Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

People with Automatron: After a while of not playing the game, am I better off starting a new playthrough with the DLC or jumping into my old save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You don't get access to the quest and robot workshop until level 15 so you might as well use your old save. It's a little hungry on the materials too, especially ceramic which I wasn't used to hoarding before.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Got the robot dlc, and I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but when I kill a certain type of the new bots, Swarmbots I think, they shoot into the stratosphere, depriving me of some possibly magical sexy loot.
What the hell, Bethesda?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
It should be noted that you don't have to "side" with the BOS to gain and keep access to the Vertibirds. You lose access to them if you side, ultimately, with the Institute and (I think) The Railroad. But you can go all the way with the Minute Men and stay in good standing with both the BOS and The Railroad, enough to maintain use of both of their offerings.

I went with the Minute Men in my first and only playthrough prior to my current survival run and although I'd like to see how the other endings play out (though I'm sure the differences are negligible) I can't see myself siding with anyone else.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dorkopotamis posted:

It should be noted that you don't have to "side" with the BOS to gain and keep access to the Vertibirds. You lose access to them if you side, ultimately, with the Institute and (I think) The Railroad. But you can go all the way with the Minute Men and stay in good standing with both the BOS and The Railroad, enough to maintain use of both of their offerings.

I went with the Minute Men in my first and only playthrough prior to my current survival run and although I'd like to see how the other endings play out (though I'm sure the differences are negligible) I can't see myself siding with anyone else.

Yes, but if you kill someone in one of those groups, you'll get a mission from Preston to wipe them out. I don't know if that immediately triggers the BoS or Railroad as hostile to you, but if you ever get in a firefight with the BoS or something, I'd save scum to be safe.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Nymix posted:

People with Automatron: After a while of not playing the game, am I better off starting a new playthrough with the DLC or jumping into my old save?

My advice to you, if you're interested in a new experience, is to start a new game in survival mode after they patch in some QOL improvements, which will probably be soon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The institute questline is fun just because of the way you blow up the blimp and teleport to a scenic spot to watch it crash.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hate that fuckin' blimp

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Can you get an eyebot chassis?

Anybody? I really wanted an ED-E 2.0.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the best part of the institute storyline is having dissenters within the institute torn to pieces by synth apes, enforcing your reign of terror.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Anybody? I really wanted an ED-E 2.0.

You can't, but now you can!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11459/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

*cheerful beep* ...sometime in the possible future (PS4)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Yes, but if you kill someone in one of those groups, you'll get a mission from Preston to wipe them out. I don't know if that immediately triggers the BoS or Railroad as hostile to you, but if you ever get in a firefight with the BoS or something, I'd save scum to be safe.

The mission would be optional, though, right? And the next time you encounter them they wouldn't be hostile?

Siding with Institute, I was able to use minutemen's special faction ability to attack the BoS. That was amusing. The minutemen were never hostile to me even after finishing MQ for Institute. It appears they're true neutral, and compatible with all other factions. I assume if you side with BoS or Railroad you don't have to kill the Minutemen, either. I mean you'd be attacking your own settlements, really.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

oh, well, RIP

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pmchem posted:

The mission would be optional, though, right? And the next time you encounter them they wouldn't be hostile?

Siding with Institute, I was able to use minutemen's special faction ability to attack the BoS. That was amusing. The minutemen were never hostile to me even after finishing MQ for Institute. It appears they're true neutral, and compatible with all other factions. I assume if you side with BoS or Railroad you don't have to kill the Minutemen, either. I mean you'd be attacking your own settlements, really.

It would be optional sure, but I don't know if they would be hostile to you from then on or not. And yeah, I don't think there's even an option to destroy the minutemen. Since they're essentially yours, they're always aligned with the player. If you side with the institute or the bos, preston will get snappy, but in the end he backs you up.

isndl
May 2, 2012

pmchem posted:

Minutemen are the fallback faction so you have a way of completing the main quest even if you piss off everyone else, so nobody really cares about what they're doing..

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

when the next DLC comes out I'm going to blow up the three factions and turn the minutemen into a raider army

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

To clarify, you can build eyebots. But they're only autonomous drones for a lovely fetch quest for a small amount of components.

It sucks because I want an eyebot with a gatling lazer.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The eyebots as-is are extremely underwhelming.

I've only used one twice. The first was aluminum and it had me run to the rear end-end of the world for a grand total of 5 aluminum.

The second time was ballistic fiber and there was only a single roll of military duct tape.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah it seems like they're best used in the early game for the rarer stuff like fusion cores and after that they become worthless. I tried following one and it straight up died after getting winged by a Super Mutant with a pipe rifle.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

You need to be able to build a skyrim style wagon / car at each settlement, the eyebot station should be a better version of the scavenger station. In fact, just rip everything off skyrim please. Also fix nonstop eating, drinking and having to have a hour nap every time I change something at home and want to save it.

otherwise survival is great and tough and goddamn it makes you appreciate every perk.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nymix posted:

Depends on how interested you are in building robots and if you have the int for Robotics Expert. If you're good with just building basic robots you don't need the perks. If you're intent on building murderbots you need RE, Gun Nut, and Science at least.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
While defending a settlement (Covenant) from Super Mutants I accidentally shot a settler and had the whole town go hostile on me. I had to wipe out town and tell Preston that Super Mutants did it. I tidied up the place before I left and reset the radio beacon, but I notice it's not re-populating. Am I missing something? I've never had to destroy a settlement or have had a settlement exterminated by an attack before, so this is uncharted territory.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Did you try sheathing your weapon? It sometimes works for having people who aren't normally hostile forgive and forget. All bets are off when your companion decides to keep going though.

