Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Even if it is him, what would he be raging and killing about?

He killed every drat god that pissed him off.

I always did like the hidden video in the original God of War about modern soldiers finding the corpse of a titan. American Gods only with Jaffe's tryhard grimdark instead of Neil Gaiman's twee whimsy would be a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
kratos goes back in time to kill young kratos for wearing white after labor day

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kratos is in one of the Motral Kombat games I'm pretty sure, so he could just go kill those guys for a bit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Kratos is in one of the Motral Kombat games I'm pretty sure, so he could just go kill those guys for a bit

The MK guys had a bunch of guidelines that limited what they could do with kratos. They had to make two character portraits for him so that he'd be on-model even when facing the other direction in the character select, and had to do custom animations for him in several fatalities because he isn't allowed to look weak or frightened.

That just makes me think of Kratos as a really insecure action star with tons of really weird demands in his game contracts.

"MY CHARACTER WILL NOT EAT SHELLFISH, SHELLFISH IS FOR WEAK MEN"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Have you ever read the webcomic manly guys do manly things?

Kratos is pretty much that.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/03222010
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/just-imagine-how-much-all-you-can-eat-korean-bbq-theyd-go-through-in-a-sitting
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/based-on-a-true-story

But yeah they probably will find one. I mean the PSP games he went after everyone. Hell they had reunite with his daughter.

Only to have to push her away because Persephone/and a Titan were gonna destroy the world above so he had to go kill em. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 5, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kratos the character isn't as bad as gow's gameplay. i was tired of that style of character action before i ever even played a gow game thanks to darksiders and a million others

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What about Dark Souls 3 has people so excited? All of the footage i've seen so far looks rehashed from the previous games. I've yet to see any original ideas in it, which seems extremely disappointing? Like i'm totally ready to be crucified here for heresy, I welcome the sweet release of death, but Dark Souls 3 looks to be the most uninspired game this year. Would rather just play Bloodborne.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gow's gameplay was never the shining point. The set pieces were the bright spot.

That and seeing how pissed Kratos got.

I thought they couldn't get him more pissed off but 3 showed me, nah we found other ways to make him angry.

edit: And yet you have a boner for Forza or whatever everytime. :v: Why do goons keep dong that the whole gee I don't know why people get excited. It's like why bother. I mean could explain maybe differences that it ain't a rehash but that would probably end with no that's not new etc, blah blah.

So TLDR, you don't like Dark Souls 3. That's ok. Now talk about what game you are excited about for April.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 5, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

I said come in! posted:

What about Dark Souls 3 has people so excited? All of the footage i've seen so far looks rehashed from the previous games. I've yet to see any original ideas in it, which seems extremely disappointing? Like i'm totally ready to be crucified here for heresy, I welcome the sweet release of death, but Dark Souls 3 looks to be the most uninspired game this year. Would rather just play Bloodborne.

What kind of dumbass wants more of a good game?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Super Mario World barely changes anything from Mario 3, who the gently caress is excited for an uninspired platformer anyway?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

Super Mario World barely changes anything from Mario 3, who the gently caress is excited for an uninspired platformer anyway?

This isn't true at all though?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

This isn't true at all though?

its not true of dark souls 1 to 3 either is I think what he was illustrating.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lurdiak posted:

The MK guys had a bunch of guidelines that limited what they could do with kratos. They had to make two character portraits for him so that he'd be on-model even when facing the other direction in the character select, and had to do custom animations for him in several fatalities because he isn't allowed to look weak or frightened.

That just makes me think of Kratos as a really insecure action star with tons of really weird demands in his game contracts.

"We're bringing back Babalities for this entry will that be a problem?"

"No just make sure to make Kratos an ANGRY BABY."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That is actually hilarious. Kratos truly is me at 13.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really wish that David Jaffe's cancelled "game that will make you cry" that he was hyping up after God of War actually came out just because the idea of him trying to handle anything with nuance is hilarious.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Snake didn't die.

Snake dies. Snake lives
Both true?!?

:kojima:

Lurdiak posted:

That's all well and good but I mean I considered actually creating such mods, due to there not really being anything worth discussing out there.

Fairly sure someone already nerded out and added Hotuko Shinken/Fist of the North Star to every Bethesda game to date. Maybe not the same person, maybe they posted it on Nexus, not sure, but I remember there being one for F3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim, all with varying degrees of Mary Sue overpowered goodness.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Its going to be a yearly release title and sell millions of copies every drat time. Its the RPG version of Call of Duty and if you criticize it you will be shunned from the internet, your parents will disown you, your friends will leave you and your cat will go puke into every pair of shoes you own.

Im really enjoying Digital Devil Saga. You fight a giant penis riding a chariot made of spikes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mistle posted:

Fairly sure someone already nerded out and added Hotuko Shinken/Fist of the North Star to every Bethesda game to date. Maybe not the same person, maybe they posted it on Nexus, not sure, but I remember there being one for F3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim, all with varying degrees of Mary Sue overpowered goodness.

I looked into it and the fallout ones are various kinds of completely unfinished, hideous and buggy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I looked into it and the fallout ones are various kinds of completely unfinished, hideous and buggy.

But enough about the base game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people who don't own a PS4 didn't get to play Bloodborne and were pissy about it and they're really excited about DS3, which is grabbing up Bloodborne's mechanics and some of its visuals.

