Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
active directory is probably the least bad option in a field of terrible options for workplace idm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
b...but.. what about openLDAP?

guys?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

b...but.. what about openLDAP?

guys?

bystander: no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theultimo posted:

it's federal government unionized workers

sometime tells the stereotype is true, union protects both the highly skilled and also the shitbrains

the highly skilled don't need unions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theultimo posted:

active directory is amazing and getting it to run on macs is a lesson in futility sometimes

nah its easy you just have to upgrade the default os to windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:qq: iPhone SE Review: The Phone That Proves Apple is Out of Ideas :qq:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stymie writes for gizmodo now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's uncalled for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry, you're right.

at best they're quoting your posts without attribution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Despite being the first iPhone to step away from Apple’s number naming scheme, and despite being the first 4-inch iPhone in two years, it isn’t a product of innovation, but rather one of stagnation.

The iPhone 5, from which the SE borrows its entire external chassis, was the last product Steve Jobs was hands-on with, and yes, that’s a big deal. Without Steve Jobs, Apple has always been a rudderless company, adrift on the sea of technological trends. Back in the 90s it was even a punchline. The PowerBook 5300 had a tendency to burst into flames (mine never did) and earned a position of ridicule on Saturday Night Live. And the Newton series was so bad (though my brother adored his eMate 300) that Jobs axed it less than a year after he returned to the company.

From 1997 to 2010, the Apple brand lived and died on Steve Jobs’ every decision. Sure it was a company full of brilliant engineers, programmers and marketers, but it was Jobs’ magic touch that spurned the multitude of innovations that turned Apple into the second largest company in the world. He was the one that added color to the original iMac, insisted on the iPod’s navigation wheel and refused to let the iPhone get too big.

And as soon as he was gone, Tim Cook took all the ideas Jobs rejected and made them reality. So we got the fart in the wind that is the Apple Watch, and we got the behemoth iPhone 6 and iPhone Plus. These products weren’t the result of innovation as much as they were the response to the clamoring of analysts, journalists and some portions of the public. That’s what the SE is too. It’s not innovation. It’s fulfilling a need and expanding a portfolio and other boring business words that Apple used to leave to more practical companies like Lenovo and Dell.

it's a thing of beauty

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i hate how people talk about "innovation" like its something a lone genius does in a vacuum

the iphone was innovative because microsoft, blackberry and nokia were just iterating their palm pilot clones for 5+ years with their thumbs up their asses and it was ripe for disruption

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
lol christ lighten up mr tech journalist the phone is fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ gizmodo being butt hurt forever

my se arrives today :keke:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gizmodo posted:

While I’m knocking the SE for being proof that Apple is bereft of good ideas, I can’t actually knock the phone’s performance or form factor.
"The phone itself is perfectly fine, I'm just complaining on general principle"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

akadajet posted:

i wonder how popular the macbook is compared to the rest of the macs. it seems pretty useless to me but idunno what others think.

I have zero need for the features of a pro and my next laptop will be a normal macbook because its got a good display, cpu, and battery life who gives a poo poo about anything else

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I have zero need for the features of a pro and my next laptop will be a normal macbook because its got a good display, cpu, and battery life who gives a poo poo about anything else
a "normal macbook" is an air at this point right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

sometime tells the stereotype is true, union protects both the highly skilled and also the shitbrains

that's not a stereotype, its their legal obligation under contract law and raging against a union having to defend shitbrains is like raging against public defenders. its stupid and displays your ignorance for all the world to see

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the highly skilled don't need unions

some people don't like having to switch jobs every five years, shaggar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

some people don't like having to switch jobs every five years

well then maybe they should get out of the apple accessories market

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kenny Logins posted:

a "normal macbook" is an air at this point right

like i said, they're basically merging

if the macbook had a dedicated power port and 2-3 usb-c ports no one would buy an air

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
gizmodo has always been retarded

i got my se last week and i love it. it's exactly what i wanted, (basically) a 6s in a 5/s shell

is the design very similar? yes, but that's the loving point

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

same, it's a great phone

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have slender fingers and skinny jeans

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

THC posted:

same, it's a great phone

good specs

way too small to read or do anything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zen death robot posted:

sure, if you have tiny hands

my hands are pretty big. the iphone 6 barely fits in most of my pockets so a laffo huge android phone/6+ is completely out of the question

still, i can comfortably use the 6, i just prefer the size of the 5

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theultimo posted:

good specs

specs, lol. who gives a gently caress about specs. it's a steaming pile. p.o.s. Simple.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theultimo posted:

good specs

sure, if you have lovely eyes that don't work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theultimo posted:

good specs

sorry about your poor vision, opinions and general overall taste

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically phones started to get too big with the 5 and steve used actual testing and evidence to support this fact which is why the 4s remains the superior form factor

there's a lot of people that fancy themselves special with big salad fingers but they're just buying into big screen marketing because of a lack of critical analysis

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Stymie posted:

basically phones started to get too big with the 5 and steve used actual testing and evidence to support this fact which is why the 4s remains the superior form factor

there's a lot of people that fancy themselves special with big salad fingers but they're just buying into big screen marketing because of a lack of critical analysis

i felt the same way when the 5 came out but it's barely bigger and 16:9 is a more appropriate aspect ratio anyway

the 6 is definitely too big and the only people i know with a 6+ are tiny asian women

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

sure, if you have lovely eyes that don't work

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i felt the same way when the 5 came out but it's barely bigger and 16:9 is a more appropriate aspect ratio anyway

the 6 is definitely too big and the only people i know with a 6+ are tiny asian women

Small asian women with big boobs, big bank balances, and even bigger IQs know what's up: This is the fabulous phablet future. Embrace it - with both hands.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Stymie posted:

stymie the ergo expert: i know you fancy yourself left handed but youve actually been bamboozled by the specialty scissor industry's marketing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

Small asian women with big boobs, big bank balances, and even bigger IQs know what's up: This is the fabulous phablet future. Embrace it - with both hands.

don't describe my girlfriend

who actually ditched her 6 for a se

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
phablets are the future. embrace the hugeness

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i got my se and it's as wonderful as i could have imagined

thank you ghost of stebe

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

hello this is my anecdote

i had to get a 6s for testing, and now it's my phone, and it's big and slippery. i have big goon hands and still can't comfortably thumb a button in a title bar without balancing the phone so it's smooth edges don't send it cascading down my palm onto the floor

big screen phones are for those who can't afford ipads pro

5s size correct size

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

also lol at the double-half-tap home button concession that no human can actually reach parts of the touch screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lord funk posted:

big screen phones are for those who can't afford ipads pro

5s size correct size

• Locked thread