Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

nate fisher posted:

06/09 – Detroit, MI @ El Club

I wish this were in a less sketchy part of town.

Edit: poo poo top post. I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Another sick riff destroyed by lovely vocals. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Laserface posted:

Another sick riff destroyed by lovely vocals. :(

Cmon man they describe themselves as "hooker party doom" so they're actually good.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

nerve posted:

I loving hate Lo-Pan

Went to the show last night and they were so boring I went and ate dinner. Somehow perfectly timed my last bite with them ending. I don't see the appeal.

Kings Destroy was a little better. Black Cobra rules and Bongzilla was a lot of fun. Some breakers blew a few songs into their set and they went outside to smoke while it was being fixed.

Oh, and the new Graves at Sea album is really good, even though I do miss the rawer sound their earlier stuff had.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You know I thought it was a joke when I heard stories about people making GBS threads themselves at a Sunn show. Well after last night I have a feeling it is no joke. My insides were vibrating, my bowels were vibrating. It was insane, and everyone should experience it at least once. I had a friend that said it sound like a Sleep show (who I need to see live), but I can't imagine Sleep being like that.

Also lucky I got to see them in the beautiful Tennessee Theatre. Orginally it was schedule for the smaller Bijou (which seats about 700), but was moved for a larger crowd (it holds over 1,600 people).

My view of the night (it was dark and very smoky)

Also Attila came out for the finale in this (not my picture, I was about 5 rows back from the orchestra pit):

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 3, 2016

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

nate fisher posted:

You know I thought it was a joke when I heard stories about people making GBS threads themselves at a Sunn show. Well after last night I have a feeling it is no joke. My insides were vibrating, my bowels were vibrating. It was insane, and everyone should experience it at least once. I had a friend that said it sound like a Sleep show (who I need to see live), but I can't imagine Sleep being like that.

Also lucky I got to see them in the beautiful Tennessee Theatre. Orginally it was schedule for the smaller Bijou (which seats about 700), but was moved for a larger crowd (it holds over 1,600 people).

My view of the night (it was dark and very smoky)

Also Attila came out for the finale in this (not my picture, I was about 5 rows back from the orchestra pit):

gently caress gently caress gently caress I should of went. Seeing them in the Tennessee would of been the best atmosphere.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Attila looks incredible there

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I went to see Sunn with Boris like 5 years ago and loud isn't a term I would use to describe it. Half the people in the venue were just lying back on the floor, pretty surreal, defiantly agree seeing them if anyone hasn't.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
A while ago I posted about John Gallow, which I think some of the regulars here enjoyed.

One of his other bands, Blizaro, just released a new album called "Cornucopia Della Morte", and it's pretty great. It's a mix of old school Italian doom such as Paul Chain and Black Hole, Candlemass, some heavy metal, and a large dose of Goblin-esque prog rock ("Giallo" sounds like a Goblin medley). It's streaming on Bandcamp: https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/cornucopia-della-morte

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Don't know where else to post this, but for some reason Melvins' A Senile Animal hasn't been available on Spotify for the past ~6 months and it's finally back on there.

Also annual reminder that the thread has a collaborative Spotify playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/3lKAiFcn89c2IlL8EUbLwj

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=461wHc4YzsM

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.
My band SÄWZÄW is making an album, we recently posted the first song we have finished.

http://soundcloud.com/sawzawavl

We're melodic, noisy and loud. This song has a psychedelic feel too. At our last show one of the guitarists in one of the other bands said we sounded like Electric Wizard. That was a nice compliment, not sure how much I agree with him though.

Unrelated, anybody going to the Melvins/Napalm Death/Melt Banana show in Atlanta on Sunday? We're driving down from Asheville.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Caught that Bongzilla tour the other night. Can't say I was a huge fan of Lo-Pan, they weren't awful but they didn't really interest me too much. Was pretty impressed by Black Cobra, I'd never heard of them before but they played an awesome set and sounded fantastic. It was a late Sunday night show so there weren't many people there, Bongzilla hung around the crowd and watched the opening bands, got to meet Muleboy. Bongzilla's set roared, they sounded fantastic and put on a really entertaining show despite the fact that not a lot of people were there. Afterwards they invited anyone who wanted to to go smoke with them. Gave me a new appreciation for Bongzilla, I've always loved their music so it is nice to know that they're really chill, friendly dudes who obviously care about their fans. Being so close to the stage and those massive amps was one hell of an experience, they had a great sound going.

I'm curious about how a lot of these bands protect their hearing. I was wearing earplugs and it was still incredibly loud and powerful, I imagine a band like Sunn O))) would have some sort of special hearing protection? Or maybe they just go deaf :shrug:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Blast Fantasto posted:

Don't know where else to post this, but for some reason Melvins' A Senile Animal hasn't been available on Spotify for the past ~6 months and it's finally back on there.

Also annual reminder that the thread has a collaborative Spotify playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/3lKAiFcn89c2IlL8EUbLwj

Yeah I have been trying to buy that album on Amazon for about 6 mos and it finally popped up as available for MP3 purchase after only being available on CD or vinyl. :feelsgood:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

I'm curious about how a lot of these bands protect their hearing. I was wearing earplugs and it was still incredibly loud and powerful, I imagine a band like Sunn O))) would have some sort of special hearing protection? Or maybe they just go deaf :shrug:
That was something I asked Dorthia Cottrell when I went up after a Windhand show, sometime around the release of their second album, and she claimed to have pretty bad ear pains after every show. Then again, since it's Cottrell, hard to say whether she was just making a really dry joke.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

You can get high end/custom ear plugs that reduce the decibel level more than the ones most people buy. Plus the volume out in the house isn't necessarily the volume onstage. I guess this probably isn't the case if you're running a bunch of cranked high wattage amps onstage, but generally speaking you can have stage volume that's quiet enough to easily speak/shout over but be blasting the volume on the speakers pointed at the audience.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I know it's been posted in here before, but seems like a good time to repost Sunn 0)))'s stage setup.

Also, for those of you going to the Sleep show in Portland, Me, there's going to be an after show at Geno's with Churchburn and Clan of Dyad. I don't really know Clan of Dyad, but I've been listening to the Churchburn album and it's some pretty great sludgy/doomy death. Not sure if I'll go to the show since it's a bit of a drive home, but perhaps.

https://churchburn.bandcamp.com/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It looks more imposing in person:

Temples 2015, afaik the setup is basically unchanged from that 2012 diagram.

(not my pic, but the same show)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Loving Pallbearer. Last.fm isn't really turning up any good 'sounds like's' (I know that may sound poo poo) but wondering what else I should check out?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's been a few years since I last saw Sunn but I can never forget the experience. The most memorable time was I think the 2nd time I got to see them, the venue had this comfy little stool that I sat on, just shut my eyes & focused entirely on the sounds & the feeling of just letting those soundwaves rumble right through you. It was probably the perfect way to experience Sunn, though it did mean I completely missed Attila.

Only band I can think of that was anything even close to that was seeing Wolf Eyes in 2007. And maybe Monarch! but that was an order of magnitude less physical.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sludge Tank posted:

Loving Pallbearer. Last.fm isn't really turning up any good 'sounds like's' (I know that may sound poo poo) but wondering what else I should check out?

Warning - Watching From a Distance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqUo7a7J_I
40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5Wk_61iTw
Scald - Will Of The Gods Is Great Power https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uzMYp71ZYo
Reverend Bizarre - Crush The Insect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNdz3Gk_xDk
Type O Negative - World Coming Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEwrRZMLa7w
Samothrace - Life's Trade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXIx1E4Md50
Asunder - A Clarion Call https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hZGnnyByc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seconding Warning and 40 Watt Sun. Pallbearer are really the only band I know that scratch the same itch.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2016

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

forkboy84 posted:

It's been a few years since I last saw Sunn but I can never forget the experience. The most memorable time was I think the 2nd time I got to see them, the venue had this comfy little stool that I sat on, just shut my eyes & focused entirely on the sounds & the feeling of just letting those soundwaves rumble right through you. It was probably the perfect way to experience Sunn, though it did mean I completely missed Attila.

