Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This is starting to bleed into real life, I passed a "Shadowdale Road" on the way into work this morning. I tried to slow down to get a picture but it was not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I just started a Siege of Dragonspear game as a bard and I've noticed several dialogue trees in which CHARNAME offers to sing some sort of song. Is that a general option or is it unique to bards? It's a pretty cool little touch if it's the latter.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Comstar posted:

That's all said by everyone in a high pitched Gnomes voice. And that Hill Giant is the guy next to the sunken house south of Berghost. Who is not a hill giant. He IS mad though, but, err...what?
You are now in a position where you can accurately judge whether you like Glint or not.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also, while Corwin is great and goblin-lady is okay, the other two companions are pretty annoying. But I won't hold that against it since the originals had Tiax and Garrick and Xan and Jan and...
Tiax rules.

Apart from that, :agreed:.
Except for that part about the goblin NPC, the game kinda didn't spawn her for me, as I found out yesterday. :v:

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm really getting fed up with Icewind Dale. It throws ludicrous numbers of enemies at me and refuses to hand out any good CC spells. I can't keep enemies contained by my tanks, they just spill around into my backline and there's nothing I can do, and the enemies in the Severed Hand cheat by appearing out of nowhere. And of course they're ghosts so they're immune to confusion.
IWD likes throwing armies of enemies at you, but you get a lot of good summon and buff spells in this game, so you can bring your own army.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

deadking posted:

I just started a Siege of Dragonspear game as a bard and I've noticed several dialogue trees in which CHARNAME offers to sing some sort of song. Is that a general option or is it unique to bards? It's a pretty cool little touch if it's the latter.

I started a game and randomly chose a blade bard too. Noticing a lot of Bard specific interactions. And a lot more (well, more than BG1 and 2) party member specific interactions. The shaman companion has a lot of specific interactions with spirits go figure.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Except for that part about the goblin NPC, the game kinda didn't spawn her for me, as I found out yesterday. :v:

That's quite the weird bug. I haven't run into any yet myself, but having no mods to break poo poo helps. That said I had some custom scripts that were borked before the update and are still borked now, they all show up as random lines of dialogue in the custom script menus. Doesn't actually seem to matter since the regular scripts work fine and the 2.0 patch added some nice general options that do me fine though.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Wow. I popped my head into the Beamdog forums to see if I could get some up to date info on mod compatibility and instead I find a bunch of grousing about a minor, minor npc who happens to be transgendered. Why are dnd nerds consistently the worst.

:negative:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

IWD likes throwing armies of enemies at you, but you get a lot of good summon and buff spells in this game, so you can bring your own army.
I'll try again later. I just defeated Demogorgon in BG2 and had an easier time of it than many ordinary encounters in IWD.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
It's been 15 years or however long it's been since IWD released, but I remember casting Web and Entangle a LOT. Those and the druid spell Spike Growth (? something like that) could take down a lot of things before they can even get to you.

Also I think I still get irrationally angry thinking about Bombardier Beetles.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Woolie Wool posted:

I'll try again later. I just defeated Demogorgon in BG2 and had an easier time of it than many ordinary encounters in IWD.

Yeah, IWD is pretty great.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Just started replaying my BG:EE save after hearing about the upgrades, and I am annoyed my killing of Drizzt did *not* merit an achievement :haw:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hahaha there's literally a line where Minsc says "its actually about ethics in heroic adventuring" I'm dying, I'm dead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Woolie Wool posted:

Get your thief's "lay traps" skill at least over 50, the you can lay 6-7 traps in one area at a time. When you walk into a hard area, keep reloading, resting, trap laying, saving, reloading, etc, then trigger the encounter again. It's tedious but can make some fights way less frustrating.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pwnstar posted:

Hahaha there's literally a line where Minsc says "its actually about ethics in heroic adventuring" I'm dying, I'm dead.

I just got to a part where Minsc gives a pep talk to a goblin, and I think I got a little dust in my eye.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I really need to pick this up. I didn't know Amber Scott was one of the writers, she wrote one of my favourite Pathfinder adventures with a rad lesbian trans couple in it.

JustJeff88 posted:

If there is, I would like to know as well. If I can throw in a suggestion, Ed Greenwood wrote a novel called "Spellfire" that was quite good. Elminster is of course the benevolent father figure self-insert who the ladies adore (this is the novel where he first ends up romantically involved with the Simbul), but there is a lot of adventure with genuinely good characterisation and real human motivations. This was the first book in an eventual trilogy where, sadly, the second book was not nearly as good and the third was outright horrible.

I started a Forgotten Realms thread in Trad Games once, but there just wasn't quite enough interest to keep it going. And yes, Spellfire is good, but Ed has gone on record about the issues he had writing it and how it's not a great introduction to the Realms for those reasons. He saw the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy as a way to write a proper introduction to the Realms, and I think he nailed it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

You get web and entangle and grease at the least, you can control a lot of dudes with those spells and then drop fireballs or whatever.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arivia posted:

I really need to pick this up. I didn't know Amber Scott was one of the writers, she wrote one of my favourite Pathfinder adventures with a rad lesbian trans couple in it.

I started a Forgotten Realms thread in Trad Games once, but there just wasn't quite enough interest to keep it going. And yes, Spellfire is good, but Ed has gone on record about the issues he had writing it and how it's not a great introduction to the Realms for those reasons. He saw the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy as a way to write a proper introduction to the Realms, and I think he nailed it.

Are there any good DND novels about spellcasters? I tried reading the new(ish) drow series and it was just garbage. Literally entire chapters of combat scenarios tediously describing each swing of the sword or lobbing of fireballs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Washout posted:

Are there any good DND novels about spellcasters? I tried reading the new(ish) drow series and it was just garbage. Literally entire chapters of combat scenarios tediously describing each swing of the sword or lobbing of fireballs.

In the Forgotten Realms, anything to do with Elminster is an obvious go to. (The main criticism about El is that there's too MUCH magic in his books.) I'd start with the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, there's plenty of spellcasters' perspectives in there. If you want to specifically read about Elminster, start with the short story "Elminster at the Magefair" which is in Realms of Magic or whichever Best of the Realms collection is dedicated to Ed Greenwood. (I can't remember if it's volume 1 or 2) You want to read this first because it's a good story that shows off how magic works in the Realms and the kinds of stories that are told about it.

After that, just start reading Elminster novels, starting with Elminster: the Making of a Mage and then continue on from there. Most of the books in that series flow into each other, although Elminster's Daughter largely follows from the Cormyr trilogy as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are there any non-meta plot FR novels? Like, just some folks go into a cave in the woods, stuff happens, lessons learned, type of books? I think that is why I liked the Azure Bond books so much, they were more.....down to earth? That's not he wright words but something like that. I am of the mind that AD&D was best around levels 5-12 and I want some bedtime reading on that vein.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Are there any non-meta plot FR novels? Like, just some folks go into a cave in the woods, stuff happens, lessons learned, type of books? I think that is why I liked the Azure Bond books so much, they were more.....down to earth? That's not he wright words but something like that. I am of the mind that AD&D was best around levels 5-12 and I want some bedtime reading on that vein.

There are a lot of one off smaller stories. I'd suggest looking up The City of Ravens by Richard Baker.

I'd also actually suggest avoiding any and all books by Ed Greenwood even though he created the setting as he's one of their worst novelists. I much prefer Paul Kemp or Richard Baker. Kemp's Erevis Cale books become epic in scope but they're quite good and have everything from roguery to shadow magic to psionics pop up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bongwizzard posted:

Venom in Her Veins seems like that. Main character is a Yuan Ti Pureblood raised thinking she was human then adventure happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bongwizzard posted:

I love that Azure Bonds came up with a legitimate plot reason for the ridiculous boob armor on the cover of the book.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that part, what was it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bongwizzard posted:

I don't remember that part, what was it?

