Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Do ducks care about having access to the pond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Amdis posted:

Do ducks care about having access to the pond?

Nope.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Artificer posted:

Do you just get a shitload of xp harvesting then? So once my blueberry harvest comes in I should get a lot of xp right?

I was level 5 farming. I harvested something like 300 crops and the next morning I was level 7. The next time around I harvested 700 crops and I was level 10 the following morning.

Fishing to 10 I did by looting 4500 crab pots. The last skill I got to 10 was foraging.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 4, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mazz posted:

The fruit tree needs the 8 squares completely clear until they are fully grow, which takes 28 days. Once they are fully grown, you can fill in the tiles with grass/roads/whatever and they'll still fruit in season. They can't overlap so you technically need 2 empty rows between each tree.

Regular trees don't need that extra space and the 8 tiles only need to be clear if you want to the trees to grow at the fastest speed.

My farm as an example:

In the top corner of my farm you can see how the fruit trees have 2 rows of gravel between all of them, in a 2x6. The tapper orchard below has 3x6 in the exact same amount of space, because the trees only have a 1 tile gap vertically.

The big patterned orchard at the bottom is only 1 tile seperation filled with cobble to stop seeds from appearing when they grow. The first trees started popping on the 18th of spring I think, with most still not done on the 20th of that save, with all planted on the first of the year.

That is a hell of a farm.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is that a good guide for how much space to fence off for your animals in coops and barns?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks

Artificer posted:

Is that a good guide for how much space to fence off for your animals in coops and barns?

Yes and no. It's just what I ended up with and it works for the number I have currently. That field in front of the coop can support about 8-9 coop animals, but they'll be slowly eating more than is growing. At a full 12 it was pretty noticeable that the animals were loving the grass up. The barn field should support about the same. That being said, if you just cut all the extra grass around the lake and the corner at the beginning of the season, the farm has enough silo space to hold hay for ~28 animals for a full season. Right now I have 11 between the coop and first barn, as the second barn in front of the trellis fields is for kegs.

You really don't need more than 1-2 of each animal at any given time. Chickens kinda get pointless once you get the shipping/bundles done since Ducks lay a single egg type (instead of 4) usable in every recipe and also drop feathers. I stockpiled some mayo (since that doesn't swap) and sold all my chickens once they all hit max value. 4 ducks and 2 rabbits now.

Goats and sheep are also kinda pointless past the shipping stuff, since rabbits are better wool machines than sheep and goat cheese/milk doesn't work in most recipes.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 4, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mazz posted:

Goats and sheep are also kinda pointless past the shipping stuff, since rabbits are better wool machines than sheep and goat cheese/milk doesn't work in most recipes.

It's true, but I can't get rid of any of my goats because they're all related. I have three generations of parthenogenic goats, gotta keep it going.

Basically once you get the greenhouse up and fill it with cranberries/blueberries you will drown in money no matter what.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Artificer posted:

Okay yeah so unless you're stockpiling Melons and Corn for bundles and gifts and you want all the money you can get, planting blueberries even if you would only get a single harvest out of them is still worth it.

I'm probably going to plant some Melons though because I need to make sure I get 5 gold stars AND 32 melons for sweet sweet Penny.
It's worth noting, her birthday is right at the start of Autumn, so save something for that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Re: skills, I have every skill at 10 besides Fishing, which is at 5. I'm gonna set up more Crab Pots soon, since I picked that having almost completely neglected normal fishing for the longest time. Oh well.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
What are the conditions and correct location for night fishing?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Subhazard posted:

What are the conditions and correct location for night fishing?

"Night time" starts at 6:00pm I believe. And fishing anywhere you can normally fish after that time is night fishing.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

"Night time" starts at 6:00pm I believe. And fishing anywhere you can normally fish after that time is night fishing.

Thank you.

that ring sounds nice

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

1.07 went public

quote:

Gameplay:
Spouses now say unique dialogues during festivals (most of the time), rather than the generic handful of dialogues
Spouse stands next to you at the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies
In-law dialogue... when you marry someone, their parents/relatives dialogues will change slightly to account for the change
Sam, Sebastian, and Abigail now go to the saloon on fridays after you marry them.
Spouses won't leave on rainy days, unless they have to go to work.
Fruit trees produce higher quality fruit as they age. (once per year, up to gold star)
Fruit tree harvesting now involves shaking the tree to drop the fruit
Lightning strikes now have a unique effect on fruit trees
Lightning is more likely to strike trees and crops, but lightning rods now have a very good chance of intercepting lightning strikes (if they aren't already processing a lightning bolt)
Charcoal Kiln now requires 10 wood to produce 1 coal, down from 20
Maxed-out friendship levels will no longer decay
Added another digit to the shipping menu money counters.
Dying in mines is less harsh: money lost caps at 5000g, rate of item loss reduced, can't lose rings or the Galaxy Sword
Your assigned movement keys are now used within Journey Of The Prairie King
You can now retrieve powerups and coins that drop on the edge of the map in Journey Of The Prairie King
The last two hearts are now greyed-out for marriage candidates until you give them the bouquet
Willy now likes most fish dishes
Adventurer's Guild now sells monster slayer rewards after you've unlocked them (you still get the free reward)
Hardware mouse cursor option

Bug Fixes:
Tools left in chests within farm buildings won't count as "missing"
Poppy properly consumed in poppyseed muffin recipe
Can no longer incorrectly "consume" trap bobbers (click to make them disappear with strange sound)
Agriculturist profession no longer causes an extra 25% growth rate when speed-gro isn't present. Speed increase effects should now properly apply to very slow-growing crops.
Fixed sunflower seed price at JojaMart
Chests should no longer appear on top of you in bed after upgrading your house.
Item placement with the gamepad improved, and there is now an option to show an item placement indicator
Snow yams shouldn't appear in the desert anymore
Sea Cucumber should properly appear in the fishing tab of the Shipping menu
Farm animals should no longer get stuck on fences placed directly to the right of the barn door.
Various minor bug fixes.
Minor changes/fixes to dialogue

