Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks, I've heard of Ting, but I would like to avoid a monthly bill of any sort if possible and I think that's how theirs work, does it?

I'd like just a fill-up of whatever minutes which would preferably expire no earlier than a year and allow calls to Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So my dads $30 talk/text plan expired and turned into their $35 plan. Will Fido retention match Wind's $25 plan or have anything similar?

e: Looks like Chatr has a $25 plan too. Hm.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 2, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

I'd like just a fill-up of whatever minutes which would preferably expire no earlier than a year and allow calls to Canada.

Might be worth it to ask in the US cell plan thread.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Acer Pilot posted:

So my dads $30 talk/text plan expired and turned into their $35 plan. Will Fido retention match Wind's $25 plan or have anything similar?

e: Looks like Chatr has a $25 plan too. Hm.

Wind probably not, Chatr they should. How did his plan "expire" exactly?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I was wrong, he's still on the loyalty monthly plan but his $5 credit expired. Can I get that back?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, that should be easy enough to get back if you call and talk to retentions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Scudworth posted:

Might be worth it to ask in the US cell plan thread.

Thanks, will do. Just thought that maybe enough fellow :canada: have been in a similar situation before and might have a go-to. I'll ask there. :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have piss poor coverage at my house, and there's nothing I can do about it due to the lay of the land and trees.

Wifi calling seems like a solution, but Telus doesn't have it. Well, they do, but its an awful in-house (3rd party perhaps?) app that's apparently still in beta AND invite only.

Time to jump ship.

Looks like Bell and Rogers have Wifi calling enabled.

Can anyone on Fido comment? I assume I don't need to pay extra, I just need to flip the option on under settings.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

Fido user here, iPhone wifi calling has been amazing since they started supporting it late last year. My house is surrounded by large trees and it makes quite a difference.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

gmcsonoma posted:

Fido user here, iPhone wifi calling has been amazing since they started supporting it late last year. My house is surrounded by large trees and it makes quite a difference.

Thanks. :)

In related news, I called Telus and they let me into the Wifi calling "beta".

The app seems to work alright, so I'll stick with them for now (really didn't want to lose my SK plan).

Still baffled as to why they cant just use the native WiFi calling like the rest of the world but this is Telus after all. If there's one thing Telus loves, its proprietary apps. They usually give in, so I'm sure native iOS Wifi calling is coming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone got an S7 on Rogers in an area with LTE-A? This phone is supposed to be compatible with it (Cat 9/450Mbps) but my speedtests are definitely not hitting that.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Got this today:

quote:

Starting on your June 2016 Virgin Mobile bill, the monthly fee for your rate plan will be going up. This increase will affect the mobile numbers listed below:
***-***-**** increasing by $5
No one likes getting higher bills from their mobile carrier, but we're dedicated to making sure that you keep getting the awesome service and super fast network you've come to expect from us. We're still giving you our best value possible and we want you to know that we're doing everything to keep our fees as low as possible.

Because of this increase, you can change or cancel your plan with NO cancellation fee up to 30 days after your June bill date.

I'm on the $35 Unlimited/1gb plan, off contract, so this is either them getting rid of their BYOP option or them just increasing the price because they can.

I'll still only be paying $40 for what's essentially a $50 plan, so I'm not too fretted. Anyone elses plans increasing?

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
It's a shame I don't like getting pounded in my rear end in a top hat because I'm shopping around for a BYOD plan with a gig of data and I'm about to get, uh, pounded in my rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I just threw out my indian sim card ($12 for a sim and 3GB) and my thai sim card ($16 for a sim and 4GB)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Migishu posted:

Got this today:

I'm on the $35 Unlimited/1gb plan, off contract, so this is either them getting rid of their BYOP option or them just increasing the price because they can.

I'll still only be paying $40 for what's essentially a $50 plan, so I'm not too fretted. Anyone elses plans increasing?

Telcos can't do this to people who are on contract, only month to month and new contracts. As for the price increase, yeah, it's pretty much across the board for the major carriers and their fighter brands. How the gently caress Canadian telcos get away with blatant price fixing I will never understand.

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Doing BYOD and switching to a fighter brand I guess. Nothing under $65 with the Big 3. On vacation mode with Telus at the moment so not much retention muscle...

Any reason not to go with Chatr? Robelus network, ja? They have $45 500mb unl talk/text, though I also might go with Fido as they have something similar with 2 year Spotify Premium for free.

