Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

dreesemonkey posted:

Can anyone buy this stuff from manufacturers, or do they have to agree to it?

They have to agree to it, you can't make a team sell anything, which is why Red Bull whined so much when Ferrari and Mercedes wouldn't sell them their engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

djssniper posted:

Good management, good forsight, I'm impressed by them totally above what I expected

Well the last attempt was spearheaded by Peter Windsor so expectations were kept realistic.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

They have to agree to it, you can't make a team sell anything, which is why Red Bull whined so much when Ferrari and Mercedes wouldn't sell them their engines.

yeah, and red bull want to change this wrt engines, but i don't think anyone has suggested forcing teams to sell non-listed parts.

but that's a good point, hefe, haas didn't make ferrari sell them parts, they worked hard to develop a good relationship. that's a legitimate skill, and it means you can't simply say "we'd like to do what haas did" and do it, another team has to be willing to work with you. there's a huge opportunity for someone to be mclaren's "haas" next year. they will likely need somewhere to put vandoorne and that would give a smaller team the chance to make a deal.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Nobody wants to be McLarens haas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you forget sauber can literally fall no further

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So what was Force India getting out of its technical partnership with McLaren?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

So what was Force India getting out of its technical partnership with McLaren?

transmissions, mainly, and maybe like wind tunnel time and other non-material support

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Alonso says in his twitter Q&A that we should have a single lap qualifying system, we already had that a few years ago and I don't think it was too popular.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Alonso says in his twitter Q&A that we should have a single lap qualifying system, we already had that a few years ago and I don't think it was too popular.

ouija boards are bs

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Good God Sky loves to polish Shamilton's knob. Martin Brundle said at the end of the race that Hamilton's crash "took the sheen off the race." If the TSN broadcast was any better I'd switch over and watch that.

As for other teams complaining about Haas "buying" their car; the parts that Haas buys from Ferrari amount to basically running gear minus brakes (which are bought from either Brembo or Carbon Dynamics). Haas actually has to design and build the actual car themselves.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dallara does the chassis right? That seems like a big ol' part of the car

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe a quali system of 1 out lap, 3 hots, and an in lap.

I like Indycar's qualifying system as well.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's nothing that hasn't been done before. Both Dallara and Lola have built Chassis for F1 teams in the past, including the post-privateer era. Reynard did as well, I think.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Goetta posted:

The Haas Factory in America designs the car, Dallara turns the designs into actual carbon fibre parts, and the Haas factory in NorthWest GlouchesterBuckinghamshire upon Trent assembles the parts into a car, and then paints it as well I think. They might be painted before they get to the UK, I'm not sure on that.

So I'd say Dallara's part is rather small. Haas is still building their car, they designed the thing and they assemble it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 5, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

dallara is neither a competitor nor an associate of a competitor so they can do whatever

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So are we saying that buying all the bits they can from Ferrari, getting a company that knows how to build Chassis, but in the past has been hindered by customer teams being a bit poor, to do that, and to do any other bits themselves including bringing in the guy who did the awesome suspension on the 2012 Lotus, is good or bad?

I'm thinking it good and clever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's impressive that the car even arrives at the circuit with all the bits it needs, let alone that it seems pretty competitive. Having two bases to work from can't be easy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be firmly in the camp of "pay other people (that aren't Nick Wirth) with experience to design poo poo for me until my team is more established" rather than going it alone for the first 2 years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh and Vettel had a get out clause at red bull that made his contract void if he didn't win a race that season and shame on people for believing Horner, and you are mental if you don't think going to Haas gives you a better shot at a Ferrari seat than staying at renault and if you think Grosjean would give the remotest poo poo about being the Rubens.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

Oh and Vettel had a get out clause at red bull that made his contract void if he didn't win a race that season and shame on people for believing Horner, and you are mental if you don't think going to Haas gives you a better shot at a Ferrari seat than staying at renault and if you think Grosjean would give the remotest poo poo about being the Rubens.

Straight from the Crypt Keeper's mouth: Ferrari want Ricciardo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

please make it so. please get are dan to freedom.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

Vettel's meltdown would be incredible

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's a better shot not a guarantee, when Ferrari replace Kimi they are going to need someone just as popular, the driving thing is secondary. Are Dan fits that bill and If Grosjean keeps this up he will as well, although even if he misses out on a Ferrari drive with being at Haas he has far more of a future to look forward to now than he would have done with having maybe two more years at Renault before being dumped. Gutierrez is the real loser here a cynical person might suggest that as ferrari were trying to break into the Mexican luxury car market last year they put their "reserve driver" in all the promotional stuff and built a lot of false hope up in the lad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MustardFacial posted:

Yesssss. Please this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

If Sauber decides to take on a Honda engine I could see Vandoorne and possibly Matsushita going there (depending on how the latter does in GP2 this year).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

If Sauber decides to take on a Honda engine I could see Vandoorne and possibly Matsushita going there (depending on how the latter does in GP2 this year).

i think matsushita would depend a lot on how much funding they could get from honda/other japanese sponsors. nasr brings a lot of money.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
After Vandoorne's showing last race I don't think any team will mind having him.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

be nice wicka posted:

Agreed.

