Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For those who care, Hussie says Davekat is canon. https://vine.co/v/iIaLbvbuEJZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Controversial opinion time: I have never given a single poo poo about any of the romantic relationships in Homestuck. Hussie reminds me of Akira Toriyama in that he's really good at writing some things, but kind of lovely at writing other things and compelling romances are one of the things both of them are lovely at.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wish in the past I had done more things because now I know that mistakes are a fake idea.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There are no mistakes. There are only isolated choices to read webcomics.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For those who care, Hussie says Davekat is canon. https://vine.co/v/iIaLbvbuEJZ

I for one am completely convinced of the status of a fictional relationship beyond all shadow of a doubt by a series of scribbles on thermal receipt paper.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Didn't Hussie already say that every ship is canon?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Vriska x Atkins

Edit: skinny!Vriska x maid!Equius

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solis posted:

Didn't Hussie already say that every ship is canon?

Also all the fantrolls.

Even the lovely ones.

Especially the lovely ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hremsfeld posted:

Vriska x Atkins

Please. Vriska is so paleo, with the accompanying smug insistence on telling everybody about it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please. Vriska is so paleo, with the accompanying smug insistence on telling everybody about it.

given her attitude towards tattoos, i can only imagine her as a really mouthy vegan. dontcha know that meat pollutes your body, maaaaaaaan

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fortunately, because she is a troll, we will never have to hear the monologue about Deva Cups.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rand Brittain posted:

I wish in the past I had done more things because now I know that mistakes are a fake idea.

Hussie hands us a piece of driftwood with the words "Toby Fox" written on it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Act 6 was a mistake.

The game was a mistake. Most people I know who were extremely into Homestuck have stopped giving a poo poo at this point or moved on. I'm sure people will come back to see how it ends but Hussie hosed up pretty bad with how long the pauses were and it killed most interest people had in the comic.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I think it's fairer to say doing a kickstarter midway through wasn't exactly the best idea. Perhaps if he announced it after everything was done and being trickled out like now, he'd be able to focus on it 100%. Oh well, best to learn from mistakes I guess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Announcing a Kickstarter that includes a bunch of things other than the thing you have already trained yourself to be in the business of doing generally seems to turn out to have been a mistake.

Urodov
Feb 14, 2016

I still like homestuck, but really the only thing i ask from andrew is that he never stop doing sbahj

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The money getting stolen certainly didn't help.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i'm the kickstarter rewards that got released as actual, cheaper products later

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Nope.

I'm getting paid $4 to own the game and the soundtrack.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again the bloom fell off the rose long, long before the kickstarter came to be

And again the fact that the kickstarter turned into a fiasco was unforseeable, there's no justified way that hussie could have known what would happen bar seeing the future.

Act 6 being so aggressively poo poo for so long, especially the absolutely concentrated, grade-a weaponized bullshit that was the jane and jake and dirk romance show as roxy drunkenly pines in the corner combined with the Aranea boring rear end pointless bad story hour combined with calliopes marginally more interesting but still pretty much boring rear end pointless bad story hour is what killed interest. There was a significant section of the comic where literally every single ongoing plotline at the time was intolerable

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toxxupation posted:

Act 6 being so aggressively poo poo for so long, especially the absolutely concentrated, grade-a weaponized bullshit that was the jane and jake and dirk romance show as roxy drunkenly pines in the corner combined with the Aranea boring rear end pointless bad story hour combined with calliopes marginally more interesting but still pretty much boring rear end pointless bad story hour is what killed interest. There was a significant section of the comic where literally every single ongoing plotline at the time was intolerable

Counter argument: Act six contains Caliborn and his plotline was always fantastic.

Edit: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/smuut12.gif this is the only time I have ever cared about romance in Homestuck

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

Nope.

I'm getting paid $4 to own the game and the soundtrack.

the back tier for Lemonsnout was $205 USD

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ima play devil's advocate and take and defend the most outrageous position:

Homestuck is a webcomic hosted primarily on mspaintadventures.com

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Who What Now posted:

Ima play devil's advocate and take and defend the most outrageous position:

Homestuck is a webcomic hosted primarily on mspaintadventures.com

jesus can we ban this loving topic already, every few weeks it comes up and its intolerable

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Counter argument: Act six contains Caliborn and his plotline was always fantastic.

