Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Truecon420 posted:

I could use some advice ;) if anyone has a second. I finally played Morrowind 4-5 years ago up to Balmorra before I got disheartened by my terrible speech/endurance based build. I recently reinstalled in with hopes of actually getting into it, as I did really enjoy the game's quests, lore, and atmosphere my first time around. I would, however, love any graphics/engine improvement.

So my question is which overhaul should I try, OpenMW with some compatible quality of life mods, or Morroblivion? I'm not sure if I have it in me to get two playthroughs in, and I really enjoyed my playthrough of (modded) oblivion a couple years back. I wouldn't mind the loss of spears or miss chance etc. I'm also aware that these mods are not complete, I probably would want to wait another year to play them if it meant the overhauls are much more finished.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I know these posts are usually really annoying but I DID read all the OPs and whatnot and do my own research so at this point I just want to hear your thoughts/ experiences. I'm also interested in Tamriel Rebuilt, is that worth checking out this point?

I don't know what OpenMW is like now, but Morrowind Overhaul is a super convenient way to mod the hell out of Morrowind's graphics with little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'd recommend trying it with the MGSO linked above on the original engine, it's a quick and dirty way to get good graphics. OpenMW is a good option but doesn't have distant land and such which is essential, as well as a few (minor, I believe) bugs. Morroblivion misses out on a huge part of the Morrowind experience- the mods like Tamriel Rebuilt and such. I've also never tried it personally, so I can't speak to it.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'd recommend trying it with the MGSO linked above on the original engine, it's a quick and dirty way to get good graphics. OpenMW is a good option but doesn't have distant land and such which is essential, as well as a few (minor, I believe) bugs. Morroblivion misses out on a huge part of the Morrowind experience- the mods like Tamriel Rebuilt and such. I've also never tried it personally, so I can't speak to it.

Thanks guys. Ill try MGSO with Tamriel Rebuilt. Anything else I should know, or compatible mods that you recommend ?

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I'm sorry I murdered this thread with my googlable questions. I am however profusely enjoying my first play through after finally wasting money so I can actually hit this with my Long Swords. I love exploring all the areas on my way to towns. It completely feels like a living world; as someone said earlier each dungeon or cave feels exists with its own purpose independent of the player. Like it's not bandit cave #7 each has its own story to discover if you invest in it. Beautiful deep game. Thank you all for the help

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I just found out that OpenMW runs on Mac OSX. So of course my login attempts to Steam via steamcmd fail every single time. I've triple checked my login syntax, made sure I wasn't logged into my Steam client, and scoured the internet for other answers to no avail.

Anyways, I was just wondering, do any of you think I could get this to work if I just download Morrowind to my windows partition and move the files back over to the OSX partition?

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 2, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

illBilliam posted:

I just found out that OpenMW runs on Mac OSX. So of course my login attempts to Steam via steamcmd fail every single time. I've triple checked my login syntax, made sure I wasn't logged into my Steam client, and scoured the internet for other answers to no avail.

Anyways, I was just wondering, do any of you think I could get this to work if I just download Morrowind to my windows partition and move the files back over to the OSX partition?

Most likely, yes.

Edit: in fact, if the partitions just act like seperate drives, you might just be able to point the OpenMW installer at the windows files and let it do all the heavy lifting.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Agents are GO! posted:

Most likely, yes.

Edit: in fact, if the partitions just act like seperate drives, you might just be able to point the OpenMW installer at the windows files and let it do all the heavy lifting.

I did this and it worked like a charm. Then I moved the files over so I could have a little more control when modding and it still worked like a charm.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Most likely, yes.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I did this and it worked like a charm. Then I moved the files over so I could have a little more control when modding and it still worked like a charm.

Thanks to the both of you! It works perfectly.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think you might even be able to put your mods in a seperate folder altogether and have OpenMW add them in at runtime, Mod Organizer style!

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

I think you might even be able to put your mods in a seperate folder altogether and have OpenMW add them in at runtime, Mod Organizer style!

I just checked out the working mod list at the OpenMW wiki. I'm going to have to try this out.