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 4, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I wonder if the in-law dialogue includes festivals. It's always a little amusing when Demitrius says that you can join their family table if you have nowhere else to sit... when you're married to Maru. :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

quote:

Fruit tree harvesting now involves shaking the tree to drop the fruit
Why :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

drunk asian neighbor posted:

-Fertilizer. Always use it. Get Quality Fertilizer if it's available. Both kinds will last through multiple plantings in a single season. You will make more money with them. Regular fertilizer is also super easy to get - just cut a bunch of trees down and use the Sap from them.

For crops with multiple products per harvest (blueberries, etc), fertiliser only affects the first berry harvested from each plant.
On the other hand, for blueberries, deluxe speed-gro gives you one more harvest before end of season.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I only learned today (Summer of Year 2) that I can place my kegs and such inside the barns

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe Caroline and Pierre will mention that they have a lot more money over than before when they don't have to buy buckets of quartz every month. :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's just a slightly different animation when you click the tree is all. Don't worry!

pyf (post your farm)

I think I'll spread my lightning rods out a bit. Just in case.

e: Penny changed all the walls when she moved in. Dammit woman.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

HopperUK posted:

It's just a slightly different animation when you click the tree is all. Don't worry!

Eh, depending on how things bounce and especially if you don't have a magnet/iridium ring on, fruit can bounce into the lakes if you planted your fruit trees too close to them. :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HopperUK posted:

e: Penny changed all the walls when she moved in. Dammit woman.
i got a new appreciation for this mechanic because my father recently got remarried at 61 and his new wife wasted no time in changing all the walls and knocking out a chest-high thingy in the kitchen

i mean in her defense, the kitchen blows in that house so it's a big improvement, but it immediately reminded me of this thread and everyone flipping that their new spouses change everything

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i got a new appreciation for this mechanic because my father recently got remarried at 61 and his new wife wasted no time in changing all the walls and knocking out a chest-high thingy in the kitchen

i mean in her defense, the kitchen blows in that house so it's a big improvement, but it immediately reminded me of this thread and everyone flipping that their new spouses change everything

She put the kiddie dinosaur wallpaper up in our bedroom! No Penny. No.

Re lake-bouncing fruit, argh, yeah, I didn't think of that. I always have a magnet ring on because I'm lazy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GotLag posted:

For crops with multiple products per harvest (blueberries, etc), fertiliser only affects the first berry harvested from each plant.
On the other hand, for blueberries, deluxe speed-gro gives you one more harvest before end of season.

Didn't know this, thanks for the tip!

New patch doesn't change much, though I didn't know lightning could hit crops or trees (I built 3 lightning rods pretty early on though which might explain that).

HopperUK posted:

I think I'll spread my lightning rods out a bit. Just in case.

Do we know for sure if their placement matters? I've always had all 3 right next to each other.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Didn't know this, thanks for the tip!

New patch doesn't change much, though I didn't know lightning could hit crops or trees (I built 3 lightning rods pretty early on though which might explain that).

Do we know for sure if their placement matters? I've always had all 3 right next to each other.

From what I can tell they cover the whole farm but a charged one won't absorb lightning. So having 10 in a corner somewhere is probably a good idea.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

quote:

Charcoal Kiln now requires 10 wood to produce 1 coal, down from 20

Yesssssss. I can finally do something about my hundreds of ores

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Yesssssss. I can finally do something about my hundreds of ores

Now if it could turn 1 hard wood into 1 coal I might use it.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
lol can marriage candidates get jealous? What's to stop me from being a player and getting everyone to want to marry me?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Subhazard posted:

lol can marriage candidates get jealous? What's to stop me from being a player and getting everyone to want to marry me?

Nothing. You can only marry one person but you can romance as many as you like. After you're married, your spouse will sometimes grumble to you if you give a gift to an eligible single, but it doesn't really matter.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Here's hoping someone mods in a total-conversion taking place on a Pacific Island. Even if it was just Hawaii I would love to grow sugarcane/rice paddies/macadamia trees and artisan some Soju (Rice Wine).

All for this. If I had any relevant skills, I'd jump on it myself. There's some awesome fish and produce on the big island.

Instead of useful wild trees, you could get a field of albizia that grow twice as fast, don't drop real wood, and fall over onto your coop in a stiff wind. :unsmigghh:

Christmas Cake fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/221/

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Um...what's the mod here, exactly? :confused:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Minarchist posted:

Um...what's the mod here, exactly? :confused:

Changes Eliot's portrait to Fabio

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

goodness posted:

Changes Eliot's portrait to Fabio

:thejoke:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Isaiah Mustafa Demetrius when.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Yeah you got me

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

How the gently caress long does the stupid slime incubator take to make a slime? I put the egg in there a week ago! Am I doing something wrong?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad the fishing mod I found just evens out the fishing mini game rather than just making it super easy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone please test to see if you can double up on burglar rings for even more drops
Was only a matter of time really

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
X suddenly isn't working for me while fishing. Does this have something to do with the patch? It just started tonight. It's by far the superior way to fish so it sucks if I'm going to have to use the mouse again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

edit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2cxxmkusb8thj7/Berry%20price%20reduction.zip?dl=0

berry price reduction mod

blueberries are now 30 instead of 80
cranberries are now 65 instead of 130

yes I did the math, they are still basically the best plants or are they? but now you won't have $10000000 by year 2

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 5, 2016