Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

My thoughts exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Iida's outfit makes him look like Dudley from Street Fighter which I am super okay with

-Hey brother, want to come to our store? the best girls! big baps!
-Er, no thanks
-You have no dignity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Judging by the OP for MHA, it looks like they'll at least get to the first encounter with the villains.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Lookin' good, Hagakure

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Isn't that a little too lewd for daytime TV?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Quirks manifest during childhood, don't they? I wonder what Hagakure looked like when she was younger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Slime posted:

Quirks manifest during childhood, don't they? I wonder what Hagakure looked like when she was younger.

Still invisible because invisibility isn't her quirk, like Tokoyami's bird head isn't his quirk.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if there's a guy out there whose quirk is simply just invinciblity? Whatever happens to him, he's totally okay!!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if there's a guy out there whose quirk is simply just invinciblity? Whatever happens to him, he's totally okay!!

The role-playing game Godlike had a guy like this. He was invincible to any attack that he was aware was coming, to the point where they set off an atom bomb right over his head and all it did was mess up his hair. On the other hand, when someone sucker-punched him in the kidneys it put him in the hospital for three days.

A Quirk like that would fit in pretty well in this universe, in an Aizawa-like overpowered-but-with-an-obvious-limitation kind of way.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I caught the first anime episode last night and I-

Yeah, pretty much this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

it'd be the plot of that bruce willis move unbreakable

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

I can't remember the comic but there's actually I think an X-men comic or spinoff where there's a story about a bunch of kids being trained because their powers are good (I didn't think it was the Xavier institute but I can't recall).

One fat and out of shape kid has the power of being completely, utterly, immutably invincible. Like, the strongest characters in the comic's universe would not be able to physically harm him.

The problem is that his invincibility is because his body is in some sort of permanent unbreakable stasis. He can move/eat/breathe/etc but the instant his X-gene kicked in his body stopped changing. So he's fat and out of shape forever to the point that he's useless. He won't get worse, but he won't get better. They called him Butterball I think. He ends up washing out of the program but two villains who kidnap him IIRC feel so bad for him after realizing the catch of his power that they cheer him up by pretending to have been beaten by him, complete with letting a photo get taken of him standing over them.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 4, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Those two villains were instructors at the academy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, that was Butterball. He showed up during Avengers: The Initiative and later made a few appearances in Avengers Academy. I liked him because he got to have a fun storyline and also because the middle of nowhere he's from is pretty close to the middle of nowhere I'm from. Part of his thing was that his invincibility basically extended all the way to being physically numb - he enters a relationship with a girl who pretty much ignites everyone she's around because she doesn't affect him, but his superpower is so thorough that he can't even get aroused.

(Also Taskmaster and Constrictor letting him beat them up were actually working as instructors and were trying to cheer him up after he got kicked out of the program but w/e)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah, that was Butterball. He showed up during Avengers: The Initiative and later made a few appearances in Avengers Academy. I liked him because he got to have a fun storyline and also because the middle of nowhere he's from is pretty close to the middle of nowhere I'm from. Part of his thing was that his invincibility basically extended all the way to being physically numb - he enters a relationship with a girl who pretty much ignites everyone she's around because she doesn't affect him, but his superpower is so thorough that he can't even get aroused.

(Also Taskmaster and Constrictor letting him beat them up were actually working as instructors and were trying to cheer him up after he got kicked out of the program but w/e)
I misremembered, yeah. For some reason I thought he got kidnapped or villains attacked or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Taskmaster is the best

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I can't remember the comic but there's actually I think an X-men comic or spinoff where there's a story about a bunch of kids being trained because their powers are good (I didn't think it was the Xavier institute but I can't recall).

One fat and out of shape kid has the power of being completely, utterly, immutably invincible. Like, the strongest characters in the comic's universe would not be able to physically harm him.

The problem is that his invincibility is because his body is in some sort of permanent unbreakable stasis. He can move/eat/breathe/etc but the instant his X-gene kicked in his body stopped changing. So he's fat and out of shape forever to the point that he's useless. He won't get worse, but he won't get better. They called him Butterball I think. He ends up washing out of the program but two villains who kidnap him IIRC feel so bad for him after realizing the catch of his power that they cheer him up by pretending to have been beaten by him, complete with letting a photo get taken of him standing over them.

Duuuude, this is awesome! I have got to read this one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For someone as blatantly a Mary Sue as Taskmaster is, he gets a surprising amount of excellent writing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrSunshine posted:

Duuuude, this is awesome! I have got to read this one.

That was the only real good part of Initiative I liked. Most of the rest isn't good

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I always thought a guy who's power is invincibility would make a good teacher. Like, someone who's not strong or fast enough to keep up with the big time heroes, but able to withstand any kind of punishment so he could help teach kids who didn't have full control of their powers.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah, it mostly wasn't good, but this part really loving was. You end up really feeling for that poor fat slob.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It ain't invisibility, but I'll do you one better...or worse, I guess. It's also an X-Men guy.

This dude's name is ForgetMeNot. His "Power," basically, is that he's utterly forgettable on a personal, narrative, and cosmic level. Nobody notices him, nobody remembers him. If he deliberately tries to interact with you, yeah, sure, then the twain shall meet, but the minute your conversation's over or you get distracted or you look away for a second, you won't remember having ever run into the guy at all. This works on people, machines, programs, etc. No photographs of him exist and he never shows up on security footage.

