Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

is it even possible to get from chilliwack or abbotsford to vancouver without using something like greyhound? seriously i have no idea.

Literally the only way to do it from Abbotsford is to take the bus to Mission and be on the West Coast Express that takes you to Vancouver about 5 times a day on weekdays and the last train leaves at like 8:30am or something. Then you have to do the reverse from 3-7pm to get home.

If you want to get to Vancouver from Abbotsford or Mission any other times on public transit you're SOL.

And Chilliwack you just can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Incorrect, there's a bus now:

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/290942261.html

quote:

Chilliwack residents will, for the first time, be able to take public transit to Abbotsford and Langley, which will link them to other systems to travel as far as Vancouver and on to the ferry terminals.

The long-awaited Fraser Valley Express launches April 6 [2015] with service from downtown Chilliwack terminating at Translink’s Carvolth Transit Exchange in Langley.

Johann Van Schalk from BC Transit was at Chilliwack city council’s Tuesday meeting to update elected officials on the new service deemed to be “very, very high on the list of need-to-haves.”

BC Transit found, through reviewing trip diaries, analyzing data and studying surveys, that the demand for service to and from Chilliwack from further west in the Fraser Valley is growing rapidly.

The new service will have its easternmost pick-up point downtown Chilliwack. The bus will then stop at Vedder and Luckakuck, then the Lickman Road Park and Ride after which it will head to Abbotsford with the first stop at the McCallum Road Park and Ride. From there it will go to the Highstreet Shopping Centre then to the Carvolth Transit Exchange in Langley.

Ridership is pathetically low though, might get cancelled.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just did this a couple of times, from Victoria to Abbotsford and back. Get off the ferry, take a bus to Surrey, then Langley, then Abbortsford, and you can stay on the bus and go to Chilliwack too.

It takes a long time. :geno:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mastershakeman posted:

All that stuff like the rocket dockets, mers, etc is smoke. What's the "humane" solution, a decade of living for free for everyone? I should probably read the various foreclosure laws in Canada but if they have anything like the USA does they're vastly too friendly to people who stop paying their mortgage.

Compare this to someone who stops paying their rent and is out on the street incredibly quickly. Theres a massive favoritism to protecting "homeowners" (since they don't actually own it) over renters and this is just another example. I mean could you imagine showing up to eviction court and complaining the rent is too drat high and please judge wont you order that I can live there for half the price it's only fair

Correct me if I am mistaken, but part of the reason people have had such good fortune to continue living in their foreclosure is because the banks didn't pursue any action isn't it?

Like if my renter stops paying rent and I ignore the situation for 10 years for some reason, the outcome would be the same.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Throatwarbler posted:

I just did this a couple of times, from Victoria to Abbotsford and back. Get off the ferry, take a bus to Surrey, then Langley, then Abbortsford, and you can stay on the bus and go to Chilliwack too.

It takes a long time. :geno:

When my car died in Chula Vista once, I thought it would be hoot to take public transit. The drive to college was 25-35 minutes, how long could the bus take? 3 hours later I turned around and went home having not reached school. Making public transit lovely is a passtime of North America.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

ocrumsprug posted:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but part of the reason people have had such good fortune to continue living in their foreclosure is because the banks didn't pursue any action isn't it?

Like if my renter stops paying rent and I ignore the situation for 10 years for some reason, the outcome would be the same.

In a few cases, it was also because the banks realized they didn't have the paperwork to prove they owned the mortgage. So it would be like if you wanted the police to evict your tenants for non-payment, but couldn't actually prove to any authority that owned the unit in question.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Falstaff posted:

In a few cases, it was also because the banks realized they didn't have the paperwork to prove they owned the mortgage.

What in the world? :psyduck:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Incorrect, there's a bus now:

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/290942261.html

Ridership is pathetically low though, might get cancelled.

Oh nice, I didn't know that.

