Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Really the person who got hosed over the most in part 2 was loggins

Remember loggins?

No?

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He got to make Esidisi feel better about losing his fap arm.
Messina didn't even get to do that. He lost a fight to bubbles mcdeadcross even.
What a loser. At least Mark the Nazi provided us with hah it's a Nazi who isn't explicitly evil oh he is dead though feelings.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FirstAidKite posted:

Really the person who got hosed over the most in part 2 was loggins

Remember loggins?

No?

Exactly.

What about Messina? He lives, but he doesn't even get mentioned in the epilogue.

Even Smokey got mentioned in the epilogue and he doesn't even do anything!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
smokey did plenty, he filled in for speedwagon

Messina and Loggins are just Dire but split up into two people who show up and then dont do anything except die/get maimed

Does Messina even have his other arm in the epilogue with his funeral-version of his outfit, because it'd be funny if he didn't and joseph showed up all "hey look I got this cool artificial hand from the nazis!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The exploding water trick was pretty funny I guess.

Lisa Lisa is the real MVP of BT.
She's the Best Best.

Her family trees a little weird though, cos it works on a Great > Shithead > Great > Shithead > Great basis.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If caesar had survived he could have gone on to become a barber with his cool bubble hamon shaving skills

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stroheim is the real BT jojobro.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I do think Joseph would still feel bad about Ceasar in old age. The last time he saw him he got into an argument with him and even then Ceasar still helped Joseph as his last act. For someone like Jospeh that would stick with him, imo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I still wanna know what the Russians were packing at Stalingrad to be able to take down Stroheim.

Jojoverse Russians must be crazy gnarly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's impressive that Stroheim was let into the United States for Joseph's not-funeral.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Even Smokey got mentioned in the epilogue and he doesn't even do anything!

I like to imagine that Smokey became a civil rights leader, because holy poo poo he was made mayor in Georgia?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stroheim wasn't present for Joseph's funeral.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's impressive that Stroheim was let into the United States for Joseph's not-funeral.

He wasn't at the funeral in the anime (not sure about the manga). When Joseph shows up, he even mentioned that Stroheim designed his hand, so Stroheim knew he was alive and probably met up with him in Italy.

Funky Valentine posted:

I like to imagine that Smokey became a civil rights leader, because holy poo poo he was made mayor in Georgia?

Well, I meant in terms of the story of Battle Tendency. Him becoming mayor is a great achievement, to be sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bad Seafood posted:

I still wanna know what the Russians were packing at Stalingrad to be able to take down Stroheim.

They were obviously Stand users.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Bad Seafood posted:

That's just what they want you to think.

Stroheim fled to Brazil with the rest of the regime after the war.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

They were obviously Stand users.

I mean hey, if the Mafia tried to get Stand users into its ranks, why not the Soviets during wartime?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stroheim fought valiantly, but he was no match for Stalin's [Iron Maiden]

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just saw an episode with Josuke. This was a good episode.

Question: did I get this right? Jotaro is there to discuss the inheritance with Josuke? They killed Joseph behind the scenes?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

Question: did I get this right? Jotaro is there to discuss the inheritance with Josuke? They killed Joseph behind the scenes?

Joseph is super old and can't make the trip right now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Say, weren't all the stands supposed to disappear when Dio died? Like, wasn't that the whole point of Jotaro and his mom's stands manifesting, and why Jotaro was motivated to pursue Dio? Though I guess that also brings into question why there are so many stand users that have made a career off of their stands, and why Kakyoin's stand manifested when he was a child.

I guess it's one of those things that just got written out?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Anonymous Robot posted:

Say, weren't all the stands supposed to disappear when Dio died? Like, wasn't that the whole point of Jotaro and his mom's stands manifesting, and why Jotaro was motivated to pursue Dio? Though I guess that also brings into question why there are so many stand users that have made a career off of their stands, and why Kakyoin's stand manifested when he was a child.

It's never really stated outright in part 3 but kinda implied that once you master a stand it's yours for good, regardless of how you got it

holly's went away because she didn't have the personality for a stand user (I still think Hollywood Rose is the only acceptable name for her hypothetical stand but I digress)

beyond that... stay tuned.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

StarMinstrel posted:

Joseph is not yet dead, but is trying to get his affairs in order before he actually dies. Jotaro is here to settle this portion of the old man's affairs, and maybe solve a murder mystery while he's in town.

Anonymous Robot posted:

This will be addressed in more detail here in part 4, but the non-spoiler short answer is no, DIO did not cause all stands ever, he only caused the Joestar family to develop Stands by doing... something. The fact that the entire Joestar family still has Stands is sort of a plot hole since Holly didn't keep hers (and Josuke did???), but the existence of Stands as a general thing in the universe is unrelated to DIO.

