Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Thanks. Apparently I did watch it, but don't remember it at all!

By the way, I've asked this in a BSS thread, and it's somewhat related, but I just watched the newest DCAU film Justice League VS. Teen Titans and Green Lantern is conspicuously absent considering he's been in the other New 52 DCAU films iirc. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy crap this was actually a genuinely good episode. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Invalid Validation posted:

I don't have any context to savage in comic form, but the character was real good in that batman animated movie based on the Tower of Babel story. He's a huge chump in this show.

Thanks for reminding me of this. Though imo, Savage was just as flat in Doom as he is on Legends (More, actually.) I still rewatched it and really enjoyed it more than recent DCAU movies.

I've always liked that "Batman contingency plan for the JLA" idea and totally forgot it's from Tower of Babel. Doom might be my favorite DCAU movie now except for maybe Return of The Joker. It's really, really good, as far as DCAU movies go.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Longbaugh01 posted:

Thanks. Apparently I did watch it, but don't remember it at all!

By the way, I've asked this in a BSS thread, and it's somewhat related, but I just watched the newest DCAU film Justice League VS. Teen Titans and Green Lantern is conspicuously absent considering he's been in the other New 52 DCAU films iirc. What gives?

Based on what I've heard from WB people interviews, GL is like mutants for Marvel, don't use them unless you 100% absolutely have to. I think they're worried that they're still carrying baggage from the movie. Which is stupid because no one remembers it.

I realized they probably had a big plotpoint in 1958 because that was the birth of the Silver Age, which makes me wonder if the other dates they go to have comic publishing significance.

So was Chronos always modulated Rory voice?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Based on what I've heard from WB people interviews, GL is like mutants for Marvel, don't use them unless you 100% absolutely have to. I think they're worried that they're still carrying baggage from the movie. Which is stupid because no one remembers it.

I realized they probably had a big plotpoint in 1958 because that was the birth of the Silver Age, which makes me wonder if the other dates they go to have comic publishing significance.

1986 was the start of the post crisis timeline

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

1986 was the start of the post crisis timeline

I forgot that the Russia episodes were set then, so yea, I'm curious what the 70s one was. Maybe when Flash went from Barry to Wally?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I forgot that the Russia episodes were set then, so yea, I'm curious what the 70s one was. Maybe when Flash went from Barry to Wally?

Barry died in 1986

Firestorm was created in 1978 and they released Superman vs Muhammad Ali.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Barry died in 1986

Firestorm was created in 1978 and they released Superman vs Muhammad Ali.

Well, we know which one they were referencing there; Superman vs Muhammad Ali is a classic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Looking it up the years mean nothing as they were in
Well, we know which one they were referencing there; Superman vs Muhammad Ali is a classic.

Looking it up the years mean nothing as they were in 1975 not 1978, and the silver age starter in 1956

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Looking it up the years mean nothing as they were in 1975 not 1978, and the silver age starter in 1956

AH crap, there goes that theory. That would have been to clever for the Arrowverse writers, no way to work awkward relationship drama in.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

twistedmentat posted:

DC's film division has been really superstitious for years, trying to cargo cult Marvel's success without understanding it while simultaneously making everything into The Dark Knight. Green Lantern was their last attempt at something different, and its failure was what created their Nolan-style "no joy, ever" policy.

That only just changed when Deadpool made money, and they decided they needed to spend a lot of money reshooting Suicide Squad to make it a hard R comedy. I'm sure changing the entire tone of the movie four months before release will work out great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure Chronos never talked before last week's episode.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Practical Demon posted:

DC's film division has been really superstitious for years, trying to cargo cult Marvel's success without understanding it while simultaneously making everything into The Dark Knight. Green Lantern was their last attempt at something different, and its failure was what created their Nolan-style "no joy, ever" policy.

That only just changed when Deadpool made money, and they decided they needed to spend a lot of money reshooting Suicide Squad to make it a hard R comedy. I'm sure changing the entire tone of the movie four months before release will work out great.

None of this is correct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Practical Demon posted:

The Suicide Squad "reshoots" are scheduled pick-ups and Smith and Robbie are confirmed to be already filming new projects and not a part of it. Try paying attention to this thread as this has all been debunked 17 or 18 times now.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

twistedmentat posted:

The problem with the GL corp as I see it is that the ring users are only limited by their imagination but end up just shooting blasts of green energy due to poor writing or cheap sfx.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

This sort of makes sense except I'm pretty sure the New 52 movies with GL in them came out after the GL live-action movie.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure Chronos never talked before last week's episode.

He talked during the pilot at least, when he shoots the two stoners who were where the Waverider had just taken off from. They ask what he's doing and he says he's making sure that they're not temporally significant before he kills them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Longbaugh01 posted:

This sort of makes sense except I'm pretty sure the New 52 movies with GL in them came out after the GL live-action movie.
No one cares about their animated movies though.

Unless they're DKR or something. Otherwise it's just more of that Direct to Video shovelware that occasionally nets you something decent.

But consider how GL was conspicuously absent from their JL world building in BvS...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mrking posted:

The problem with the GL corp as I see it is that the ring users are only limited by their imagination but end up just shooting blasts of green energy due to poor writing or cheap sfx.

