Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

grimcreaper posted:

There's a few others I like but I can't of them off the top of my head....

prison architect p good imo

that ark dinosaur game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

coupedeville posted:

prison architect p good imo

that ark dinosaur game?

Needs a good code cleaning but it's not bad if you have friends.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

victrix posted:

EA/KS are fine, people are bad with money. Once they get burned enough they'll stop touching the fire. Or won't, I don't really care. My investments have produced a bunch of cool games for me, at criminally low prices. I'll accept occasionally funding a Starbound or overpaying for Banner Saga if it means I keep getting stuff like PoE, Grim Dawn, Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun, etc. I'm not sure Dungeonmans would exist without KS and it has one of my highest (by hours) counts of any roguelike in the last five years or so. And you don't need to invest in anything you don't trust, see if it comes out of the fire and profit off of my stupidity and/or gullibility.

In a weird way I've grown to love it every time someone says "it's an investment". You're putting money in and not getting money out, why do people keep telling themselves otherwise?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Good Dumplings posted:

In a weird way I've grown to love it every time someone says "it's an investment". You're putting money in and not getting money out, why do people keep telling themselves otherwise?
When I discover a way to convert my life's regrets into money I'm going to be a very rich man.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

Not that kind, the kind where you're investing in a venture that may or may not bear any fruit at all (or entirely rotten fruit)

fe: the principle is the same though, you're a dumbass if you invest in anything without doing some basic due diligence. Doesn't stop you from getting burned 100%, but it cuts out the obvious cons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Dumplings posted:

Well in the case of early access games the point is that you put money in and expect to get a good game later. Games need funding to happen and thanks to crowd funding things that may not otherwise get funding get to exist. I can't imagine investors ever pouring money into something like Dwarf Fortress but in that case enough people enjoy that brand of madness that people shower Toady in money to keep it going.

Sometimes we get good things. Other times we get Starbound.

Has Chucklefish ever actually delivered on some of the higher end Kickstarter tiers? I seem to remember them promising statues of the top tier donors or hats or whatever and I don't exactly see a lot of that. Novakids obviously happened but what about the rest? Is there a possible fraud case there? I'm not a lawyer but from what I'm seeing they're failing to deliver on some of the things they sold.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there a possible fraud case there?

There probably is, but it wouldn't even be worth it for the people who went in for ten large, short of a class action suit. Even then, they could hide behind a bunch of technicalities. "It's a possible combination." "It exists but nobody's found it yet." "You can't look at the code, it's proprietary." to name a few.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Good Dumplings posted:

man, I can't even imagine how upset they'd be if they lived in Puerto Rico and had been investing in bonds

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The White Dragon posted:

nobody does

even some people who have studied computer science extensively think that classes are extraneous and everything that can, should go in the main method. but they have better reasons than "i'm basically the equivalent of an outsider artist except with programming"

it's cool to just leeroy jenkins that poo poo brah, who cares about things like "good coding practices" :v:

Because I love a good opportunity to bring this up: Terraria stores (stored? not sure if it's still true currently) every single item in the game in a single monstrous if/else statement.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I forgot about that, that was an amazing discovery

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Wrist Watch posted:

Because I love a good opportunity to bring this up: Terraria stores (stored? not sure if it's still true currently) every single item in the game in a single monstrous if/else statement.

:eyepop:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wrist Watch posted:

poo poo man you don't need to tell me, i wrote drgn.txt, the 10mb plaintext main method. why you think i encourage people to just jump in headfirst? :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo man you don't need to tell me, i wrote drgn.txt, the 10mb plaintext main method. why you think i encourage people to just jump in headfirst? :v:

Oh, that wasn't aimed at you or anything. I just like excuses to post that for people who haven't seen it before.

fake edit: I found drgn.txt and :eyepop:
people listen to this man dragon, he knows what he's talking about

real talk if you know literally nothing about doing something then by default anything you manage to produce while trying to learn will be better than what you had before, the only direction is up

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
haha, not only the entire object and weapon prefixes are on one single file, the localization strings for all languages are there too, this is amazing.

Still a good game

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

real talk if you know literally nothing about doing something then by default anything you manage to produce while trying to learn will be better than what you had before, the only direction is up

unless you're working for tiyuri

don't be working for tiyuri

also I still have this beautiful avatar from a few threads before, and I'd like to remind people that someone spent at least $30 for it (and 2 more - hi Eonwe).

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
what if 1.0 is good what then my friends

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

what if 1.0 is good what then my friends
If Starbound was suddenly good I would forgive all most of the poo poo that has been repeatedly outlined in this thread for over a year now. That's the real tragedy here. I want Starbound to be good. As ideas go it seemed so full of potential and hard to gently caress up. It's actually kind of impressive how much Tiy destroyed a good premise.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I've pretty much given up hope on the game being good outside of modders doing the heavy lifting. Even then, I have a hard time imagining the game has enough passionate modders left in the Starbound community who don't think rotting food and insanely gated content are good things.

