Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kaysette posted:

We had a blast, we're now OP as gently caress while still fully within the Adventurers' League rules

Wait wait wait. Hold on. So your character is now all good and registered to use as an Adventurer League character anywhere else despite basically be far more powerful than anything else should allow? This thing is like pathfinder society right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kingcom posted:

Wait wait wait. Hold on. So your character is now all good and registered to use as an Adventurer League character anywhere else despite basically be far more powerful than anything else should allow? This thing is like pathfinder society right?

I've never played PF but it looks roughly the same from my quick Googling. I'd probably get some weird looks about my stats if I played at another store or a convention but I've got the log sheets if anyone did want to be a dick about it. The extra gold we got won't mean too much and it's not like I took that many magic items as a wizard. Pretty sure this guy is going on hiatus anyway so we can start Curse of Strahd.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I thought you weren't allowed to have a stat higher than 20?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

20 is the normal maximum for a vanilla adventurer, but there are class features/items/lycanthropy/magic/etc. that let you go over.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's even a Book of Stats that lets you increase ability scores, even well beyond the normal cap of 20, except they wrote in a clause that says you can't benefit from one oftener than once per year.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This result explicitly stated "up to a maximum of 24" to bypass the normal rules.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kaysette posted:

This result explicitly stated "up to a maximum of 24" to bypass the normal rules.

:drat:

That's good at least. You're one lucky SoB.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'd like to say I can't believe that stuff was written into an official Adventurer's League-legal module, but at this point I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So basically someone looked at the Deck of Many Things, said to themselves "nah we can make this bigger" and now an entire campaign is hosed sideways? Sounds about right.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm pretty sure Joe Average D&D Player thinks the Deck of Many Things is the greatest invention ever put from pen to paper, so yeah, not that surprising.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scyther posted:

I'm pretty sure Joe Average D&D Player thinks the Deck of Many Things is the greatest invention ever put from pen to paper, so yeah, not that surprising.

And then they go to the internet saying "uh oh, Deck of Many Things might have derailed my campaign, WAT DO"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Generic Octopus posted:

20 is the normal maximum for a vanilla adventurer, but there are class features/items/lycanthropy/magic/etc. that let you go over.
Flatter* math.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Splicer posted:

Flatter* math.

It feels right though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scyther posted:

This must make me Joe Average because the Deck is one of my favourite things and I always, always want to put them in games I run.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
That going back in time and having a chance to make new decisions in the past sounds awesome, maybe not for the adventurers league though.

But if you go back and get a chance to remake the campaign and kick rear end, it only makes sense that the villain gets to as well.

Maybe the empire installs a grate on the exhaust chute of the death star, or whatever.

It should be awesome at first, you are cracking the skulls of enemies that kicked your rear end the first time.

But then your decisions change the timeline.

And then you realize the big bad also knows about you, and he knows how to stop a scrappy group of heroes from ruining his plans.

captain innocuous fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2016

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
I'm starting to work on OotA as a dm but something stupid is bothering me. It mentions twice that ilvara has/carries a Scourge. What the gently caress is that? The picture looks like a spider but I searched all the books for monsters and items and can't find poo poo.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lukavi posted:

I'm starting to work on OotA as a dm but something stupid is bothering me. It mentions twice that ilvara has/carries a Scourge. What the gently caress is that? The picture looks like a spider but I searched all the books for monsters and items and can't find poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lukavi posted:

She counts as a Drow Priestess of Lolth and the stats are on p. 129 of the MM.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lukavi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge_of_the_Underworld

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
The Adventurer's League is basically just book-resources, right? No Unearthed Arcana madness?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
People were talking about Grappler Bards, which is what I am currently! Been playing it in this campaign from levels 5-9 (just hit nine)

Advantages: does in fact wrestle very good. Even with 16 star I have +11 athletics and can use enhance ability to get advantage on it, plus lucky. poo poo gets grappled and shoved (valor for extra attack).

Disadvantages: everything decent is concentration. Everything. And since I want to keep concentration on Enhance, lots of spells I just... don't cast.

Making that worse, with only 16 CHA my spell DC is pretty bad, so even non-concentration spells aren't that useful. The damage is also pitiful (until I hit 10 and get to take a better spell).

NB I got one session using Polymorph before the DM was like "lol that's broken" and nerfed it, which is totally reasonable

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lukavi posted:

Basically a handle with multiple (usually barbed) whips from it. Davinci code monk self whipping guy thing. Made for pain not battle effectiveness. Pulls off skin.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I gave my players the adventuring licensing exam tonight. They loved it. Thanks everyone who helped with questions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I feel I've forgotten something: Is there a way to increase the maximum dex bonus on medium armor? I swear there is/was but I may be confusing 3.5 mithril armor.

edit: Ah, it's a feat, not a class or item thing.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 3, 2016

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So we were discussing characters for an upcoming campaign I'm going to run, and one of the players wants to do a Rogue/Warlock for whatever reason, and is interested in doing a custom feat to allow sneak attacking with Eldritch Blast once per turn.

My initial reaction is that I'm worried about it being too much, but I'm really not sure. Figured I'd pass it by the thread and see what everyone thought.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

siggy2021 posted:

So we were discussing characters for an upcoming campaign I'm going to run, and one of the players wants to do a Rogue/Warlock for whatever reason, and is interested in doing a custom feat to allow sneak attacking with Eldritch Blast once per turn.

My initial reaction is that I'm worried about it being too much, but I'm really not sure. Figured I'd pass it by the thread and see what everyone thought.

