Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i know youre trying to be all smarmy and cunty but youre still wrong

but this ones more relevant to you

;)

rekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

at the date posted:

Don't set out to be a "CNC machinist" if you want to make any money at all. "CNC machinists" more often than not are actually "operators," which involves a lot of watching tools stir coolant and not much analytical thought. By the nature of their job, CNC operators will dwindle as the robots they are assigned to monitor get better at monitoring themselves. CAD/CAM guys are usually called something different, and those jobs too are getting assigned more to engineers as the machines get vastly more capable and complicated. In my opinion, and I am aware that some people more qualified than me would disagree, the only sustainable machining career after 2020 is in small-lot and custom work, which relies on a broad knowledge base and rewards flexibility. Even for small-lot or one-off work CNC programming and setup is an essential skill*, but that alone won't get you very far.

*There are always exceptions. Most auto shops don't use CNC anything.

e: My opinion may be faintly colored by an aesthetic bias against CNC machining, but I think I gave the question a fair shake here.

Pretty sure that's what my family friend does - he works in a small shop that does one-offs and prototypes for bigger firms. In his free time he does custom car parts. I don't know enough about the industry but it seems like he's making pretty nice cash, as are the apprentices he trains.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

Pretty sure that's what my family friend does - he works in a small shop that does one-offs and prototypes for bigger firms. In his free time he does custom car parts. I don't know enough about the industry but it seems like he's making pretty nice cash, as are the apprentices he trains.

Yeah, it's nice work if you can get it. I'm actually going back to work as a machinist at a small local shop over my summer break. I was tempted last year to sell my old tools to fund a substantial car repair, and now I'm awfully glad I sold the car instead.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Got a letter in the mail today from the VA with my certificate of eligibility for Post-911 GI Bill benefits at 60%.

It's just too drat bad that's not what I applied for. I applied for the Fry Scholarship which provides 100% benefits for military survivors.

loving VA can't even see what loving piece of paper I submitted.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Had to declare a minor for my degree, so I chose art.

now I can finally wear a beret.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

elite_garbage_man posted:

Had to declare a minor for my degree, so I chose art.

now I can finally wear a beret.

The amount of good butts in my fine art classes are ridiculous

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I'm looking forward to the change of scenery.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNally posted:

Got a letter in the mail today from the VA with my certificate of eligibility for Post-911 GI Bill benefits at 60%.

It's just too drat bad that's not what I applied for. I applied for the Fry Scholarship which provides 100% benefits for military survivors.

loving VA can't even see what loving piece of paper I submitted.

This and the daughter thing is loving hilarious and insane. If this wasn't real it would be the plot on "VA in LA" or whatever sitcom that it would star in.

I'm a few incidents away before just recommending you go killdozer.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
First day back to college, man this poo poo is gonna be weird.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mike-o posted:

First day back to college, man this poo poo is gonna be weird.

One of the things I had the most difficulty with at first was just how little was actually expected of me, in intro classes. My idiot lizard brain had a hell of a hard time understanding that I just had to show up for 3 whole hours in a week and maybe do two or three pages of reading. Like really, that's it? This is the super hard college life that everyone in the military said was so loving hard?

Then you see people who can't do it somehow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

One of the things I had the most difficulty with at first was just how little was actually expected of me, in intro classes. My idiot lizard brain had a hell of a hard time understanding that I just had to show up for 3 whole hours in a week and maybe do two or three pages of reading. Like really, that's it? This is the super hard college life that everyone in the military said was so loving hard?

Yea this

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I guess I got caught up in drama after sleeping with one of the 19 year olds in my department while at a conference.

Pro-tip: don't sleep with 19 year olds in your own department.

Also helps to not care about school drama

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I try to keep my social life a complete mystery. All dates are off-campus and with people outside of my regular circle of friends. It's already a little awkward being 3-4 years older than everybody else—the last thing I need is some loving relationship drama at a small, fairly conservative college.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

I guess I got caught up in drama after sleeping with one of the 19 year olds in my department while at a conference.

Pro-tip: don't sleep with 19 year olds in your own department.

Also helps to not care about school drama

You took advantage of that poor, lost girl, didn't you?

Bravo Zulu

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Spoke with the VA today. I was all "I applied for the Fry Scholarship. It's a completely different form than Chapter 33 GI Bill, but I got my CoE for my Chapter 33 benefits."

They were all "yeah, that's weird. I'll kick it back and have them look at it again. Call us back in five business days."

I should have my loving Senator on speed dial by this point, goddamn.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

I didn't think I would feel like that but I've got this dumb anxiety about getting all the poo poo I need and being ready tomorrow. Also I feel weird as gently caress being the old dude in class, but there's lots of vets here but I still feel weird around them too. Need to go home and chill the gently caress out because I'm just psyching myself out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

McNally posted:

Spoke with the VA today. I was all "I applied for the Fry Scholarship. It's a completely different form than Chapter 33 GI Bill, but I got my CoE for my Chapter 33 benefits."