The thing I'm most annoyed at is that Tiy is profiting from actual good game Stardew Valley when he did jack and poo poo to promote it outside of maybe two livestreams. I hope ConcernedApe sees most of the profits.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wrist Watch posted:

whyyyyyyy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

If Starbound was suddenly good I would forgive all most of the poo poo that has been repeatedly outlined in this thread for over a year now. That's the real tragedy here. I want Starbound to be good. As ideas go it seemed so full of potential and hard to gently caress up. It's actually kind of impressive how much Tiy destroyed a good premise.

yea

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Why is it always massive if/else statements? I've seen lots of horrible bits of code that do that. Personally I'd immediately look for a way to do it that wasn't horrible, because gently caress writing up that many goddamn if/elses.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this game out of early access yet? Really looking forward to playing!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Slime posted:

Why is it always massive if/else statements? I've seen lots of horrible bits of code that do that. Personally I'd immediately look for a way to do it that wasn't horrible, because gently caress writing up that many goddamn if/elses.

code:

if(can_I_code_worth_a_shit()==1)
  use_a_good_method();
else
  use_genius_if_else_method();

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's been a few years since i checked in. is this a game yet

edit: okay that's a dumb question, is it going to be a game someday

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 4, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

it's been a few years since i checked in. is this a game yet

edit: okay that's a dumb question, is it going to be a game someday

No, and possibly in the near future respectively, if they don't decide to double down on bad decisions again (they're going to double down on bad decisions again)

I'm really sad about this game turning out to be what it is because before it really tanked I sunk a ton of time and enthusiasm (and continued to sink well after the fact out of a misguided desire to finish what I started) into a race that will never see the light of day because Starbound is a bad game made by a bad man. Would anybody object to me posting some of the assets just to say I finally did something with them?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

Would anybody object to me posting some of the assets just to say I finally did something with them?

:justpost:

Who's gonna stop you, Tiy?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he probably coded the items like that because it did what he wanted and didn't do anything he didn't want. just guessing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's a good guess

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Slime posted:

ctrl + c ctrl + v

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vib Rib posted:

If 1.0 is magically a good game, I will reinstall immediately and have fun in Space Terraria. I'm still feeling burnt by game progress being locked behind bullshit fights against bosses who are too agile to adequately fight using the game's jumping physics, which is how I felt a few months ago. The base building was fun, but that's just because it's the base building from Terraria :colbert:

edit:

Wrist Watch posted:

:holymoley:

Would it have killed them to just make some kind of itemfactory class that relies on like a Dictionary<string, Item:Entity>? I can't even begin to muster the kind of Giving a poo poo that it would take for me to mentally parse this file.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Saw this news, hyena laughed for about thirty seconds straight.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Maybe Starbound's development is like cyber-performance art.

or maybe it's just not good

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Wrist Watch posted:

why the hell are they even making this game if they can't figure out a better way to organize things than torturing the bounds of what you could use a logical statement for :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

1) "they" are not the same people responsible for that if/else beast

2) Terraria makes a bunch of money and actually owns a lot despite everything under the hood

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

he probably coded the items like that because it did what he wanted and didn't do anything he didn't want. just guessing

This code worked for them because they didn't backpedal on design decisions. If they had to change something that couldn't fit inside this if/else block, they'd have to change a whole lot of stuff.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Babe Magnet posted:

1) "they" are not the same people responsible for that if/else beast

2) Terraria makes a bunch of money and actually owns a lot despite everything under the hood

Here's the really funny thing: according to every coder who's looked at the codebase, Starbound is a beautifully coded game. As far as code goes it's like a work of art. It just isn't a good game. Kyren's an amazingly talented coder, she used to code for the DoD and all kinds of crazy poo poo. The only downside to that is from what I've been told, she cares more about making pretty code than making deadlines/a good game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so he did it because it worked, got it

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Musluk posted:

:justpost:

Who's gonna stop you, Tiy?

Welp, here goes.

These are Geodes.

They come in a few different colors and head shapes. They're fully animated, but it's a bitch to stitch together the source files so I didn't. Geodes are divided into spiky and smooth categories rather than male and female, because rocks don't have genders, probably.