It would take loving forever to get to Vancouver on that schedule though, holy crap.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mastershakeman posted:

What's the "humane" solution, a decade of living for free for everyone?
I think its more than a bit blase of you to handwave and/or dismiss away that stuff so easily, huge numbers of people lost their homes to such "minor" issues, but...maybe that wouldn't be such a terrible idea? I'm not really exactly sure what should be done but I think almost anything would be an improvement at this point. Personally if it came down to it I'd rather have foreclosed empty homes practically given away to poor people. Especially if bank propping policies at the expense of taxpayers (ie. TBTF + given access to nearly free money from the FED) are still going to be implemented. If they're going to be propped up as profit making enterprises by the people then people should get something more in return then "maaaaybe we give you a loan for a non-stupid interest rate, maybe" from the banks.

mastershakeman posted:

Compare this to someone who stops paying their rent and is out on the street incredibly quickly. Theres a massive favoritism to protecting "homeowners" (since they don't actually own it) over renters and this is just another example.
There is but that isn't say much since renters are often totally screwed in the US. Unless of course they know how to game the system and rent from a ignorant land owner but that isn't common I believe despite the occasional horror story you can google up without too much trouble on the subject. Reform in favor of renters is something that needs to happen but that is a whole other mess and I don't have much of an idea of how to fix it either since I'm not a expert there either. But even to someone who is generally ignorant of the details of the law its obvious things need to be done to improve the situation.

I know some countries like Germany have very strong rules in favor of renters as well as policies in place to help keep bubbles from occurring so it does seem doable in the real world and not just ivory tower theory to have sane and effective regulation (edit: ugh how did I leave out that word?!) of the housing and renters market. What exactly those policies are and how to get them implemented in the US or Canada, at least in part since not everything is going to translate seamlessly legally, is something else entirely and I don't really know where to begin there.

Professor Shark posted:

What in the world? :psyduck:
MERS was and still is a shitshow, though perhaps a bit less so now than back in 2006-2010 when it was being challenged in court a bit more frequently, both from a documentation quality standpoint and from a legal standpoint.

I don't know if Canada has a equivalent of it but it was a form of electronic legal documentation record keeping that was designed to speed up home purchases and sales greatly while also avoiding paperwork fees to improve profits.

More reading here: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/16/mers-mortgage-mess-new-york-illegal-foreclosure/

Here is a more modern (2015) but also more localized (Seattle area) article on how issues with MERS are still a big problem and why: https://theintercept.com/2015/09/18/leaked-seattle-audit-concludes-many-mortgage-documents-void/

The problems with MERS was also why robo-signing became a thing on such a huge scale. The tl&dr on it is: widespread legal fraud allowed in favor of banks.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 3, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

What's the "humane" solution, a decade of living for free for everyone?

Giving away a bunch of foreclosed empty homes to people who would actually claim them and pay for upkeep, etc. wouldn't actually be such a bad idea. it'd be like a modern version of the Homestead Act.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
A humane solution to the consequence of being a greedy gently caress with poor impulse control? Get the gently caress outta here

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

So we looked at a house today just out of interest.

Holy poo poo, whoever said you can't lose in the real estate market needs a swift kick in the head.

4-5 years ago: young girl saw a heritage home right across the park for $240k. Got super excited and bought it.

Today: foundation issue "discovered" by inspection as condition for sale ($229k). Engineer determined foundation issues, entire thing needs to be replaced. Approx. cost: $60k. It has been on the market for 8 months now and is $169k.

No bank will lend money for this house to buy until the problem is fixed. She's pretty much hosed until she can a) repair it or b) pay off enough to low ball it to a developer.

The kicker is: the foundation issue was known when she bought the place. The previous owner didn't make it public knowledge. :kiddo:

But disregard that because nobody loses in real estate

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea previous owners love to leave surprises like that for buyers and inspections miss tons of poo poo because they can't open up the walls.

While its certainly true old homes were generally much better built and used better quality wood a decade or 2 of neglected upkeep, or even just mediocre upkeep, by the previous owner can mean you effectively end up buying a very expensive on-going project that you just happen to live in. New homes can have troubles too of course, especially the ones made during a bubble/boom, quality can really go downhill. If you can find one done by a good builder and don't mind paying extra (5-10%) quality new to newer homes are out there and all things considered I think a new to newer is a better buy since the standards for insulation and electrical as well as layout will be much better than 40yr+ construction.

