Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Oh right! Yeah I guess that's going to be a mess for a while, a day off to do a big thing at Glastonbury won't hurt.

Heck he can bash them while there, the press is more likely to cover it.

Edit: Did you know it's ILLEGAL to use a legal name? It is. Because the Goverment made a document about you without telling you, it's not legal. I mean unless they made it with your legal guardians but what's the odds they did that? ZERO. I ASSUME.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He can wear some extra baggy trousers that day.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Quote-Unquote posted:

There's a billboard on my way to work that just appeared the other day with the words 'THE TRUTH' and 'It's illegal to use a legal name'.

A quick Google shows that this is the catchphrase of some idiot libertarian/sovereign citizen types that reckon we all have names on our birth certificates that are the property of the crown, and because we register to vote with our 'legal names' means all voting is fraudulent so there is no legitimate government anywhere in the world.

Is this a new thing that lolbertarians are bleeding into the real world and aren't just confined to the internet? Never encountered this sort of insanity in the wild before.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Sovereign citizens are often mentally unwell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Governments are like dragons, they stop existing if people stop believing in them.

Sovereign Citizens are people who, having correctly identified that something they don't like is a social construct, and having figured that you can change social constructs just by changing minds, resolve to combat it using One Weird Trick. These Tricks are usually really loving Weird.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

It actually makes less sense when explained.

See your LEGAL NAME is a title made by the government when you're born that just happens to be the same as your real name and entered into the birth register, which is under Crown Copyright. This the government therefore owns your LEGAL NAME bit it's not actually you, because you never gave them permission to make this LEGAL NAME identity. Also since it's copyrighted it's Fraud for you to even use it, because you don't own the LEGAL NAME. Therefore all documents using it are null and void.

This doesn't actually work because it's stupid.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I'm just surprised because I've never seen the "BERTH certificate signed by the DOCK" type things outside of the internet before, let alone a large billboard at the side of a busy road.

I like that the poster doesn't have any further information on it, like a web address or anything, so people are looking at it and just being completely baffled.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Fans posted:

See your LEGAL NAME is a title made by the government when you're born that just happens to be the same as your real name and entered into the birth register, which is under Crown Copyright. This the government therefore owns your LEGAL NAME bit it's not actually you, because you never gave them permission to make this LEGAL NAME identity. Also since it's copyrighted it's Fraud for you to even use it, because you don't own the LEGAL NAME. Therefore all documents using it are null and void.

Is this some freeman of the land type poo poo?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

awesome-express posted:

Yes. It involves using magic words to absolve yourself of any legal consequences for your actions, because while you acknowledge that the law exists and you are able to COMPREHEND it, you do not UNDERSTAND it. Because UNDERSTAND means to 'STAND UNDER' which means you consent to having the law applied to you. Then the judge immediately bangs a gavel and is forced to dismiss all charges because you invoked the magic spell.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's amazing that freemen on the land / sovereign citizens are universally so obnoxious that I end up rooting for the copper giving them a taste of the volts. ACAB with schadenfreude characteristics.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Tesseraction posted:

Also here is a Very Serious Person worrying that the pro-Remain side may suffer from the same problem the GE had with Miliband being close in the polls - that younger voters say they're definitely going to vote but then end up doing whatever it is yoofs these days do, smoking weed or buttchugging vodka or something, instead of voting.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/03/younger-voters-eu-referendum-turnout-poll-brexit
It's a reasonable fear. The young don't vote in anything like the numbers of the old so if you're relying on them in an election you need to discount appropriately

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

It especially doesn't work in the UK where names are governed by English common law. You don't even need a registered deed of your name, a witnessed stock document in your own possession is sufficient, registered or not, as long as you're not changing your name to commit fraud or other impersonation. It gets a bit more complex if you're standing for public election or some court positions, but as Sovereign Citizens believe all of those are fraudulent anyway they can go right ahead and change their name legally to PAUL COLON SPACE HYPHEN SPACE JONES BRACKET NOT A BOTE CLOSE BRACKET if they want, it's 5 minutes work and a single side of paper.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

awesome-express posted:

It's mainly used as a way to say how you can get out of debt. The equivalent of going "But I signed the contract Micky Mouse your honor, that is not my real name" except instead of Micky Mouse you signed with your actual name, but it wasn't your ACTUAL name you see, because your Legal Name is not your actual name due to reasons.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fans posted:

Not really? Expecting "Out" to win would be naively optimistic as it has seemingly everything going against it. No major party supports it, it has trouble breaking past "Stay" even in the more favorable Online polls and the betting sites have lousy odds on it.

It's not a close race, despite the press wanting to pretend it is.

Tesseraction's right. I meant the optimistic about the aftermath of a yes vote being smooth.
Probably could've written that post better. If is bothered with more than 4 words

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zephro posted:

It's a reasonable fear. The young don't vote in anything like the numbers of the old so if you're relying on them in an election you need to discount appropriately

Oh definitely, but the guy who wrote the article is one of the CORBYN UNELECTABLE WE NEED BLAIR BACK types. He occasionally writes sensible articles like this one, but by and large I find him a bit of a knob.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

awesome-express posted:

Related, Jeremy Corbyn's facebook page posted this yesterday:

On the surface, that's some freeman on the land level poo poo, but because nearly everything in politics and law is a social construct, sometimes stunts like that can work, not in the immediate term, but in the long term because they make people think.

