Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dishonored isn't the only recent game that has a supercontinent filled with horrifying nasties, and a few extant civilisations on smaller coastal islands. Path of Exile has you being exiled from the equivalent of New Zealand to an equivalent of Australia, filled with zombies and terrifying wildlife and supernatural monstrosities all on the remnants of a dead empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Phobophilia posted:

Dishonored isn't the only recent game that has a supercontinent filled with horrifying nasties, and a few extant civilisations on smaller coastal islands. Path of Exile has you being exiled from the equivalent of New Zealand to an equivalent of Australia, filled with zombies and terrifying wildlife and supernatural monstrosities all on the remnants of a dead empire.

Fixed that for you. :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Klaus88 posted:

Fixed that for you. :v:

The devs know what they're going for. They're from New Zealand. They clearly have something to prove.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Australia is a nice place to live just watch out for the tombs filled with poison spider bombs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
As long as you don't crawl under your house, or into a roof or look under rocks or walk through long grass Australia's fine.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As long as you don't crawl under your house, or into a roof or look under rocks or walk through long grass Australia's fine.

Sounds like the sort of things that would get you killed by a stealth game protagonist so it fits.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Great. The evil twit brings in a shipment of aggressive and fast breeding spiders that suddenly swarm the city, killing most of the population. :gonk:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Sounds like the sort of things that would get you killed by a stealth game protagonist so it fits.

Now it occurs to me there's no games where you're the highly venomous spider trying to murder people, as far as I'm aware anyway.

I'm going to call foul on the entire industry.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Listen: if I hear a whistle coming from some bushes, I'm going over there to have a look.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Now it occurs to me there's no games where you're the highly venomous spider trying to murder people, as far as I'm aware anyway.

Well I mean Corvo can:
Hide in small spaces
Climb really well
Leave traps for prey (Springrazors)
And has a weird multi eye thing going on with the mask

Corvo is actually a spider.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Listen: if I hear a whistle coming from some bushes, I'm going over there to have a look.

Unless it's Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven in which case it's just a dog/bird/cat

Stormgale posted:

Well I mean Corvo can:
Hide in small spaces
Climb really well
Leave traps for prey (Springrazors)
And has a weird multi eye thing going on with the mask

Corvo is actually a spider.

I have had so many near misses with aggressive spiders in my lifetime I can assume them whiffing their bites means Coolguye has been controlling them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I have had so many near misses with aggressive spiders in my lifetime I can assume them whiffing their bites means Coolguye has been controlling them.

Did they then try to raid your house for valuables, that would be the tell.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I seem to have problems with snakes instead of spiders. Whenever I feel like having juice in winter I'll grab some oranges from my tree except when there's a brown snake wrapped around the trunk. Then it's a no juice for breakfast day. :smith:

Stormgale posted:

There have been instances where they've pulled out a handgun and shot people before stashing away the bodies somewhere convenient .

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Stormgale posted:

I treat every aggressive spider encounter as a battle to the death and there is no chance for any of them to run off with my collection of haphazardly strewn around coins.

Delacroix posted:

I seem to have problems with snakes instead of spiders. Whenever I feel like having juice in winter I'll grab some oranges from my tree except when there's a brown snake wrapped around the trunk. Then it's a no juice for breakfast day. :smith:

I have a lot of near-snake stories too. When Coolguye complains about my devil's luck it also translates into not getting mauled by the wildlife here. Or by cars. I have a lot of "almost run down by negligent drivers" stories too. Also a few near-misses learning to fly planes.

Would you believe that this doesn't translate into accurate lottery ticket number selections? Not that I'm complaining.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I treat every aggressive spider encounter as a battle to the death and there is no chance for any of them to run off with my collection of haphazardly strewn around coins.

You know, it is weird how you and the spider stand opposite each other, taking turns hitting each other.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

or walk through long grass
In between this and the rat situation, I am now interpreting High Chaos as the Pokemon Gimmick Run. Corvo with the pokeballs clipped on the same belt as the springrazors. Sometimes he grabs the wrong one...

Orv
May 4, 2011
The worst I have to worry about is, being in west Texas, every couple months or so there'll just be a fairly large tarantula in the house. No reason, they just show up. One was just on the end of my bed one day when I woke up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tarantulas are big and fuzzy but can't really hurt humans.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Orv posted:

The worst I have to worry about is, being in west Texas, every couple months or so there'll just be a fairly large tarantula in the house. No reason, they just show up. One was just on the end of my bed one day when I woke up.

It was relaxing after crawling around in your mouth all night.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They still bother me with how they move. I kick real good though.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Orv posted:

I am very happy my parents decided on the DFW area. My biggest issue is roaches.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah but then you're in DFW and tarantulas are weird and all but, DFW...

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Orv posted:

Truthfully, I'd rather wake up to a tarantula at the foot of my bed than, oh say, at least a dozen cockroaches. Writhing and doing God knows what. Besides scarring the hell out of me.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The Wii game 'Deadly Creatures' has you playing as both a Tarantula and a Scorpion, and the final boss is a particularly dispicable human being that you have to sting in the groin a few times while avoiding eating shotgun blasts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm glad I live in a country too cold, dark and dong shaped to have a lot of those awful creepy critters.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Poil posted:

I'm glad I live in a country too cold, dark and dong shaped to have a lot of those awful creepy critters.

