Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That looks perfect!

Thank you so much! You were waaaaaay more helpful than I had hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used the Asus T100 or similar device? I'm looking for something as small and cheap as possible to take on a trip where I might be in some sketchy places with a minimum amount of cargo. I have a Nexus7 clone already but keyboard-less Android doesn't really cut it for anything more than browsing cat pics, although I wouldn't need a powerhouse either.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have the tf101 which is the android version and like it, the keyboard is very handy and the way the hinge is designed allows you to adjust the screen like a laptop rather than in staggered positions. it's decent enough for posting/browsing/document editing but it can't really play games. 720 and up video can stutter on it

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
So if I want to buy a new Windows tablet and don't mind spending actual money, my best bets are the Surface 4 or that HP Spectre or whatever that they just released right? I enjoy using Windows tablets but goddamn I can't stand my first gen Acer W510's performance anymore.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Without having looked closely at the Spectre, I'd just go for a SP4 and call it good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm seriously not sure what is the appropriate thread to ask this in, but what is the accepted ppi threshhold for reading magazines and comics and poo poo like that? I ask because I'm interested in eventually getting a bigger tablet, but the gamut basically has 2 points- Low res for 200, or high res for 500. It's not worth 500 to me to have what is essentially a color Kindle, but I could see 200 or so for a 10 or 12 inch screen.

Maybe I should be going for a cheap Windows tablet or something, I dunno. I know Android has the apps I want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, the original iPad was 132 DPI and was pretty bad for that (I had an iPad 2, and had to constantly zoom in to read comic panels). I'd say 250 DPI is probably about the threshold for a 10" tablet (10" iPads are 264 dpi). Probably 300ish for 7-8".

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well, I'm selling a laptop and I would like a tablet because frankly I don't use my laptop for poo poo. However, I love taking hand-written notes in OneNote. So assuming my laptop sells, I would like something with

An active stylus
High battery life
Lightweight
Typing doesn't matter at all
Preferably durable enough that I don't need a grotesque-rear end otterbox to protect it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Well, I'm selling a laptop and I would like a tablet because frankly I don't use my laptop for poo poo. However, I love taking hand-written notes in OneNote. So assuming my laptop sells, I would like something with

An active stylus
High battery life
Lightweight
Preferably durable enough that I don't need a grotesque-rear end otterbox to protect it

I am in the exact same boat as you. I have decided to go with a iPad Pro 13". Ordered it last night, so we'll have to compare notes.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

signalnoise posted:

An active stylus
High battery life
Lightweight

Seconding the iPad Pro suggestion if handwritten notes are all you're after. Alternatives would be the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 4, but Windows isn't as suited for touch controls as the iPads, and getting the type cover would be a waste if you're almost never going to use it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What are people's thoughts on the Surface Pro 4? My situation is that my wife and I are about to head off travelling indefinitely, for a period of at least several years if not longer, and we aren't really planning on settling anywhere for a serious length of time (this may change at some point but as of now it's unlikely). And when we travel, we travel light - we're both intending to take a single carry-on bag each and that's it.

So basically I'm looking for an ultra-light computer I can bring with me, and from what I've seen the Surface Pro fits the bill most closely.

My usage will be mostly:
- web browsing
- downloading footage from GoPro and iPhone then light video editing as we'll be doing video blogging
- gaming during downtime (I'm not expecting to run Witcher 3 or anything, but the junk freemium games that have conquered the mobile market have 0 appeal to me)
- watching videos/TV
- managing my iPhone on occasion eg backups, adding music etc

What do people think? Seems like the mid-range Surface Pro 4 would be a perfect fit?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The SP4 sounds about perfect for that use case. You get full PC features in a very compact package.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, and if it's the only computer, I might even spring for the extended warranty. Normally I would never suggest it, but it's a necessity v cost calculation.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

~weirdly similar usage scenario~

I was also just thinking about the pros/cons of a Surface Pro 4.

I recently got a home NAS which offloaded most of the work my old PC was doing. Since family life has consumed my old gaming habit, my needs for a full PC have diminished to the point of irrelevance.

However, I'm not a laptop person but I still need something with access to a file system. I'd have probably gone with an iPad Pro without blinking except for the whole file system issue. Also, there may be occasional bouts of working from home so something that can work with typical enterprise vpn/remote computing is essential.

I haven't really heard anything about the Surface line since maybe the Pro 2. Did two further hardware revisions and Windows 10 make it compelling? Is it really a fully featured PC in a tablet?

Edit: guess I'll just read up the anandtech review in the OP.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 4, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I loved my SP3. It easily kept me through a deployment and was starting to take over non-gaming work at home. I sold it because it was right before the SP4 announcement when prices were going to crash, and I needed the funds for a car project. The only thing it couldn't do for me, really, was SolidWorks, but I believe the SP4 or Surface Book is powerful enough for that, now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My experience is with the SP3 but the SP4 shouldn't be significantly different - it'll handle most productivity tasks with no issues, gaming can be wonky because it's got a crazy native resolution that either the game doesn't support, results in the GPU struggling to keep up at native, or doesn't scale properly when you play at a different resolution. They may have improved on the last with the SP4 and/or Win10/drivers. The CPU will sometimes end up turboing unnecessarily causing the tablet to get hot and run the fans at full speed, this can be mitigated by paying attention to what apps are causing it but there isn't much you can do besides switching to a new app. You may want to close desktop apps that aren't being actively used because they can drain your battery with unnecessary CPU usage if it's an older app that was not designed to suspend itself when idle.

Overall it's a great device, especially for lots of traveling. The only thing I would strongly recommend is to get it about a month or so before you actually start your trip, because as far as I know Microsoft hasn't completely ironed out their QA and you'll sometimes have hardware problems out of the box - they'll replace it no problem if you go to a Microsoft store, but my first replacement needed replacing before I even walked out the door. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They fixed the fan thing and the gaming thing a bit, though due to the high dpi and weak graphics you'll probably be running games in 1680x1050 or smaller 16:10 resolutions. It does productivity stuff and handwriting fantastically though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

How does hooking up a Surface to a monitor (or maybe television?) work out? I'm not necessarily looking to do that, mostly just curious. I think the Surface is neat but I don't think I need one.

I'm actually leaning towards a Shield as my next purchase since it looks like it does all things I would reasonably expect and want it to be able to do. I currently don't have an actual computer at home of any sort and I haven't for a couple of years. The only thing I've been missing is the ability to make my own stupid Excel spreadsheets and Access databases. I just can't justify buying a computer just for that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Elliotw2 posted:

They fixed the fan thing and the gaming thing a bit, though due to the high dpi and weak graphics you'll probably be running games in 1680x1050 or smaller 16:10 resolutions. It does productivity stuff and handwriting fantastically though.

I guess it's always a trade-off though between horsepower, battery and portability. A friend was trying to convince me on a Metabox gaming laptop, but I really can't justify a 2kg brick around constantly, no matter how powerful it is.

I dropped by the Microsoft store last night and after fiddling for 15 minutes, it seems to be the perfect mix of portability and power. Any gaming I do on it is likely to be Civ 5 for an hour at the airport, not days on end playing Witcher 3.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to purchase (in Australia you can get the 10% sales tax refunded if you take the item out of the country within 60 days of purchase).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

webmeister posted:

I guess it's always a trade-off though between horsepower, battery and portability. A friend was trying to convince me on a Metabox gaming laptop, but I really can't justify a 2kg brick around constantly, no matter how powerful it is.

I dropped by the Microsoft store last night and after fiddling for 15 minutes, it seems to be the perfect mix of portability and power. Any gaming I do on it is likely to be Civ 5 for an hour at the airport, not days on end playing Witcher 3.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to purchase (in Australia you can get the 10% sales tax refunded if you take the item out of the country within 60 days of purchase).

My husband plays path of exile, dark souls 2/3, and counter strike on his and he loves it. He has the wireless XBox Elite controller so it's like his dream. He plays on the treadmill all the time so he's not sitting all day (since he has a sedentary day job).

GoodBee posted:

How does hooking up a Surface to a monitor (or maybe television?) work out? I'm not necessarily looking to do that, mostly just curious. I think the Surface is neat but I don't think I need one.

Works fine. We have an HDMI adapter that works fine and we have the wireless (Miracast I think) which also works fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GoodBee posted:

Just fine? Just like any other not-bottom-end Windows laptop. It's no different.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It does use mini-displayport so you can't plug it in directly to most monitors, but it does sidestep the high DPI and unusual aspect problems some things have.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jide Remix?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The screen on my wife's nexus 7 2013 is broken, and considering the cost of repair, I figured it might be worth just replacing it. Any recommendations for an android tablet of similar size, capability and price point? In Australia if it matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know if they're available/similar price, but people seem to like the Nvidia Shield Tablet. It's $200 in the US, at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know if they're available/similar price, but people seem to like the Nvidia Shield Tablet. It's $200 in the US, at least.

Australians can order them from Amazon. they'll ship here. And yeah, the Shield dramatically dominates the value for money ratio in the lower end of the Android tablet market at the moment.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay please help me find this

http://imgur.com/Ah7yiFe

For the Kindle Fire 10 as I can't actually seem to use the right words in amazon to find this supposed amazon thing. Thank you

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The only ones like that they have listed right now are for the Fire 7's, wait a week or two I guess.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

The only ones like that they have listed right now are for the Fire 7's, wait a week or two I guess.

Thank you

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Another question:

anyone have experience with the Kindle Fire 10 keyboard cover thing?

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
I'm sure similar questions have been asked, but someone can probably provide an answer before I dig up one.

My wife is starting her career as an Architect, and is wanting to switch from her huge 'gaming' laptop to a tablet. I would like to find one that is the best for fine-point drawing (or however you would phrase that) for sketching and taking building measurements. It needs to be compatible with the major Adobe and creative softwares, but there is no specific OS requirement. Large enough screen to comfortably support drawing; no meaningful budget constraints.

On the technical side I would guess the most accurately touch responsive? The drawing she will be doing will need to be very accurate and able to zoom in/out with a lot of detail, and be exported into a high enough quality file to be used in renderings and such. I would really prefer it to be solid state, and while she doesnt play games I do want it to run everything smoothly

Bullet list!

- support Architect-quality drawings
- compatible with Adobe software; no hard OS requirement
- able to produce high quality image files
- Open budget

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Aren't Surfaces built for Architects?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah, Surface Pro is definitely what you want if she wants a tablet.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Medullah posted:

Yeah, Surface Pro is definitely what you want if she wants a tablet.

Is the i7 worth it compared to the i5? Im not nearly as familiar with tablets as I am desktop PC; will it actually make use of all processor cores?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

US Foreign Policy posted:

Is the i7 worth it compared to the i5? Im not nearly as familiar with tablets as I am desktop PC; will it actually make use of all processor cores?

The Surface lines are basically desktop PC's in a tablet form factor. The full Windows 10 OS are on them. She might want to consider the Surface Book as well since it comes with a dGPU on the base but she can detach the top when she wants to, and it folds over to serve as a slate for sketching. The Surface Pro is much more portable, but the Surface Book is pretty drat portable too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah the Surface is definitely what she wants, though I'd recommend getting an external mouse as well. For what it's worth there still seem to be a few technical issues with the Surface Books, so maybe stick with the Pro 4 instead.

My only caveat with the Surface Pro 4 is that the battery life doesn't seem to be brilliant. I know they claim 9 hours or whatever but even with low brightness and unnecessary services off, I'm lucky to get more than 4-4.5 hours of web browsing from mine. So if she's going to be out on work sites all day and using it constantly, that might be a problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

webmeister posted:

Yeah the Surface is definitely what she wants, though I'd recommend getting an external mouse as well. For what it's worth there still seem to be a few technical issues with the Surface Books, so maybe stick with the Pro 4 instead.

My only caveat with the Surface Pro 4 is that the battery life doesn't seem to be brilliant. I know they claim 9 hours or whatever but even with low brightness and unnecessary services off, I'm lucky to get more than 4-4.5 hours of web browsing from mine. So if she's going to be out on work sites all day and using it constantly, that might be a problem.

I'm assuming you're using a third-party browser like Firefox or Chrome? I found with my SP3 that I won't hit the advertised battery life unless I'm using exclusively Metro apps, desktop apps just aren't meant for mobile devices. Minimizing brightness and killing services was unnecessary as long as I kept that in mind.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

isndl posted:

I'm assuming you're using a third-party browser like Firefox or Chrome? I found with my SP3 that I won't hit the advertised battery life unless I'm using exclusively Metro apps, desktop apps just aren't meant for mobile devices. Minimizing brightness and killing services was unnecessary as long as I kept that in mind.

Yeah, using Chrome. Is there a Metro-specific version of Chrome, or am I stuck using Edge?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can get chrome as a metro app, but that won't help. Benchmarks show that for some reason, Chrome in particular has a massive hit on battery life. Edge is the winner on that front, with Firefox somewhere in between, if I recall correctly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

All my saved passwords and bookmarks :negative: