Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Sounds right. Did antwoman die quickly and embarassingly?

No, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ramc posted:

Seeing more than one post and the last one being by AJ Impy is usually means a fight too.

Usually, but not always.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

zeetoo post the fights

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
don't

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
In about 15 hours I'm going to post my own drat fight.

It'll have hookers and blackjack as well as flailing and me hating my gladiator.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Spermy Smurf posted:

In about 15 hours I'm going to post my own drat fight.

It'll have hookers and blackjack as well as flailing and me hating my gladiator.

Are the hookers on anyone's side or are they just spawned as an independent 3rd faction in the melee?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, there is no blackjack and a disturbing lack of hookers.

Running my own fight is weird. I'm thinking the entire time that if Petting Zoo goes 4-0 no one will believe me. If we go 4-0 and Antwoman performs well no one will believe me.

It's really a no-win situation for me, so here's the fight without cheating.

:siren: Round 13, Fight 1 :siren:

This Bites (3-9) is on the left side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears no armor.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a leather cap and platinum low boots.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper scourge and wears an iron cap, leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a copper shield and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, and copper high boots.

The Petting Zoo (6-6) is on the right side of the arena.
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields an iron large dagger, a copper large dagger, and a bronze large dagger and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive breath) is a male minotaur. He is empty handed and wears a silver helm, leather armor, a steel mail shirt, copper greaves, silver gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper scourge and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a male serpent man. He wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.

The Petting Zoo is a 1.64 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 6226.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3788.00 dwarfbucks for This Bites.

Here's how I expect it to play out. On the left we've got the top 2 fighters unarmored, then the human is lightly armored. Antwoman, Simon, and Cowman are going to scythe through them with no injuries at all, while Stephen the snakeman keeps Eyeteeth busy. Ready? Break!

Turns out I'm an idiot. First blood is immediate with Knife Toseeu chopping through Cowmans silver gauntlet with a copper dagger.

Sun Tzu dodges Antwoman with ease and then does exactly what I worried about. A punch from the elf lands and shatters her thorax despite two copper mail shirts. Antwoman doesn't die, but she's a single blow away from exploding into pieces.

Antwoman puts Sun Tzu down with a cut up leg, then takes a second punch to the chest. Antwoman is still on her feet somehow. Knife Toseeu's knife clangs off of Cowmans head, and then Antwoman thrusts a dagger through the stranglers ribs, lungs, and heart. Knife Toseeu passes out immediately.

Stephen has bruised Roland a few times, but no blows have landed solidly yet.

Simon scratches Sun Tzu's left hand, but his scourge is deflected by armor.

Antwoman fractures the stranglers skull, then Cowman gores the already damaged head and brains spill out.

Stephen calls for help as Roland fractures his weapon hand, Antwoman rushes down to help.

Simon lashes the downed Sun Tzu a few times and tears his stomach open. The elf passes out from pain.

Cowman charges Eyeteeth, sending the werewolf staggering back a step and the two titans square off.

Roland turns and sends Antwoman reeling with a series of blows until Stephen punches the human hard enough to break ribs and bruise lungs.

Simons scourge crashes into Sun Tzu's head over and over. Finally the skull collapses.

Cowman performs a one-finger-takedown on Eyeteeth, and then locks his hip and upper leg and shatters the joint. A followup gore pulps Eyeteeths hand, and the werewolf passes out from pain.

Antwoman has two daggers embedded in Rolands foot and leg, and the human finally falls to the floor. Stephen Harper takes a blow that ruins his arm, but he manages to inject paralyzing venom into Rolands blood.

Simon moves to help Cowman. Together they lash the skull and break bodyparts.

Roland is whipped back and forth for a long with Stephens fangs in his head before Antwoman breaks through his skull.

Cowman is bending all parts of Eyeteeth in different directions. Simon has lashed the iron helmet about 15 times and can't break through.

Stephen and Antwoman arrive to help.

Antwoman gets through the helmet with her iron and bronze daggers.

The Petting Zoo wins with a 4-0 victory.

Kills:
Antwoman: 2
Cowman: 1
Simon Belmole: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 4, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im forming the fraud committee

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round is over, upgrade your poo poo:siren:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im forming the fraud committee

I ran the fight 3 other times in another DF instance. Petting Zoo lost 1 fighter in 4 identical fights.

Go fraud yourself.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Huzzah!

god I wish stephen was vaguely useful

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont understand him either.

I had that exact same build in the last tournament (well, 2 weapons instead of a shield) and I was helpful. You bruise a lot and I dont know why you dont fracture bones. It's weird.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Petting Zoo strike a blow for Gemclod and level the round with Boatmurdered, maintaining their lead. If the swamp fortress teams can press home the advantage next round, it will be insurmountable. Antwoman draws level with Simon Belmole at the forefront of the Zoo attack with a dozen kills to her name, and it will be a tough ask for any one to oust the Zoo from that 7th spot in the next round. This Bites become only the second team to register two digits in their loss column.