Towards the end she's going to be sacrificed by the bad guys in some dark ritual, so it makes sense they dressed her in armor with a giant hole in chest that would be easy to plunge a sword through. She never wears it when she's off adventuring. I'm halfway convinced the author added that bit after seeing the cover.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
IMHO it makes more sense to not armor your sacrificial victim at all, but I dropped out of my evil cult when the meetings conflicted with bowling night.

And the real point of that armor was to sell books to nerds I suspect, running an evil cult isn't cheap.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

There are a lot of one off smaller stories. I'd suggest looking up The City of Ravens by Richard Baker.

I'd also actually suggest avoiding any and all books by Ed Greenwood even though he created the setting as he's one of their worst novelists. I much prefer Paul Kemp or Richard Baker. Kemp's Erevis Cale books become epic in scope but they're quite good and have everything from roguery to shadow magic to psionics pop up.

I'm curious as to why you think this. Ed's novels have always been pretty great, with tons of fun stuff in them.

bongwizzard posted:

This is the basic idea behind the Knights of Myth Drannor series. They actually tell the story of an adventuring company rising from being teens dreaming about being cooler in their podunk town to becoming actual heroes. The Knights do end up saving Cormyr by the end, but it flows naturally from their career as adventurers so far, instead of just being huge stakes for huge stakes' sake. Ed likes writing those kinds of stories more, but editorial keeps asking him for big plots that threaten all of Faerun and so on.

Additionally, the Knights are actually Ed's original gaming group, the "home campaign" of the Realms. So the trilogy predates what you'd think of as FR metaplot, and is thoroughly grounded in 1e AD&D play.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A member of the Gibberlings3 team has released an automated tool that will unpack the Steam/GoG version of Siege of Dragonspear: https://github.com/K4thos/UnzipSoD

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

This is the basic idea behind the Knights of Myth Drannor series. They actually tell the story of an adventuring company rising from being teens dreaming about being cooler in their podunk town to becoming actual heroes. The Knights do end up saving Cormyr by the end, but it flows naturally from their career as adventurers so far, instead of just being huge stakes for huge stakes' sake. Ed likes writing those kinds of stories more, but editorial keeps asking him for big plots that threaten all of Faerun and so on.

Additionally, the Knights are actually Ed's original gaming group, the "home campaign" of the Realms. So the trilogy predates what you'd think of as FR metaplot, and is thoroughly grounded in 1e AD&D play.

AngryBooch posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Venom in Her Veins seems like that. Main character is a Yuan Ti Pureblood raised thinking she was human then adventure happens.

Cool, thanks folks. I will have to hit eBay when I get home.

I finished Baldur's Gate, the Novel last night. The ending just.....happens. Like, the author counted up the pages he had written so far, realized the end was in sight, and wrote the last ten pages on the bus to the post office to mail the whole mess to his editor.

I would like to offer this fine book up to the first person to call dibs, on the condition you pass it on to someone else in the thread when you are done. I likely will not have time to mail it out until the week after next though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

bongwizzard posted:

I would like to offer this fine book up to the first person to call dibs, on the condition you pass it on to someone else in the thread when you are done. I likely will not have time to mail it out until the week after next though.

Ugh. Dibs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Ugh. Dibs.

PM me an address you poor soul.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
bounty hunter traps - do they keep the effects of the previous levels? If not the third upgrade (resilient sphere, save to negate) is garbage.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
They don't.

Insurrectionist posted:

That's quite the weird bug. I haven't run into any yet myself, but having no mods to break poo poo helps. That said I had some custom scripts that were borked before the update and are still borked now, they all show up as random lines of dialogue in the custom script menus. Doesn't actually seem to matter since the regular scripts work fine and the 2.0 patch added some nice general options that do me fine though.
Yeah, I don't know. I found out about it when I went to the Beamdog forums to see if anyone had posted her location, so there's at least one other guy who got that bug. If she's actually created by a trigger it's something I can easily see happening. Either way, I probably wouldn't have used her this playthrough, so whatever; a quest breaking would have been worse.

insanityv2 posted:

Wow. I popped my head into the Beamdog forums to see if I could get some up to date info on mod compatibility and instead I find a bunch of grousing about a minor, minor npc who happens to be transgendered. Why are dnd nerds consistently the worst.

