Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEbsZpweDo

And we're back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

While I enjoy JoJo, think DavidPro is wonderful, and love the scores the artists have done for the anime so far, I am very skeptical that there will ever be a better song in the anime than the PillarMen's theme.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 3, 2016

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
JoJo is cool and good, and even though part 4 isn't my favorite I very much look forward to watching the rest of it.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

God bless you .jpg

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Next week everyone will see me reprising my role as Jotaro's hat, look forward to it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Baal posted:

Next week everyone will see me reprising my role as Jotaro's hat, look forward to it

can you please elaborate on your complicated relationship with Jotaro's hair

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No one can be sure where the Beef ends and the Chief begins.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef waifu

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's funny that we had a dude complain about moe anime when the 80s gore ova thread is right next door.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's funny that we had a dude complain about moe anime when the 80s gore ova thread is right next door.

This used to be 80's gore

Now it's 90's gore

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MonsieurChoc posted:

it's a v good thread imo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My god that first episode was cool.

Oh silly question but Josuke Higashikata, how does he still have JoJo for his nickname? Does the pronunciation for "Higashikata" in Japanese sounds like "Jo" or something like that?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Oh silly question but Josuke Higashikata, how does he still have JoJo for his nickname? Does the pronunciation for "Higashikata" in Japanese sounds like "Jo" or something like that?

In short: Yeah.
I think that the first kanji of Higashikata can also be pronounced as Jo, specifically. You can see it a bit in the scene where the bully looks at his name.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The suke (助) can be pronounced as Jo because Kanji have a lot of different readings. So 仗助 can be "JoJo".

Just trivia but the Jo in Josuke is different to the one in Jotaro. Joseph and Jonathan use the same one because they're foreigners or something like that.

Part 8 trivia:
The "Jo" kanji used is how you can differentiate which Josuke Higashikata is being used in Japanese. It's not something you can do with English so people use nicknames to generally refer to Josuke of Part 8

I don't think anyone ever calls him JoJo and it's basically to establish him as the JoJo to readers/viewers.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cool, I was curious on how it worked. Makes sense that they use JoJo to establish who the main character is here but just keep calling them by their first name.

I'm so happy that turtle was saved :ohdear:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
After month of being able to just just binge watch the anime, I really hate having to wait a week.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

e X posted:

After month of being able to just just binge watch the anime, I really hate having to wait a week.

My sweet summer child.

Imagine how it is when the anime goes on hiatus between seasons AND JoJolion's monthly updates are on hiatus too. That's even worse than a manga hiatus between anime parts being made because it feels like you're missing out on double JoJo for like 2 months.

It's the worst thing of all time.
Only having to wait a week for new JoJo is optimal JoJo situation.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lisa Lisa: Coolest Anime Mom?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The suke (助) can be pronounced as Jo because Kanji have a lot of different readings. So 仗助 can be "JoJo".

Just trivia but the Jo in Josuke is different to the one in Jotaro. Joseph and Jonathan use the same one because they're foreigners or something like that.

More specifically, in Japanese kanji aren't used for foreign words. Instead of that, they use katakana, which are just syllables with no meaning. So Jonathan and Joseph's names are written phonetically while Jotaro's and Josuke's are written in kanji, so the characters that form their names have actual meanings instead of just pronunciations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm only watching two shows this season and both are adaptations of manga I've already read and the wait between weeks is STILL the worst. Time is hosed up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Cool, I was curious on how it worked. Makes sense that they use JoJo to establish who the main character is here but just keep calling them by their first name.

I'm so happy that turtle was saved :ohdear:

They did the same with Jotaro. Barely anyone called him JoJo after the first few episodes.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Lisa Lisa: Coolest Anime Mom?

Izumi Curtis.

Though, I suppose she's technically not a mom. :smith:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

El Hefe posted:

That's cool and if you like that type of anime that's fine by me I just don't want it in the one anime that I like, Jojo.

It's too late, they already made that and it's called Persona 3 & 4.

Man the first few chapters of Part 4 introduce so many weird-rear end Stand Powers. I can't wait to see how DavidPro animates some of the messed up stuff that's about to happen. They already did a bang-up job with the body horror stuff that Crazy Diamond inflicts on people in the first episode.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Consider that Josuke does so unflinchingly- how familiar did he have to be with his Stand before he was like "you know what I should do? Punch through a person and heal 'em up right after!"

https://twitter.com/2yamamorimori/status/716996347778347008

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My favorite part of the episode was Josuke getting mad enough to try and beat up Jotaro, only for Jotaro to still try to helpfully explain what a Stand was to him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He gets the Stand explanation and then tries to beat up Jotaro again.

I assume Jotaro was still thinking with Part 3 naming schemes in mind and assumed Crazy D was called Bubblegum Blue at this point.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Consider that Josuke does so unflinchingly- how familiar did he have to be with his Stand before he was like "you know what I should do? Punch through a person and heal 'em up right after!"

Every living Joestar awoke their stands after DIO returned. Joseph appears to have gotten his before everyone else but Jotaro, Holly, and Josuke all got theirs around the same time, meaning the fever Jotaro mentions Josuke having when he was younger was his stand awakening, same thing that happened to Holly. Ten years of living with a punchghost probably gets you pretty familiar with what it can do.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Huh, and here I thought it was because he was Josuke from Johzenji. His name was right above his address on the ID card that bully was looking at.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
An odd thing is that Kakyoin's backstory is about him feeling isolated from everyone around him due to having a Stand, yet Josuke's had his Stand since he was four and is a normal dude that fits into his surroundings very well. Maybe it has something to do with Josuke's Stand being a big buff dude in cool armor and Kakyoin's being a menacing goo alien.

It also probably wouldn't be super interesting to the story Araki to include Josuke's coming to terms with having a spirit so I totally get it, but having a punch ghost that fixes poo poo you break growing up must have been pretty sick.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I just want to say that this Jojo's ability is super cool, creative, and a sensible interpretation of magically healing things.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Moltrey posted:

An odd thing is that Kakyoin's backstory is about him feeling isolated from everyone around him due to having a Stand, yet Josuke's had his Stand since he was four and is a normal dude that fits into his surroundings very well. Maybe it has something to do with Josuke's Stand being a big buff dude in cool armor and Kakyoin's being a menacing goo alien.

Obviously different people have different personalities and ways to deal with stuff. Although when your superpower is being able to possess people and shoot volleys of emerald things, as opposed to being able to fix stuff, I'm sure it's going to have some kind of an effect on how you interact with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stands are based around the user's personality. Josuke's Stand is about healing and fixing things, so he's probably more sociable than Kakyoin.

• Locked thread