Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, I have a long weekend coming up, I'll try an knock one out, I hope somebody else will write an ENB help post because I just use it for ENBoost.

I'd be up for helping out, maybe we can all pool in together to figure out a good list of recommended mods and get some descriptions/links/screenshots so you can just copy/paste instead of doing all the work yourself.

Also, here's your title:

Modding Skyrim? After all this time? Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'd be up for helping out, maybe we can all pool in together to figure out a good list of recommended mods and get some descriptions/links/screenshots so you can just copy/paste instead of doing all the work yourself.

Also, here's your title:

Modding Skyrim? After all this time? Always.

I assume that's a quote from the game, what's it from?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The ones I'm considering are "Modding IS the game", "Here there be lizardtits", or "Don't use NMM, dammit."

Edit: or maybe "Lizard tits? In MY game?"

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skyrim belongs to the modders

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Seems like I finally broke the game. I'm getting a crash when going near, or fast-traveling to Eldergleam Sanctuary. Luckily I have no reason to go there anymore, but it is somewhat disconcerting to have a NOPE-zone in my Skyrim. The game has been surprisingly stable for an embarrassingly large amount of playtime, even with around 70 mods.

I can't think of anything that might turn the surroundings of Eldergleam Sanctuary into a CTD-zone. I killed the dragon nearby without trouble, the quest inside has been completed ages ago, the Papyrus log is of no help whatsoever, disabling tons of mods till the game no longer works does nothing, and LOOT and the Mod Manager are telling me everything is fine. It must be from a mod I uninstalled and forgot about, or perhaps just a vanilla bug. So I guess I just keep away from that area?

Edit: Tried loading an earlier save, but the only one that lets me go to the surroundings of Eldergleam is way too far back, and there's nothing Eldergleamy about the point where the saves go from ok to nope. I assume that the region reset while I was dicking around in the north and that that somehow has spawned something that doesn't work.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 3, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Squeegy posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fleve posted:

the Papyrus log is of no help whatsoever <snip> and LOOT and the Mod Manager are telling me everything is fine
The papyrus log is not a crash log for the skyrim executable and unless you're debugging a script there's not much point to have it enabled.
I don't know what mod manager you're using, but at best they can make you aware that files from one mod are overriding files from another mod. They can't inform you about any possible problems with how mods interact with other mods and your game.
Same goes for Loot. At best this is useful as a "first pass" for sorting your loadorder. But It can't spot all possible loadorder related problems and shouldn't be a replacement for checking mods yourself and sorting them properly.

Try going to an interior cell somewhere. Then use the following console commands:
"setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 1"
"setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 1"
Wait 2 ingame hours. Then use the following to set those values back to their default:
"setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 240"
"setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 720"
Now use the console command "COC EldergleamSanctuaryExterior" and see if it still crashes. If that works, fast-travel to Ivarstead see if crashes if you walk to Eldeargleam. If it crashes on either, I'd go check Skyrim's RAM & VRAM usage.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Now use the console command "COC EldergleamSanctuaryExterior" and see if it still crashes. If that works, fast-travel to Ivarstead see if crashes if you walk to Eldeargleam. If it crashes on either, I'd go check Skyrim's RAM & VRAM usage.

It still crashes after that. It's always the same, a Windows error referring to a "Problem Event Name: BEX". VRAM usage might be it because it's pretty much always maxed out, but on the other hand, it's always been maxed out so far without problems and everything apart from the area around Eldergleam works fine.

I might be getting on track to a solution though. I loaded from the oldest save upwards, traveling to Eldergleam until I got to a save where things no longer work. I think I might've played for an hour or two with Immersive Music back then and it looks suspiciously much like the Eldergleam area stops working after I uninstalled Immersive Music. So I'm reinstalling that for a second and see whether it fixes things. I hate that uninstalling mods can cause problems for Skyrim, sometimes it just takes a bit more than a few minutes to figure out whether you do or don't like a mod.

Edit: Nope, that doesn't seem to be it either. Oh well, as long as it doesn't crash anywhere else I might keep playing, otherwise I'm also fine with the amount of hours I've been able to get already.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 3, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fleve posted:

I hate that uninstalling mods can cause problems for Skyrim, sometimes it just takes a bit more than a few minutes to figure out whether you do or don't like a mod.
To be fair: Uninstalling mods could also cause problems in the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine Oblivion & FO3 used.
Things like mesh, texture & sound replaces can be added and removed without problems. But always keep a back-up save if you're adding, updating or removing any mod more complex then that in an ongoing game.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Raygereio posted:

To be fair: Uninstalling mods could also cause problems in the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine Oblivion & FO3 used.
Things like mesh, texture & sound replaces can be added and removed without problems. But always keep a back-up save if you're adding, updating or removing any mod more complex then that in an ongoing game.

Yeah I think I remember that about a week ago I saw a load order list here and installed a few mods that looked interesting. Apart from Immersive Music I can't quite retrace my other steps. I do remember that it was just after I had to load an earlier save because Lakeview Manor had reset two containers and whisked away my items (the end tables are not safe), and it looks like Eldergleam becomes a no-go zone after about the same time.

Crashing solely around Eldergleam seems to come up a few times on the Nexus forums too though, so perhaps it's just something around there that messes things up. The afflicted area seems pretty small and every other location surrounding it still works. I'll probably just continue until whatever CTD-disease brewing around Eldergleam decides to spread elsewhere.

Edit: Really strangely small. Just south of Cronvangr Cave gives the error, Bonestrewn Crest is fine but I can't go too far to the west, the bathing people south-west of Eldergleam are fine but I can't cross their little lake, the Broken Limb Camp is fine but I can't go east of them. I looked at that area in an old save, there's nothing of interest there.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 3, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Squeegy posted:

"Skyrim belongs to the Nerds!"?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Squeegy posted:

SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE MODDERS!!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Squeegy posted:

I assume that's a quote from the game, what's it from?
It's from Harry Potter, actually.

Squeegy posted:

God dammit. It's good. t:mad:t

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Agents are GO! posted:

"Skyrim belongs to the Nerds!"?

this is pretty good honestly

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Spent 3 hours yesterday setting up mods on my new SSD (forgot to copy the installation over). Maybe some day I can also find the time to finish this goddamn game :suicide:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm slowly chugging away on a new OP, it might be A week or two.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm slowly chugging away on a new OP, it might be A week or two.

I appreciate your efforts.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So I'm wanting to try dyndolod. If I want to use the lods but not the scripting part I just follow the instructions but not use the ESP? I'm confused on this point.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

CFox posted:

So I'm wanting to try dyndolod. If I want to use the lods but not the scripting part I just follow the instructions but not use the ESP? I'm confused on this point.

You have to use the .esp, it's what adds the new LOD into the actual game.

When you run the program to generate it, it will give you the option of enabling the scripts or not.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
DynDoLOD just got an update that tries to reduce the amount of strings to fight the overflow error, but I haven't gotten a chance to test it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ETPC: When you get a chance to try it, give us a rundown. Ill use your info in the OP I'm working on, which is actually shaping up to be like 2-3 posts long. :smithicide:

Im still creaking along on the OP for a new thread.

Edit: Here's a little preview. Im trying to straddle the line between amusing and helpful...

Which mod manager is right for me? posted:

The writeup for Falskaar posted:

Falskaar, by Alexander J. Velicky: Alexander J. Velicky's mod, Falskaar by Alexander J. Velicky, is a pretty massive mod. In Falskaar by Alexander J. Velicky, Alexander J. Velicky has added a massive new island, and Falskaar by Alexander J. Velicky apparently took Alexander J. Velicky 18 months of solo work to complete, and apparently got Alexander J. Velicky hired at Bungie. Falskaar by Alexander J. Velicky is a very technically adept mod, but with all due respect to Alexander J. Velicky, I found Falskaar by Alexander J. Velicky to be rather boring, to the point that I've started it several times and have yet to finish it. (Alexander J. Velicky)

(I find it obnoxious how often Alexander J. Velicky has been making sure we know his name is Alexander J. Velicky.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 7, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just be careful you don't end up writing something that sounds like one of those ~wacky and oh-so-quirky~ mod FAQs :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Good advice, but honestly that's probably the quirkiest thing I've written. But I will keep that in mind. I'm just trying to keep from having a dry, boring style and to keep from the previous OPs "Well here's a thing. Is it good? Read the 400+ pages of the thread to find out!"

