Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Clairetic posted:

I was in a group yesterday for Copperbell Mines (everyone synced down to 19) with 2 arcanists and myself, as a conjurer. The tank insisted on doing 'big pulls' even though we only had Blizzard 2 (which one of the arcanists didn't have either) and Flash for AoE damage/threat. It wasn't a big deal but it seemed like a waste of effort since my personal dps was subsumed by healing him and we weren't really killing things faster than if we pulled them individually.

Some tanks get really into the bug pull mindset, just because they can. I've been in under 30 groups as tank, sch, nin, drg where the tank went big pull crazy. I mean, we were fine, but it was probably slower because I had less dps time, and everyone but the tank was basically single target anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

isk posted:

-Always ensure there's room to attack the back & flanks
-Ask/communicate before big pulls
-Generally lead with DPS cooldowns on bosses so the DDs can use theirs right away
-Keep an eye out on party TP and mana, especially before bosses or big pulls

Beyond that, positionally set up your healers/casters for success. Don't tank mobs with AoEs/breaths/cleaves near them. Things like that.

The positioning check happens when the ability is activated.

I think I'm doing most of this. I feel like my TP is always the lowest after a fight (playing Warrior, happened with Marauder too) so I usually wait for TP to regen anyways.

hobbesmaster posted:

The bitching is about blowing cooldowns on a tank just before a pull and then the tank not pulling. Basically if you see eye for an eye or a card cast on you the healer is expecting you to pull in a few seconds. Don't worry about it too much, your job is to not get people killed.

Fortunately the healer is almost always a friend of mine, so communication is always happening. I honestly didn't think I would like tanking, but it's really fun and I don't know why.

Thank you both!

Cythereal posted:

I'm sorry, I was rude. I was expecting a more detailed overview of the game's story and mechanics, but now that I've played around some I've realized that that's unimportant. Got an archer up to level 9, and a couple other classes up to 5 or so, and I think I've seen enough to satisfy my interest in the free trial. Aside from the game's punishingly slow start, the game felt like pretty normal MMO fare - more story-heavy than WoW, less so than TOR, and with a JRPG coat of paint slapped over everything. I'll definitely keep it in mind if and when I unsub from my current MMO.

As it is, the pirate city is far and away my favorite of the three starting cities.

The story is really good, especially for an MMO, though I only have Guild Wars 2 to compare against. I suggest taking a class all the way to 20 or to the end of the Main Story Quests that are available to you in the trial. That'll take you up to your first dungeon and give you a feel for what those are like in this game. Your free trial character only lasts for 90 days after the trial ends if you don't buy the game, by the way.

Also yes Limsa Lominsa is definitely the best starting city. Have you met Merlwyb? She is the best :allears:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Limsa's lighthouse at night makes it the most Final Fantasy-y of cities, IMO. I really should join the Maelstrom at some point, but I may as well get the really nice Serpent barding for my birb first. I like Ul'Dah a lot because it feels more like an actual city, that's laid out in a fairly straightforward manner and also it reminds me of FFXII, but Limsa's really nice and I wish I had started there and not in Gridania. I started as a Lancer, but ended up finding out Conjurer was a lot of fun, so it wasn't a total loss.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've had tanks do big pulls in Sastasha, with a party composition that meant literally the only AOE damage we had was Overpower.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I've been levelling a paladin slowly. I decided to go with it as my tanking job just before 3.2. Really, it wasn't so hard to hold hate as I thought it would be. I've only been using dungeon drops and GC gear and I do okay. It got way easier once I got Rage of Halone. I'd flash twice and start laying out my full combo and things generally went super smoothly.

But then I turned level 40 today and tried out Shield Oath and it's a joke. I feel like I could flash twice and go afk and things would be fine. The fact that my DPS was absolutely atrocious didn't help. Kind of felt like I may as well not be there. I almost never see paladins tanking in sword oath, but how crazy an idea is it? I wish the oaths didn't take a lot of MP and were OGCD. I think it'd make the job way more fun.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Leofish posted:

Limsa's lighthouse at night makes it the most Final Fantasy-y of cities, IMO. I really should join the Maelstrom at some point, but I may as well get the really nice Serpent barding for my birb first. I like Ul'Dah a lot because it feels more like an actual city, that's laid out in a fairly straightforward manner and also it reminds me of FFXII, but Limsa's really nice and I wish I had started there and not in Gridania. I started as a Lancer, but ended up finding out Conjurer was a lot of fun, so it wasn't a total loss.

You can't use the GC bardings unless you're in the respective GC. I think the same applies to their warsteeds.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

ruta posted:

I've been levelling a paladin slowly. I decided to go with it as my tanking job just before 3.2. Really, it wasn't so hard to hold hate as I thought it would be. I've only been using dungeon drops and GC gear and I do okay. It got way easier once I got Rage of Halone. I'd flash twice and start laying out my full combo and things generally went super smoothly.

