Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For me the really irritating part is the 'have armies in nearby provinces, funnel them all into apocalyptic mega battles' aspect. Some battles, especially in the middle game, last so long that for armies sometimes march all the way across Europe to participate. That doesn't make any sense and it's not very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

PittTheElder posted:

Actually it won't. Wiz said they had to take it out precisely because the AI couldn't deal with it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mare-nostrum-without-the-kent-strait.917505

Of course it couldn't and wouldn't, a shame though we didn't get a chance if only for a week before it's patched out just to see the blue and dark red clown cars run all up in her majesty's carpets

I've always wondered if england just not existing would ever make a difference in the world to anyone other than the player when you don't have a vastly superior navy and since you're not a robot with eyes all the world you get your dumb navy and maybe even trade fleet caught out by the royal navy and curse out loud saying loving england why are you even in this war in the first place why do you care that I'm attacking crete

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 4, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sure, Castilla, refuse the Iberian Wedding. It's not as if someone is picking up all the provinces in the Genoa trade node and has multiple claims in Aragón. :getin:

Also, I'm really liking Humanism. With the missions you get as Genoa, which send you all over the map and half the time into Muslim territory, I'd be squashing rebellions all over the place otherwise.

Now it's time to tango with the Ottomans for Constantinople. :ohdear:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Sure, Castilla, refuse the Iberian Wedding. It's not as if someone is picking up all the provinces in the Genoa trade node and has multiple claims in Aragón. :getin:

Also, I'm really liking Humanism. With the missions you get as Genoa, which send you all over the map and half the time into Muslim territory, I'd be squashing rebellions all over the place otherwise.

Now it's time to tango with the Ottomans for Constantinople. :ohdear:

Just so you know, every Genoa campaign I've ever played, I can point to the moment when I looked at the Ottomans and thought "yeah, they look weak enough to take" and declared war as the moment when everything went wrong.

Actually that applies to all sorts of nations, not just Genoa...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Well, the Ottomans are going to be a problem anyway because I control Suez and Jerusalem, and they are my neighbours. Right now I'd like to take over the Pope in order to form Italy and get cheaper coring, but on the other hand I also want to reach 100% mercantilism, and being friendly with the Papacy seems to be the best way to do it. But also want to take over the rest of Aragón and the north coast of Africa.

Decisions, decisions...

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has anyone found a list that splits the Mare Nostrum features into free/dlc ? The product page and thread both seem incomplete.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I've always wondered if england just not existing would ever make a difference in the world to anyone other than the player
Of course there would be a noticeable difference. There would be slightly less colonizing competition for the Iberians.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geeze, the Big Blue Blob is some serious RNG bullshit. I'm completely crushing my current France game but circumstances beyond my control have road blocked me from getting the achievement. I was ready to take a bunch of provinces from Aragon, but then they were suddenly under a PU with my good buddy Castile, and even with that alliance link broken neither Austria nor Poland is willing to help (and I'd surely get crushed, they have Naples and several allies too). I have about 10 years of truce left with England and already took over Ireland and Scotland. I'm ready to take a bunch of provinces from Norway, Sweden, and Muscovy, but I have a Regency Council for the next 10 years. I have about 30 years left to go, and losing 10 of them basically prevents me from getting to 100.

This poo poo is absolutely brutal in that you basically just need to be really lucky in order to not get locked out of the achievement

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
1.16 patch notes:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-16-full-patchnotes.917705/

Merchant republics got hit pretty hard, expansion features seem boring, some other stuff too

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

- Naval Combat: Losing a ship now causes the entire fleet to lose some Morale.
So, galleys? Won't big galley fleets be crippled since they usually take much more losses?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
merchant republics were by far the best form of (non-dutch) government so I think it's not a bad thing they were nerfed. only the 20 provinces thing is a big deal anyway really, and that makes a lot of sense.

quote:

- Colonists in Trade Company provinces do no longer change the religion or culture of the province.

Weird that this is an expansion-only feature but still cool, I wonder if this means we'll see new separatist tags for things like the Philippines.

also huh corruption isn't even an expansion feature. bet a lot of people are gonna be pissed about that, there won't be a way to turn it off.

quote:

- Reverted the region based discovery mechanics from 1.15 to province based as before.

wait so is it still scripted or did they completely ditch that new system?

quote:

- Expansion Ideas finisher is now also -25% state maintenance.
wait that's replacing the amazing expansion CB? :negative:

quote:

- Raze Province now actually increases unrest.

well gently caress, I was super glad when they said playtesting said this wasn't fun, but now it's coming back?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 4, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Overall the patch sounds really bad, I see a lot of new mechanics that probably make expansion slower and more tedious with nothing to offset that. No real tweaks for the boring estate system that was added, patched once, then forgotten. Instead of fixing the Fort system they disable the current best way to play it.
Have fun with those Spionage OPMs ruining your country by increasing corruption, sure sounds like fun. Want to play without estates, shame we just nerfed Merchant Republics.

Not really liking the path EU4 has taken with the last couple patches, guess it is closing in on EoL like CK2 did a year ago. Good thing Stellaris/HoI4 are out soon.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Koramei posted:

wait that's replacing the amazing expansion CB? :negative:

also, as in addition to

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, you get the CB AND reduced state upkeep.

E: Also, apparently "- Colonists in Trade Company provinces do no longer change the religion or culture of the province." IS a patch feature.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 4, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If I'm having revolts in my provinces and they are cored and my religion but not my culture, would humanist be the right idea choice to remedy it?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zotix posted:

If I'm having revolts in my provinces and they are cored and my religion but not my culture, would humanist be the right idea choice to remedy it?

You can always check the unrest tooltip on province view to see what exactly is causing it. If it is culture, you could just eat the dip cost and change it to something more amenable.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Zotix posted:

Well, you get -2 revolt chance quite early in the group, and later on a lower threshold to accept a culture plus less separatism, which will help quite a bit. OTOH, I've never had problems with cored provinces of my religion unless I also had Overextension, War Exhaustion or low Stability, and those factors tend to improve with time, so maybe you can weather it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

kojei posted:

also, as in addition to

oh poo poo it says it right there, I can read :downs:

Darkrenown posted:

E: Also, apparently "- Colonists in Trade Company provinces do no longer change the religion or culture of the province." IS a patch feature.

That's gonna change things a lot wow. For East Asian teams in particular you used to basically have the entirety of Indonesia as free non-overseas same culture same religion territory, which was absolutely huge for inflating your power. The states system was gonna hamper that a bit but with this too it'll make things a lot harder in Asia now, drat.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

quote:

Countries with very few forts relative to their size (and less than 10 forts total) now have their unfortified provinces worth more warscore when occupied by enemies.
is quite a big change. But good, I guess, since you used to be able to game it quite easily before.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yashichi posted:

1.16 patch notes:

quote:

- Added the historical_neutral tag which makes countries less likely to become friends or enemies.
huh. i wonder what on earth this is for?

quote:

- Rebels with Unrest below 0% will now still revolt if they got a supporter.
!?

quote:

- Reduced Liberty Desire from Tariffs.
- reduced "Decrease Tariffs" cost to a sane level, from 100ADM to 25ADM
wow, huh. wonder if this means the usual wave of colonial revolts will start later than the mid-late 17th century?

quote:

- Countries with very few forts relative to their size (and less than 10 forts total) now have their unfortified provinces worth more warscore when occupied by enemies.
rip weird scummy tactic i never used

quote:

- Reverted the region based discovery mechanics from 1.15 to province based as before.
lol

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there like a way to filter units? When I'm in a war it would be nice to hide everything that isn't my own or an enemy unit. This would be especially useful for ships because I find it incredibly hard to keep tabs on those during war.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

- A country that is reduced to only Iceland can now form Iceland.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Star posted:

is quite a big change. But good, I guess, since you used to be able to game it quite easily before.

