Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quote-Unquote posted:

There's a billboard on my way to work that just appeared the other day with the words 'THE TRUTH' and 'It's illegal to use a legal name'.

A quick Google shows that this is the catchphrase of some idiot libertarian/sovereign citizen types that reckon we all have names on our birth certificates that are the property of the crown, and because we register to vote with our 'legal names' means all voting is fraudulent so there is no legitimate government anywhere in the world.

Is this a new thing that lolbertarians are bleeding into the real world and aren't just confined to the internet? Never encountered this sort of insanity in the wild before.

I wondered what the gently caress that was about, there's one up next to ASDA in Middlesbrough, I thought it was some badly thought out identity theft PSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So it's the London Mayoral tomorrow and I live in Wales and have thus heard pretty much gently caress all about it beyond Sadiq Khan is a Muslim and Goldsmith is very keen to point that out, but he's not saying anything in particular he's just saying.

Going from the bookies Sadiq Khan has it in the bag but what I'm really curious about is why is this bad for Corbyn?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well Sadiq Khan is not literally Jeremy Corbyn thus proving that if Labour wins elections it is in spite of him not because and furthermore *shits in hands, rubs on face*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khan is apparently not super fond of Corbyn but so long as he plays on side I don't much care. It's bad because everything is bad for Corbyn. Corbyn could get declared unanimous and eternal king of Britain and that would only serve to prove his unelectability.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

So it's the London Mayoral tomorrow and I live in Wales and have thus heard pretty much gently caress all about it beyond Sadiq Khan is a Muslim and Goldsmith is very keen to point that out, but he's not saying anything in particular he's just saying.
You'd think that Goldsmith would be more wary about using the "He's a member of the ethnic-religious group that we don't like at the moment. Boo that ethnic-religious group." but I guess being a Tory can overrule even that.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Easy: A Labour victory in the London mayoral election would be terrible for Labour because it would reduce the odds of Jeremy Corbyn being ousted from the leadership, and Jeremy Corbyn is axiomatically bad for the Labour Party.

lol at anyone who thought this convoluted nonsense was a joke I just made up, it's is a literal argument made by bitter Blairite bell-end Dan "bell-end" Hodges http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...bour-Party.html

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I think it was this months thread, may have been last months but EXTREME LEFT-WING FACTIONS have urged Labour members to support a Labour London Major, so that's probably bad for Corbyn.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

StoneOfShame posted:

Shane McMahon came back to jump off a fifteen foot structure for no reason.

http://i.imgur.com/9ehChGa.webm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EXTREME LEFT WING FACTIONS who support moderate social democrat Jeremy Corbyn.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Like Oldham it will be schroedingers election result, when the votes are counted the waveform will collapse and we'll find out if it's been a referendum on Corbyn all along or if it has always been all about sadiq Khan and only about him

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Fans posted:

Going from the bookies Sadiq Khan has it in the bag but what I'm really curious about is why is this bad for Corbyn?

How is it in May so far?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How is it in May so far?

Oh.
:suicide:

Well don't read my posts for another month everyone, I don't want to cause a paradox.

OwlFancier posted:

Khan is apparently not super fond of Corbyn but so long as he plays on side I don't much care.

I want a montage of Khan saying he only elected Corbyn to the leadership debate because he though he'd lose wanted to broaden the debate and didn't actually vote for him.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

EXTREME LEFT WING FACTIONS who support moderate social democrat Jeremy Corbyn.

Exactly, dangerous times ahead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dread to think what would happen if you showed the guardian a trot or an anarchist.

They might explode.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd cross to the other side of the road.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

Well, nobody wants the viscera of an exploded liberal all over them, quite a sensible decision to take.

