -- and I guess, instantaneous in time, instead of time elapsing? Seems ideal, really? How did survival beta handle that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Well, it finally happened. Using Blitz to kill a Mirelurk Hatchling got me stuck in a drain pipe with no way to get out. Have to roll back to the last save.

In other news, I finally hit 15 and started the Automatron quest chain. As a melee dude, it's gonna be messy. :shepface:

pmchem posted:

I'm nearing the end quest of my first playthrough and am hostile to BoS. How do the vertibirds work, can you fly anywhere from point A to point B, or limited routes?

Also, for fast travel in survival mode, it seems that introducing yourself to The Institute would be the best option? I mean, then you can just teleport anywhere from the Institute, back to the Institute, and then back to anywhere you want? It'd be just like current fast travel with one pit stop -- and I guess, instantaneous in time, instead of time elapsing? Seems ideal, really? How did survival beta handle that?

You call in the Vertibird, you hop on, and then you pick a fast travel target through the Pip-Boy as if you were fast traveling. Then you get to attempt to kill random things with the minigun while flying there. In my regular game I mostly used it for travel while overencumbered.

I read somewhere that attempting to use the Institute teleportation system doesn't work so well because while you can teleport to the Institute from anywhere you're only allowed to leave via the CIT ruins, so it's basically one-way with a fixed exit. I haven't verified this myself but it makes sense.

• Locked thread