But then I turned level 40 today and tried out Shield Oath and it's a joke. I feel like I could flash twice and go afk and things would be fine. The fact that my DPS was absolutely atrocious didn't help. Kind of felt like I may as well not be there. I almost never see paladins tanking in sword oath, but how crazy an idea is it? I wish the oaths didn't take a lot of MP and were OGCD. I think it'd make the job way more fun.

I tank in sword oath all the time when I am fighting a boss. Shield is nice for large groups mostly for the damage reduction, so your healer can AOE more. If you are managing your cooldowns and don't have to worry about a tank buster, go for it. Make sure you pop Fight or Flight before you pull/between a shield lob and fast blade, so you can get some upfront agro.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ruta posted:

To echo what Tenik said, both my LLDR trips on PLD this weekend were Stone Vigil. I basically went shield for all the mobs, and Sword for the bosses after doing a shield toss and enmity combo, and had no trouble keeping aggro or staying alive.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm trying to find my way from the boat town to the forest city for some quest called "the call of the forest". But I'm struggling with using the map to plot my path on ps4. Does anyone know or a easy to use map or is there's some easier way to use it on ps4? I can't tell which areas lead to where, or piece together how one area flows to another.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You are supposed to take the airship there. If you enter the building to the east of the main aether crystal, you can take an elevator up to the airship landing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

You can't use the GC bardings unless you're in the respective GC. I think the same applies to their warsteeds.

Don't you get a title for getting all three though? I think I only need one more promotion to be able to buy the 8000 seal barding, so I may as well get it, free switch to Flames and get theirs and then settle on Storm with their cool red coats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm trying to find my way from the boat town to the forest city for some quest called "the call of the forest". But I'm struggling with using the map to plot my path on ps4. Does anyone know or a easy to use map or is there's some easier way to use it on ps4? I can't tell which areas lead to where, or piece together how one area flows to another.

Those two areas (The Black Shroud and La Noscea) aren't connected by map at all. You have to take the airship, teleport, or take the ferry to the mainland from Limsa and then walk through West Thanalan to Central, to East, to South Shroud and then to Central Shroud and finally to Gridania. Which you also can't do anyway yet, so take the airship.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
La Noscea is an island, so you'd have to take a ferry to get off it anyway. I don't think the game ever expects you to travel by foot at all though. If you need to get somewhere new, it's always one step away from somewhere you've already been and can teleport to.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Voices in 2.0 really suffered from the need to put on a thick Generick Fantasye Accente, to the point that Minfilia and Alphinaud largely failed to emote at all, but it's not nearly as bad now.

Although I still find it hard to mentally adjust to their decision to make Ala Mhigo into YorkshireTibet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clarste posted:

La Noscea is an island, so you'd have to take a ferry to get off it anyway. I don't think the game ever expects you to travel by foot at all though. If you need to get somewhere new, it's always one step away from somewhere you've already been and can teleport to.

On foot, not really. The distances between settlements in HW is pretty big, but by then you have between 2-12 mounts to pick from to reduce that travel time, more if you hit up the cash shop or spend a couple of months getting there.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Ha. Okay that makes a lot more sense. I knew I was missing something stupid simple. Thank you all!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solumin posted:

Also yes Limsa Lominsa is definitely the best starting city. Have you met Merlwyb? She is the best :allears:

I was sold on the city by the Marauder's guild NPCs, though I think if I ever do buy and play the game I'll likely play an arcanist since I enjoy healing in every other MMO I've played. I also thought the city in general was much prettier and more interesting than the other two - I've spent most of my time in Gridania trying an archer, and the place feels fairly generic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I was sold on the city by the Marauder's guild NPCs, though I think if I ever do buy and play the game I'll likely play an arcanist since I enjoy healing in every other MMO I've played. I also thought the city in general was much prettier and more interesting than the other two - I've spent most of my time in Gridania trying an archer, and the place feels fairly generic.

Do both! No reason you can't level multiple classes or roles. You might also find that you like the style of one class over another for a given role. You really can't lock yourself into anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It takes time though. You can't literally do both at once.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Had a bard in 50DR with right side healing/fending who single targeted everything on megapulls :barf:

Naturally the pubbies were confused when I asked about his gear and rejected my votekick

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I started in Ul'dah but I spend most of my time hanging in Idyllshire (current endgame town) or Limsa (has the smallest marketboard-to-aetheryte distance).

Clarste posted:

It takes time though. You can't literally do both at once.

It's also worth pointing out that gearing up alt classes is way easier if you play a decent amount; when I got my latest character to 60 I was instantly able to start doing all but the most cutting-edge endgame content on it.