Only band I can think of that was anything even close to that was seeing Wolf Eyes in 2007. And maybe Monarch! but that was an order of magnitude less physical.

Yes I was lucky I had a nice comfy seat to relax in while the soundwaves hit me. I saw several people laid back with eyes closed, just slightly rocking back and forth. To be honest I think the experience could be lessen by standing. Also Wolf Eyes played at Big Ears this year too, but I missed them.

The band that went on before Sunn was Big Brave (they are touring with them). I think they are a good pick for their opening band. They are different enough that each band felt like a fresh experience.

Detective Thompson posted:

I know it's been posted in here before, but seems like a good time to repost Sunn 0)))'s stage setup.

The only real difference is Sunn had 5 members last weekend. They had a keyboard player (unsure exactly if it was a true keyboard, because of smoke) on the very right of the stage. He also played the trombone a couple of times.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seconding Warning and 40 Watt Sun. Pallbearer are really the only band I know that t same itch.

relationship doom

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

Khemmis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSI0Kj5aclg

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Sludge Tank posted:

Try checking out Elder, Windhand and of course, YOB. Alas, no one does it like Pallbearer.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nate fisher posted:

The only real difference is Sunn had 5 members last weekend. They had a keyboard player (unsure exactly if it was a true keyboard, because of smoke) on the very right of the stage. He also played the trombone a couple of times.

i bet there's a scrawny kid in a polo shirt on the side of the stage who's operating the macbook the music is coming from.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

nate fisher posted:

That's Steve Moore, who's played with/contributed to Earth, Goblin, Jex Thoth, and Wolves in the Throne Room. Saw him with Earth when they were playing the entirety of The Bees Made Honey-album, and he was awesome.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Steve Moore rules (so does the new Zombi record)

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

This is my buddy's band, glad to see it showing up here!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

OpaqueEcho posted:

This is my buddy's band, glad to see it showing up here!

saw em at roadburn, good stuff. say hi to your buddy, someone on the internet loves his band, hah!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Alas, no one does it like Pallbearer.

drat I must have got lucky. They played at an arts festival where i live last year and I loving loved the living poo poo out of it. Never heard of them before that or even the genre. Supported by The Body. Thanks for all the recommendations. Gone through a few so far and yeah, noone quite does it like Pallbearer.

I missed Sunn the year before at same festival. as I was at work :smithicide:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Hulk Krogan posted:

You can get high end/custom ear plugs that reduce the decibel level more than the ones most people buy. Plus the volume out in the house isn't necessarily the volume onstage. I guess this probably isn't the case if you're running a bunch of cranked high wattage amps onstage, but generally speaking you can have stage volume that's quiet enough to easily speak/shout over but be blasting the volume on the speakers pointed at the audience.

IMO the best reason for good earplugs is that they sound so so much better. Earpeace are <$20 and I'm pretty sure there are always promo codes floating around, as well as a bunch of similar competing brands.

Detective Thompson posted:

Awesome :lol:

Sunn o))), Boris, Jucifer, and Swans are definitely some of the outright loudest (and all amazing) bands I've seen.

This was a very loud show at a small venue:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChickenArise posted:

Sunn o))), Boris, Jucifer, and Swans are definitely some of the outright loudest (and all amazing) bands I've seen.
Swans and Yob here!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Beast in the Field are loud as gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Swans and Yob here!

Boris and, surprisingly, Death Grips for me

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just now getting around to the new Church of Misery album. It's a bit off-putting that there's not an incomprehensible Japanese guy on vocals but on the whole this is still Good poo poo. I doubt anyone needs to recommend Church of Misery to anyone else in this thread, but just in case you haven't listened then you should check it out.

Hypothetically I'll be at a Sunno))) show this Friday, but it intersects with a good friend of mine's last weekend in town for six months, so I don't know for sure that I'll be there yet. Next night is the Melt Banana and The Melvins (and Napalm Death but who cares amirite?) but that's in the air for the same reason as the Sunno))) show. My life is hard :negative:

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

nerve posted:

Beast in the Field are loud as gently caress

their shirts are good as hell too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Weedeater are touring Aus next month with Conan.

Where do I start with weedeater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
God Luck and Good Speed