Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

nm posted:

Its what makes a subaru a subaru.

They love their parts to death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
God drat gently caress loving rust forever

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

God drat gently caress loving rust forever

Heat does the loving for you very well. Also letting the penetrating fluid soak the bolt for ten minutes helps as well. But its best to use heat to combat rust.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I've only got a butane torch and a heat gun, and this problem (frozen lower strut bolts) is beyond those I think. I threw in the towel, taking it to a shop tomorrow.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

I've only got a butane torch and a heat gun, and this problem (frozen lower strut bolts) is beyond those I think. I threw in the towel, taking it to a shop tomorrow.

I have used a heat gun to get frozen lower strut bolts to move. Also I am gonna recommend picking up the 40 $ HF corded impact driver. IT will also make rust your bitch. Yeah 6 point sockets heat and an impact make rust into your personal bitch 75% of the time. But theres always the other 25% of the time where rust has formed a bond stronger then welding. But seriously the HF 40$ impact and a set of there Pittsburgh pro stubby 9 point sockets will help ALOT.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Safety Dance posted:

Thank God I set, like, twelve alarms last night, because at 3:45 this morning I managed to dismiss my 4 and 4:15. Made it to the gate with 20 minutes to spare.

40mph gusts made the landing in PHL interesting.

Wow, you landed in that? drat. I live on a hill and my house felt like it was going to be blown over.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jared592 posted:

Wow, you landed in that? drat. I live on a hill and my house felt like it was going to be blown over.

This landing is the first where I've felt a bunch of distinct rudder inputs from the pilot. He was fighting every step of the way from 10,000 to 50 feet. Walking around downtown is fun. poo poo's getting blown everywhere.

I rented a VW Golf ZipCar to get out to the Micro Center, and it was a blast. I understand I wouldn't want to own one, but I get the test drive appeal.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Ah, Microcenter, one of the last places you can find serious weapons-grade, pocket-protector wearing nerds to talk computer hardware in person. That place is surprisingly competitive with NewEgg's prices too considering it's brick-and-mortar.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

I have used a heat gun to get frozen lower strut bolts to move. Also I am gonna recommend picking up the 40 $ HF corded impact driver. IT will also make rust your bitch. Yeah 6 point sockets heat and an impact make rust into your personal bitch 75% of the time. But theres always the other 25% of the time where rust has formed a bond stronger then welding. But seriously the HF 40$ impact and a set of there Pittsburgh pro stubby 9 point sockets will help ALOT.

Ive got the HF impact, I used PB blaster, let it sit for half an hour, and attacked it with the impact. No dice. :\

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
If any of you remember the time lapse test thing I did in mid-February, I've made it a youtube channel and posted all months up to March now;

Here's march;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A680uCliB-E

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Emergency root canal on a Sunday? Yes because I wanted to feel like I was kicked by a mule. The post procedure pain is way preferred over the tooth ache.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Emergency root canal on a Sunday? Yes because I wanted to feel like I was kicked by a mule. The post procedure pain is way preferred over the tooth ache.

I challenge with: toilet cistern decides to break up with the wall, an ocean of blue is born in the house.

:thumbsup:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit Microsoft. I set the task bar to auto hide on ONE computer, and only that computer, for a reason.

You didn't have to make the change on every loving computer I own! jerk

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hunh, neat. Holley is making solid aluminum radiators at pretty reasonable prices for a 2 core radiator and have options to step it up to a 3 or 4 core rad. And they've got a ton of options for LS swaped stuff in just about anything GM makes that you'd stick an LS in. A quick check on summit on a random muscle car shows them being $40 cheaper on a 3 core rad than a Mishimoto and has a 2 core one that is $100 cheaper than its 3 core. Now if only they'd make a loving paper catalog so I'd know when they release poo poo like this.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive got the HF impact, I used PB blaster, let it sit for half an hour, and attacked it with the impact. No dice. :\

Get yourself some Kroil for next time. PB Blaster is barely better than WD40.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Get yourself some Kroil for next time. PB Blaster is barely better than WD40.

Can konfirm, kroil is the good poo poo. I live in land of rust and have many years of experience with creative swearing and progressively aggressive methods to get that one stuck fucker out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Gatorade and Ibuprofen. I've been there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Can konfirm, kroil is the good poo poo. I live in land of rust and have many years of experience with creative swearing and progressively aggressive methods to get that one stuck fucker out.

Can't find Kroil? Pick up some Seafoam Deep Creep from Orileys/Lowes. It's amazing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If they've got K&W Knock 'er Loose, its even better than the seafoam stuff. We sat bolts in soda bottle caps and filled the caps with a small amount of penetrant to see how far it would climb up the threads. K&W won.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

Can't find Kroil? Pick up some Seafoam Deep Creep from Orileys/Lowes. It's amazing.

Quoted for truth. This is my perfered penetrant over many other kinds. I also have some old poo poo my grandpa gave me in some old toolboxes. Don't remember it's name but I have watched it seep into a bolt and that bolt came out easier then the rest did that day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

How do Subarus go through so many drivetrain parts?!?

Never lifting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I asked before, but where can one get those transmission kill stickers? Asking for a friend.
Bonus if they have ej25 stickers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kinda looking at Falcon Ecoboost Turbos at the moment. Sure it's a 4 banger turbo in a Falcon body, but drat they are cheap.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

nm posted:

Bonus if they have ej25 stickers.
I also could put two on my current car. Plus one for the old one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Between three Subarus I've replaced one automatic transmission, mostly because I don't know how to fix them and that seemed easier. What are you guys doing to them? Although, truthfully I got rid of the WRX before it could cause (more) problems.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CharlesM posted:

Between three Subarus I've replaced one automatic transmission, mostly because I don't know how to fix them and that seemed easier. What are you guys doing to them? Although, truthfully I got rid of the WRX before it could cause (more) problems.

