Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?
I think it was Corn who said that if you want to listen to Jennifer Hale as not Commander Shepard constantly exclaiming "God is dead" while fighting the last boss (God) then lightning returns is for you.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want a meaningful game experience that will last me awhile and give me lots of cool things to do, and I want it to look great while it does it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't play Eternal Sonata then

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Guess it's the Return of the Lightning for me then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want a meaningful game experience that will last me awhile and give me lots of cool things to do, and I want it to look great while it does it.

Then you should not be purchasing a Final Fantasy game made in the last decade.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Then you should not be purchasing a Final Fantasy game made in the last decade.

Don't i know it. :negative:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

eternal sonata is about that nerd composer that loving died right?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ostentatious posted:

They turned Frederic Chopin into a bad anime character, yes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Big N has finally stopped copying apple Branding

Ostentatious posted:

It's the one where we find out that, as he lay dying, Chopin dreamed of being a magical anime boy who met a lot of magical anime girls and they fought giant mushroom monsters together, right?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 5, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's the one where we find out that, as he lay dying, Chopin dreamed of being a magical anime boy who met a lot of magical anime girls and they fought giant mushroom monsters together, right?

You do make it sound slightly more glorious than it is.

I remember one character dies and has the longest death speech ever, speaking to absolutely nobody, for ages and ages and ages. This is the only thing I remember from renting the game years ago.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?

of those two, lightning returns 100%. i know it's not everyone's favorite game but eternal sonata is nobody's favorite game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's my ....eh no it's not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like Chopin

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The one non-story criticism I've read about LR that sounded legit was that there weren't enough high-end outfits so the while the midgame has a lot going on, the endgame funnels you towards a certain gameplay style.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

When you think about it Final Fantasy X was just one giant death speech.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jesus Christ a new RBI Baseball game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Man a lot of people seem to be hoping Kratos isn't the star of God of War 4.

I mean granted he's like...kinda done story wise. He had his trilogy of games, a few portable entries and a prequel.

I guess people got tired of that marketing tactic last gen when the "Last" installments of games were coming out and all the advertising for the games were based on said finality. Like it was the FINAL chapter in the Master Chief story. Except it was only a maybe not a definitely.'

Honestly I think Solid Snake was the only one who went through that stuff last gen who actually stayed dead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Solid Snake is dead? Who the gently caress is the guy in the latest one then?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

raditts posted:

The guy from 24

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

raditts posted:

from FOX two phantoms were born

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jesus Christ a new RBI Baseball game.

That's actually the third one, MLB bought the rights and it's been a yearly franchise since 2014.

They've been aggressively okay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I mean granted he's like...kinda done story wise. He had his trilogy of games, a few portable entries and a prequel.

I guess people got tired of that marketing tactic last gen when the "Last" installments of games were coming out and all the advertising for the games were based on said finality. Like it was the FINAL chapter in the Master Chief story. Except it was only a maybe not a definitely.'

Honestly I think Solid Snake was the only one who went through that stuff last gen who actually stayed dead.
Snake didn't die.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think that's because nobody ever liked Kratos.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasium posted:

That's actually the third one, MLB bought the rights and it's been a yearly franchise since 2014.

They've been aggressively okay.
That's bizarre to me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope they bring Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball back.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

The one non-story criticism I've read about LR that sounded legit was that there weren't enough high-end outfits so the while the midgame has a lot going on, the endgame funnels you towards a certain gameplay style.

that's kind of true, because you get some special garbs when you get to the end and you'll probably just use those unless you're doing a cool gimmick loadout (i used velvet bouncer for literally the entire game, because it's awesome). and for the final boss especially pretty much everyone will have the same three super garbs and they'll just hit him with the ultima weapon a bunch since it's not very hard to get either.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm mostly just interested if it's still a David Jaffe joint or if they're going to outsource it to a completely different studio as seems to be in vogue right now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

I'm mostly just interested if it's still a David Jaffe joint or if they're going to outsource it to a completely different studio as seems to be in vogue right now.

Jaffe stopped doing God of War after the first game.

EDIT: Lightning Returns has a very trippy loading screen I like it

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's a good game that goes well with listening to podcasts

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280220/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gone Home

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Duck Tales. Remastered.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Diablo 3

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope they bring Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball back.

Ken Griffey Jr. retired in 2010 because he was an old man and couldn't stay awake.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd be surprised if Kratos didn't star in GoW4. They managed to find a character that manages to be a giant, raging rear end in a top hat and not be totally unlikable at the same time. Hard to catch lightning in a bottle like that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

New Concept Hole posted:

Ken Griffey Jr. retired in 2010 because he was an old man and couldn't stay awake.

I thought it was because he wasn't doping

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just got my rear end beat by a giant demon giraffe. Lightning Returns tells me I can parry stuff with perfect timing, but I'm poo poo at these tells. I like this gloomy rear end city though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PantsBandit posted:

I'd be surprised if Kratos didn't star in GoW4. They managed to find a character that manages to be a giant, raging rear end in a top hat and not be totally unlikable at the same time. Hard to catch lightning in a bottle like that.

Even if it is him, what would he be raging and killing about?

He killed every drat god that pissed him off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just got my rear end beat by a giant demon giraffe. Lightning Returns tells me I can parry stuff with perfect timing, but I'm poo poo at these tells. I like this gloomy rear end city though.

if you can't master parrying (i was poo poo at it) then remember you can also just build a defensive garb and tank through everything.

also, debuffs are really, really good. usually even if a boss is immune to them normally it'll become vulnerable when staggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Even if it is him, what would he be raging and killing about?

He killed every drat god that pissed him off.

The entire series is basically Kratos murdering people he blames for his own mistakes, I'm sure they can come up with someone else for him to project his issues onto.

• Locked thread