Hopefully the game gives you a "too few forts!" Alert or something because I'm absolutely not going to remember to check this otherwise

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So skimming through the patch notes it looks like the main feature split between free and paid DLC is:

Free features-
Africa map rework and new nations
Sailors as manpower for navies
Naval combat mechanics changed
States & territories system replacing overseas province mechanics
Corruption
Colonizing Trade Company regions no longer gives them your culture and religion
Nerfed Merchant Republics over 20 provinces in size

Paid/DLC-
New naval missions to intercept/evade fleets etc. and Barbary nations able to raid for slaves
Share/steal maps as diplomatic and spy options
Espionage reworked with Spy Networks and new missions
Condottieri
Merchant Republics can form Trade Leagues

Honestly the paid features seem pretty unexciting to me, the free patch has some cool stuff (Africa map rework, naval combat mechanics revamp) but also lol Corruption.

I'll probably hold off on buying this one until it goes on sale or it ends up being a lot more interesting in practice than on paper :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well it's kind of always that way because anything absolutely integral to the game has to be free for the multiplayer DLC model to work.

And any time a DLC feature gets tied too closely to something in the patch (ie: increasing development) some people complain bitterly about paradox conspiring to force them to buy the DLC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tahirovic posted:

Have fun with those Spionage OPMs ruining your country by increasing corruption, sure sounds like fun.

This is my biggest concern. Having a bunch of people constantly Sabotage Reputation against you back however many patches ago was really annoying.

Zotix posted:

Humanism will help, but don't use an idea slot just for that. Rebellions are pretty normal, and because they give -100 unrest for 10 years or whatever, they can actually be quite helpful.

Especially for provinces that are your religion, almost all the unrest will be from Separatism, which will just tick down over 30 years anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

huh. i wonder what on earth this is for?
It's useful to me, as a modder. So modders? :v: Specifically I've been trying to get Korea not to be such a monster, taking over all the eastern hordes, so having them just generally be neutral will be nice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zotix posted:

There are a lot of ways to manage revolts. Are you actually having rebel armies spawn, or do you just have a high revolt risk?

You can raise autonomy, which will lower RR (revolt risk) by 10 but you'll get less income from the province for a few decades. Hiring a Theologian adviser (-2 RR) can help.

Probably the best way to deal with revolts is just to park armies on the rebellious provinces. The presence of armies will reduce RR, and if rebels do spawn your armies are there to slap them down. Then as PittTheElder said, once you knock down a rebellion they won't rebel again for at least a decade and by then you'll have a lot less Separatism and things should be cool.

When rebel armies spawn, they will try and capture nearby forts. If you're worried about rebels being similar size to your own armies, just park your army on the nearest fort and let them attack you, you'll probably get a defensive terrain bonus.

Don't worry too much about rebels. Unless you're severely weakened (in the middle of a losing war or something) you shouldn't have much trouble beating them down. Rebels are only a problem if you let them run around unopposed for quite a long time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Was not expecting the random nerf to colonising some parts of Africa and Asia, though since I usually prefer to play 'native' colonisers it's not such a big deal. I wonder if there's new culture groups in Africa now, before the Kongolese and Southeast Africans were in the same culture group, but there's going to be a lot more provinces in that region now.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 4, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ooo, the new achievements are viewable on Steam, now.

Just in case somebody didn't see them way back:

quote:

Mare Nostrum: Restore the Roman Empire and own the entire Mediterranean and Black Sea coast lines.

Kuban Cigars: As Kuba, own or have a subject own Havana and be the world’s leading producer of Tobacco.

Kushite Restoration: As a Nubian culture nation, own the entire Egyptian region as core provinces.

The Fezzan Corridors: As Fezzan, control at least 90% of the trade power in Tunis, Katsina, Safi and Timbuktu.

Victorian Three: As Basoga, Buganda or Karagwe, reach administrative, diplomatic and military technology level 32.

The Animal Kingdom: As Manipur, unite the Bengal region and convert it to Animism.

Golden Horn: As a Somali nation, fully own the Horn of Africa region and have a monthly gold income of at least 50 ducats.