They were all "yeah, that's weird. I'll kick it back and have them look at it again. Call us back in five business days."

I should have my loving Senator on speed dial by this point, goddamn.

I like how all the poo poo involving your wife has you being indecisive on calling your senator but one instance with this being the last straw, of all things

Burn the va to the ground

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

NTT posted:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Your wife being your daughter is also Deers.txt

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NTT posted:

I like how all the poo poo involving your wife has you being indecisive on calling your senator but one instance with this being the last straw, of all things

Oh, no, I'm cataloging everything into a "this is all broken and it needs to be razed the ground" tome of misery and dread. I made the decision to write it weeks ago and I've been refining and adding to it as needed. I never contacted my senator before because what would have been the point? Things got resolved, it just took extra effort. Then I realized everything was coalescing into a crystal made of incompetence, indifference, and feces.

A copy is going to my congressman, both senators, the Chief of Staff of the Army (he sent me his business card in his condolence note, so he's getting contacted), and the Secretary of the Army (who hand-wrote a note of condolence on the typewritten one. Pretend to care, get dragged into the mess, rear end in a top hat).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Inshallah

App13
Dec 31, 2011

at the date posted:

I try to keep my social life a complete mystery. All dates are off-campus and with people outside of my regular circle of friends. It's already a little awkward being 3-4 years older than everybody else—the last thing I need is some loving relationship drama at a small, fairly conservative college.

This should be in the SOP for all first time student vets.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

at the date posted:

source your quotes

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Mike-o posted:

I didn't think I would feel like that but I've got this dumb anxiety about getting all the poo poo I need and being ready tomorrow. Also I feel weird as gently caress being the old dude in class, but there's lots of vets here but I still feel weird around them too. Need to go home and chill the gently caress out because I'm just psyching myself out.

Bro, just relax. The biggest gently caress ups in the world are probably your classmates. Treat it like a job, show up, go home at the end of the day. The part on campus is just to show your professors you're alive, the stressful part with essays and poo poo is all done in the comfort of your own home.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
sooo diamond joe is speaking at my school this week, but the topic is preventing sexual assault. I'm 50/50 about going

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

sooo diamond joe is speaking at my school this week, but the topic is preventing sexual assault. I'm 50/50 about going

you should go, youll probably learn all his secret techniques

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Did you really get out, just to get another sexual assault training?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Go so you can tell him about the coup we're going to launch when he isn't president.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 5, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Laranzu posted:

Did you really get out, just to get another sexual assault training?

Hahaha. You can never escape!

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Soulex posted:

Hahaha. You can never escape!

I'm an RA at my college and they have a series of trainings every semester. Each semester there are 3-5 trainings that involve sexual violence/harassment in some way from separate departments that don't communicate in any way..

loving sucks balls.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

DaNerd posted:

loving sucks balls.

That's rape.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you guys were right, holy gently caress there's some dumb loving people in college. This one dude keeps on making dumb remarks about how he doesn't get it and it's stupid in my Pre-Algebra class because i'm a dumb dumb and need remedial classes. But he's even dumber than me, like god drat i haven't done this poo poo for 12 years and I'm picking it up quick as gently caress.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Mike-o posted:

Yeah you guys were right, holy gently caress there's some dumb loving people in college. This one dude keeps on making dumb remarks about how he doesn't get it and it's stupid in my Pre-Algebra class because i'm a dumb dumb and need remedial classes. But he's even dumber than me, like god drat i haven't done this poo poo for 12 years and I'm picking it up quick as gently caress.

This. I have a hard time believing how retarded some of these people are. And as for stressing, I hear ya. When I first started back up I took an online class about Latin American culture, and we have to do a weekly essay 2-3 pages as well as reply to a discussion post every week. I stressed hard about that first essay and put a ton of effort into it, getting an A in the end. I slowly over the course of the class put less and less effort in seeing what the teachers threshold was for dipping below an A- and I still haven't found it yet.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Dude, those first classes can suck since you're basically in a class filled with a younger version of yourself hahaha. It gets better after a year or two, so don't let some annoying kid take the wind out of your sails.

The classes will get more difficult, but you'll be surrounded by people that are a little more motivated to seek help during office hours and not waste everyone's time bitching about not getting something during class.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Mike-o posted:

Convince him that college is a waste of time and that he should enlist instead.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Delizin posted:

Convince him that college is a waste of time and that he should enlist instead.
This is the right thing to do.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
then do it in your schools designated "safe space"

hint: it may be the vet's lounge

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

then do it in your schools designated "safe space"

just don't raise your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I started my first day of classes today. I went to college and dropped out before enlisting, so I'm incredibly nervous about repeating past mistakes, so today has been an odd mix of emotions for me. On the other hand, I just saw my first confirmed veteran. Dude wearing IR flag hat; 5.11 jacket, complete with IR flag and blood type; USMC lanyards; and a glorious vet beard. I'm waiting for him to bring up his service

• Locked thread