:negative:
Not surprised by this, but ffs she's really...just kinda there. I mean, clearly there must be more overt attacks against the sacred culture of gaming committed by the SJW conspiracy for these people to be pissed about?

e: Nice word filter. :haw:

Karmalaa70 posted:

It's been 15 years or however long it's been since IWD released, but I remember casting Web and Entangle a LOT. Those and the druid spell Spike Growth (? something like that) could take down a lot of things before they can even get to you.
Well, you can pickpocket two Rings of Free Action. I abused that a lot during my first playthrough.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2016

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, you can pickpocket two Rings of Free Action. I abused that a lot during my first playthrough.

Yeah I found about those two rings when I read a walkthrough after finishing my run. Would have helped a lot but there's no way I'd have known about them going in spoiler free.

And..the Beamdog forums. Jesus Christ. I'm thinking those are people who just don't like the company and they are using this moral outrage for a very minor NPC as a way to vent. At least I hope there's not that many people so thin-skinned they lose their poo poo over something so meaningless.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bongwizzard posted:

Cool, thanks folks. I will have to hit eBay when I get home.

I finished Baldur's Gate, the Novel last night. The ending just.....happens. Like, the author counted up the pages he had written so far, realized the end was in sight, and wrote the last ten pages on the bus to the post office to mail the whole mess to his editor.

give us the sordid deets

iirc, the novel ends on the line "abdel leaned on his sword until sarevok was dead" or something like that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
jesus this loving dig site. are you meant to do the crypt area this early? i heard you can't go back to areas once you move on, is this true or are they talking about something else? so many undead. so many. on the plus side all my imported potions and poo poo i was thinking might overpower the game are finally coming in handy. im either really rusty or here way too early, it's the last time i have left to do on this map. poo poo feels harder than SCS was in bg1.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'm curious as to why you think this. Ed's novels have always been pretty great, with tons of fun stuff in them.

I just always felt Greenwood's pacing was off and his prose was hard to follow sometimes. He has a tendency to go at breakneck speed sometimes, which leaves the stories feeling disjointed and little more than timeline recitations as he glosses over motivations and characters. (I especially feel this way about the Shadow of the Avatar books along with Making of a Mage) And, I generally do not like the characters he creates. I haven't read the Knights of Myth Drannor series. The Cormyr books were alright although they too have some of those timeline recitation issues.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Vikar Jerome posted:

jesus this loving dig site. are you meant to do the crypt area this early? i heard you can't go back to areas once you move on, is this true or are they talking about something else? so many undead. so many. on the plus side all my imported potions and poo poo i was thinking might overpower the game are finally coming in handy. im either really rusty or here way too early, it's the last time i have left to do on this map. poo poo feels harder than SCS was in bg1.
You can't go back to earlier areas. Each chapter has its set of maps you can visit and once you move the story forward that's it.

I solved a lot early on by just making Minsc, who thankfully still had Spider's Bane, immune to fire and just spamming Web and Fireball while he drew entire packs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I know most folks here won't endorse Salvatore's work, but if you haven't read the Sellsword Trilogy, you should. The Cleric Quintet is also quite a good read.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

give us the sordid deets

iirc, the novel ends on the line "abdel leaned on his sword until sarevok was dead" or something like that.

It does.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Sooo, uh, SoD is good then, and all the extremely negative reviews are just manchildren throwing a collective tantrum about whatever they imagine social justice to be? Good to know. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rollersnake posted:

Sooo, uh, SoD is good then, and all the extremely negative reviews are just manchildren throwing a collective tantrum about whatever they imagine social justice to be? Good to know. :stonk:

I'm very pleased so far with SoD. It was well worth my money and I'm considering getting the collectors edition.