Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Motto posted:

At least you'll be playing the same waiting game as Japanese fans after CSII is out.

With the exception of not having Crossbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cold steel 2 does not end on a cliffhanger, it just also doesn't fully resolve everything

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like how in the Trails games whenever the characters are doing a thing and I have a question or concern about something a character would usually pipe up with the exact question or concern I had. Even if it's something mundane like hey can they really leave that septium vein reader thing sitting in the middle of a cave? Won't monsters get to it?

This series is made entirely of little things that other games ignore.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Quartz lines don't do anything in cold steel do they

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there are limits on having the same type of quartz in a single line, and the longer a line the more expensive far out slots are to open, but the more EP you get for opening them

they're somewhat of a legacy mechanic, but they do matter a bit. physical people can take advantage of splintered lines to have more status effects and debuffs attached to their attacks, while magical people get more EP from less, longer lines

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was about to head into this thread with some type of shitpost that amounts to "When the gently caress is cold steel coming out EU" but then I decided I should at least check if some sort of release date has been announced and, well. Whoops. I forgot that nobody on the sites I follow plays small JRPGs and also that I don't actually follow anybody European who could have maybe cared about this release.

Well, I guess I just got a new RPG to add to the top of the queue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I was about to head into this thread with some type of shitpost that amounts to "When the gently caress is cold steel coming out EU" but then I decided I should at least check if some sort of release date has been announced and, well. Whoops. I forgot that nobody on the sites I follow plays small JRPGs and also that I don't actually follow anybody European who could have maybe cared about this release.

Well, I guess I just got a new RPG to add to the top of the queue.

Didn't it come out on January 30th or something?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It did, over two months ago. I'd pushed the whole game to the back of my mind when it was clear it wouldn't be coming out any time close to the US release and I was avoiding this thread for spoiler purposes, so the release just completely passed me by. I sort of assumed it would come out sometime wayyy later, SMT4 style.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat Ys 7 today. The party gimmick was pretty fun, though I think as a result a number of the bosses had way too much HP. I think I prefer having no way to heal but relatively shorter boss fights than Ys 7's more extended fights. I still liked it a lot.

That just leaves Celceta and I've played all the modern Ys games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would really appreciate it if Cold Steel didn't frontload itself with cliches one through fifteen of the big anime cliche book before even one hour of game time has passed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I would really appreciate it if Cold Steel didn't frontload itself with cliches one through fifteen of the big anime cliche book before even one hour of game time has passed.

It gets better later on but yeah the early part is basically how many cliches they can ram into your face per second, especially the stupid boob-fall.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
http://i.imgur.com/fFDa8M4.webm

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This is so. good.

Wait, does that happen again in CS2 or did they just make that one moment Rean's entire personality?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"We're doing our very best!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

it does all those things and then has the character react to them like pretty normal people. like alisa goes 'yeah sorry it was just kind of awkward and i overreacted, i shouldn't have been so mad at you' ten minutes later

it's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime cliches are good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trails has cliches all over, Cold Steel is just the one that dumps nine main cast members on you within the first scenes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I didn't expect cold steel to be structured so much like tits, with the sidequest lists and everything. Are the crossbell games like this too? Not that I mind, just curious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I didn't expect cold steel to be structured so much like tits, with the sidequest lists and everything. Are the crossbell games like this too? Not that I mind, just curious.

yeah iirc, the framing device there is that the party are members of a new police squad that deliberately takes after the Bracers

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

it does all those things and then has the character react to them like pretty normal people. like alisa goes 'yeah sorry it was just kind of awkward and i overreacted, i shouldn't have been so mad at you' ten minutes later

it's good.
Wait, what? I remember her being really awkward about it for the entire prologue and into early chapter 1, to the point that other characters comment that she's being super weird about what was clearly an accident.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wait, what? I remember her being really awkward about it for the entire prologue and into early chapter 1, to the point that other characters comment that she's being super weird about what was clearly an accident.

not 10 minutes literally, on the dot, but she does apologize fairly quickly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's good.

This isn't true. She's weird and snotty about it for a good long chunk of the early game. If she apologized for it ten minutes later it would have been way less annoying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't true. She's weird and snotty about it for a good long chunk of the early game. If she apologized for it ten minutes later it would have been way less annoying.
10 minutes later relatively, for a game that lasts like 80 hours. besides she's already trying to make it up to rean immediately, it just takes her a bit to come out and apologize, and she still does it before the first field trip.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

anime cliches are good

Nah. But they aren't at their worst here at all, it's just bad in comparison to TitS which begins with a whole set of different, much lesser used tropes. This game's just doing romantic comedy anime show 101 here and it's just kinda boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trails in the sky has the exact same plot arc as my little sister can't be this cute, just in reverse

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

both classics

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

She apologizes to Rean before the first field study, which is really before any substantial amount of interaction.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the point where the two diverge is which one of them has olivier in it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm going to post cute fanart

get ready

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

i'm going to post cute fanart

get ready

I am ready.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh and in actual news, VA recording for CSII finished today.

so as not to break the theme i have going

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh please tell me I get to actually pick a club in this game, persona style. There's a riding club! Horses!

E: loving booo

Boooooo!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you're in the tiny senpai club

it's the best club

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all aboard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

you're in the tiny senpai club

it's the best club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also you get chances to interact with the other clubs through sidequests and stuff