Needless to say, the guy's been secretly instrumental to a lot of X-Men victories, only of course nobody remembers him. That used to bum him out, but eventually he realized that being so forgettable meant he could do a lot of good from the shadows for the sake of the little guy. Big name heroes make big time enemies. You get famous and suddenly you're always tussling with demigods and monsters and world-ending aliens and megalomaniacs who think they know what's best. You get on a lot of people's personal hit lists. Even if you're widely beloved, you're likely being held to an impossible standard, and you're definitely spending all your time fighting off cosmic threats rather than improving people's day-to-day lives. So, ForgetMeNot made peace with his predicament and mostly spends his time, out of sight, out of mind, making a lot of little differences in people's lives.

X-Men swings and misses a lot of the time, but I've always liked this guy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Bad Seafood posted:

It ain't invisibility, but I'll do you one better...or worse, I guess. It's also an X-Men guy.

This dude's name is ForgetMeNot. His "Power," basically, is that he's utterly forgettable on a personal, narrative, and cosmic level. Nobody notices him, nobody remembers him. If he deliberately tries to interact with you, yeah, sure, then the twain shall meet, but the minute your conversation's over or you get distracted or you look away for a second, you won't remember having ever run into the guy at all. This works on people, machines, programs, etc. No photographs of him exist and he never shows up on security footage.

Needless to say, the guy's been secretly instrumental to a lot of X-Men victories, only of course nobody remembers him. That used to bum him out, but eventually he realized that being so forgettable meant he could do a lot of good from the shadows for the sake of the little guy. Big name heroes make big time enemies. You get famous and suddenly you're always tussling with demigods and monsters and world-ending aliens and megalomaniacs who think they know what's best. You get on a lot of people's personal hit lists. Even if you're widely beloved, you're likely being held to an impossible standard, and you're definitely spending all your time fighting off cosmic threats rather than improving people's day-to-day lives. So, ForgetMeNot made peace with his predicament and mostly spends his time, out of sight, out of mind, making a lot of little differences in people's lives.

Why have I never heard of this guy? I'm going to look him up. Sounds awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Why have I never heard of this guy?

I'd imagine that's the point. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sorry, who are you talking about?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sounds like Agent "!" from the Brotherhood of Dada.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Guys, what's with this sudden derail.

Get back to talking about My Hero Academia.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

Still invisible because invisibility isn't her quirk, like Tokoyami's bird head isn't his quirk.

People keep saying this but I don't think it's true. All the author said in the omake was that there was more to her quirk than just invisibility, not that it wasn't her quirk.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd imagine that's the point. :v:

whoosh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hagakure had to have passed the entrance exam somehow. It wasn't a sneaking mission.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

RatHat posted:

People keep saying this but I don't think it's true. All the author said in the omake was that there was more to her quirk than just invisibility, not that it wasn't her quirk.

It's possible she's just an invisible person who also has a Quirk. Sorta like how Tokoyami is a birdman who has a Quirk totally unrelated to being a bird.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

It's possible she's just an invisible person who also has a Quirk. Sorta like how Tokoyami is a birdman who has a Quirk totally unrelated to being a bird.

I wonder if Hagakure's parents are also both invisible (like how Asui's parents are both frog-like).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vengarr posted:

Maybe, but people are talking like that's a fact which isn't true.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Hagakure had to have passed the entrance exam somehow. It wasn't a sneaking mission.

I'm telling you guys, it's telekinetic force-field powers just like Sue Storm, and Hagakure just happens to be a nudist.

Bad Seafood posted:

This reminds me of a character from an Alan Moore 2000AD comic -- The Ballad of Halo Jones -- who's basically a person who has had so many sex changes that they ended up somewhere in between, and somehow gained the ability to not be noticed or remembered.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There was another Marvel character with the exact same schtick--she had some sort of field that immediately deleted her existence from people's brains (and all recording devices, somehow). She showed up in the Agent X comics, where the main character had juuust the right amount of brain damage to be the only one who could see her.

Interesting concept, but obviously tricky to write long-term.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm telling you guys, it's telekinetic force-field powers just like Sue Storm, and Hagakure just happens to be a nudist.

This reminds me of a character from an Alan Moore 2000AD comic -- The Ballad of Halo Jones -- who's basically a person who has had so many sex changes that they ended up somewhere in between, and somehow gained the ability to not be noticed or remembered.

It's not entirely impossible that's the source of the idea. ForgetMeNot was created by ex-2000AD writer Si Spurrier

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

what if you just had the person showing up in the background of the comic doing things all the time but nobody ever comments on it or notices

they can avoid the attention of everybody except the reader

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

DrSunshine posted:

If that ain't a metaphor for transgender invisibility or uh whatever or gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vengarr posted:

There was another Marvel character with the exact same schtick--she had some sort of field that immediately deleted her existence from people's brains (and all recording devices, somehow). She showed up in the Agent X comics, where the main character had juuust the right amount of brain damage to be the only one who could see her.

There is also a Touhou character like this. Naturally, she's one of the most popular characters in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For some reason I'm getting this feeling that we're headed towards something that will change the classroom setting of the series and that bugs me.

I mean, I'm kinda doubting the public will tolerate more villain attacks on the kids if they're in school after this debacle so something has to happen to deal with that problem.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 5, 2016