You can usually get good information from a established local contractor who has been in the area for a couple decades about which homes and builders are crap or good. They can sometimes find some things that the regular inspectors miss so its handy to have one go over a home you're interested in in more detail before buying. Typically cost $2-300 in the US to have one do that. Not sure what it costs in Canada.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ocrumsprug posted:

Falstaff posted:

In a few cases, it was also because the banks realized they didn't have the paperwork to prove they owned the mortgage. So it would be like if you wanted the police to evict your tenants for non-payment, but couldn't actually prove to any authority that owned the unit in question.
It's certainly part of it, but the lender forgetting/not caring is the vast minority of cases, they're just hyped up a lot. Also, while that can be an issue, let's say the lender doesn't care for 2 years - then the lender has to duke it out in court for 5-10 years after that initial 2 year lapse. A bunch of states in the USA are pretty fast on foreclosures, but IL (chicago) where I worked isnt. So for example, if someone never even showed up to court, they got a minimum of one year in the house for free / to collect & pocket rent. Show up to court and literally say nothing, 2-3 years. Fight? 5+, 10 if you get lucky with timing and judges about losing their jobs if they clear their call.

Ownership (standing) is another super rare thing that got hyped up, and a lot of the times the bank would 'lose' and simply reword the complaint and come right back. That being said, there's a bunch of cases in Florida where it looks like the banks might have shot themselves in the foot permanently, but I'm betting they'll come out on top (statute of limitations issues).
At least in my jurisdiction, you didn't need paperwork to prove ownership, and the UCC doesn't require it either. What likely happened is someone stalling a case long enough, on a property worth so little, the bank said gently caress it and stopped paying its attorneys.

All that being said, it'll be interesting to see each jurisdiction in Canada with how they deal with these issues if/when the bubble pops. With everyone leveraged to such a high degree, strategic defaulting in Canada makes a huge amount of sense, although I'm not familiar with the bankruptcy code there to know if people can get away scot free like they can in the USA.

The best part is going to be when homeowners are screaming that the banks ripped them off and that the value of the house isn't what they thought it was when they signed the paperwork and that they should get to stay in the house at half the price, because hey they deserve it by god even though smarter people were refusing to get in on the bubble. If you want a humane solution to foreclosures, have the government (as they're the ones backstopping everything) take the house and rent it out instead of trying to keep equity as high as possible.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yea previous owners love to leave surprises like that for buyers and inspections miss tons of poo poo because they can't open up the walls.

Yeah, except y'know, the problem was literally right in your face when you go down to the unfinished basement and see a huge crack in the foundation wall on both sides with vertical steel braces and a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 in the middle literally the only thing stopping the house from caving itself in.

An incompetent mentally challenged house inspector would have noticed it too. I forgot to mentioned she failed to get an inspector and took it at face value.

Because what could go wrong!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

quaint bucket posted:

The kicker is: the foundation issue was known when she bought the place. The previous owner didn't make it public knowledge. :kiddo:

So why doesn't she just sue the previous owner for the 60K? It's pretty cut and dry if he/she knew and failed to disclose.

Edit: Just looked it up on a suspicion, and if I'm reading this right, hidden defect protection is only a thing in Quebec?!? This can't be right. What the gently caress RoC?

Aramis fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 3, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mastershakeman posted:

So for example, if someone never even showed up to court, they got a minimum of one year in the house for free / to collect & pocket rent. Show up to court and literally say nothing, 2-3 years. Fight? 5+, 10 if you get lucky with timing and judges about losing their jobs if they clear their call....Ownership (standing) is another super rare thing that got hyped up
But how common is all that? Reading the story about the rocket docket and in general foreclosure court decisions seem to go in favor of the banks by a massive majority. Taibbi wrote a great article on all this. There was no overhyping going on. The system is clearly hilariously rigged against homeowners here. If the situation was reversed and it was nearly all the homeowners winning the decisions in their favor and essentially ending up with free homes or living in a home for 10yr+ before eviction you'd have a point. But that isn't anywhere near close to what is happening.