Not a balance expert by any means, but considering how Sneak Attack reaches 2d6 at level 3, I don't think that'd be too bad. 2d6 is better than 1d10, and even with the Warlock bonus damage to Eldritch Blast, it wouldn't be a huge thing. If it ends up being overwhelmingly great, you can always nerf it back to refreshing at short rest.

In other news, I've been playing a human (variant) druid for 2-3 sessions now and I'm enjoying it. As my feat, I took Spell Sniper, for Eldritch Blast access and that sweet sweet range. Is it a hugely terrible pick, like some of 3.5's feats? DM would probably let me change if it made sense, and there isn't a huge backstory behind Spell Sniper anyway.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

siggy2021 posted:

It's totally fine, almost certainly not even worth charging a feat for (or if you do it should at least give +1 stat). The classes don't have a ton of natural synergy and letting the player add a few extra d6 of damage dice conditionally (and at most once per turn) isn't going to break the game. Compare the expected damage output of that houseruled Rogue/Warlock vs. a RAW Sorcerer with a 2-3 level Warlock dip* and you'll see it's not worth worrying about at all.

*i.e. that Rogue8/Warlock3 is doing a fearsome ~56 damage (multiplied by hit percentage) damage on a round in which it gets to sneak attack with Eldrich blast. A Sorcerer8/Warlock3 is doing ~84 (multiplied by hit percentage) on command with Eldrich Blast/Quickened spell and it goes up from there if they actually want to burn spell slots.

e: whoops forgot damage from Hex, adjusted math above (which puts it even more in favor of the Sorcerer/Warlock). The Rogue will have a bit of an advantage in that its bonus actions are not spoken for and it doesn't have ramp up time, but honestly that doesn't rate compared to full spellcasting.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 4, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone playing a witch hunter-type class in 5th? If so, which class/class combination did you use? I'm looking at the blood hunter class online and it seems fun, but I'm wondering if there are better options out there.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone playing a witch hunter-type class in 5th? If so, which class/class combination did you use? I'm looking at the blood hunter class online and it seems fun, but I'm wondering if there are better options out there.

If you're into The Witcher at all, this is pretty hard to beat without using homebrew.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Or you could play the Witch Hunter class that was homebrewed for Vin Diesel for Geek and Sundry. Fair warning: I'm not sure about the final result, but the early preview was pretty garbage.

http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Or you could use the actual Monster Hunter that they just released along with some other rules
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dick Burglar posted:

Or you could play the Witch Hunter class that was homebrewed for Vin Diesel for Geek and Sundry. Fair warning: I'm not sure about the final result, but the early preview was pretty garbage.

http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf

I remember the version of this that my friends showed me had a mechanic that let them treat short rests as long rests something like a three times a day, making something like the sorcerer even more broken.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I was more interested in a Bloodborne-type character. The monster hunter subclass seems kind of lackluster, especially in comparison to the other Fighter subclasses. The blood hunter seems pretty neat, and unfortunately we already have a warlock otherwise I'd probably go that route.

I'm also interested in what fun character concepts y'all have come up with. I have a few days to decide on what I ultimately want to play, and I'm looking for suggestions.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Warlock or Wizard?

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Lotish posted:

I remember the version of this that my friends showed me had a mechanic that let them treat short rests as long rests something like a three times a day, making something like the sorcerer even more broken.

Other than that, most of the Witch Hunter there looks kinda bad. I'm no expert, though.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm not sure if that's up to date. I think he left the witch hunter class in favor of releasing the blood hunter that has seen a number of updates and is the top result on the dms guild. Check that one out I have a player that uses it and it seems a fun reasonably balanced class

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spiteski posted:

I'm not sure if that's up to date. I think he left the witch hunter class in favor of releasing the blood hunter that has seen a number of updates and is the top result on the dms guild. Check that one out I have a player that uses it and it seems a fun reasonably balanced class

That's what I've been working with for the most part. It seems pretty neat, and it seems reasonably blood borne-ish considering the blood stuff.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm going to DM a one-shot adventure for our party, who is at level 3. I want it to be a spooky, atmospheric dungeon crawl. Anyone have any tips for running something scary in this? What are some good and horrifying encounter ideas? I think the basic notion is going to be they're lost in the woods, come across a hut, and in the basement is a trapdoor to an absurdly huge dungeon.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sharzak posted:

I'm going to DM a one-shot adventure for our party, who is at level 3. I want it to be a spooky, atmospheric dungeon crawl. Anyone have any tips for running something scary in this? What are some good and horrifying encounter ideas? I think the basic notion is going to be they're lost in the woods, come across a hut, and in the basement is a trapdoor to an absurdly huge dungeon.

Gaslight the poo poo out of them. Constantly change small details, such as the number of windows, number of people in a painting, etc. as you keep describing the place. When they question you, play it off as if it was always that way.

Ambushes are always spooky, especially if the monster stays just long enough to wound a player and then flees. Keeps them on edge because they know it will come back, but when? For bonus points, make sure it's very hard to tell what the hell is attacking them. Perhaps its too dark for it to be seen, or some sort of magic or its speed is making it blur too much for anyone to make out any features.

Also, just roll dice out of the blue for no real reason. Don't ham it up, just roll some dice occasionally and if the players ask, say it's a secret and leave it. They'll think you're plotting some horrible poo poo and this will make them very skittish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Also, just roll dice out of the blue for no real reason. Don't ham it up, just roll some dice occasionally and if the players ask, say it's a secret and leave it. They'll think you're plotting some horrible poo poo and this will make them very skittish.

And use what they speculate about as inspiration for later events.