Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Probably not unless you privately message goons beforehand or hang out in line. There are too many goons passing by Tokyo and only cool people like me hang out with locals and see cool poo poo.

poo poo posting aside I'm sorry I'm busy with my girlfriend and other travel friend and can't hang out better luck next time

All good. Is there a group chat on line or something, I've never used it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Aethersphere posted:

Anybody ever been to Video Game Bar Space Station in Osaka? Any good? I've heard some mixed reviews. We're leaving for Osaka in a week or so, trying to figure out what all to do there.

Also: Spa World. Gross? Fun? Both?
Space Station is a nice place to chill, it's just physically small. If you come right at 8 PM you'll get a seat, past that especially on a weekend it gets crowded fast. Diverse crowd and there will occasionally be local games industry people in and having a drink.

Spa World is fun. You can only access one of the two spa floors at a time per month though (sex-segregated).

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
I was hanging with some friends last night in Shinjuku and one had mentioned that dancing at clubs is banned... I haven't been to a club yet in Tokyo and wanted to make tonight my first time, but, gently caress, I don't really know what else to do at a club. Is he full of it? What's the best one or two in Tokyo if I can only go to one or two?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Your friend is way out of date. Dancing is legal now and before it didn't matter anyways and some clubs would just get busted, but customers never got in trouble.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

I was hanging with some friends last night in Shinjuku and one had mentioned that dancing at clubs is banned... I haven't been to a club yet in Tokyo and wanted to make tonight my first time, but, gently caress, I don't really know what else to do at a club. Is he full of it? What's the best one or two in Tokyo if I can only go to one or two?

I dance every single goddamn weekend. If you wanna pay, go to ageha. It shits all over every other club in Tokyo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Confirmed, Knuc is Kevin Bacon.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

All good. Is there a group chat on line or something, I've never used it before.

Yeah there's a group chat I don't have link though sorry but once you download set your profile to visible and post here.

One of the folks will probably pick you up. But there's a bajillion posters there and is like LAN on hyper speed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The age verification on LINE is obnoxious so everyone just adds me instead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Confirmed, Knuc is Kevin Bacon.

It's true.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sakura festival in the Nagoya area

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
When I first did a Sakura viewing festival, I was kind of disappointed that all it was was sitting on a plastic mat eating snacks. Then I realized people were passing around beer and it became an awesome event.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes JHA BAR is happening 9pm

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
yo .Z. we probably passed each other at that Sakura spot. I was also there Saturday.

Question... Kaiseki meals worth the $100+? I would consider myself a 'foodie' kinda, but I also could see the value in just passing on the fancy meal and gorging myself on sushi and ramen for cheaper.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd do kaiseki at a ryokan. You can also try a course dinner at a sushi izakaya that will be much cheaper.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kaiseki is like an ancient scam started by the broke rear end imperial household. It's to swindle rich daimiyo claiming some ancient fancy heritage serving small amounts of fish or glorifying some piece of tofu and calling it culture while the daimiyo swallows each bite with frustration in order to gain imperial recognition.

Oh yeah the daimiyo were rich and all but had no class so they accepted everything hook line and sinker.

Then again kaiseki is more of an experience and ritual. Yes there is good food but pay through the nose like 300+ before you actually taste anything resembling good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I get my meals from Family Mart.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I try to eat as often as possible at the Indian place in the town over but my wife won't let me go more than once a week, if that

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a real event when I go though. I walk through the woods and through two communities, listen to two full podcasts, get there, get a draft beer, have a book, unlimited naan and awesome curry, read for an hour or two, then walk back home listening to two more podcasts.

If you ever want to experience this authentic goon experience, come meet me north of Fukuoka and bring 450 USD for this rich and cultural experience

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately bar is closed and not much stuff around. So doing karaoke in kanda

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Currently eating my breakfasts and weekend lunches at Sunkus or Bellmart because my cheap company only gives me $10 each for breakfast and lunch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Oh, good to know that I'm getting the authentic Japanese experience. Places I've eaten:
1. Familymart spicy chicken
2. 7-11 spicy chicken
3. Lawson spicy chicken
4. Coco ichi
5. Familymart spicy chicken

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Oh, good to know that I'm getting the authentic Japanese experience. Places I've eaten:
1. Familymart spicy chicken
2. 7-11 spicy chicken
3. Lawson spicy chicken
4. Coco ichi
5. Familymart spicy chicken

Family mart does the best spicy chicken, easily.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Should I get a bunch of traveler's checks before I go to Japan? Or can I get by with a credit card just about everywhere?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Who the gently caress still uses travellers cheques?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My mom saves images onto her computer by copying pasting the image to a Word document and then saving that Word document and she still doesn't use travellers cheques.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Aliens and people who lived under a cave

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Lemmi Caution posted:

Walk around with thousands of dollars in your pocket and don't worry about all that bullshit. Always worked for me.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I dunno I used them last time I traveled internationally but that was on the advice of my parents, who are old people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Should I get a bunch of traveler's checks before I go to Japan? Or can I get by with a credit card just about everywhere?
Travelers checks are a joke.

Check that your atm network has presence in Japan and if so you're good. I wouldn't rely solely on credit cards for foreign travel anywhere.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I heard that traveler's checks have been replaced by prepaid cards.

Japan is a cash society so a credit card won't really be useable outside of hotels.

Exchange cash and/or use an atm on arrival.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

peanut posted:

I heard that traveler's checks have been replaced by prepaid cards.

Japan is a cash society so a credit card won't really be useable outside of hotels.

Exchange cash and/or use an atm on arrival.

It's not as bad as it used to be, loads of restaurants and such take credit cards these days. Which is nice if you have a good bank that doesn't charge a fee for foreign card transactions.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've read that Pasmo cards are accepted at places, can it be used to pay in stores etc or is it mostly for like vending machines and stuff

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ok enjoy eating at Gusto for every meal guys

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hey gusto is great when you are a poor foreign exchange student and cant afford anything

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The main draw of Gusto is T points and being open at breakfast time

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

extravadanza posted:

yo .Z. we probably passed each other at that Sakura spot. I was also there Saturday.

Question... Kaiseki meals worth the $100+? I would consider myself a 'foodie' kinda, but I also could see the value in just passing on the fancy meal and gorging myself on sushi and ramen for cheaper.

Ah, I went on Sunday. Also went to Inuyama for their float festival, but found out they had run the event several hours earlier for fear of rain.

Oh well the miso nabe comforted me. [Not sure if uploading a gif through Awful works]

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Ah, yea I saw the forecast Friday night , so I did Sakura+Inuyama on Saturday.

Would definitely recommend the Inuyama festival to future visitors, it was quite the experience... one of the lanterns even caught fire lol.

Here's a picture.

http://i.imgur.com/vgpR0ws.jpg

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 4, 2016

Cessy
May 15, 2009
Anyone have any experience bringing in a pet and leaving them with a caretaker in quarantine? My ability to google ballpark expenses for importing our two cats is failing miserably on this subject.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cessy posted:

Anyone have any experience bringing in a pet and leaving them with a caretaker in quarantine? My ability to google ballpark expenses for importing our two cats is failing miserably on this subject.

Quarantine is 6 months, isn't it? How long are you planning to stay in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why do so many goons bring their cats to Japan. Give the fuckers away and save yourself a headache and the animals an ordeal.