Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

You forgot to tote an lightsaber iconic hat

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You forgot to tote a lightsaber

Now, we are finally cowboys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FISXJNCcLM0

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Bureau health smacks are because you aren't flanking the enemy. Enemies in cover get absurd damage reduction.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Seeing as another Platinum game is coming out soon, will I see you in the PC Mutants in Manhattan or in the PS4? It is a co-op game and I'm looking for any potential toitles I can find.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Today I sighted an orphaned Watch Dogs PS3 disc without its case in a bargain bin. I'm not sure how it lost the case, but I was too afraid to pick it up and give it a home. Morally, have I made the right decision?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cheez posted:

Today I sighted an orphaned Watch Dogs PS3 disc without its case in a bargain bin. I'm not sure how it lost the case, but I was too afraid to pick it up and give it a home. Morally, have I made the right decision?

You shouldn't feel bad about seeing a Watch Dogs disc in the garbage. It's in its true home, where it belongs.

Sometimes, dead is better.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Cheez posted:

Well I mean

The Bad Blood DLC is pretty cool.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Let's talk about dumb NX rumors, science, tech questions, and an old topic from the No More Heroes 2 LP!

Chipod Ironicast #14: Nintendo NX (March 2016).....Download

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Without threatening any NDAs, would you say that was one of those gaming sob stories of a game with lots of interesting ideas that turned out to be too messy/hard/disagreeable-with-the-marketing-team to make it into the final release?

McKiligan did an LP of the game with a developer if you're interested. It never got archived, oddly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo5ZVwMpQoLNQdFtI6VW9ecyMseAAXgI3

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pedantic nitpick: Nintendo mentioned the NX at the same time as they mentioned some mobile games in order to contradict "N is abandoning consoles and going mobile-only" rumors, said they were announcing it earlier than one typically would in console hardware cycles, so naturally rumour-mongers interpreted it as "N is already abandoning the WiiU and bringing out their next system" because reading comprehension is hard.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Guys did you know Chip is on a stream right now and Tim Schafer is there??

Edit: Tim's gone now, you missed it!

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 24, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

What?! Dammit! :negative:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

IronSaber posted:

What?! Dammit! :negative:

It'll show up on Volition's YouTube channel like all of Chip's other streams for/with them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
According to the Intarwebs, there's confirmation of View_Mongrels 2.

What I am wondering is whether or not C+I can be masochistic enough to LP it. I need a source for my sweet ramping.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's talk about dumb NX rumors, science, tech questions, and an old topic from the No More Heroes 2 LP!

The Structure Of Scientific Revolutions is well worth a read, but I don't really blame science education for not introducing the wrong ideas first and then talking about the right ones. At least for early work, which is more about memorization than understanding, introducing a bunch of wrong ideas really isn't going to help if your students aren't equipped to understand why they're wrong.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
A lot of science curricula do include the incorrect theories to an extent, at least at a high school level anyway. I don't even remember what kind of vinegar volcano poo poo we did before that. I think most people have at least a basic exposure to thinks like the luminferous aether or sun-revolving around the earth business and it's good to do this sometimes because knowing why something is wrong is just as important as knowing if something is right.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

There was a recent working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research (which is probably the most influential economic research organization in the world, roughly?) about that Planck quote; basically these guys studied how the dynamics of life sciences research changed after the death of "superstars." They found that there often were a lot of novel discoveries by "outsiders" who had previously not published in that field after the death of elite scientists.

Not exactly in the spirit of paradigm shifts but it was sort of interesting.

There's a quick, ungated summary here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/does-science-advance-one-funeral-at-a-time-researchers-ask/

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Drunk Metal Gear History is finished! For now! Let's move on to The Fight, and then, Zone of the Enders! Big thanks to VoidBurger for helping editing the initial footage down to something usuable!

Drunk Metal Gear History #5.....Baldurdash.....Libsyn/RSS feed

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
VoidBurger, question: how difficult was it to keep a straight face while editing the footage?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't handle Ironicus in this video. He is too powerful.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I love how it took you more than 30 minutes to sum up MGS4 but only a tenth of that for Rising.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoig posted:

I love how it took you more than 30 minutes to sum up MGS4 but only a tenth of that for Rising.

Raiden is a really cool cyborg guy who gets his rear end kicked. He then goes to kick rear end for some revengeance and saves some children in the process.

It's refreshing straight forward.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The entire plot for MGR is right there in the title :confused:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

The entire plot for MGR is right there in the title :confused:

Yeah, Raiden rises up from being a milk powered cyborg to a gatorade powered cyborg.

Then he fights a senator.

Rising.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No no see EXCELSUS is stored underground, so when it pops up for the fight it's a Metal Gear, Rising. Then Raiden gets Revengeance.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

IronSaber posted:

VoidBurger, question: how difficult was it to keep a straight face while editing the footage?

I was laughing a lot

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...oh my god.

Wait, so I never played MGS4 ever cuz I didn't have a PS3 but...I never knew the game itself ended on Shadow Moses itself?! AND WE HAD A METAL GEAR FIGHT?!?!

So wait, wait, guys remember the Shadow Moses stage in Super Smash Bros Brawl?

Not only did Hideo Kojima sneak in a song from MGS4 in a Nintendo game, half a year before MGS4 came out, but HE PUT IN THE FINAL BOSS STAGE OF THE GAME AS WELL!

God...loving dammit I love this series for its bullshit. :allears: thank you so much for the huge covering of all this, that really answered a lot of questions for me Chip!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

...oh my god.

Wait, so I never played MGS4 ever cuz I didn't have a PS3 but...I never knew the game itself ended on Shadow Moses itself?! AND WE HAD A METAL GEAR FIGHT?!?!

It doesn't end there. It's the second to last stage.

Chip has a pretty good LP of it if you want to experience the game now.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

FinalGamer posted:

Wait, so I never played MGS4 ever cuz I didn't have a PS3 but...I never knew the game itself ended on Shadow Moses itself?!

Uh, no, I think you misunderstood; Shadow Moses is the second-to-last stage, Arsenal Gear is the last stage

e:f,b

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It is all basically downhill from the Metal Gear Fight, though.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Cleretic posted:

It is all basically downhill from the Metal Gear Fight, though.

I'm of the opinion two old mean beating the ever-loving poo poo out of each other in the form of an homage to a 10 year old series (at that point, only counting solid) is certainly more outstanding than the metal gear fight.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Demonbait posted:

I'm of the opinion two old mean beating the ever-loving poo poo out of each other in the form of an homage to a 10 year old series (at that point, only counting solid) is certainly more outstanding than the metal gear fight.

Fighting Ocelot on top of Not-Arsenal Gear is pretty much one of, if not the, best points in the series. Fighting Ray from Rex is also cool as hell but not nearly as emotional.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Brainamp posted:

Fighting Ocelot on top of Not-Arsenal Gear is pretty much one of, if not the, best points in the series. Fighting Ray from Rex is also cool as hell but not nearly as emotional.

If only it wasn't surrounded by fifteen hours of awful game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

If only it wasn't surrounded by fifteen hours of awful game.

You must mean five hours of mediocre game and ten hours of awful cutscenes.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I still cant remember what difference Snake actually made to the overall story by this point

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DeafNote posted:

I still cant remember what difference Snake actually made to the overall story by this point

Acted as the delivery vehicle for computer code, saved Raiden, punched the crazy out of Ocelot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DeafNote posted:

Without his help in getting past Ocelot's multiple layers of protections, Ocelot's octuple-cross plan of uploading Ocelot's virus into the systems hijacked and controlled by Ocelot wouldn't have worked. Ocelot.

Also, Ocelot would never have gotten his final wish of smooching a Big Boss substitute, so he had an important role to play in the emotional story as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Carrier boy, mostly, IIRC. Most of the big decisions are made by people around him and he just carries them out because he's good at sneaking/shooting/punching. Which, to be fair, is what it means to be a soldierrrrrrr

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man the Patriots really hosed up their programming on when the clones would degrade. I mean, I know the timeline is kinda shaky and hard to track (and IIRC MGS5 kinda retcons it a little) but Solid starts rapid-aging in like, his 30s, but Big Boss kept on truckin' being the ~best soldier ever~ into his 50s if Peace Walker onwards are canon

(yes I know the actual reason is because Kojima really doesn't plan his story out ahead of time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

DeafNote posted:

Killing people, then getting screwed over by Ocelot or BIg Boss.

• Locked thread