Also it's more Dark Souls, a fun game series, so maybe it too will be fun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So I tried a little Enter the Gungeon before bed and I like what I played. Twin-stick, co-op procedural dungeon crawl with bullet hell elements and unlockable items, weapons and I'm guessing characters. Leans heavily on guns as a motif for every aspect of the design, but I accept that as what the game is trying to do and I think it does it well. For instance, the decorations around the lore scrolls are little bullets, the teleporters are the chambers of a revolver (sorry for not knowing all the parts of guns guys), and your health is represented by hearts that are made of two red bullets. Plays nice and smooth, I like what little I've seen of the writing, and there's some verbs that I like to see in this sort of game (dodge roll, turn table into cover, teleport at will to previous 'porters). If you like Nuclear Throne then I think Enter the Gungeon is something you should be looking at.

The first boss I fought (and I imagine that the bosses are randomly picked from a pool) was a muscle-bound bird with a chaingun and ammo drum. He was named Gattlin' Gull, and when he died, a pack of ravens descended upon him and left no trace.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 5, 2016

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Can't wait for Bloodboring to be released on Bone and PC so I can read about how unfair that is, for some reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

Can't wait for Bloodboring to be released on Bone and PC so I can read about how unfair that is, for some reason.

it won't be, though. sony funded, just like demon's souls

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Never gonna happen dude. Basically what corn said.

PC fans said they wanted Demon Souls, 5 to what 10 years later? Still ain't happening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It'll hit Steam when Sony collapses in 2 years.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

No super punching action on Fallout 4?
A true wasteland.

corn in the bible posted:

it won't be, though. sony funded, just like demon's souls

Entirely possible for BB to hit PC, but I'd expect another year or so, once the PS4k starts tapering significantly in sales.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first boss I fought (and I imagine that the bosses are randomly picked from a pool) was a muscle-bound bird with a chaingun and ammo drum. He was named Gattlin' Gull, and when he died, a pack of ravens descended upon him and left no trace.

Kojima or not, I can't hate a good game reference, especially when it's in another game :3:

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

What happened to the xbone shark tank thread?

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I bought a PS4 for Bloodbourne, and I really couldn't get into it. But since then, I've barely touched the system. I got Disgaea 5, because I loved the poo poo out of the original Disgaea and its sequel, but now I realize that I don't have the patience to min-max an army of anime globs any more. I did get Tearaway Unfolded, which I thought was a really, really well-done platformer. It's my favorite PS4 game so far. But now I'm wondering what's on the horizon for the system that's truly exclusive. I do most of my gaming on Bone, 360 and PC, a lil' Wii U on the side for palate cleanser (half hour of Super Mario Maker is just perfect). I can't put any faith behind No Man's Sky; it's gonna be Spore all over again. Never cared for the Uncharted series so Uncharted 4's nowhere on my radar. I really wish Sony would do some sort of backwards compatible thing for their PS3 games like Microsoft did for the Bone. Or at least let me access my PS3 digital purchases. I hate having the system sit here doing literally nothing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mae posted:

it went to bad thread hell

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Enter The Gungeon looks cool and it has like hundreds of unique guns and powerups. It's also balls hard and I will probably not buy it because I can't play those games for poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The writer of spec ops the line talks about hilarious games industry management fuckups and how it impacts writing

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2172-no-trans-characters-6-realities-writing-video-games.html

Mae posted:

It went to cool crew chat central

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sheeeesh. Lightning Returns is kicking my rear end, but I'm sure I've been wandering well out of my power level zone. Are side quests the only way I can boost my base stats besides finding/buying more weapons?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Played more Dark Souls 2 today only to realize that high-strength builds are very disappointing for me.

gently caress. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What kind of lizard wizard are you if you're not playing a spellcaster?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

What kind of lizard wizard are you if you're not playing a spellcaster?

I was originally playing a sorcerer but my melee game was so weak that I got stomped, then I went for a cleric and got tired of the Greatsword, and now I'm not even sure what I want. A smarter approach to sorcerer, I suppose. What would people recommend for a dex sorcerer in terms of early-game weapons?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mae posted:

Moved to cccc, under byob, and that removed all the "jerk detected" posts so I guess it got better... but don't worry, now you can slapfight in the hugbox/safe space for boners.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sheeeesh. Lightning Returns is kicking my rear end, but I'm sure I've been wandering well out of my power level zone. Are side quests the only way I can boost my base stats besides finding/buying more weapons?

yeah. stats go up when you do sidequests or turn in board requests. but your power is also based on how good your equipped abilities are, and those drop from enemies. you also get new EP abilities and garbs each time you return to the ark!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was originally playing a sorcerer but my melee game was so weak that I got stomped, then I went for a cleric and got tired of the Greatsword, and now I'm not even sure what I want. A smarter approach to sorcerer, I suppose. What would people recommend for a dex sorcerer in terms of early-game weapons?

I think people like the Rapier you can buy from the blacksmith in Majula. If you're playing Scholar of the First Sin, you can get it enchanted real soon after beating the Pursuer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

by the way, another LR tip: buy the monster guides. they fill out your libra thing and will reveal the best way to stagger an enemy, which is very helpful. and pay attention to how good your abilities are at staggering because it's important!

• Locked thread