Also, this was the time in the comic where we were given a lot of really good Dave and Karkat conversations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I can't belive homestuck's going to end in just over a week, probably

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Then there was the conversation where Karkat speaks with his future self long enough to become him within the same conversation. That was god drat great.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

aggressively poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Really, all of Homestuck should just be Karkat Memos with frequent interruptions by Dave.

With the occasional Midnight Crew Intermission.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Toxx is like the lovely ancestor troll version of Oxx.

haricots
Apr 12, 2014

So my love of Undertale made me finally check this monstrosity out a couple months ago. I'm at about the halfway point, Act 5 Part 2, and I have a few questions.

1: Would it be feasible for me to finish this before the end is released? I missed out on all of the reactions to previous updates and I want to be able to experience at least a little bit of the story at the same time as the rest of the fandom.

2: What are the best pieces of fan content?

3: Am I dumb for being decently confused about the plot? Those year one and two recaps gave me several "Oh THAT'S what the hell was going on there" moments. All of the flashbacks and the time fuckery mess me up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

if you really power through you can maybe finish before the final update. won't do any favors for your comprehension though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Megaschmoo posted:

So my love of Undertale made me finally check this monstrosity out a couple months ago. I'm at about the halfway point, Act 5 Part 2, and I have a few questions.

1: Would it be feasible for me to finish this before the end is released? I missed out on all of the reactions to previous updates and I want to be able to experience at least a little bit of the story at the same time as the rest of the fandom.

2: What are the best pieces of fan content?

3: Am I dumb for being decently confused about the plot? Those year one and two recaps gave me several "Oh THAT'S what the hell was going on there" moments. All of the flashbacks and the time fuckery mess me up.

1. The end won't be released until 2020, so yeah probably

2. I was going to post "gently caress you" but actually Detective Pony legitimately owns. You need to read Act 6 to understand it though.

3. You shouldn't worry about that. No one can figure out the plot of this shitfuck comic the scant few times we witness something approximating it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The concept of all the kids meeting up with their kidflipped guardians in a postscratch session isn't bad in and of itself, it's just the thing dragged on too long with too much time spent on who's in love with who and other unnecessary bullshit. And that's before you get into the 200 hiatuses.
It definitely feels like something Hussie thought up after starting the comic itself, which led to drawing out everything longer in order to set it up. The problem is everything felt like it was building up towards an end up some type, and then we go back to square one with rerieve arms jokes and poo poo. It's even worse since we already took focus off the kids once to introduce the trolls, and then there's poo poo like the retcon which makes so much of act six feel like a waste.

The hiatuses sucked but I'm sure if Hussie foresaw that the original developers were going to literally steal from him then he would have started the game kickstarter after Homestuck ended.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Remember when we spent years watching the stuff the happened in the meteor and the battleship, only for it to all be retconned

Actually stop and think about how bad a thing that is to do for a long narrative, both on a serial and archival perspective

Sorry guys, but Homestuck was on average not very good entirely on the weight of how loving bloated and pointless Act 6 has been

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The retcon was a loving terible choice and I'm convinced it happened because Hussie wrote himself into a corner.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Don't you guys get tired of making the same posts over and over?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

WAR FOOT posted:

The retcon was a loving terible choice and I'm convinced it happened because Hussie wrote himself into a corner.

I would be surprised to believe that the guy who managed to keep such a huge, unwieldy plot together up until now just gave up and pushed the reset button. But even I have to admit that it feels extremely odd.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

the back tier for Lemonsnout was $205 USD

It wasn't as if Lemonsnout was all you got with that tier, though! I will say that the tiers weren't evenly weighted pricewise (my experience of getting $164 market-value worth of rewards for $160 is unique to the Seerpack and ordering from Canada), but I wouldn't say that any of the tiers were out-and-out ripoffs*.

*obvious exception being $10,000 for making your fantroll canon for one panel, but my sympathies are limited because those fuckers knew what they were getting into when they dropped that money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Daius posted:

Remember when we spent years watching the stuff the happened in the meteor and the battleship, only for it to all be retconned

Actually stop and think about how bad a thing that is to do for a long narrative, both on a serial and archival perspective

Sorry guys, but Homestuck was on average not very good entirely on the weight of how loving bloated and pointless Act 6 has been

Remember when it was very clearly and explicitly explained that things that have been "retconned" are still important, which is the entire theme of this comic and has been since the start, because there are people who somehow missed that point the other five thousand times the comic explained it? That thing that literally just happened like three updates ago?

Man, what a wild ride it's been. God I can't wait for it to be over.