Getting new settlers via radio beacon is a whole lot of luck, unfortunately. Easier to have one settlement dedicated to recruiting 24/7 and relocate them when needed instead of setting up a beacon at every settlement.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

in my experience, covenant and the airport are kinda hosed. Anywhere with a settlement workshop should work properly or get removed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Had my sound spontaneously die on me for the first time. I can't restart the game to get my sound back because I can't find a bed. Thanks Bethesda!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

It would be optional sure, but I don't know if they would be hostile to you from then on or not. And yeah, I don't think there's even an option to destroy the minutemen. Since they're essentially yours, they're always aligned with the player. If you side with the institute or the bos, preston will get snappy, but in the end he backs you up.
I read that if you kill Father at any point you get the whole "escape the Institute" quest, they all go hostile, and so on. He's never essential, and the game always respects your decision if you kill him.

Even if you kill him on his death bed.

I feel that would make for a pretty good psychopath play through. You wipe out the Railroad and Brotherhood, your son is on his deathbed, satisfied in the knowledge that all the Institute's enemies are destroyed... not knowing that its greatest enemy is standing right beside him. You murder your way out of there and call up the Minutemen to nuke the gently caress out of the Institute.

As you walk into the sunset, satisfied in the knowledge that you have killed everyone who has any pretensions of ruling the wasteland besides yourself, you hear a familiar voice.

"General, another settlement needs our help."

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Eiba posted:

...you have killed everyone who has any pretensions of ruling the wasteland besides yourself...

But at that point you'd be institute king anyway, right? You're just loving up your own poo poo at that point.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

But at that point you'd be institute king anyway, right? You're just loving up your own poo poo at that point.

Well that's why you're a psychopath, not a king.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
You guys play Don't Starve? In the custom options you can change everything. There's options to change amount of animals, resources, day length, etc. Make it like that for survival mode. Have save on rest be a toggle, quicksave, regular save in town only, save any time options. Then have damage and eating options, too. Not sure what else would be there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

vandalism posted:

You guys play Don't Starve? In the custom options you can change everything. There's options to change amount of animals, resources, day length, etc. Make it like that for survival mode. Have save on rest be a toggle, quicksave, regular save in town only, save any time options. Then have damage and eating options, too. Not sure what else would be there.

Hell, this is already a thing for New Vegas if you've got Project Nevada installed.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Having configurable options might make it more appealing for some who do not like the hardcore nature of survival mode, but it cheapens the goal of having a dedicated survival mode to begin with. Having a baseline set of guidelines makes it a challenging mode for the entire population of survival players.

Complaints I hear about saving are when people keep pushing their luck diving deeper into dungeon instances looking for a bed. This is a scenario of your own choosing. Realistically, you should go back to your last known "safe" bed and drop gear off and save. Game crashes? Not really a Bethesda problem, more a "your hardware" problem.

If you want configurable survival, it will be something modders create.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah yes, the famously stable games made by Bethesda

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Ah yes, the famously stable games made by Bethesda

Fallout 4 is incredibly stable, though'. 486 hours on record and every crash I've had has been because of mod incompatibilities.

This is not something I can boast about any other Bethesda open-world game I've played, and a good number of non Bethesda games either.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

lunatikfringe posted:

Game crashes? Not really a Bethesda problem, more a "your hardware" problem.

I see you're new to bethesda softworks titles

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

Fallout 4 is incredibly stable, though'. 486 hours on record and every crash I've had has been because of mod incompatibilities.

This is not something I can boast about any other Bethesda open-world game I've played, and a good number of non Bethesda games either.

Fallout 4 was very stable out of the box. Sure there were bugs, but what game doesn't have them?

Anyone play Fallout 2 (Interplay/Black Isle Studios) at launch? It was a hot almost unplayable mess until they released patch 1.02 months later. And this was with 2d sprite graphics. Game of the year.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
and who can forget skyrim's hilarious "doesn't work unless you lower your sound quality" funtime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lunatikfringe posted:

Fallout 4 was very stable out of the box. Sure there were bugs, but what game doesn't have them?

Anyone play Fallout 2 (Interplay/Black Isle Studios) at launch? It was a hot almost unplayable mess until they released patch 1.02 months later. And this was with 2d sprite graphics. Game of the year.

Fallout 4 was unstable as poo poo even on consoles where there is no hardware deviation.

Also yes, Fallout 2 was also hilariously unstable as poo poo. A lot of people just don't remember it or didn't play it until later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lunatikfringe posted:

Why did you bring up Fallout 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Why did you bring up Fallout 2?

It is a game in the series that people hold in very high regard. Many forget about the mess it was when it launched. Creating AAA games isn't easy, and everyone seems to always gloss over the massive advances Bethesda has made on the series because "loving settler happiness is bugged!"

• Locked thread