Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

be nice wicka posted:

realistically, if kimi leaves ferrari next year, who could they get better than grosjean?

Max the Hax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i asked who could they get, not drivers under contract with rival teams who they literally cannot sign

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they wanted Max bad enough that wouldn't be an issue. Vettel had a contract with Red Bull.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

If they wanted Max bad enough that wouldn't be an issue. Vettel had a contract with Red Bull.

if red bull didn't want vettel to leave then he couldn't have left. their contracts with youth drivers are insanely restrictive, especially. verstappen is an insanely improbably option for ferrari.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
you really think if Verstappen wanted to go to Ferrari next year and Ferrari wanted to hire him he wouldn't be able to because of a piece of paper?

you're so naive wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hefe commits murder, argues laws are just "pieces of paper"

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

i asked who could they get, not drivers under contract with rival teams who they literally cannot sign

Ferrari have some history of throwing large amounts of money at contractual issues to solve them.

I get impression that the Verstappen machine would happily throw the red bull organisation under the bus if presented with any decent opportunity, assuming Max's tithe to RB is paid out. Like anyone should.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

if red bull didn't want vettel to leave then he couldn't have left. their contracts with youth drivers are insanely restrictive, especially. verstappen is an insanely improbably option for ferrari.

I don't think they want Max, I'm saying if they wanted him they would have no issues clearing those hurdles. How much did they pay to kick Kimi out a year early for Alonso? and then they did the exact same thing for Alonso to make room for Vettel. If Ferrari wants somebody they usually get them, which is why going to Haas specifically for a Ferrari seat was perceived as a daft move on Grosjean's part.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Ferrari won't hire Max but lol at thinking "he has a contract with RB" would stop them if they actually wanted to hire him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

OK, assuming the insanely unlikely possibility of red bull not doing everything they can do keep their prized starlet away from ferrari, what about ferrari's entire racing history and clear behavioral tendencies suggests they would sign a driver as aggressive, petulant, and entitled as verstappen to partner a driver as aggressive, petulant, and entitled as vettel?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"pieces of paper" literally the worst post these threads have ever seen, hefe

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
settle down wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

settle down wicka

again, stop it with this dumb poo poo

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

El Hefe posted:

settle down wicka

Or make more posts about contracts and poo poo like that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

OK, assuming the insanely unlikely possibility of red bull not doing everything they can do keep their prized starlet away from ferrari, what about ferrari's entire racing history and clear behavioral tendencies suggests they would sign a driver as aggressive, petulant, and entitled as verstappen to partner a driver as aggressive, petulant, and entitled as vettel?

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think they want Max, I'm saying if they wanted him

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the question was literally who would they sign next year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Grosjean, but again I don't think him being a Ferrari supported driver or driving for Haas would affect that outcome. Ferrari usually sign whoever they want.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Grosjean, but again I don't think him being in a Ferrari supported driver or driving for Haas would affect that outcome. Ferrari usually sign whoever they want.

surely it couldn't hurt, though. and remember they once gave a seat to an entirely out of his depth luca badoer just to pay him back for his years of loyalty.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That was in the 90s before Schumi, that organization is a completely different beast now.

Besides that, try and imagine a world where Grosjean didn't go to Haas and so when its time to retire old Kimi they call on Gutierrez to step into the Ferrari. I can't see that ever happening.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That was in the 90s before Schumi, that organization is a completely different beast now.

Besides that, try and imagine a world where Grosjean didn't go to Haas and so when its time to retire old Kimi they call on Gutierrez to step into the Ferrari. I can't see that ever happening.

they gave luca a ride for two races in 2009 after massa died, that's what i'm talking about.

and i'm not saying they're going to give a ride to grosjean solely because he's in a ferrari powered car. i'm saying he probably thinks it gives him an advantage, AND, independent of that, there aren't many better available drivers anyway.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nico's contract is up after this year right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

they gave luca a ride for two races in 2009 after massa died, that's what i'm talking about.

and i'm not saying they're going to give a ride to grosjean solely because he's in a ferrari powered car. i'm saying he probably thinks it gives him an advantage, AND, independent of that, there aren't many better available drivers anyway.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here Wicka, I don't think it hurt his odds but I also think it probably didn't give him an advantage either.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

We're going to have to agree to disagree here Wicka, I don't think it hurt his odds but I also think it probably didn't give him an advantage either.

quote:

i'm saying he probably thinks it gives him an advantage

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't even know what this argument is about anymore.

Can we just say he thought it was a good idea but it probably made no difference?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my posts were "some people have suggested that grosjean wants the ferrari seat" and then, separately, "who could ferrari realistically sign better than grosjean?"

these wouldn't be arguments if you people didn't flip your poo poo preemptively expecting me to flip my poo poo. just talk about F1 without making everything so personal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ferrari should sign world-class driver Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there anyone who actually hates Alonso anymore?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Alain Post posted:

Ferrari should sign world-class driver Ryan Hunter-Reay.

That's impossible, he's under contract with Andretti, therefore he can't work with anyone else ever.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Johnny Herbert and possibly Ron Dennis

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

herbert expended quite a lot of effort trying to suggest it was all in good fun. it was actually kind of impressive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

Hell I don't think Ron even hates him, he probably just mutters to himself and gives disappointing glares like my dad does.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

be nice wicka posted:

herbert expended quite a lot of effort trying to suggest it was all in good fun. it was actually kind of impressive.

I didn't see this. Was he trying to explain away Alonso clowning him on live TV or his original quotes?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gabriele Tarquini is still racing. Jesus.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Hamilton thinks Bottas' collision was a racing incident, what now British tv pundits?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Anyone have a video of what Herbert actually said before Alonso Pastored him? All I can find is 40 copies of Alonso's comeback

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there anyone who actually hates Alonso anymore?

How can one hate that which is dead?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That was a solid race. First 2 laps were pure carnage.

Haas is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anyone have a video of what Herbert actually said before Alonso Pastored him? All I can find is 40 copies of Alonso's comeback

Wasn't it his tweet?

• Locked thread