mastershakeman posted:

The best part is going to be when homeowners are screaming that the banks ripped them off and that the value of the house isn't what they thought it was when they signed the paperwork and that they should get to stay in the house at half the price, because hey they deserve it by god even though smarter people were refusing to get in on the bubble. If you want a humane solution to foreclosures, have the government (as they're the ones backstopping everything) take the house and rent it out instead of trying to keep equity as high as possible.
Its certainly true that no matter what solution is attempted moral hazard will be a part of it. But what is the least bad, as in closest to actually good, option here? Punishing whiny idiots is always fun, and normally I'd be all for it, but bubbles don't just happen along. They're aided and abetted by people in the know in industry and by regulators who decide to look the other way for personal gain of some sort. And by their nature bubbles tend to be huge and effect even those who played no part in their formation. I'd think it makes more sense that those who knew better (ie. banks, credit rating agencies, RE agents, LO's, etc.) get "punished" in 1 form or another and that, in general, the most lenient and amenable arrangements should be made in favor of the (admittedly whiny idiots who should've known better) people who bought into the bubble.

I admit I wouldn't mind it too much, since it'd be a big improvement on the current situation, if your idea (govt. take possession of foreclosures and rents them out at reasonable prices) were implemented instead though. Getting such an idea into law past the lobbyists and entrenched interests would be virtually impossible though. Lobbyists having too much say in legislation is a big problem everywhere in the US right now though. Probably always has been but things really seem to be coming to a head in the last decade or so.

quaint bucket posted:

Yeah, except y'know, the problem was literally right in your face when you go down to the unfinished basement and see a huge crack in the foundation wall on both sides with vertical steel braces and a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 in the middle literally the only thing stopping the house from caving itself in. An incompetent mentally challenged house inspector would have noticed it too. I forgot to mentioned she failed to get an inspector and took it at face value.
She acted like an idiot in more ways then one then, hard to feel a lot of compassion for someone like that. Its a good thing you didn't buy from her though.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 3, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

quaint bucket posted:

So we looked at a house today just out of interest.

Holy poo poo, whoever said you can't lose in the real estate market needs a swift kick in the head.

4-5 years ago: young girl saw a heritage home right across the park for $240k. Got super excited and bought it.

Today: foundation issue "discovered" by inspection as condition for sale ($229k). Engineer determined foundation issues, entire thing needs to be replaced. Approx. cost: $60k. It has been on the market for 8 months now and is $169k.

No bank will lend money for this house to buy until the problem is fixed. She's pretty much hosed until she can a) repair it or b) pay off enough to low ball it to a developer.

But disregard that because nobody loses in real estate

Where is this house located? Your post history suggests Metro Vancouver, but that price should be a red flag to anyone.

quaint bucket posted:

Yeah, except y'know, the problem was literally right in your face when you go down to the unfinished basement and see a huge crack in the foundation wall on both sides with vertical steel braces and a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 in the middle literally the only thing stopping the house from caving itself in.

An incompetent mentally challenged house inspector would have noticed it too. I forgot to mentioned she failed to get an inspector and took it at face value.

Because what could go wrong!

Oh. Kind of an important detail there.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 3, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

Where is this house located? Your post history suggests Metro Vancouver, but that price should be a red flag to anyone.

Prince George.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Oh. Kind of an important detail there.

Prince George. Moved from Vancouver last year to make more money for less quality of life

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

quaint bucket posted:

Prince George. Moved from Vancouver last year to make more money for less quality of life

Take up an outdoor sport or forever pine for Vancouver.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Aramis posted:

So why doesn't she just sue the previous owner for the 60K? It's pretty cut and dry if he/she knew and failed to disclose.

Edit: Just looked it up on a suspicion, and if I'm reading this right, hidden defect protection is only a thing in Quebec?!? This can't be right. What the gently caress RoC?

