Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

KoB posted:

I hope they keep the emphasis on sick axes and maces and chainsaw things instead of dumb beamspam like every other gundam.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, ratings-wise IBO is absolutely bottom barrel. It's not like G-Reco or BF where it was in a bad timeslot either, it's just doing awful. I hear part of it was due to parental moral outrage since it's in a kid's timeslot, and you could argue that people are watching it online instead, but those are kind of just sidestepping the point.

It doesn't really matter that much anyways, since all that's really important are the gunpla sales and the BDs. Which as far as we know, are doing about average for Gundam series nowadays. But the show itself just bombed on the networks. It would actually be impressive if S2 managed to make the ratings go lower.

That's a shame to hear since I thought this was one of the better anime series/seasons I've watched in awhile.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

KoB posted:

I hope they keep the emphasis on sick axes and maces and chainsaw things instead of dumb beamspam like every other gundam.

I agree with this but I do kind of hope there's some ancient beam weapon or other in the S2 finale.

edit: That is, not beam spam but some singular beam weapon just murdering everything left, right and center.

Maybe just a beam saber or something.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Hope they do a less kiddy timeslot to try to find its audience.

I'm gonna concur that I'm happy none of our three waifus died since I like those characters but the story is definitely worse for it.

Going into the finale thinking Ein iced at least two, maybe three characters we cared about (and without telegraphing like the last one) made Ein an incredibly dangerous and detestable villain. Once you know they're fine, Ein immediately feels so toothless in comparison, in spite of how easily he shut them down. The stakes just seem to topple after that and sets a pretty "safe" tone for next season. IBO flirts with being a more serious series with real consequences but refuses to stay that course and I think it's weaker for it. I love IBO and I'm good with shows where the main cast are invincible, but it seems like it struggles with its identity.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'll take Ein feeling toothless a million times into infinity over his teeth emerging from brutalizing some women if those are the only options presented.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'll take Ein feeling toothless a million times into infinity over his teeth emerging from brutalizing some women if those are the only options presented.
Definitely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I sort of feel like they could have killed off Azee and left Lafter and Norba alive and well. She felt the most definitely dead of the three, and didn't have a character arc set up or a particular narrative presence. Could have killed Ride, too, just to balance things out and provide a sinister echo of the first episode.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope we don't get beam sabers if just because the show has been good about making the physicality of combat an issue with people getting injured just from being attacked. (Except... Einborg but we've already expressed that.) It gives the show's combat a distinctive weight and having beam weapons that penetrate armor would lose that.

All that is well and good and true (I agree, the brutality they displayed that would have been lost with beam weapons is real), even in Turn A it took him almost half the show to find the beam saber. The Gundams are themselves already superior suits, that they've come with 0 superior weaponry is sorta odd for me.

I won't actually decry the lack of beam weapons, only that I was sorta surprised at least one of them didn't show up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fortunately they're not the only options provided as Shino was right there and also survived inexplicably despite being the guy who was Ein's #1 target.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

All that is well and good and true (I agree, the brutality they displayed that would have been lost with beam weapons is real), even in Turn A it took him almost half the show to find the beam saber. The Gundams are themselves already superior suits, that they've come with 0 superior weaponry is sorta odd for me.

I won't actually decry the lack of beam weapons, only that I was sorta surprised at least one of them didn't show up.

The Gundams do have special, superior weaponry - their twin reactors make them super-strong, and let them effortlessly wield weapons that other suits could barely even lift. The Kimaris's lance, the Gusion's hammer, and the Barbatos's... everything are all part of what make them so especially dangerous.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know if the Grimgerde, as a limited production Valkyrie Frame, is supposed to have equivalent output to a Gundam Frame but McGillis definitely chucked the Kimaris lance at Gaelio like it was no thang

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Plot strength

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

I don't know if the Grimgerde, as a limited production Valkyrie Frame, is supposed to have equivalent output to a Gundam Frame but McGillis definitely chucked the Kimaris lance at Gaelio like it was no thang

The Grimgerde's thing is having an insane power-to-weight ratio. It only has one Ahab reactor, but it's made of the lightest, toughest materials possible. Hence those special golden swords.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having beam weapons exist for the first time would lead to a lot of neat questions, since enemies to this point have been puddles of body parts inside cockpits. The reaction of someone seeing a beam evaporate all essence is incredibly different..

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KoB posted:

As long as Mika remembers to recover his discarded weapons in season 2. Seriously, he dumped like what, 5-6 maces throughout the show? Pick up your junk and recycle them, for crying out loud!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

even in Turn A it took him almost half the show to find the beam saber.

Sochie found the beam sabers like 8 or 10 episodes in and Loran uses them extensively after that point. It's another 10 episodes or so before he's given a permanent beam rifle and shield. It's definitely not even closes to half the show though. Turn-A Gundam's thing was that as the Moonrace used more threatening suits and weaponry Loran and company found new systems in the Turn-A that allowed it to keep up throughout the entire show, to the point it was keeping up with the Turn-X and Bandit in the last 6 or so episodes because they found out about the Moonlight Butterfly, which gave the suit a lot of mystique since it had it's own history and stories that surrounded it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Beam sabers are played out, keep giving me giant axes and increasingly improvised bludgeoning instruments.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not seeing how an anime from Japan is going to upgrade past Hanzo Steel for a protagonist weapon now that Mika has learned to wield it without resorting to beam sabers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Holy poo poo in the dub for Char's Counterattack they pronounce Titans "tee-TAHNs"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's the official way to say it, oddly enough. it's one of those thigns i'd be fine with changing in the official translations, along with changing psycommu to psycom

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Beam weapons arent a thing at all in IBO, and its the better for it. You see those dual-sided magazines on the rifles? One side's for catching ejected shells so they arent littering space with junk like Mika keeps doing :argh:.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Mika should find all of his maces and tie them all together and wield the resulting abomination like a flail

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

With all of Ein going on about educating and punishing, did he delibrately not kill so he could well torture them or something? With the precision given to him by becoming a sack of meat inside a tank level of AV he clearly was doing so with Ride and the Ryusei Graze before being distracted by Kudelia. In other words he wanted to savor it and take his time because they couldn't stop him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

With all of Ein going on about educating and punishing, did he delibrately not kill so he could well torture them or something? With the precision given to him by becoming a sack of meat inside a tank level of AV he clearly was doing so with Ride and the Ryusei Graze before being distracted by Kudelia. In other words he wanted to savor it and take his time because they couldn't stop him.

I don't think that was torture - that was Yamagi's good-luck charm working. When he first saw the Ryusei-Go, Ein freaked out about its garish colour scheme desecrating his superior officer's memory, and went for headshots (to get rid of those silly-looking eyes) rather than cockpit-shots both times they fought.

He told Norba they might save his life. :3:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
They way I see it Ein-head was so pumped full of weird drugs, who knows what he really intended to do.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Welp if my 3 most recent posts have shown me anything I can't hang in ADTRW anymore.

My final hot take is that IBO is good and easily one of the best AU gundam stories (we'll see if they temper that with a lack luster second season like 00 or not).

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think that was torture - that was Yamagi's good-luck charm working. When he first saw the Ryusei-Go, Ein freaked out about its garish colour scheme desecrating his superior officer's memory, and went for headshots (to get rid of those silly-looking eyes) rather than cockpit-shots both times they fought.

He told Norba they might save his life. :3:

This... Is actually really cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I just realized that Naze and Fellini from GBF look kind of similar and they both play similar roles in the story. Does that mean that Naze accrued the members of his harem by gifting them small plastic models?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Mordja posted:

So I just realized that Naze and Fellini from GBF look kind of similar and they both play similar roles in the story. Does that mean that Naze accrued the members of his harem by gifting them small plastic models?

Guy is a blood brother of the cannoli yakuza, thus he probably was able to gift them 1/1 scale Hyakuren.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I finished this recently, and I really hope they don't end up with as bad a second season of 00 or Seed Destiny. I suppose it helps that Gjallahorn were already basically acting like the Titans so they probably won't rehash that again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So apparently there was an article in Newtype magazine saying that the original plans for IBO were fairly different from what we got, and that:

Newtype Magazine posted:

Eugene betrays Tekkadan at beginning
Naze betrays Tekkadan in original story
People don't have faith in Tekkadan because they're amoral mercenaries
Kudelia gets stigmatized for associating with them
Story shows more of how wrong they can be
Ein is not final boss
S1 ends with Tekkadan suffering great losses.

While I'm glad Eugene didn't betray Tekkadan since it'd be too obvious and expected given his attitude during the beginning and pre-release material, I like the rest of it and wish we'd gotten that instead since I found a lot of the show kind of boring. Yea, Naze betraying them would be obvious too, but as is he's just kind of dull and there. Plus, I like the idea of Orga struggling with both that betrayal and having to be an older brother without any kind of role model.

The source is 4chan though, so take with a metric fuckton of doubt. There are some pics of the article, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Edit: Ignore this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

So apparently there was an article in Newtype magazine saying that the original plans for IBO were fairly different from what we got, and that:

While I'm glad Eugene didn't betray Tekkadan since it'd be too obvious and expected given his attitude during the beginning and pre-release material, I like the rest of it and wish we'd gotten that instead since I found a lot of the show kind of boring. Yea, Naze betraying them would be obvious too, but as is he's just kind of dull and there. Plus, I like the idea of Orga struggling with both that betrayal and having to be an older brother without any kind of role model.

The source is 4chan though, so take with a metric fuckton of doubt. There are some pics of the article, but that doesn't mean it's true.

I'd like to see the actual source but at very least that sounds plausible to me because basically all of that was foreshadowed and never happened.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, the /m/ thread is at this page and it has pics of both the cover and article. Without knowing Japanese there's no way to confirm it though, and you may need the full, actual article to do so. It's all that's there so far though. And yea, it sounds plausible, which is why I posted it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It sounds like a mix of things, that should have been emphasized and a mix of things that were probably removed just so it wasn't just a non-ending misery-fest. It definitely felt like the end of what we got was supposed to be somewhat darker and was supposed to end with Tekkadan taking more losses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have to wonder if the early parental complaints were the reason why.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's an interesting list in some ways, but some of them would require some pretty heavy story rewrites.

-Eugene Betrays Tekkadan
I don't really get the purpose of this one. Who would he betray them to? Gjallarhorn, I guess? He's a dumb punk kid with no leverage or goals, so this would devolve into him becoming a villain of the day because Gjallarhorn or whoever he betrayed them to wouldn't bother keeping him around. Him sticking around to have some fun interactions, a little bit of growth, and some really cool hero moments despite not being a super elite pilot are worth way more than a cheap drama shot.

-Naze Betrays Tekkadan
This one has some potential narrative legs and would make Naze a lot more interesting as a character, especially if it involved some Unrest In The House Of Turbines with some of the Turbine ladies having to choose between backstabbing a bunch of kids that they've grown fond of or turning against ~Darling~. It's pretty easy to see how this would be set up, too; hell, I expected this story beat to be happening when the Dort stuff happened because I assumed that Nobliss had bought Naze off to switch the cargo.

-People don't have faith in Tekkadan because they're amoral mercenaries/stigmatizing Kudelia because of Tekkadan
This one is kind of dumb. Tekkadan are explicitly not amoral mercenaries because they do a lot of things that are stupid for the sake of honor/pride/loyalty; if they were amoral, they would have taken Hitler's advice at the start, sold Kudelia to Gjallarhorn for fat stacks, and went on to become CGS 2.0. Similarly, Tekkadan reflecting badly on Kudelia would require them to be implicated in some seriously bad poo poo; they're her security company/bodyguards, and it's really obvious given events that she was totally justified in hiring them because lots of people were actively trying to kill/kidnap her on a pretty constant basis.

-Story shows more of how wrong they can be
This is kind of the blue balls of season 1, really. They had a really great buildup about how Tekkadan had started making choices for the wrong reasons and were going down a bad path, but they kind of pulled up at the last minute so we have awkward scenes like "Haha, at least they can still be kids!" while arguing about who has to tell the little girls that their brothers are dead in a joking manner.

-Ein is not final boss
This is a really easy sell, since it could have simply have been Gaelio instead with minimal fuss or rewrites. Ein munching his way through the other pilots before finally being stopped by Akihiro or something while Mika has a final clash with Gaelio is a pretty easy switch.

-S1 ends with Tekkadan taking great losses
They almost did this! The problem was that they pussied out on having anyone with a name be killed or debilitatingly injured in the finale, as we've complained about in the thread a whole lot. Tekkadan did take massive losses, it just doesn't come off that way at all because all of the losses were nameless kids and Biscuit instead of characters we actually spent any time with. My strong suspicion is that they sketched out the final conflict before they were 100% certain about whether or not they'd have an S2 and then pulled back on some of the megadeath once it was greenlit.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 11, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

It's an interesting list in some ways, but some of them would require some pretty heavy story rewrites.

-Eugene Betrays Tekkadan
I don't really get the purpose of this one. Who would he betray them to? Gjallarhorn, I guess? He's a dumb punk kid with no leverage or goals, so this would devolve into him becoming a villain of the day because Gjallarhorn or whoever he betrayed them to wouldn't bother keeping him around. Him sticking around to have some fun interactions, a little bit of growth, and some really cool hero moments despite not being a super elite pilot are worth way more than a cheap drama shot.

-Naze Betrays Tekkadan
This one has some potential narrative legs and would make Naze a lot more interesting as a character, especially if it involved some Unrest In The House Of Turbines with some of the Turbine ladies having to choose between backstabbing a bunch of kids that they've grown fond of or turning against ~Darling~. It's pretty easy to see how this would be set up, too; hell, I expected this story beat to be happening when the Dort stuff happened because I assumed that Nobliss had bought Naze off to switch the cargo.

-People don't have faith in Tekkadan because they're amoral mercenaries/stigmatizing Kudelia because of Tekkadan
This one is kind of dumb. Tekkadan are explicitly not amoral mercenaries because they do a lot of things that are stupid for the sake of honor/pride/loyalty; if they were amoral, they would have taken Hitler's advice at the start, sold Kudelia to Gjallarhorn for fat stacks, and went on to become CGS 2.0. Similarly, Tekkadan reflecting badly on Kudelia would require them to be implicated in some seriously bad poo poo; they're her security company/bodyguards, and it's really obvious given events that she was totally justified in hiring them because lots of people were actively trying to kill/kidnap her on a pretty constant basis.

-Story shows more of how wrong they can be
This is kind of the blue balls of season 1, really. They had a really great buildup about how Tekkadan had started making choices for the wrong reasons and were going down a bad path, but they kind of pulled up at the last minute so we have awkward scenes like "Haha, at least they can still be kids!" while arguing about who has to tell the little girls that their brothers are dead in a joking manner.

-Ein is not final boss
This is a really easy sell, since it could have simply have been Gaelio instead with minimal fuss or rewrites. Ein munching his way through the other pilots before finally being stopped by Akihiro or something while Mika has a final clash with Gaelio is a pretty easy switch.

-S1 ends with Tekkadan taking great losses
They almost did this! The problem was that they pussied out on having anyone with a name be killed or debilitatingly injured in the finale, as we've complained about in the thread a whole lot. Tekkadan did take massive losses, it just doesn't come off that way at all because all of the losses were nameless kids and Biscuit instead of characters we actually spent any time with. My strong suspicion is that they sketched out the final conflict before they were 100% certain about whether or not they'd have an S2 and then pulled back on some of the megadeath once it was greenlit.

I'd wager Gaelios got switched for a much more emotional faceoff with McGillis, Eugene's betrayal was rewritten to Not-Hitler, and Naze became a handwave to keep Tekkadan supplied with upgrades (like the heavy Mobile Worker squad popping up at the end).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

-Eugene Betrays Tekkadan

Honestly, given his performance, I'd say Eugene is a pretty elite pilot. He's just not a mobile suit pilot.

He got the nod from Orga as the one guy who could get a mobile worker in position, he lead the cavalry charge at the end, and he controlled two ships at once with his A.V. system, which was shown to be very, very difficult.

I liked that, honestly. The show had people with a variety of talents, instead of just going with "Can you fly a Gundam? Y/N" as the be-all, end-all of utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I can see them having gone that direction with Eugene, they just would've had to play up the angle where he used to be the leader of the CGS child soldiers before Orga came around.

• Locked thread