Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Skeezy posted:

I bought a 6P today and I'm really glad I did because it's a very nice phone.

It's near perfect, if only it had a microsd slot, wireless charging, and OIS, then it would be the greatest phone ever made, but i'm 95% happy with it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

It's near perfect, if only it had a microsd slot, wireless charging, and OIS, then it would be the greatest phone ever made, but i'm 95% happy with it myself.

And a removable battery and a keyboard and a way to install archlinux on it and

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Your gimmick is more insufferable than cremnob's. Good job.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

RZA Encryption posted:

I think being able to charge my phone while stumbling drunk as gently caress in the middle of the night without fishing for a cable is pretty useful. Actually, not even drunk, just in total darkness.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mooktastical posted:

Your gimmick is more insufferable than cremnob's. Good job.

And yet you people seem unable to refrain from responding. Good job.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hooah posted:

Ages ago I put a website bookmark in a folder of SwipePad (you can add whatever you can to your home screen). However, I can't seem to figure out how I used to do that. I feel like it used to be in with the shortcuts. Does anyone have any idea how to do this nowadays?

Chrome, at least, has a "Send to Home Screen" option available in the menu when you have a web page open that creates a shortcut widget. I don't know how it would interact with SwipePad though (since I don't really know what SwipePad is.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I dunno gang, I bought the S7 Edge a few weeks a go and its basically the best phone I have ever had. The hype seems to be p. accurate on this one, its definitely a winner

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

docbeard posted:

Chrome, at least, has a "Send to Home Screen" option available in the menu when you have a web page open that creates a shortcut widget. I don't know how it would interact with SwipePad though (since I don't really know what SwipePad is.

Yeah, Firefox (my browser of choice) has this capability too, but there's no way to transfer it to SwipePad, which is an app that's basically an always-available launcher. I think the problem is that the bookmarks that used to be available to SwipePad were the ones in the AOSP browser, which doesn't exist anymore. Ah well, I guess I'll just keep periodically telling Facebook that no, I don't want to view my feed in their special snowflake order.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I love my 6P, but having the same phone in a 5.0" size (with qi) would be pretty good too.
Options are good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ilkhan posted:

I love my 6P, but having the same phone in a 5.0" size (with qi) would be pretty good too.
Options are good.

This would be my perfect phone. Listen to me, I've already been suckered into thinking a 5 inch phone isn't top big for me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

This would be my perfect phone. Listen to me, I've already been suckered into thinking a 5 inch phone isn't top big for me.

Could you really go back? I find my iphone 6 screen to be absurdly small for reading/watching stuff after getting used to the nexus.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

uPen posted:

Could you really go back? I find my iphone 6 screen to be absurdly small for reading/watching stuff after getting used to the nexus.

Yeah, I was surprised at how quickly I got used to my 6p. My Nexus 5 feels like a baby phone now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

broken clock opsec posted:

Aside from not getting same-day iOS releases (which you're not going to get, because Android) you're not convincing anyone that giving a smaller phone the same specs from last year's flagship isn't something Android has been doing for years.

Apple's using the internals from their current flagship for their current miniphone, though, not from their previous flagship. That's a bit novel.

Also with most Android miniphones (read: not Sony's) you're lucky if the internals were comparable with any flagship from the previous three years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apple's using the internals from their current flagship for their current miniphone, though, not from their previous flagship. That's a bit novel.

Also with most Android miniphones (read: not Sony's) you're lucky if the internals were comparable with any flagship from the previous three years.
Doesn't the SE skip the vaunted force-touch poo poo? Apple paid millions to advertise that force-touch was all the change that generation needed, and they aren't including it on the SE.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

uPen posted:

I've returned 5+ inch phones twice because of the size.

Maybe it would take me longer than two weeks to get used to it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

None of the smaller Galaxy phones have nearly equivalent specs to the top-end flagships. They certainly won't receive the same level of support as the flagships. Only Sony has really done that.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Rumor: Samsung's Galaxy S7 Mini will have the same processor options as the full-size Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, will take the iPhone SE head-on

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Hey there, I'm kind of confused by that final note on the OP so if this is in the wrong place then could someone direct me where I should post this. Anyway, the thing is that I am currently running a custom firmware on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (model number SM-N910P), but I can't update my Android version because of the KNOX security from Samsung. I want to go back to stock firmware and I took my phone to Sprint, but they told me that since I attempted to put a custom ROM on there that I voided the warranty and now I have to figure out how to take care of this myself. I attempted to use ODIN to re-flash the stock firmware that I got from here but ODIN failed when I attempted it. Could someone help me out please?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GMArcturus posted:

Hey there, I'm kind of confused by that final note on the OP so if this is in the wrong place then could someone direct me where I should post this. Anyway, the thing is that I am currently running a custom firmware on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (model number SM-N910P), but I can't update my Android version because of the KNOX security from Samsung. I want to go back to stock firmware and I took my phone to Sprint, but they told me that since I attempted to put a custom ROM on there that I voided the warranty and now I have to figure out how to take care of this myself. I attempted to use ODIN to re-flash the stock firmware that I got from here but ODIN failed when I attempted it. Could someone help me out please?

I can't help you but here is the thread you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ignoring that it's still a rumor, the second paragraph agrees with what we've been saying:

quote:

You see, historically Samsung has been one of several manufacturers to offer "Mini" variants of its flagship phones but, like many of its peers, has usually done a bad job by not only shrinking the phone, but skimping on the spec line-up too. That means slower processors, less RAM, less storage space, inferior display panels and battery cells, and a stripped-down feature set. To be honest only Sony has bothered to attempt to keep its mini devices, the Xperia Z "Compact" series, with a spec sheet as close to the flagship it is derived from as possible.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Rime posted:

Doesn't work on my carrier up here in Canada, otherwise it'd have been alright. It has worse battery life and performance than the Z3C, paradoxically. :(

How is the performance worse? I've never heard anyone complain about that before. I'm most likely to get a z5c when I finally bite the bullet but if the performance is bad I might reconsider...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

How is the 5x's GPS performance? We're looking at replacing a Nexus 5 because of the awful GPS performance (and battery life and ...), and that is a pretty attractive price now that most of the performance issues are cleared up.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the earlier help fellas, I decided on the Nexus 5x. I tried out the 6P in some stores and just didn't feel like I would get used to such a big phone, it barely fit in my coat pocket. No one had the 5x in store for some reason so I ordered one from Google directly.

Are there any decent armbands for the gym?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Grumpwagon posted:

How is the 5x's GPS performance? We're looking at replacing a Nexus 5 because of the awful GPS performance (and battery life and ...), and that is a pretty attractive price now that most of the performance issues are cleared up.

Seems okay to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I went from an iPhone 6 to 5X and honestly I don't see much difference as far as performance and battery life. The camera is better but it doesn't have auto stabilization and 60 fps hd recording but I never used the video camera function but once and it was the first day I bought it. Like everyone says forever never get non-nexus phones because the potential for bloatware bullshit is real.

Typical use-case for me is texting throughout the day (like hundreds+), listening to downloaded music via Spotify most of the day and reddit/imgur/awful/instagram here and there. I'd classify it as a mid-high usage, usually about 2-3 hours screen on time during the day.

Battery life lasts through the day (9-5 job) when I use greenify, hits about 40% when I get home. Without greenify, more like 20% because of instagram/whatsapp/facebook background bullshit. I keep the screen at about 50% brightness not because of battery life-- higher than that is uncomfortable.

I don't see issues with GPS when I use it (driving/maps) but I also generally keep it off because I'm crazy and don't want apps to log my locations and I think it affects battery life or something? Again I don't know.

Performance I've never noticed slowdown or anything and the only "issue" I've seen is that it kind of takes a couple seconds when I first turn it on to launch the keyboard. Other than that, everything is perfect. It can get hot if you do a lot of work on it but not unbearably so. The fingerprint reader gets slightly hotter than the rest of the phone.

I avoid using cellular data (project fi) and am on WiFi all day, when I use cell data the battery does slightly worse but everything else is great. Speeds and temperature are never a concern.

All in all, anyone who gets a 5X will be happy but not surprised with their phone-- it's a reliable and very capable workhorse of a phone. I've had this phone since before the march update and didn't experience problems before or after the update.

The vibration seems kind of tinny though.

TL;DR: Never get a non-nexus phone. If you don't like the bigass phones then I'd wager the 5X is perfect for pretty much everyone unless you're crazy for aluminum.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The vibration seems kind of tinny though.

Tinny? How ghastly. I prefer a more woody vibration.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Play Movies question: when I rent an HD movie on my 6P, it tells me that "this movie will play in SD on this device. You can watch this in HD on a compatible device like a Chromecast or most Android devices." What gives? I watch most of them on my TV via Chromecast anyway, but still.

Not 100% sure it happens with all rentals (I only rent when my Rewards balance allows), but it happened last night with The Hateful 8.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Are you running N?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Are there non-awful wireless charging options for the 5X or the 6P? It's phone upgrading time and I am sick to death of cables. Not going to be a dealbreaker but will definitely be a tiebreaker.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are there non-awful wireless charging options for the 5X or the 6P? It's phone upgrading time and I am sick to death of cables. Not going to be a dealbreaker but will definitely be a tiebreaker.
Moving to USB-C makes cables a lot less hassle, for what it's worth. But the answer to your actual question is no. I've not even seen any of those weird case things for them (not that I've looked, mind).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Are you running N?

Nope, 100% bone stock. Never even rooted. Up to date to March 1st.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Moving to USB-C makes cables a lot less hassle, for what it's worth. But the answer to your actual question is no. I've not even seen any of those weird case things for them (not that I've looked, mind).
I never had a problem plugging micro-USB in the right way, I just hate plugging in cables. I plug my 6P in when I get home and use my 5 as a home phone/alarm since I can still wirelessly charge it on my nightstand.

They really need to bring wireless charging back to the Nexus line.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tunga posted:

I didn't actually know they used different cables! Most of my trouble has been with microUSB being persnickety, though I do have a bit of general hatred for cables.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

They really need to bring wireless charging back to the Nexus line.

What really turned me off about them leaving it off is that it's such a gently caress you to the buyer. I mean, you're already screwed out of using all your old charging cables due to the switch to USB-C, so it's already kind of lovely for the user but then they leave out QuickCharge compatibility AND Qi charging? Even those here who aren't on the wireless charging bandwagon say that the reason they don't care is because they have QuickCharge. It's not like including either would've been difficult or costly and the lack of either is a tangible drawback to anyone invested in either. It's also not like the Nexus line has sold in such quantities that it wouldn't be noticed by the people who do buy them. The omission of features that buyers had come to expect is disappointing given the already-burdensome switch to USB-C and just strikes me as needlessly user-hostile.

Oh well, maybe they'll win me back in November. (Of course they will, what choice will I have given the age of my Nexus 5?)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm sure its just wishful thinking, but I thought it had to do with a metal body not being good for inductive charging?

I'm sure it'll switch back in the next revision, you know, just after you sell all your QI pads.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I stayed true to Sundars vision and got my phone through Fi. They sent me 3 usb-c cables. One with the phone and the rapid charging wall wart, one with my Fi sim, and one with the :iamafag: Legos. Needs fully suited, bless you Sundar.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What really turned me off about them leaving it off is that it's such a gently caress you to the buyer. I mean, you're already screwed out of using all your old charging cables due to the switch to USB-C, so it's already kind of lovely for the user but then they leave out QuickCharge compatibility AND Qi charging?
How much faster is QuickCharge compared to regular USB-C? My 6P charges pretty fast, subjectively speaking, certainly faster than micro-USB.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tunga posted:

How much faster is QuickCharge compared to regular USB-C? My 6P charges pretty fast, subjectively speaking, certainly faster than micro-USB.

A billion times faster. It's epic. My 6P lasts 2 days on 1 charge and goes from sub 15% to full in like a half hour or something. it's epic, and for the win.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

A billion times faster. It's epic. My 6P lasts 2 days on 1 charge and goes from sub 15% to full in like a half hour or something. it's epic, and for the win.
The 6P doesn't have QuickCharge. Are you talking about some other device?

(You're not, because you're Smythe.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

No idea but the point would be more that it is incompatible with existing QuickChargers than that it does not charge fast enough on dedicated USB-C chargers which for most intents and purposes do not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

How much faster is QuickCharge compared to regular USB-C?

Noticeably. Mostly when the battery is really low.

I put my MXP on charge at the same time as my Nexus 5x. MXP was at 34% and the Nexus 5x was at 63%. The MXP beat the 5x to full charge by about 10 min despite starting lower and having a larger battery.

It really comes down to 18w vs 15w when the battery is really low. That's a 20% faster charge rate when it can use the maximum. QC 2.0 also uses more communication feedback to try to keep the charge rate as high as possible. QC 3.0 goes a step further and makes the power output VERY granular to keep riding the curve of a safe charge rate closer.

USB C (well, with the implementation that's on the phones) can charge at 15w and 7.5w. Without steps in-between, the phone has to back off the charging rate to a much lower level sooner when there would be a level higher than 7.5 and lower than 15 that would still be safe. The granularity of power output with QC is where it really pulls ahead. Even in 2.0, there are many levels of charging.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2016