Pretty sure what I saw is considered a patent defect. The only protection there is "buyer's beware"

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

crbrsd posted:

Take up an outdoor sport or forever pine for Vancouver.

I live for off-roading in mall parking lot

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quaint bucket posted:

I live for off-roading in mall parking lot

Cross-country skiing, nature photography, hiking, heck there's even some decent climbing routes in the canyons around PG if you look hard enough. You're a stones throw from the untouched beauty of Tweedsmuir, the blasted-moonscape weirdness of Itcha-Ilgachuz, or the quiet tranquility of the Bowron Lakes. Lawdy if you really don't like walking then grab a Bob Ross set and start painting.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

The mountain biking is also really good (Otway, Pidherny, Cranbrook, University hill). Closest ski hill is 15 minutes from downtown, plus 4 more within two hours (and the Hart kiddie hill downtown).

Seems like the only people who move here and stay long term are the ones who are really into outdoors stuff, because it's not like there's much else to do (as you seem to have found out).

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Rime posted:

Cross-country skiing, nature photography, hiking, heck there's even some decent climbing routes in the canyons around PG if you look hard enough. You're a stones throw from the untouched beauty of Tweedsmuir, the blasted-moonscape weirdness of Itcha-Ilgachuz, or the quiet tranquility of the Bowron Lakes. Lawdy if you really don't like walking then grab a Bob Ross set and start painting.

We're talking about PG, so what you really do is buy a $200 beater truck, put a 1 day permit on it, tearass around the logging roads until the rear differential blows, shoot it full of holes and torch it.

But, yes, if you really like the outdoors, PG beats the pants off Vancouver. The danger is getting stuck in PG.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

crbrsd posted:

The mountain biking is also really good (Otway, Pidherny, Cranbrook, University hill). Closest ski hill is 15 minutes from downtown, plus 4 more within two hours (and the Hart kiddie hill downtown).

Seems like the only people who move here and stay long term are the ones who are really into outdoors stuff, because it's not like there's much else to do (as you seem to have found out).

Yep, we have learned that the first month or so living here. Heck, one of the biggest reason why I moved here was really outdoors (I fish, hunt, camp, hike) and perceived lower cost of living (it balanced out in the end).

Going for a hike today to try to take advantage of the lifestyle here. Haven't really had a chance because of certain issues (lovely racists pot head white trash neighbours in CH and new kid shortly after moving again).

Loving the heritage area where we're renting but looking at the possibility of buying to see if it is even something worth exploring.

Our main concern about PG is the lifestyle within the city, social network, and the education system for the kids. We will probably end up going w a private school in the end if we stay here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Private Schools even exist in PG? Wow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Been living downtown for a year this week, and have yet to hear anything about a lease renewal or rent increase :feelsgood:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

But how common is all that? Reading the story about the rocket docket and in general foreclosure court decisions seem to go in favor of the banks by a massive majority. Taibbi wrote a great article on all this. There was no overhyping going on. The system is clearly hilariously rigged against homeowners here. If the situation was reversed and it was nearly all the homeowners winning the decisions in their favor and essentially ending up with free homes or living in a home for 10yr+ before eviction you'd have a point. But that isn't anywhere near close to what is happening.

Its certainly true that no matter what solution is attempted moral hazard will be a part of it. But what is the least bad, as in closest to actually good, option here? Punishing whiny idiots is always fun, and normally I'd be all for it, but bubbles don't just happen along. They're aided and abetted by people in the know in industry and by regulators who decide to look the other way for personal gain of some sort. And by their nature bubbles tend to be huge and effect even those who played no part in their formation. I'd think it makes more sense that those who knew better (ie. banks, credit rating agencies, RE agents, LO's, etc.) get "punished" in 1 form or another and that, in general, the most lenient and amenable arrangements should be made in favor of the (admittedly whiny idiots who should've known better) people who bought into the bubble.

I admit I wouldn't mind it too much, since it'd be a big improvement on the current situation, if your idea (govt. take possession of foreclosures and rents them out at reasonable prices) were implemented instead though. Getting such an idea into law past the lobbyists and entrenched interests would be virtually impossible though. Lobbyists having too much say in legislation is a big problem everywhere in the US right now though. Probably always has been but things really seem to be coming to a head in the last decade or so.