Found an old Australian car magazine from 1985, covering the first proper Australian GP. They had a huge interview with Keke Rosberg, where he mentions that he wanted Nico not to follow him into motorsports, and actually do something like the Pro Golf tour

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

be nice wicka posted:

i think matsushita would depend a lot on how much funding they could get from honda/other japanese sponsors. nasr brings a lot of money.

Bring back Taki Inoue

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

Honda have also traditionally been pretty supportive of brazilian drivers, I can't see them dumping Nasr if he's bringing cash in.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
If the rumours are true and Sauber can't even afford to be at the next race, then I don't know how they are going to get a Honda engine for next year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

If the rumours are true and Sauber can't even afford to be at the next race, then I don't know how they are going to get a Honda engine for next year.

they wouldn't have to pay for it

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MustardFacial posted:

be nice wicka posted:

Red bull will whore out another driver to ferrari with no interference for more influence in the sport so they can take second place in the "screws lower teams" category of f1. Christian Horner is the Grima Wormtongue of motorsport. (Actually a lot of the f1 paddock has a clear LOTR parallel :goonsay:)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice wild theory but consider this. If Horner can play politics with Bernie and bring in the stock V8 customer engine thing or completely neuter the manufacturer teams by supporting this Ridiculous Todt Bernie pact, then the current engine suppliers will leave and concentrate on their WEC cars. We will lose, Renault, Honda, Ferrari, Mercedes, Haas, Manor , Mclaren and Williams, Haas and Manor are heavily subsidised by works teams, Mclaren and Williams are heavily invested in hybrid tech as businesses. Who is left? Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Sauber and Force India. Welcome to Red Bull Formula 1 racing coming from a middle eastern dusty shithole nowhere near you.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The new engines are the F-35 of F1. Renault insisted on it or it would leave the sport, Mercedes alone spent 600 million dollars developing it so all we can do is get some value out of it and not make an even dumber, more expensive engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ACO has been pretty vocal about the fact that if you aren't a manufacturer then they don't want you playing in LMP1-H, you can sit at the nice kids table that is LMP2 (look they have those wacky paper crown hats :3:) . So straight up Haas, Williams and Manor probably aren't too interested in a WEC switch. Realistically the only way Mercedes is going to leave is if their engine magically becomes total dogshit or they get banned for cheating, they've got too much invested and are in too good a position to leave no matter how nasty Red Bull makes the current situation. Ferrari aren't going to get given a budget for running in WEC so that leaves Mclaren/Honda and Renault. I can't really see the teams wholeheartedly embracing a mass defection as cool as that would be. WEC is a bit neglected right now with VAG pretty much having a monopoly over the top class and they can almost write whatever narrative they want so long as Toyota produces a mediocre car.

edit:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The new engines are the F-35 of F1. Renault insisted on it or it would leave the sport, Mercedes alone spent 600 million dollars developing it so all we can do is get some value out of it and not make an even dumber, more expensive engine.

We're at a point now where people are starting to say these engines have more power than the V10s except with way more torque. Qualifying times are starting to dip below lap records here and there. I don't see what the gently caress is wrong with these engines, they're absolutely awesome.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Old Ferrari would not have left but if the 250 odd billion pounds they have spent on development turns out to have been on engine shaped paperweights, then fiat owned Ferrari will most certainly tell Bernie to gently caress off and start it's own race series/ go WEC. Mercedes bosses have made it clear that they have a budget as well and they already have DTM to wheel and deal in. Renault almost didn't buy lotus and was nearly pulled from the sport by their CEO, hence the delay. WEC may be neglected now but it wouldn't be if f1 works teams started pouring money in and subsidising the sport.

I think where I'm going with this is that people who think engine manufacturers have too much political power are silly.

It won't happen of course unless freaking Horner get his way and I'm putting my faith in Arrivabene having him killed to death before he does.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Bernie's at it again, haha!

quote:

Bernie Ecclestone - F1 drivers 'shouldn't even be allowed to talk'

Bernie Ecclestone says drivers "shouldn't even be allowed to talk" and are only interested in making money from Formula One.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) recently called for an overhaul of F1's "obsolete and ill-structured" governance, which it felt had been shown up by the ongoing uncertainty and lack of decision over qualifying. F1 boss Ecclestone wrote back to the drivers asking for them to put forward some suggestions of how to fix the sport in its current guise.

However, speaking in Bahrain, Ecclestone said drivers are self-interested and only care about the sport because it rewards them so well financially.

"What sort of interest do they have, the drivers, other than taking money out of the sport?" Ecclestone said. "I've never seen one of them put one dollar in, you go to dinner with them and they don't even pay the bill. They shouldn't even be allowed to talk. They should get in the car and drive it."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Haas will be interested in whatever series allows him to sell the most CNC machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

be nice wicka posted:

They're still above Manor aren't they?

MustardFacial posted:

If ricky D goes to the scud and beats Vettel again I'll love him even more than I love the Greatest American Romain Grosjean

• Locked thread