The big three even changed their websites to look the same when plan shopping. If you own stock I hope you sleep well on your pile of filthy monopoly money. Maybe I should buy some.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I am following thru with my plan to use my work phone 24\7 (5GB plan!) and port my personal number to either a prepaid thing and forward it to my work phone or transfer it to a VoIP service thingy (which looks way complicated at this point). I don't really want to give up my cell number I've had since I have lived here, but I use like 300mb a month for work (basically emails and attachments) and the rest is going down the drain while I have to ration my puny 1gb plan on my personal phone.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking into upgrading to something relatively inexpensive coming from a Nexus 4. I've been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (might buy it from here). Now, forgive my ignorance, but will this phone even work with Fido's network? And if so, does anyone have a recommended web shop to get it from?

edit: apparently it will function on the 3g network just fine, but 2g and LTE access would be intermittent given that only 1 band is supported.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 11, 2016

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
ignore this wrong thread

But also if anyone can tell me if there are actual good options in Vancouver that would be good cause i can't find any really

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good options for....?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gmcsonoma posted:

With Rogers I occasionally get long distance call warnings for local calls when I'm on it, but I have unlimited Canadian LD so it doesn't matter for me.

Presumably they're not charging people long distance rates for wifi calls though, but I guess you never know with them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bce-buys-manitoba-telecom-1.3561982

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress everything. What a bunch of bullshit. Goddamn oligopoly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gonna be clinging to my 10GB Rogers plan with Manitoba pricing for dear life now. With my corporate discount I've got it under fifty dollars, and hopefully I get grandfathered in rather than having the rate jacked.

(Who am I kidding it's going to happen anyways)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm going to be grandfathered on the Koodo SKMB plan forever then, I guess.

Telecom in this country sucks. My CTO at my former job used to run a business ISP and when I got myself on the SKMB plan I came in and said, "hey Erik, I scammed a telecom!" and before even hearing what I had to say he gave me a high-five.

Even telecom people hate telecoms.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"The cost of an unlimited nationwide calling share plan in Manitoba is $50. The same plan in Ontario is $65. The difference in data costs are even larger: Bell offers 6 GB for $20 in Manitoba. The same $20 will get you just 500 MB in Ontario. In fact, 5 GB costs $50 in Ontario, more than double the cost in Manitoba for less data. "

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2016/05/why-bells-plan-to-buy-mts-could-kill-the-governments-fourth-wireless-carrier-strategy/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm looking into upgrading to something relatively inexpensive coming from a Nexus 4. I've been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (might buy it from here). Now, forgive my ignorance, but will this phone even work with Fido's network? And if so, does anyone have a recommended web shop to get it from?

edit: apparently it will function on the 3g network just fine, but 2g and LTE access would be intermittent given that only 1 band is supported.

It should work with the Fido network no problem, if not and you want a cheap chinese branded phone go with the Honor X5

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hilarious. I cannot wait for two of the big three to merge and the population of Saskatchewan to swell with cellular refugees.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised Brad Wall hasn't sold off SaskTel to one of them in exchange for 1Q's worth of profits yet.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

It was nice knowing you MTS. *pours one out*

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Well, I feel less dumb about going back on contract with Rogers to get a fifty buck nexus 6p and ten gigs now, at least.

mewse
May 2, 2006

With MTS getting sold we are hosed as consumers. Every national carrier has special "manitoba plans" specifically to compete with MTS, all that will end.

Pretty big coincidence that this is announced almost immediately following the election of a conservative provincial government.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm sure SaskTel is next. Even more so sure knowing how big the provincial deficit will be for the next few years

Better get on a good plan now Manitoba people. There's no way in hell that Bell will keep MTS's competitive plans around and you know drat well the big 3 will bump theirs up as soon as they can.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The fix here is for all the Canadian goons to get together and start a corporation, then get yourselves a corporate plan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's actually not that expensive to incorporate. But don't you have to like, not show zero activity? Do you lose your corporation if you literally have one employee that generates zero income and gets paid nothing for too long?

And is that even a requirement? I had a corporate plan with Rogers as an individual once upon a time. I got a better deal than other people, and I felt like when I called in to the corporate support line I got answered MUCH quicker. I don't know how I got on it, it just happened one day when I switched plans, then they said, "Oh we'll transfer you to corporate account support" and I'm like okay then.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
To the surprise of no one

http://mobilicity.ca/chatrFAQ/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Did you join for data usage, kiss that poo poo goodbye.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

RIP Mobilicity. I really liked them as a carrier, but oddball low building penetration spectrum was a death sentence.

So all that is left to be absorbed now is VideoTron, SaskTel, Eastlink & tbaytel and we can get on with the serious business of restoring The Bell Telephone Company of Canada total monopoly in the hopes of one day reverting our national phone network to pulse dialing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Reading people defend Bell Canada against wholesaling internet is eye opening. As in, my eyes are open to the genocide of canadians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bell-appeal-bains-1.3577044

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Did you join for data usage, kiss that poo poo goodbye.

Has chatr always had this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you like HSPA [not HSPA+] data that's artificially throttled, yeah it's a thing