I love Taibbi, but he's seeing smoke where there's no fire. The issues, sadly, are really simple, and all the hullaballo about ownership was pretty much just a way for judges to slow things down if they wanted to. I could go into the legal technicalities but there's no point. When it comes down to it, these people didn't pay their mortgages, no different than not paying their rent.

Canadian folks - where can I go dig up your statutes for BC / Ontario (as those are the big cities in play here)? I might read up on them but don't want to go through more effort than I need to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aramis posted:

Caveat emptor! Otherwise how would I be able to flip condos every six months?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

mastershakeman posted:

I love Taibbi, but he's seeing smoke where there's no fire. The issues, sadly, are really simple, and all the hullaballo about ownership was pretty much just a way for judges to slow things down if they wanted to. I could go into the legal technicalities but there's no point. When it comes down to it, these people didn't pay their mortgages, no different than not paying their rent.

Canadian folks - where can I go dig up your statutes for BC / Ontario (as those are the big cities in play here)? I might read up on them but don't want to go through more effort than I need to.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws
http://www.bclaws.ca/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mastershakeman posted:

I love Taibbi, but he's seeing smoke where there's no fire..... and all the hullaballo about ownership was pretty much just a way for judges to slow things down
He cited the opinion of several other lawyers in the article who also called BS on the situation so even if you want to ignore his opinion and the information he gave about the goings on in court, all of which still stand as fact, you can't just blow them off.

Kinda amazing of you to blow off the missing paperwork/ownership problem as nonsense too. If you're knowledgeable on this subject, as you claim to be, you know good and well it wasn't some minor detail. Being able to prove ownership and to prove you own the debt on a given property is a pretty big friggin' deal, you can't have a functional housing market if you can't do either of those things, and quite frequently the banks couldn't do that without the paperwork.

Which they didn't have. So they fabricated it. If anyone other than the banks had done that they'd go off to jail for fraud. Quite the double standard to say the least.

It had nothing at all to do with "judges slowing things down". Especially since if you'd read the article you'd know the judges frequently did the exact opposite.

mastershakeman posted:

When it comes down to it, these people didn't pay their mortgages, no different than not paying their rent.
If you want to cast this issue in simplistic black and white on a individual level only you just end up effectively blowing off the destruction of a lot of ordinary people's finances to the benefit of a very few rich and well connected assholes who subverted the system to be the ruler of the ash heap. That is not something I can view as reasonable.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Been living downtown for a year this week, and have yet to hear anything about a lease renewal or rent increase :feelsgood:

My landlord forgot to do the yearly increase for like 6 months once, I sure as gently caress wasn't going to mention anything.

Once they remembered they still had to give 3 months notice. Was sweet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Butcher posted:

My landlord forgot to do the yearly increase for like 6 months once, I sure as gently caress wasn't going to mention anything.

Once they remembered they still had to give 3 months notice. Was sweet

The landlord for my wife's place hasn't raised the rent in 4 years, in the thick of Silicon Valley. No idea what he's thinking.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Our old landlord's never raised the rent on us, they always just thought having good tenants that paid rent on time and didn't trash the place was worth not getting an extra $100 a month or whatever.

Seeing the number of letters from debt collectors and banks that the old tenant kept getting for literally 18 months after we moved in, I can see where they're coming from, as I doubt they got a lot of rent paid by their previous tenant.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I've had one rent increase over 6 years; the building also changed hands to a new corporation, and they've never increased the rent either. Not sure why, guess they like the stability of the tenants they have here.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Since I moved into my place in 2009 I've actually had a $100 rent reduction.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you own the property, aren't local and are just holding it for capital appreciation then a long term responsible renter is easily worth two months rent a year. Damage and empty properties consume a huge amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Every landlord or property company I've rented from has always raised the rent the maximum allowable amount

Maybe I'm just a huge rear end in a top hat