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2016

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I have to get to the bottom of this. Why are there so many Bard's that never use Foe's pre boss pull? There's no downside to using it so why can't they be bothered with it?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dastardly posted:

I have to get to the bottom of this. Why are there so many Bard's that never use Foe's pre boss pull? There's no downside to using it so why can't they be bothered with it?

If they wait until after the pull to use it, they might be afraid of pulling with Foe's, which is definitely possible if you're standing too close. If they don't use it at all, they're just lazy or might be under the impression that it cuts their DPS like all other songs.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Leofish posted:

Don't you get a title for getting all three though? I think I only need one more promotion to be able to buy the 8000 seal barding, so I may as well get it, free switch to Flames and get theirs and then settle on Storm with their cool red coats.

I used to think this was the case as well, but you actually just need to buy each of the three varieties of barding in a single GC -- half-barding, regular(?) barding, and crested barding. Then you get to be Cavalier :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So my countpoint here is that I think you should definitely always assume pulls will be big unless you have a clear reason to believe you (or the healer, I suppose) are undergeared. Big pulls rock, small pulls are slow and suck.

Depends on your group. If my group is two dragoons I probably won't bother, but if it's a white mage, a black mage, and a summoner then hell yeah let it ride.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Always switch stances when tanking for maximum dps. Yes even as DRK if it's Haukke manor and you gotta go fast. I know I have traumatized at least one healer goon in DGKK by insisting Grit is for losers most of the time.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Honestly, with the amount of DPS tanks do now, it probably works out to more overall to stay in tanking stance outside of boss fights so the healer can spam Holy/Gravity more :v: If you have an Honest Healer though, by all means, go hog wild.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Honestly, with the amount of DPS tanks do now, it probably works out to more overall to stay in tanking stance outside of boss fights so the healer can spam Holy/Gravity more :v: If you have an Honest Healer though, by all means, go hog wild.

Why does this get bandied about so much? Tanks have a ton of health now, and only lost about 10% AP "off the top". It's actually easier to stay out of tank stance than it used to be.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I run into honest healers more often than not. Now that I'm done my poetic grind, I'll probably never queue trial roulette because I am sick and tired of DPSing while I watch some lazy healer do jack squat but cast an aoe heal every 20 seconds. It makes me far more angry than I know it rationally should, so I think it best I not do it.

But I guess that's a good way to decide if I should use sword or shield oath! Any healer unwilling to go into cleric stance will be given something to do via my HP dropping quickly! I will finally have my vengeance.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
365 lore until cap, think i won't make it this week ._.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Niton posted:

Why does this get bandied about so much? Tanks have a ton of health now, and only lost about 10% AP "off the top". It's actually easier to stay out of tank stance than it used to be.

The real problem I run into when I drop tank stance is holding hate.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

killstealing posted:

365 lore until cap, think i won't make it this week ._.
I believe in you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
4 hours of antitower or... not... It's gonna depend on when work ends!!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
One possible solution to RMT would be to make it so you can't use anything besides /say (and Novice Network) until level 21. Why? This forces the RMT advertisers to use a paid account. This means, with each account ban, they WILL lose money. This will unfortunately give them incentive to just steal an existent account, which means increased hacking incidents/sabotaged accounts. Further security precautions would be necessary for the user upon login to keep their accounts secure. There does currently exist security measures that take way too long to bruteforce and have a mathematical 1-way encryption, tho obviously account-sharing compromises that too.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

security measures that take way too long to bruteforce and have a mathematical 1-way encryption

Also known as "password hashing".

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Technogeek posted:

There does currently exist security measures that take way too long to bruteforce and have a mathematical 1-way encryption, tho obviously account-sharing compromises that too.

i'm sure Square-Enix is super interested in this revolutionary new technique of 'slow hash functions'.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Solovey posted:

I used to think this was the case as well, but you actually just need to buy each of the three varieties of barding in a single GC -- half-barding, regular(?) barding, and crested barding. Then you get to be Cavalier :v:

Oh really? Well in that case, I may as well wrap up my Serpent business now and then just switch!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Is it just me or did they really up the bloom? I don't remember it being this, uh... intense.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
How important is ping in this game? None of the servers are very close, so I would assume a 300ish ping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Very important. It is probably one of the most punishing non action combat MMOs in terms of latency. If you play with 300, expect to be hit by aoe attacks that you are clearly out of. I suppose it can depend on where you are playing from exactly but it can be pretty drat bad.

Edit: That doesn't meant we don't have people playing from all over the world but if you have any interest in doing end game stuff, you may have to be ready to shell out an extra 5-10 bucks for a service that will reduce ping.

Antaris fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread