Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

jassi007 posted:

When you say combo, do you mean a type of instant win combo that there are additional cards involved? or do you mean "these two cards that combine to become a grindy attrition engine that gets wrecked by abrupt decay instantly."

If the latter I'm pretty sure Infect is the better combo :tem:

that said i'm hoping thopter sword ends up good b/c i don't have jund money and tron is largely dead now

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jenx posted:

See, I figured it's probably cardmarket stuff, but that still begs the question - how do you generally go about it? Like, if you have an Abrupt Decay that's excellent condition and in english you just search for the lowest offer on there meeting that criteria and go with that?

The few times I've done it, I check the lowest, barring any outliers. So if there are a bunch of Bobs at 30, and one at 28, 30 is what I'd call it.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Thopter/Sword could be a good fit in a Grixis shell.

Also, what decks actually want Ancestral Vision, other than whatever deck Thopter/Sword ends up in? U/W control I guess, if that continues to be a thing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Does thopter foundry/sword of the meek fit in a bad faeries deck? Damnation instead of wrath.

Not really because the combo doesn't really have synergy with the rest of the deck. the old extended lists could take advantage of synergy with explosives, ruins, tezzeret, and thirst at which point there isn't really a faeries deck left.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Count Bleck posted:

We should start figuring out how we're going to play Thopter Sword, and in what colors.

Esper or U W/B?

Can we get away with just UW? It loses Agent of Bolas but it doesn't seem like there's much in black this kind of deck wants.

I'm going to start with esper. Black gives you Inquisition/thoughtseize, surgical/split second surgical, executioner's capsule, liliana

Edit: I'm also going to play thirst for knowledge over ancestral vision.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

I'm going to start with esper. Black gives you Inquisition/thoughtseize, surgical/split second surgical, executioner's capsule, liliana

Edit: I'm also going to play thirst for knowledge over ancestral vision.

Please don't remind me that those cards all exist, thanks. :sigh:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sickening posted:

I thought the sarcasm was obvious but goons say things like this. :wtc:

Yep, I didn't notice any sarcasm or humor. :) I don't follow MtG social media very closely so it's possible I don't know an in-joke or something.

This BR update is awesome! I'm excited to see if Thopter Sword is good enough to enable control. Also for the person who asked, Lodestone Golem is the second creature restricted in Vintage. Ali from Cairo was the first. However AFC was restricted at the start of the format, so this is the first time the BR update has been used to add a creature.

Rukh Egg was also restricted back when it was just Magic before types one and two.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Hahahaha the cheapest Sword of the Meek on TCGPlayer is $22

Good B&R update, still gently caress modern.

Edit: Thopter Foundry remains $0.25 why, Magic players, why

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Good B&R update, although I wish I had picked up a few Visions now.

I've been tinkering with a casual Gifts Loam deck recently, and I can't wait to throw a copy of Sword/Foundry into the deck to have even more durdly 2-card interactions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stinkles1112 posted:

Hahahaha the cheapest Sword of the Meek on TCGPlayer is $22

Good B&R update, still gently caress modern.

Dont' be mad at people buying up sword of the meek, be disgusted at the folks who are trying to buy up all the thopter foundries. The dumb things people will do for the smallest of margins.

Idiots.

Also, it appears that SCG had been upping their buylist of Ancestral Vision the past few weeks. Its good to have the inside track.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 4, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

stinkles1112 posted:

Edit: Thopter Foundry remains $0.25 why, Magic players, why

It was reprinted in a 2013(?) Commander deck IIRC

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

UberJew posted:

If the latter I'm pretty sure Infect is the better combo :tem:

that said i'm hoping thopter sword ends up good b/c i don't have jund money and tron is largely dead now

This is super funny because the prices of a UB or UW or Esper is going to be crazy expensive. I'd guess right now that the deck is at least $1200 with shocks, fetches, planeswalkers, cryptics, remands, etc. If it runs liliana thoughtseize inquisition cryptic it'll be close to Jund priced.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Molybdenum posted:

Welding Jar and academy ruins both get the foundry back and you've still got the blockers.

Edit: versus abrupt decay I mean

Jund runs scooze. Good luck getting that sword back from your GY.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Glad I've had my mana base for Esper Mill for a couple years now! :shepface:

In all seriousness though I think it's interesting to note that the ban list actually got smaller with this update. How often does that happen?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Dont' be mad at people buying up sword of the meek, be disgusted at the folks who are trying to buy up all the thopter foundries. The dumb things people will do for the smallest of margins.

Idiots.

I'm mostly butthurt because Thopter tokens are the best thing ever included in the game of magic the gathering and this getting unbanned really really makes me want to break into modern for the first time but I'll be goddamned if I'm spending 1000 dollars or whatever to play a tier 2 combo deck.

I'm really, really kicking myself for selling off my old fetches and shocks years ago :smith:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

jassi007 posted:

This is super funny because the prices of a UB or UW or Esper is going to be crazy expensive. I'd guess right now that the deck is at least $1200 with shocks, fetches, planeswalkers, cryptics, remands, etc. If it runs liliana thoughtseize inquisition cryptic it'll be close to Jund priced.

ah but you see, i already have shocks, fetches, cryptics and remands while i do not have tarmogoyfs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gonna recommend people look at Shouta Yasooka's (that's the spelling, right?) UB Tezzeret deck from a GP 2 or so years ago to get an idea of what the deck will probably look like

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is like when Bitterblossom got unbanned but it's dumber because this is an uncommon that's been reprinted

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

This is like when Bitterblossom got unbanned but it's dumber because this is an uncommon that's been reprinted

But Sword of the Meek has never been reprinted?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GonSmithe posted:

Yep.

Knew Eye as going the axe and it was the right card to ban, but it still sucks. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sword of the Meek is 25-30 now :laffo:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Lodestone Golem is now the only creature on the Vintage Restricted List. Has there ever been a creature on there before?

Ali from Cairo for one. There's another that I forget.

Sickening posted:

Also, it appears that SCG had been upping their buylist of Ancestral Vision the past few weeks. Its good to have the inside track.

Or to have a modicum of intelligence so you could figure out that this was coming.

jassi007 posted:

Jund runs scooze. Good luck getting that sword back from your GY.

And people are going to have to learn how the Thopter Sword combo works all over again! Or they'll keep saying things like this. :shrug:

Well it looks like I'm done with this game. WotC is apparently ok with prison and combo being the only viable archetypes in modern, Storm being the only viable deck in vintage, and legacy has sucked for a while.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

And people are going to have to learn how the Thopter Sword combo works all over again! Or they'll keep saying things like this. :shrug:

Can you elaborate for us dummies that never played Extended?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The few times I've played against it they've had multiple activations of Thopter Foundry ready to be put on the stack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

Can you elaborate for us dummies that never played Extended?

You sac your Sword, they try to eat it with Scooze. In response you sac something else. Basically as long as you have spare mana and an artifact you don't need, you're fine. It's not going to beat them always holding up 3 green mana, but if they're doing that you're probably going to win regardless.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thopter Sword was a combo founded on being incredibly resilient.

Granted, in Extended it also had the Artifact Lands, but there's plenty of cheap Artifacts you can play in Modern.

Like Opal, or Welding Jar, etc.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

Granted, in Extended it also had the Artifact Lands, but there's plenty of cheap Artifacts you can play in Modern.

there's far more relevant disruption available now than there was then, as well

i suspect jund will have enough abrupt decays and kolaghan's commands to have a very good game 1

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

And before Kolaghan's Command and Decay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
rest in peace is a card that shuts down the combo that didn't exist back then

also stony silence

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Or to have a modicum of intelligence so you could figure out that this was coming.

:wtc:

suicidesteve posted:

Well it looks like I'm done with this game. WotC is apparently ok with prison and combo being the only viable archetypes in modern, Storm being the only viable deck in vintage, and legacy has sucked for a while.

I truly hope you are done with magic forever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

And before Kolaghan's Command and Decay.

UberJew posted:

there's far more relevant disruption available now than there was then, as well

i suspect jund will have enough abrupt decays and kolaghan's commands to have a very good game 1

Yeah, there's a lot more "gently caress Artifact" spells in modern than there were when Extended existed.

It'll probably shake the format up at least a little bit.

Also, deck's fun as gently caress so who cares

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Abrupt Decay and Kolaghan's Command don't hurt the deck too much since academy ruins is already a pretty key component.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Abrupt Decay and Kolaghan's Command don't hurt the deck too much since academy ruins is already a pretty key component.

I really don't wanna have to buy 3 more but I guess I don't have a choice.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Count Bleck posted:

But Sword of the Meek has never been reprinted?

My bad I thought it was in a Commander set.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I really don't wanna have to buy 3 more but I guess I don't have a choice.

3 more of what?

I hope you don't mean 3 more academy ruins. That seems like a bad move.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

rest in peace is a card that shuts down the combo that didn't exist back then

also stony silence

Leylines of the void.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Leylines of the void.

at 4 cmc you'd be hard-pressed to get it out before they had it online and mulling for it against a deck that also had a tezzeret 1.0 + artifact engine seems like a bad plan.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

at 4 cmc you'd be hard-pressed to get it out before they had it online and mulling for it against a deck that also had a tezzeret 1.0 + artifact engine seems like a bad plan.

Leyline of the void is already in the sideboard of a few decks for other graveyard based strategies and just like the other leyline cards, it has text I believe you totally skipped over.

I am actually confused how someone could play modern and not know what leylines do that this point.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

3 more of what?

I hope you don't mean 3 more academy ruins. That seems like a bad move.

How does it get Ruins reliably then? Map?

I'm guessing Map.

• Locked thread