I decided to listen to the Radio 4 6pm News while cooking dinner & wow did they ever go about as soft as it was possible on Pigfucker General's dad. Some waffle about how his name has appeared but he clearly wasn't breaking the law. Bit early to say that isn't it?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Zephro posted:

Easy: A Labour victory in the London mayoral election would be terrible for Labour because it would reduce the odds of Jeremy Corbyn being ousted from the leadership, and Jeremy Corbyn is axiomatically bad for the Labour Party.

lol at anyone who thought this convoluted nonsense was a joke I just made up, it's is a literal argument made by bitter Blairite bell-end Dan "bell-end" Hodges http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...bour-Party.html

It's the point of origin for the on-going "[A positive thing for Labour] would be bad for Corbyn because..." joke in the thread

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

The article linked at the end (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34596824) is a bit older but also has some nice bits.

Sounds like pretty typical Cambridge student behaviour, you haven't really lived unless you have been called a disgrace to humanity while drunkenly barfing over a restaurant table :britain:

That report probably came from James Angleton who's another fascinating character. If you put him in a movie people would call him a ridiculous caricature. His middle name was Jesus, for fucks sake, and his commie-hating, American-Jesus-loving ways were considered extreme even in the McCarthy era - he considered almost every leader in the western world to be a KGB plant or at least a fellow-traveller, for a start - but even he balked at what the CIA was up to by the 70s (also that they wouldn't let him drink in the office any more).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's the point of origin for the on-going "[A positive thing for Labour] would be bad for Corbyn because..." joke in the thread

Nah this goes back to before the Oldham West and Royton by-election at least.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

we may be middle of the road but you've got to put your foot down somewhere

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Khan is apparently not super fond of Corbyn but so long as he plays on side I don't much care. It's bad because everything is bad for Corbyn. Corbyn could get declared unanimous and eternal king of Britain and that would only serve to prove his unelectability.

Does the monarch count as a member of the House of Lords? If so, well, that's actually a thing that really would make him unelectable.

(Also if he becomes one of AR BOYS or joins the filth, apparently)

Edit: Angleton really wasn't a fan of us lot (British people, not commies) either, if I recall.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Sure, I realise that (I make quite a lot of those jokes myself). But it's worth reminding oneself now and then that there are actual ambulatory human beings with no outward signs of severe brain damage for whom it passes as Serious Political Analysis

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Well, nobody wants the viscera of an exploded liberal all over them

Speak for yourself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Does the monarch count as a member of the House of Lords? If so, well, that's actually a thing that really would make him unelectable.

Edit: Angleton really wasn't a fan of us lot (British people, not commies) either, if I recall.

The monarch is head of state, I believe their job would basically be that of the Speaker, if they actually held parliament themselves any more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zephro posted:

Sure, I realise that (I make quite a lot of those jokes myself). But it's worth reminding oneself now and then that there are actual ambulatory human beings with no outward signs of severe brain damage for whom it passes as Serious Political Analysis

But you quoted Dan Hodges?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

UK PM #Cameron's spokeswoman says family investments are "private matter"

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/717063116828360704

:allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Okay you've got me thinking now. The monarch isn't a member of the House of Lords, certainly, and one of the points of the Privy Council's role is that while the Crown is the official head of state the person wearing the small-c crown isn't supposed to be allowed into Parliament (or maybe just the Commons?) without invitation - the Privy Council is a sort of constitutional prophylactic so the Crown and Her Majesty's Government can get down and dirty without actually mixing body politic fluids.

I'm also fairly certain that there's a convention that one person can't hold more than one Office of State, and while Monarch isn't officially one of those I'm fairly certain that they exist as some sort of zeroth position on the list.

What I'm certain of though is that someone, possibly with an absolutely ridiculous title like Keeper Of The Queen's Assorted Wildfowl, has actually worked out every possible permutation of that ever since the Act of Settlement, just in case. To paraphrase Terry Pratchett, you might think it's a waste of time, but would you want someone with a mind like that out and about with nothing to occupy them?

And yeah, Angleton didn't like Britain much but he hated us less than most other countries - he was almost sympathetic to us for our misfortune in not being America, rather than seeing it as God's punishment to deprive us of the grace of being American like he did godless nations like Italy and Canada.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's more like "[Literally any possible result positive or negative for Labour] would be bad for Corbyn because..." and it's not a joke, it's the press. Wait, scratch that, it is also a joke.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Several of the donors, MPs and financiers who have supported David Cameron’s rise to power have had links to the UK’s network of tax havens, the Panama Papers reveal.

Three former Conservative MPs and six members of the House of Lords are among those with connections to companies on the books of the offshore law firm Mossack Fonseca.

The Fleming family, who helped bankroll Cameron’s bid for the leadership of the Conservatives and have given the party millions, used the Panamanian law firm’s network to manage their own fortune.

After selling the merchant bank Flemings in 2000 for $7.7bn, members of the family opened a private office, Fleming Family & Partners, to manage their money. Over the next few years, FF&P gradually expanded, taking on wealth management for other rich families from offices run out of the tax haven of Liechtenstein. Now known as Stonehage Fleming, the family office has registered at least 18 Mossack Fonseca companies from its Liechtenstein office. A spokesman for Stonehage Fleming declined to comment.

According to the documents, the energy company Heritage Oil, founded by the Conservative donor Buckingham, “urgently” moved its corporate registration from one tax haven to another, which could have permitted it to avoid hundreds of millions of pounds in tax.

Mossack Fonseca was ordered to transfer the company registration from the Bahamas to Mauritius after Heritage was faced with a large tax bill in Uganda over the sale of an oil field. Records show that at one point, the company’s chief financial officer demanded a junior member of the Mossack Fonseca team be sent to sit in the Bahamas registry office in order to speed up the process, saying the delay was “ridiculous”.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/04/tory-donors-links-to-offshore-firms-revealed-in-leaked-panama-papers

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Huh, rich bastards offloading money out of the country?

SURELY YOU JEST! :monocle: Yes this totally did not have a degrading crippling effect on the country ohhhh no

there would be absolutely no serious repercussions to all the richest people in the country refusing to pay tax and not putting money BACK into the infrastructure, no that's totally not why this country's hospitals and police forces are absolutely loving stretched like a reused bandaid struggling to hold onto the seventeenth scraped shin for the love of god.

I mean, I guess there's a rule they never tell you about when you reach a certain wage bracket you just don't have to pay for anything anymore. Down at Heathrow they'll just stop you right on the spot and demand you pay your tax before leaving the country but Osborne's family company don't even pay their drat taxes.

This country really is just turning the clock back to Victorian times, in ten years they'll replace foxhunting with poorsniping.

Firos posted:

Someone on the BBC news this morning described Osbourne's budget as "[being] creepily obsessed with punishing disabled people" :drat:
It's good the BBC can still speak the truth when it really matters...occasionally?

when they came for the charity owners i did not speak.

when they came for my treasurer's family company that doesn't pay taxes despite being the loving treasurer, i do not recall.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 4, 2016

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Don't forget that a Sadiq Khan win would expose the failings of Jeremy Corbyn, according to the Guardian. Somehow.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This Corbyn character sounds like he can't get anything right. I wouldn't vote for him, that's for sure.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

This Corbyn character sounds like he can't get anything right. I wouldn't vote for him, that's for sure.
He's unelectable. Increasingly so since he got elected.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Crameltonian posted:

Don't forget that a Sadiq Khan win would expose the failings of Jeremy Corbyn, according to the Guardian. Somehow.

Yes we all remember that Khan was the choice of the Blairite moderate serious centre of the Labour party. Tessa who you say?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

big scary monsters posted:

The continued rotation of the earth reflects poorly on Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Labour losing the London election would be a massive victory for Jeremy Corbyn

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35958871

You can buy a village for £20 million!

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/details/40011502?search_identifier=db3b25fc479375ff8e275e5d6f6a1137#ZuzoWwcfE9wlXywW.97

Or a one Bedroom in Mayfair for £2.6 million.

Our country is hosed.

Edit: On closer inspection it's the whole building that's being sold.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Anyone else get the feeling the Euro-rate-exchange at this point isn't even a loving issue anymore with how much our economy's getting gouged by Westminster's peeps?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Goon project? I'll set up the Indiegogo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*opens wallet and sadly watches the moths fly into the sunset*

• Locked thread