Kinslayer: As Tver, Yaroslavl, Ryazan or Odoyev, eliminate all other Rurikovich nations without changing your ruling dynasty.

Choson One: As Korea, own or have a subject own all Shinto, Confucian and Buddhist provinces in the world.

Sailor Mon: As Pegu, have at least 100,000 sailors.

Networking: Have 100 point spy networks in 3 rival nations.

The White Company: Hire your army out to one side in a war and then the other.

Time Bandit: Successfully steal a map from another nation.

With a little help..: As Ragusa, lead a Trade League of at least 5 nations and guarantee the Ottomans’ independence.

Just Resting In My Account: Corrupt the officials in a rival country.

E:

There are a bit too many "do this thing you're bound to do, anyway" achievements this time around, but I'll take the fun ones like "Kuban Cigars" in a heartbeat.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 4, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

RabidWeasel posted:

Was not expecting the random nerf to colonising some parts of Africa and Asia, though since I usually prefer to play 'native' colonisers it's not such a big deal. I wonder if there's new culture groups in Africa now, before the Kongolese and Southeast Africans were in the same culture group.

do you mean native like in the Americas? 'cause minor teams in Asia/Africa get hit by this. Ternate/Tidore are gonna be dramatically harder.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I mean if your culture group matches the provinces you're colonising then it barely does anything.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The way it currently is the culture of provinces you're colonizing only factors in to the % chance you see, as soon as the colonist arrives the province changes to your culture/religion and you get a small (maybe 3%) settler chance bonus because the province is now your culture/religion. I never understood why they bothered doing that but I guess they're fixing it now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I want the patch but I don't want corruption.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm watching Arumba's channel, and he has 4 rows of available mapmodes. UI option or mod?

Jazerus posted:

Just so you know, every Genoa campaign I've ever played, I can point to the moment when I looked at the Ottomans and thought "yeah, they look weak enough to take" and declared war as the moment when everything went wrong.

Actually that applies to all sorts of nations, not just Genoa...

My land! My precious land! :negative:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 4, 2016

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I usually play with no music, and I really like the background ambient with the water sounds and the birdsongs. Is there anywhere I can find it?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Odobenidae posted:

The way it currently is the culture of provinces you're colonizing only factors in to the % chance you see, as soon as the colonist arrives the province changes to your culture/religion and you get a small (maybe 3%) settler chance bonus because the province is now your culture/religion. I never understood why they bothered doing that but I guess they're fixing it now.

Hopefully this will slow down east asian colonisation. Also, hopefully it will prevent the entire region being Iberian Catholics.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Yeah, I'm not too excited about the paid DLC stuff although Espionage might be cool with it. Expanded Africa map should be fun though.

Corruption, yay?

Dibujante posted:

Hopefully this will slow down east asian colonisation. Also, hopefully it will prevent the entire region being Iberian Catholics.

Don't Trade Companies ignore religious intolerance and off-culture penalties? So it shouldn't much affect European colonizers except in having fewer mapmodes painted your color.

It seems like more of a serious nerf to African and Asian colonizers, who now have to deal with wrong religion and culture in their newly finished no-Trade Company colonies.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It'd be nice if at least they'd divide the trade company regions into more than what basically amounts to "Europe" and "Not Europe" for who can make them. Let Ming make them in India, Tunisia make them in South Africa. Going through all the pains of westernizing and then one of its bigger boons being unavailable to you is kind of a kick in the teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Average Bear posted:

This really is how I feel. I think most previous features added have been reasonable, and I'm definitely not too worried about most of the other changes, but corruption seems really miserable as implemented. It either completely fucks over non western nations, or it's fairly easy to negate, in which case it basically just adds an extra maintenance value. It reminds me a lot of the minting/stability sliders in EUIII to be honest, and I feel that EUIV's decision to move very far away from that was a really good one.

I mean, it's possible that it actually works really well and adds to the game, but it really stands out to me as having a massive negative effect.

• Locked thread