They're animate clusters of jewel and stone, held together by a magnetic field controlled by their main core, which functions as a brain, heart and soul in one package. Their cores are sort of like magic fiber-optic networks, storing and sharing data, memories, and emotions as patterns of light, and if it gets messed up they're pretty much hosed. They live on a podunk ball of rock at the rear end-end of space that is completely incapable of sustaining any organic life, but orbits a star generating a curious radiation which causes crystal structures to grow rapidly and aberrantly. This same radiation is responsible for their sentience, and as such the geodes revere the star as a holy entity, calling it the Stonemother and worshipping it as a life-giver and guardian. The patch of space around their planet is considered a dead zone that spacefarers avoid due to its intense magnetic fluctiuations that routinely cause ships passing to crash and burn by way of navigations failure if they stray too close. Because of this, they're completely ignorant to anything outside of their little bubble, save for the occasional lightshow and earthshaking vibrations (geodes are deaf) from a crashing ship.

Eventually something manages to land properly (an archaic escape pod with almost entirely manual navigation systems) and they are introduced to The King of Space. The King is an escaped convict from a nearby USCM penal colony who convinces the geodes that he is a Very Important Person, and beseeches them to help him repair his ship so he can leave. The geodes have absolutely no idea what he's talking about, but they bring him lots of the shiny materials abundant to their planet and he seems pretty drat happy about it. After he repairs his ship, he leaves them his Codex as a parting gift and swears to return to repay the favor. In a few months time the geodes have all but exhausted the Codex's database and now have an entry-level understanding of the universe around them and the creatures they share it with. They're not terribly smart, but they learn fast. Unfortunately, not long afterwards the King returns, with a few hundred friends and a fleet of magnetism-shielded mining freighters. Now under attack, they use their newfound knowledge to make repairs to a handful of the more intact ships that crashed on their planet over the years and take to the stars, living in small nomadic colonies that mostly keep together, and to themselves. Because there can be no more Geodes without the Stonemother's light, an order of geodes called Lightseekers (you, the player) are tasked with exploring the stars to find a way of artificially replicating it before their numbers dwindle to zero.

Lightseekers get their own ship, which looks like this

Inspiration was the alien pyramid from Kirby 64, but it came out looking like poo poo because I can't handle large objects. All of the essential stations are shrunk and confined to the warp room, so the player can build up the center chamber however they want. The captains chair is replaced by the little triangle on the ceiling, which is actually a projector that I could never make work because gently caress LUA. It looks like this when animating

All of the armor tiers have a particular theme based on how far along in your light/life research you are.

There are only 3 weapons per tier and they don't repeat, because if there was a full selection everyone would always pick the same thing isntead of trying something new.
First two are stone and direstone, they have the gimmick of having 1.5 the defense and health of equivalent armors at the expense of energy, as in any of it. Great for early-game stuff.
Second two are Slag and Miracle Metal, respectively. Geodes are good with stone, but don't know dick about metallurgy. Slag is them just completely giving up and dumping a random slurry of molten metal to cool around their bodies forming the armor. Miracle Metal is the first result of your light research and is fairly soft and malleable until struck, whereupon it briefly gains incredible hardness. Both metal tiers have equivalent stats to other armors at that tier.
There were other tiers planned, but I got really sick of having to kludge everything around human-shape bases and probably won't ever finish them unless armor masking is added (it won't be).

I even made a hokey alphabet for them

Phrases in it would be turned sideways and read from bottom to top, like so

Looking back on it now it feels like a really massive waste of time, but I enjoyed the parts of it that didn't involve code. At least I won't have to think about them anymore.
Wow, this ended up being a long post. Sorry. There isn't a way to TIMG posts, is there?
e: Works like a charm, thanks Oddium!

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2016

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oddium posted:

so he did it because it worked, got it

I hope making millions taught that fool a lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

Sometimes people make bad investments? An investment isnt a money printing machine, you arent guaranteed money - an investment is a gamble. You can get burned by anything in life, nothing is guaranteed. My parents told me a college degree would solve all of life's problems, for instance. People bought houses in California (as an investment) to flip them, and lost their rear end when the market burst.

I wrote a long rear end post about this once before but decided it was too tryhard or some carebear bullshit, so I erased it, but Kickstarter absolutely is an investment.

You are investing in the product - but buying the game as it stands at the time you purchase it. If the investment grows, great, you get a better game. if they stop development there, you might have known what you were getting into if you researched at all the rate of development updates and releases and made a judgement on how active the developer seemed to be -- but it's foolish to put all your hopes on what other people promise. That's like some Hamburger Harry, Ill-pay-you-tomorrow-for-a-hamburger-today level poo poo. There are cases like the Cube World guy who did a lot them stopped, and maybe people can feel burned by that - but I also dont feel like people should take it at face value when a dev says they will promise free updates "forever". There are a bunch of issues with that statement alone, but I dont understand how people dont see how early access works as an investment.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 4, 2016

• Locked thread