IMHO GL tech kinda works on the printed page, but probably elicits the same reaction cinematically as when Marshal Law went up against the Jesus League of America's zombified Blue Battery.

Edit: moviegoers will likely come to the same conclusion

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 4, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

No one cares about their animated movies though.

Unless they're DKR or something. Otherwise it's just more of that Direct to Video shovelware that occasionally nets you something decent.

But consider how GL was conspicuously absent from their JL world building in BvS...

They have straight up said that we won't see anything from any Gl related stuff until earliest after the Justice League movie. Though in the same interview the exec said they are aware that they need to expand beyond Batman movies.

But yea, it's hard to do the constructs in a way that looks good, and you can't just do energy blasts and shields because that is just lame. It's just weird, it would be like if Marvel didn't do Thor. A huge and popular part of the universe is gone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

It's just weird, it would be like if Marvel didn't do Thor. A huge and popular part of the universe is gone.
On the other hand, Marvel took Daredevil and shipped it off to Streaming Netflixland instead of trying him to a new Spiderboot.

And no one ever talks about Ghostrider anymore. So it's not without precedent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

On the other hand, Marvel took Daredevil and shipped it off to Streaming Netflixland instead of trying him to a new Spiderboot.

And no one ever talks about Ghostrider anymore. So it's not without precedent.

Yea, but GL is one of the bigger heroes outside of the trinity. Ghostrider is like leaving out Red Robin.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mrking posted:

People always say this, but really, what are they supposed to make? If you want to fight a supervillain, blasting them in the face with the strongest laser you have seems like a pretty good strategy. Like, I guess you COULD make a giant hammer to hit them with, but is it really going to hurt them more than your giant green energy blast, the one that seems to get stronger and stronger the more angry/focused/determined you are?

Likewise, if he's about to hit you, throwing up a generic green shield is the easiest way to protect yourself, even if it's not as cool-looking as conjuring up a suit of green medieval armor. Since both would be fueled by the same willpower, it's not likely that the fancy construct is going to be any stronger than a plain green shield bubble.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

People always say this, but really, what are they supposed to make? If you want to fight a supervillain, blasting them in the face with the strongest laser you have seems like a pretty good strategy. Like, I guess you COULD make a giant hammer to hit them with, but is it really going to hurt them more than your giant green energy blast, the one that seems to get stronger and stronger the more angry/focused/determined you are?

Likewise, if he's about to hit you, throwing up a generic green shield is the easiest way to protect yourself, even if it's not as cool-looking as conjuring up a suit of green medieval armor. Since both would be fueled by the same willpower, it's not likely that the fancy construct is going to be any stronger than a plain green shield bubble.

Blah blah blah strength of construct based on thought involved something something willpower. There's an in-universe justification for making more complicated constructs, but I don't remember what it was.

Sfx is a big limiting factor though, especially with how much constructs are used. Animated is more or less the most expedient option.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its also hard to make them not look stupid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Practical Demon posted:

They aren't doing that, that's a dumb rumor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

They aren't doing that, that's a dumb rumor.

It keeps people talking about Suicide Squad though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Suicide Squid is the worst Aquaman villain.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Suicide Squid was the worst Aquaman villain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Is. That's why he's the worst.

mrking
May 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I don't know about any in-universe explanations since I never read any Green Lantern anything, but TV and Movies are a visual medium so if you use boring visuals you are doing your viewers a disservice. Despite it's flaws I actually kinda liked the Ryan Reynolds GL movie and it had some of both types of lanterning. There's that scene where a helicopter is crashing and he makes a little racetrack and a set of wheels for the helicopter to save the partygoers that is a good example of creative use of the power. There's not that much difference between making a green cannon that shoots green beams and shooting green beams from your fists except how the director presents it and how the SFX guys make it real. Now imagine a ring of green cannons surrounding the enemy and they all shoot cannonballs that explode with green energy and form a sort of net or cage around the target when they all hit at the same time to contain the target. Its visually a little more interesting than our hero throwing a punch and a beam coming out his ring, but has the same kind of end effect.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Whoa, I didn't mean to start a Green Lantern thread inside a thread.

But , isn't there some comic justification that Hal's constructs are rather boring compared to John and Kyle's because John was/is an architect and Kyle was/is an artist?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

But , isn't there some comic justification that Hal's constructs are rather boring compared to John and Kyle's because John was/is an architect and Kyle was/is an artist?

That's from JLU. In the comics, John's are super detailed because he was an architect so every nut and bolt is formed (at least that's his current status now). They're still not so creative. Hal is the one with boring constructs iirc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

That's from JLU. In the comics, John's are super detailed because he was an architect so every nut and bolt is formed (at least that's his current status now). They're still not so creative. Hal is the one with boring constructs iirc.

He can make hot wheels tracks!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bobkatt013 posted:

He can make hot wheels tracks!

I hope you mean John and not Hal because Hot Wheels tracks don't involve giant green fists

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I hope you mean John and not Hal because Hot Wheels tracks don't involve giant green fists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f--eGbzB0WE

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Chokes McGee posted:

This is because Ollie & Hal were both big boxing fans.

mrking
May 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I didn't mean to type so many :words: either. It does make sense that boring people would make boring things though.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Goddamn, I forgot how sharp that steaming pile of poo poo smelt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That chopper took way too long to crash.

• Locked thread