Here's a more typical example:

Alternate Start Mods posted:

Alternate Start - Live Another Life ("LAL") or Unbound: Two different Alternate Start mods. LAL is a bit more pretentious, but has more options, while Unbound is bare-bones but a bit more configurable. I prefer LAL but have used both. Just use something to skip that loving cart ride.

Edit I've tried to stick to mods I've used which is why I didn't include other alternate start mods.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the style/tone you're going for.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Anything good released in the last 6 months? hosed my hard drive a week ago and now ready to get into the S&M relationship with the Nexus again.

fake e: last time I got a good mod it was Mazz's end, which was fuckin' baller btw.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nymix posted:

Anything good released in the last 6 months? hosed my hard drive a week ago and now ready to get into the S&M relationship with the Nexus again.

fake e: last time I got a good mod it was Mazz's end, which was fuckin' baller btw.

Antrim Modding: Managing mods in 2016 is still like S&M

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I can't find a mod that douses all the lit torches and braziers in dungeons while also letting you light them with a torch/fire spell/whatever. Is it super unfeasible?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds feasible. You should make it!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Screams eeeEEE posted:

I can't find a mod that douses all the lit torches and braziers in dungeons while also letting you light them with a torch/fire spell/whatever. Is it super unfeasible?

I briefly thought about making a mod like that some years ago but :effort:

Too drat much work going through all the light sources. Totally dark caves and dungeons would be awesome though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Totally dark caves? Well, just get any of the "realistic" lighting mods that change interiors. Who cares if you can't see poo poo during day or night because it's "real"?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's unfeasible. Seriously looked at doing something like that and there are too many light sources in the middle of no where and to many braziers that you can't script light sources or near.

I don't remember the limitation specifically but something to the affect of static objects vs activators, you can't reference statics in a script dynamically or something. At least not at the time.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also did there new Frostfall et al updates ever come out?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I've seen the mods that remove ALL of the lights in a dungeon, and also the mod that lets you douse/ignite light sources with arrows or some poo poo. Someone just needs to figure out how to combine the two so I don't have to :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70454/
Apparently this mod not only removes lights to an adjustable degree (so if you don't want them ALL gone you have options) it also gives you a spell to relight some things. I was tracking it but haven't tried it out yet because I didn't want to throw it on midway, so I have no idea how well it works.

e: not sure if the relighting spell is listed in the description, but the mod guy mentioned it in a post

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I just started a fresh install of Skyrim after upgrading my computer. I'm using Mod Organizer, put a bunch of mods in, checked my load order, etc etc. When I run Skyrim through it, none of my mods load. When I check the data files on the Skyrim launch screen, all it shows are the three DLCs. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Trip report - finished Rigmor of Bruma and had a good time minus a very awkward sex scene and super choppy gameplay during the war at the end. I'm not sure if it was just me or if that battle is universally bad - I couldn' t even fight. It was like .5 frames per second. I read that the dev used every npc he could without crashing the game (I still crashed). I am also not a fan of the super overpowered items given in the mod, but that might be that I played at lvl 50+ vs starting fresh as recommended.

Anyway, I hope to find more poo poo covered gems to play through.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

YggiDee posted:

So I just started a fresh install of Skyrim after upgrading my computer. I'm using Mod Organizer, put a bunch of mods in, checked my load order, etc etc. When I run Skyrim through it, none of my mods load. When I check the data files on the Skyrim launch screen, all it shows are the three DLCs. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

MO should be just launching Skyrim not the official Skyrim launcher.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm activating SKSE through Mod Organizer, but evidently it isn't working?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Uh oh. I tried frostfall on a new game. Somehow the authors thought I needed a 12 part perk tree for loving making fires and I also managed to get hypothermia during the tutorial cart sequence & character creation.

"An immersion mod should never get in the way of having fun.", right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nymix posted:

Big update to Legacy of the Dragonborn. It's still my favourite mod because instead of trying to fix Skyrim's many shortcomings, it runs with Skyrim's considerable strengths instead and just makes them better.

• Locked thread