EDIT: Although Enourmo's answer, above mine, is a pretty solid explanation for why most of the Joestar line kept their Stands.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

No, I think it was explained in a weird way so I can get why you think that but Stands came into being through the Joestar line after Dio's return. I'm trying to dodge something here so this will make no sense but once you get the Stand, you're basically holding onto it after that point. I really hope this doesn't actually count as a spoiler for anyone (if it does, obviously I'm sorry) but you'll be getting more information about how Stands work in this part.

e: ah I was beaten, oh well. :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Did Holly actually lose her stand for good? Or did it just go dormant with Holly never actually learning how to use it?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Did Holly actually lose her stand for good? Or did it just go dormant with Holly never actually learning how to use it?
Dormant, basically? She had a very weak one to begin with. This is another deal where I think stuff that explains more about how Stands work will help inform discussion about Holly's Stand.

e: again, if that's spoilery, I can edit it later or you can just edit it, Bad Seafood. I'm never sure if saying 'this will be explained' or 'nope, never talked about again' is a spoiler. In that vein, Holly's Stand is never mentioned again, I'm just saying that knowing more about 'em helps you figure out how things must have gone for her.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Enourmo posted:

holly's went away because she didn't have the personality for a stand user (I still think Hollywood Rose is the only acceptable name for her hypothetical stand but I digress)

Budding Holly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He wasn't at the funeral in the anime (not sure about the manga). When Joseph shows up, he even mentioned that Stroheim designed his hand, so Stroheim knew he was alive and probably met up with him in Italy.

Well, I meant in terms of the story of Battle Tendency. Him becoming mayor is a great achievement, to be sure.

A filler scene in Joseph's apartment in the Part 3 anime had a magazine cover saying he's apparently the mayor of New York, unless that's supposed to be the New York Mayor and Smokey Brown funding it together.
[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/jjba/images/4/4b/Charity_Concert_cover.png/revision/latest?cb=20140906145425[/timg]
But him being mayor of New York City doesn't really make any sense, and it's probably just the background artists not wasting time wikipedia'ing the names of cities in some US state they've never heard of.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 5, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holly's Stand is just one of those things Araki looked at and went "Yeah, whatever."

This happens in Jojo quite a bit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Holly's Stand is just one of those things Araki looked at and went "Yeah, whatever."

This happens in Jojo quite a bit.

Like a more fabulous version of "Toriyama forgot" when discussing Dragon Ball plot holes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Toriyama forgets, Araki has better ideas and just ignores what contradicts them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Toriyama forgets, Araki has better ideas and just ignores what contradicts them.

the Araki Maneuver, aka gently caress It, They Can Fly Now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki Forgets, His Readers Benefit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gnome7 posted:

This will be addressed in more detail here in part 4, but the non-spoiler short answer is no, DIO did not cause all stands ever, he only caused the Joestar family to develop Stands by doing... something. The fact that the entire Joestar family still has Stands is sort of a plot hole since Holly didn't keep hers (and Josuke did???), but the existence of Stands as a general thing in the universe is unrelated to DIO.

EDIT: Although Enourmo's answer, above mine, is a pretty solid explanation for why most of the Joestar line kept their Stands.

a non-spoilery way to go about it is to point out that stands, as a whole, are kind of a nebulous concept that can be summed up as 'actual manifestation of someone's willpower/fighting spirit/whatever' and things like bloodlines and fate are fairly important and hold 'weight' in the series. since dio had jonathan's body and was connected to the joestars, they all gained a stand when he did as well. the joestars happened to be quite fit for having stands (except holly apparently who somehow fares worse than a literal baby because Araki Needed A Plot Device) which is why they readily gained their own.

as was said, stands aren't something dio invented, he just happened to be the pivotal 'thing' that simultaneously gave the entire joestar family them as well because if nothing else it's made pretty clear that familial ties and fate are pretty important in the series, which is kind of why the idea of dio's feud with the family is a major plot point. that and it's repeatedly pointed out that people with stands tend to run into each other.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Don't compare Holly to Mannish Boy. She's a kind, honest, hot mom and MB is an evil genius baby who was punished horribly by a man who would later become very dead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RubberLuffy posted:

Don't compare Holly to Mannish Boy. She's a kind, honest, hot mom and MB is an evil genius baby who was punished horribly by a man who would later become very dead.

i was comparing her to josuke, who went through the exact same ordeal and got a stand out of it

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was comparing her to josuke, who went through the exact same ordeal and got a stand out of it

Uh, josuke was no doubt an awesome strongbaby

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

RubberLuffy posted:

a man who would later become very dead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my point was that it was kind of weird that holly was put on the same level as a child and yet she still didn't get a stand afterwards for all we know. it's one of those things in the series that's odd and is just accepted as araki doing something because it was convenient.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Her stand power was not killing jotaro in his sleep

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
If you really think about it, holly is the reason noriaki "milflover" kakyoin is dead. She's a perfect wonderful mom

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

my point was that it was kind of weird that holly was put on the same level as a child and yet she still didn't get a stand afterwards for all we know. it's one of those things in the series that's odd and is just accepted as araki doing something because it was convenient.

Hey, she could totally have gotten a stand out of the deal. She just never showed up again after part 3 so we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey, she could totally have gotten a stand out of the deal. She just never showed up again after part 3 so we don't know.

holly should have shown up in morioh to meet josuke, not jotaro. SHE WAS ROBBED.

• Locked thread