That's the most charitable reading that I can give to a lot of that stuff.

On the other end of the scale, some of it is just a cynical scam perpetuated on people who are genuinely being hosed over by the system by selling them a 900 page 'legal' pack filled with a lot of boat references that will claim to rid them of fines or unpayable debt.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Quote-Unquote posted:

There's a billboard on my way to work that just appeared the other day with the words 'THE TRUTH' and 'It's illegal to use a legal name'.

A quick Google shows that this is the catchphrase of some idiot libertarian/sovereign citizen types that reckon we all have names on our birth certificates that are the property of the crown, and because we register to vote with our 'legal names' means all voting is fraudulent so there is no legitimate government anywhere in the world.

Is this a new thing that lolbertarians are bleeding into the real world and aren't just confined to the internet? Never encountered this sort of insanity in the wild before.

Thanks for saving me a google search, I was wondering what the hell was up with that. I saw one in Manc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Freemen of the land seem wholly unable to understand that the government is this gigantic behemoth that can force you to comply regardless of your rules lawyering.

Which is why they keep getting tasered.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the idea is that if enough people stop being a part of that behemoth then it would lose that ability. It's the civil version of "what if they had a war but nobody showed up?" in that it might be a nice idea but it'd probably lead to something worse.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I notice the BBC omitting anything about Cameron's dad in their Panama papers story. LOOK! Iceland guy! And Putin! WOW! How about the father of the current Prime minister? I think that counts as news.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I like those legal name fraud posters they reinforce the fact that I'm living in a They Live sequel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

I notice the BBC omitting anything about Cameron's dad in their Panama papers story. LOOK! Iceland guy! And Putin! WOW! How about the father of the current Prime minister? I think that counts as news.

Only the mass-unread Independent is leading on it http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-father-and-senior-tory-figures-named-in-panama-papers-leak-a6967116.html

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Standard & Poor's "likely" to lower the UK's AAA credit rating in response to a No vote.
http://www.politico.eu/article/opinion-brexit-puts-uks-aaa-rating-at-risk-says-sp-ratings-chief/

But I don't think anyone on the 3 leave campaigns will be bothered.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cerv posted:

Standard & Poor's "likely" to lower the UK's AAA credit rating in response to a No vote.
http://www.politico.eu/article/opinion-brexit-puts-uks-aaa-rating-at-risk-says-sp-ratings-chief/

But I don't think anyone on the 3 leave campaigns will be bothered.

Yeah because people voting Leave aren't actually concerned about whether the UK will end up having a higher GDP or even the average Joe John getting a higher average salary. It's all about sticking it to the man :bahgawd:.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Number 10 have responded to queries about whether Camerons family money is in a tax haven by saying 'it's a private matter.'

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Number 10 have responded to queries about whether Camerons family money is in a tax haven by saying 'it's a private matter.'
I'll be sure to use this line next time HMRC send me a letter.

edit: also it means the answer is "yes" because they would have a lot to gain politically if they could simply say "no" and have it be true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Burn baby burn Get charged pigfucker get charged.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Saw one of these at Dover on Saturday but didn't pay much attention what with everything else going on. Had forgotten all about it till seeing your post tbh.

I wonder if they paid for the advertising space in buttcoins

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'm sure it'll turn out not to be illegal, presumably because the person who could introduce laws to make tax avoidance illegal is doing it himself. It's a shame the same rules don't apply on things that affect the 99% of the country that aren't stupidly rich (like drug laws for example).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

blowfish posted:

Burn baby burn Get charged pigfucker get charged.

Never gonna happen.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oberleutnant posted:

Saw one of these at Dover on Saturday but didn't pay much attention what with everything else going on. Had forgotten all about it till seeing your post tbh.

I wonder if they paid for the advertising space in buttcoins

they probably paid someone in buttcoins who then paid the owner of the advertising space in real money, because literally no legitimate business accepts butts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
CeX does. Although I imagine they immediately sell them and do their accounts in sterling because lol otherwise.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

CeX does. Although I imagine they immediately sell them and do their accounts in sterling because lol otherwise.

Nah, CeX use Coinbase same as everyone else. Butts go in, money comes out. They don't touch the poop.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought you were able to trade things in for bitcoin there instead of cash or store credit too, if you wanted to do such a thing. Or does Coinbase allow you to do that?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Shane McMahon came back to jump off a fifteen foot structure for no reason.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Butts go in, money comes out.

Sounds like a euphemism for "Tories get into government"

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Regarde Aduck posted:

If the Grauniad had any actual dirt on Cameron himself I'm pretty sure they would have led with it instead of having to make do with innuendo from someone who's been dead for six years.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 4, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

I thought you were able to trade things in for bitcoin there instead of cash or store credit too, if you wanted to do such a thing. Or does Coinbase allow you to do that?

wouldn't that be money laundering?

I mean what you've described is literally trading old games/phones/stolen goods for an untraceable currency held offshore, but I don't know if the British courts have bothered to figure out if Bitcoin is actually a currency. The yanks certainly consider this money laundering.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/04/panama-papers-david-cameron-father-tax-bahamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Asked if there was still any family money invested in the fund, she said: “That is a private matter.” She said the prime minister had “taken a range of action to tackle evasion and aggressive tax avoidance”.
....by other people yeah

• Locked thread