Owning 5 speeds with turbos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The fact the one guy who you think should blow every clutch and gearbox in existance has never gone close to blowing a gearbox in a Suburu might mean the issue may not be Subaru's

Either that or I have Godlike mechanical sympathy

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

Owning 5 speeds with turbos.

I'm being a bit silly honestly :P
The WRX was a 5-speed and yeah the synchros were bad from the factory (replaced under warranty) and also, nothing to having to do with being a turbo, had a bad main relay. Main relay cuts out = ECU off / dead car. Which crappy dealers don't know how to diagnose because it leaves no codes in the ECU!!! If I hadn't found a dealer who knew what was wrong that would have been lemon lawed, cause no way was it acceptable to have the car turn off randomly. Glad we didn't hang on to that one cause it sounds like the cats cause problems etc. The other two have been pretty great, albeit N/A autos.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I spent most of yesterday volunteering at the finish line for the Texas Independence Relay and had a great time. I had one slice of pizza to take the edge off. My Mom has RA that's set off by gluten and I've been feeling pretty rough after every time I had gluten but just chalked up to eating lovely food. Welp, this morning I had blood in the toilet. I guess that tells me what's going on. I mean I'd get a pretty badly distended gut every time I had something with gluten, but this pretty much seals the deal. gently caress man, what are the odds that my wife and my mom and I have this problem? gently caress celiac, wheat's yummy :smith:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Go get properly tested; it could easily be something like a fructose intolerance instead :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah I know a few people who claim gluten intolerance and it turns out that's actually not that common.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

BloodBag posted:

I spent most of yesterday volunteering at the finish line for the Texas Independence Relay and had a great time. I had one slice of pizza to take the edge off. My Mom has RA that's set off by gluten and I've been feeling pretty rough after every time I had gluten but just chalked up to eating lovely food. Welp, this morning I had blood in the toilet. I guess that tells me what's going on. I mean I'd get a pretty badly distended gut every time I had something with gluten, but this pretty much seals the deal. gently caress man, what are the odds that my wife and my mom and I have this problem? gently caress celiac, wheat's yummy :smith:

Sucks that your username is coming true.

Definitely get some tests run.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't always get zits but when I do, I get 100 at once. I got one fucker righ on the edge of my lip. I tried to pop it this morning and yelped like a bitch. Ugh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

88h88 posted:

Yeah I know a few people who claim gluten intolerance and it turns out that's actually not that common.

Yep, it's normally BS when someone says they have that. My father however is genuinely gluten intolerant (yes, properly tested and everything) so it's fairly interesting to find out what gluten intolerance actually is and what you do when you have it. 20 years ago, the options were.... :vomit: frankly but the one good thing about the vast majority of idiots that claim intolerance but dont? There's a bunch of people who decided to scam money off these idiots and invent gluten free yummy food with of course a "health" markup. So idiots get conned out of their cash, my father gets to eat resonably decent tasting food. Hell, pizza is now completely fine and birthday cakes dont taste like chunder.

There's some chance I'll end up the same way (I dont actually eat that much that's a problem anyway) so it's good to see the options open up thanks to self diagnosing cuntrockets.

BloodBag posted:

Get tested, but if you have a genuine family history, the chances are good you will have it. But as I said, it's no longer that much of a problem - pizza and other otherwise tasty but crap for you foods are still very much an option without gluten.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't always get zits but when I do, I get 100 at once. I got one fucker righ on the edge of my lip. I tried to pop it this morning and yelped like a bitch. Ugh.

Ones on the side of the nose are worst. They often are deep and loving huge but drat near impossible to burst and huuuurt like a mofo when they do. But drat aint it satisfying to see the pus fly as the pressure breaks?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Why the gently caress do metal sheds come in such dumb almost-square sizes. I have an 8' x 14' space for a shed, but my only options seem to be 8x9 or 10x13.

How hard is it to buy a 'build-it-yourself' 10x13 shed and narrow it to 8' using an angle grinder and a drill?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why the gently caress do metal sheds come in such dumb almost-square sizes. I have an 8' x 14' space for a shed, but my only options seem to be 8x9 or 10x13.

How hard is it to buy a 'build-it-yourself' 10x13 shed and narrow it to 8' using an angle grinder and a drill?

I've been researching sheds lately and most seem to have an option to build one for you in a custom size of your choosing.

On a completely different note, can someone clue us in to 14 inch's situation for those of us not connected on Facebook? I hope that dude's ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The fact the one guy who you think should blow every clutch and gearbox in existance has never gone close to blowing a gearbox in a Suburu might mean the issue may not be Subaru's

Either that or I have Godlike mechanical sympathy

Its one reason I like old Audis, the transmission are overbuilt as hell, which is one reason you can basically attach whatever engine you want without worrying about blowing it with power mods. You'll break the engine before you shred the transmission.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

the spyder posted:

Can't find kroil? Obviously you've never heard of Amazon. Also liquid kroil is worth its weight in gold vs aerosool. I'm still on my original bottle that I got about 13 years ago from my wife's uncle who was given 10 gallons or some such poo poo after finishing a hydroelectric dam cylinder refurbishment job. Apparently kroil has been in use in the industrial sector for at least 2 decades.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
It's all about the ATF/Acetone mix. Cheap, mix when you need it, works as well or better than Kroil in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ATF/acetone works well too, that's my goto for getting rid of rust on bolts if I don't have a parts cleaner handy. The shelf life of a bottle is limited though because the acetone kills the spray mechanism.

• Locked thread