I'm really happy about this. Last year I got Morrowind with MGSO running in Parallels but the performance was underwhelming and prone to crashing. OpenMW so far seems to be working much better not to mention more streamlined.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Considering I wanted to revisit Morrowind and having barely any recollection of the game, are there any must-have mods or is it fine to play as-is? I just had a modding orgy on skyrim and then just never got around to playing and I don't wanna repeat that. I think I'll even skip graphic mods as I doubt they'll make the game look much better. (there's only so much new textures can do) So anything important or can I just have a go at OpenMW and not really miss anything?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

Considering I wanted to revisit Morrowind and having barely any recollection of the game, are there any must-have mods or is it fine to play as-is? I just had a modding orgy on skyrim and then just never got around to playing and I don't wanna repeat that. I think I'll even skip graphic mods as I doubt they'll make the game look much better. (there's only so much new textures can do) So anything important or can I just have a go at OpenMW and not really miss anything?

better bodies

if you dont give a heck about texture mods and are using openmw that's about it

the "not openmw" route gets you MGEXE which is a lot of shaders/distant land stuff that 99% of the "graphic enhancement" comes from. OpenMW will some day have that built in, estimate 201X

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

The graphics mods make Morrowind look enormously better. Like, practically a modern game in many respects better. Better than Oblivion by a mile better. At least in my opinion. But check out some of the MGSO screens and decide for yourself. It doesn't really need much in the way of gameplay mods as far as I can tell, although stuff like Tamriel Rebuilt seems cool.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Even on a shitbox like mine you can get it running pretty smoothly and have it looking darn good to boot

This is with the watercolor retexture on top of MGSO

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Do you have a few more screenshots you could post? Preferably a bit more up close? That looks like a neat texture pack.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Is there any trick to installing MGSO and watercolored at the same time? I just reinstalled vanilla and want to have both, but I thought I read people saying they were incompatible.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ivy posted:

Is there any trick to installing MGSO and watercolored at the same time? I just reinstalled vanilla and want to have both, but I thought I read people saying they were incompatible.

Just install over top

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Watercolored after MGSO?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

ivy posted:

The trick is not to use MGSO

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I'm using OpenMW but I'd like to increase the draw distance or view distance. Does anyone know of any mode that will do this and not co flirt with OPen Mw?? Thank you

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Robot Randy posted:

Even on a shitbox like mine you can get it running pretty smoothly and have it looking darn good to boot

This is with the watercolor retexture on top of MGSO

Doesn't matter how many texture mods or shaders or de-foggers you force into this 15 year old game, if you don't use Redesigned Vivec it still looks like poo poo

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-87-14633

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Krowley posted:

Doesn't matter how many texture mods or shaders or de-foggers you force into this 15 year old game, if you don't use Redesigned Vivec it still looks like poo poo

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-87-14633

i bet even on a fairly modern machine that this mod chugs like crazy. the whole reason they ended up doing vivec as enclosed spaces was because the engine just didnt handle that much poo poo going on outdoors at once very well, and frankly the engine is bad enough that even on modern hardware that sort of thing tends to get fucky.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Open Canton mods worked great when I used them, and that was three rounds of Moore's law ago.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

I'm using OpenMW but I'd like to increase the draw distance or view distance. Does anyone know of any mode that will do this and not co flirt with OPen Mw?? Thank you

You can actually change the draw distance in an OpenMW .ini file. I don't have OpenMW installed atm so I cant check which exactly, but I think it's in the installation directory. The actual line in the file you need to change is pretty self explanatory/easy to find

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are there any packs like MGSO that work with OpenMW to pretty things up a bit? MGSO is being too lovely and unstable for me to stand. If not I'll just skim through MGSO's mod list and pick out the stuff I like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Danaru posted:

Are there any packs like MGSO that work with OpenMW to pretty things up a bit?

Nope, just grab better bodies, darknuts retextures, and maybe better clothes and you're set though.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Adding mods to OpenMW is proving to be a frustrating experience for me. Can anyone with the know-how and experience take a look at what I'm doing wrong when they get a chance please? Here is the mod installation portion of my openmw.cfg file.

code:
data="/Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Morrowind/Data Files"
data=“”/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/Better Heads v2.0””data=“”/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/
Better_Bodies_2_4-42395-2-4””
content=Morrowind.esm
content=Tribunal.esm
content=Bloodmoon.esm
I'm not sure if I'm adding too many quotes, or if the quotes are in the right place, or if my line blocking is wrong, or if the data= lines are in the wrong order, or if if if:suicide:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

illBilliam posted:

code:
data=“”/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/Better Heads v2.0””data=“”/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/Better_Bodies_2_4-42395-2-4””
I'm not sure if I'm adding too many quotes, or if the quotes are in the right place, or if my line blocking is wrong, or if the data= lines are in the wrong order, or if if if:suicide:

This line definitely doesn't look right.

code:
data="/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/Better Heads v2.0"
data="/Users/myname/Documents/Morrowind Mods/Better_Bodies_2_4-42395-2-4"
Don't use fancy word processing quote marks (“ and ”), just regular straight vertical quote marks ("); and only one of them on each side of the quoted string.

The first line looks correct:

code:
data="/Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Morrowind/Data Files"

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Thank you for that clarification Cat Mattress.

TextEdit for Mac uses RTF quotes by default and auto-changes them by default also, so I got that sorted out along with the rest of the syntax.

According to the last post in this thread, when installing mods for OpenMW on a Mac, a folder for the mods needs to be created in the same folder that the .cfg file is found. Then directions can be followed as normal. Got it working now and wow what a difference! Thanks again!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Upmarket Mango posted:

You can actually change the draw distance in an OpenMW .ini file. I don't have OpenMW installed atm so I cant check which exactly, but I think it's in the installation directory. The actual line in the file you need to change is pretty self explanatory/easy to find

This helped me a ton! Thank you so much

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
So over a vanilla Steam install, MGSO then Watercolor Retexture is the way to go? Is that all I need? Do I need to worry about anything like mod load order? Or should I just install the top 10 Nexus mods and call it a day?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

NovaLion posted:

So over a vanilla Steam install, MGSO then Watercolor Retexture is the way to go? Is that all I need? Do I need to worry about anything like mod load order? Or should I just install the top 10 Nexus mods and call it a day?

Yes. Install MGSO then Watercolor Retexture.

You can use MLOX to manage the load order. Or Wrye Mash if you know how things should be ordered and wanna do it by hand. I don't know if LOOT/BOSS have Morrowind support, but they might be alternatives to MLOX.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Aw dang I found what looks like a bona-fide OpenMW/GCDLean conflict :( Don't let NPCs cast Drain Magicka on you, your maximum magicka won't return to its original value.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would use madd leveler.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Ooh it's a known issue and there's already part of a PR solving it, this may be the thing to finally get me off my rear end to try to contribute to the project.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Reading through openmw's code and list of bugs makes you wonder how bad morrowinds original source code was. Certain bugs only exist in openmw because some vanilla scripts that would normally gently caress up the game failed to load :wtc:

e: specifically the one in the aldruhn mages guild I think where it has an activator script that activates constantly. Vanilla morrowind didn't work with the scripts poor syntax but openmw has functional code so now the script works and lags out the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

e: specifically the one in the aldruhn mages guild I think where it has an activator script that activates constantly. Vanilla morrowind didn't work with the scripts poor syntax but openmw has functional code so now the script works and lags out the game.
gently caress me i hate this game so much

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Reading through openmw's code and list of bugs makes you wonder how bad morrowinds original source code was. Certain bugs only exist in openmw because some vanilla scripts that would normally gently caress up the game failed to load :wtc:

It's its own beautiful ugly beast.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I almost forgot this thread existed
xpost from the skyrim modding thread because I'm dumb and posted it there

I signed up for TR again

do these guys actually do anything or is it all meetings and planning? they're working on heightmaps for dres land and apparently old ebonheart and almalexia aren't really closer to done than two years ago. I just want to write quests :qq:

I got in pretty late to the project but thankfully my quests still ended up in the Sacred East release. "Honor the Ancestors" which was one of the only quests to send you back up north (for some reason TR quests almost never send you more than a few feet away). Bonus points if you cringe at calling Firewatch ""Watch of Fire" which is extremely lame.

"Old Soldiers" was me recreating the sixth sense in morrowind form

I think I did an Akamora quest too but it was just delivering a report which was lame

I used to think a lot of TR quests were super lame then I replayed Skyrim and most of them were just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've finally bought Morrowind on Steam and am going through the OP to make it mod-ready. I'm trying to set the .bsa files to 2002, but how the heck does the FileDate program in the OP work? Or there a better way to change the dates on those files?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 25, 2016