Norway and Sweden kinda look like floppy dings to me.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Llab posted:

Truthfully, I'd rather wake up to a tarantula at the foot of my bed than, oh say, at least a dozen cockroaches. Writhing and doing God knows what. Besides scarring the hell out of me.

You never see living cockroaches, just the dying or dead ones. The ones that are beyond hope but will still spend days weakly wiggling at any stimulus.

No, you never see the dozens living in the walls...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hymirvetr posted:

Norway and Sweden kinda look like floppy dings to me.
Ever looked at a map with only Sweden and Finland highlighted? :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sweden, flaccid dong of Scandinavia.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Orv posted:

I was raised in Fort Worth, and my conclusion is that if you're in Texas, it's Austin or nothing. That was a few years ago, though.

It's like, you go from everyone around you being aggressive Texan assholes (understood and accepted) of the up-tight judgmental type that arises from the ashes of the old south... To, oh hey Austin's where all the interesting people are! And the average age of the whole city is like 26! Stores open up at 10AM because noone is up earlier than that.

Now instead of one out of ten people being worth talking to or hanging out with, it's like five! Bad news, at least 2 or 3 of the rest need to be punched in the face. Urgently. Also, they're masquerading as cool people you should hang out with, good luck finding out which.

Just don't go to Corpus or San Antonio. Everyone I met from either of those places was batshit. Every last one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm in El Paso, as far west in west Texas as you can get. It's fairly cosmopolitan as Texas cities go, and has a fairly high portion of younger people, but it still has its fair share of crazy old white people and regular old assholes. Also our baseball team is named the Chihuahuas so kill me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jon Do posted:

I was raised in Fort Worth, and my conclusion is that if you're in Texas, it's Austin or nothing. That was a few years ago, though.

It's like, you go from everyone around you being aggressive Texan assholes (understood and accepted) of the up-tight judgmental type that arises from the ashes of the old south... To, oh hey Austin's where all the interesting people are! And the average age of the whole city is like 26! Stores open up at 10AM because noone is up earlier than that.

Now instead of one out of ten people being worth talking to or hanging out with, it's like five! Bad news, at least 2 or 3 of the rest need to be punched in the face. Urgently. Also, they're masquerading as cool people you should hang out with, good luck finding out which.

Just don't go to Corpus or San Antonio. Everyone I met from either of those places was batshit. Every last one.

Are you sure you're not just describing UT?

Having E-rock within an hours drive is a pretty cool feature of the city though.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Dishonored 5 is set in low-fantasy Texas some 200 years after the current games, with swarms of cockroaches carrying fantasy Ebola.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

Are you sure you're not just describing UT?
Well, as someone who never went to school there, and went there only a few times... sometimes it's hard to tell where UT stops and ACC begins and where the line between ACC students and the general population lies. Whole city kind of felt like it operated on college mentality. Drugs and booze all night every night, no enrollment required.

Still miss it a lot -- I'm taking care of family in rural northern Arkansas, and... go even further out of your way to avoid Arkansas than you normally would.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sel Nar posted:

The Wii game 'Deadly Creatures' has you playing as both a Tarantula and a Scorpion, and the final boss is a particularly dispicable human being that you have to sting in the groin a few times while avoiding eating shotgun blasts.

Why has no one LP'd that yet? A great injustice,if I do say so myself. :colbert:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

Much like Austin, Dunwall lacks a mass-transportation solution, contains people who worship strange things, and has no shortage of Starscreamers.

San Antonio contains the Weepers that vomit on you, and a severe rat problem.

DFW I guess is the Dishonored mainland continent that gives no fucks about the tiny little island republics.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Jon Do posted:

You also described Louisville, KY. It's a small, cosmopolitan city surrounded by a state of hillbillies and horse owners. Why Trump decided to have his rally in Louisville instead of surrounded by wealthy horse owners in Lexington like the rest of the Republican candidates still has us all perplexed.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's great because when you listen to Americans, pretty much every single corner of that place is awful to live in :allears:

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

It's great because when you listen to Americans, pretty much every single corner of that place is awful to live in :allears:

Its all about finding the part of the country with an awfulness you can stand. Like Ohio is mostly okay to me..... but our roads have more orange barrels on them then cars and in westerville where I've recently moved from they've had orange barrels up and have torn up the roads for roughly....8 months now? They were supposed to be done by december. Then they flooded the roads and carved up about 30 more roads to work on simultaneously so that no one can get anywhere without wanting to strangle a construction worker. Those layabouts could take 2 months on a 20 meter stretch of road. Much less with 90% of the town and suburbs torn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Like I mentioned in the Majesty LP, the USA is not a country. It's about 5 or 6 different countries that have traditionally worked together. It's really more comparable to the EU as a whole entity than it is anything else, except that we have a handful of things figured out that the EU is still trying to piece together (like common currency and stuff).

With that in mind, you can effectively frame any comment you see about that sort of stuff in the framework of a French guy living in London or a German guy living in Spain, and it's both more accurate and way, way more funny thanks to the mental image.

• Locked thread