Here's the top ten individual kills table at the end of this round:

1st, James Largesausage, 21 kills, level with a Furry, Farmer and 2 cows
2nd=, Chaz Steadyfist, In like Flynn, 20 kills, quad aces.
4th, Snarls Barkley, 18 kills
5th, Dusseldwarf, 17 kills
6th=, Albrik the Insignificant, Qwarf, 16 kills, division killers.
8th=, Srirarcha Fartstorm Returns, Jimbo Akimbo, 3 Wolf Moon Shirt, 15 kills, triple aces.

Playoff permutations:
The four division leaders all have 9 wins or better. Two Chicks with Dicks and Worker Cooperative are sitting pretty with 8 wins, and as we just saw, The Petting Zoo consolidated 7th with their 7th win.

There are five teams on 6-7 records, ranging from second place in Bronzestabbed to last place in Syrupleaf. At present, Spooky Scary Skeletons are in the playoff place on kills scored. They are level on kill difference with Team Laser Explosion. Just one solitary kill difference behind them are Go Big and/or Go Home, second in their division but behind two third places overall. Hot on their heels with one worse kill difference again are A Tarantino Film, with Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow lagging back two kill diff behind them.

Next round, the Skeletons, Laser Explosion and the Horrorshow all face teams with a better record, whilst Go Big face off against Tarantino Film, which one way or another will resolve the curious case of second in one division being on par with last in another in the highlight of the round. If every other team performs according to their record, the winner of that one takes a big step towards the big time.

Of course, we've just seen how little the records matter in the arena this last round.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 4, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's really a no-win situation for me, so here's the fight without cheating.

Sure sure, whatever you say, kid.

Now run the real fight.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont understand him either.

I had that exact same build in the last tournament (well, 2 weapons instead of a shield) and I was helpful. You bruise a lot and I dont know why you dont fracture bones. It's weird.

Honestly, I'm getting the feeling that serpent men are sorta weak - I've been wondering if I should have just gone for a biting build instead, because the impression I'm getting from the combat logs is that Stephen just isn't hitting hard enough in most cases.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I ran the fight 3 other times in another DF instance. Petting Zoo lost 1 fighter in 4 identical fights.

Go fraud yourself.

The defendant admits he stacked the deck by running four fights, and posting the one with the least number of fighters lost.

The prosecution rests, your honor.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Antwoman got 4 kills in one of those fights.

:negative:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

AJ_Impy posted:

The Petting Zoo strike a blow for Gemclod and level the round with Boatmurdered, maintaining their lead. If the swamp fortress teams can press home the advantage next round, it will be insurmountable. Antwoman draws level with Simon Belmole at the forefront of the Zoo attack with a dozen kills to her name, and it will be a tough ask for any one to oust the Zoo from that 7th spot in the next round. This Bites become only the second team to register two digits in their loss column.

Here's the top ten individual kills table at the end of this round:

1st, James Largesausage, 21 kills, level with a Furry, Farmer and 2 cows
2nd=, Chaz Steadyfist, In like Flynn, 20 kills, quad aces.
4th, Snarls Barkley, 18 kills
5th, Dusseldwarf, 17 kills
6th=, Albrik the Insignificant, Qwarf, 16 kills, division killers.
8th=, Srirarcha Fartstorm Returns, Jimbo Akimbo, 3 Wolf Moon Shirt, 15 kills, triple aces.

Playoff permutations:
The four division leaders all have 9 wins or better. Two Chicks with Dicks and Worker Cooperative are sitting pretty with 8 wins, and as we just saw, The Petting Zoo consolidated 7th with their 7th win.

There are five teams on 6-7 records, ranging from second place in Bronzestabbed to last place in Syrupleaf. At present, Spooky Scary Skeletons are in the playoff place on kills scored. They are level on kill difference with Team Laser Explosion. Just one solitary kill difference behind them are Go Big and/or Go Home, second in their division but behind two third places overall. Hot on their heels with one worse kill difference again are A Tarantino Film, with Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow lagging back two kill diff behind them.

Next round, the Skeletons, Laser Explosion and the Horrorshow all face teams with a better record, whilst Go Big face off against Tarantino Film, which one way or another will resolve the curious case of second in one division being on par with last in another in the highlight of the round. If every other team performs according to their record, the winner of that one takes a big step towards the big time.

Of course, we've just seen how little the records matter in the arena this last round.

So I'm not altogether certain of how the playoffs are going to be working. I'm sure it was explained at some point, but I definitely don't remember.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Antwoman got 4 kills in one of those fights.

:negative:

Okay, I was with you before Spermy, but now I'm starting to doubt your integrity. I mean, really.

Also don't feel too bad about Stephen, he tries very hard. My only theory as to why he under performs is that his weapon might be too heavy for him? I dunno though. :shrug:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
snakemen are on the smaller side of things yeah, which really cuts down on the amount of force an attack delivers. doesn't matter that much with edged attacks since they're more about velocity, but with blunt attacks... it's lacking.

don't know the math behind how much size matters in terms of strength and material thickness. i think it's linked in that aspect, iirc: large size means more muscle tissue thickness, which means more strength.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, I tried a hammersnake last tournament and it sucked

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

LorrdErnie posted:

So I'm not altogether certain of how the playoffs are going to be working. I'm sure it was explained at some point, but I definitely don't remember.

As it turns out, it wasn't.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

We'll start the third round on Monday morning, to give everyone a chance to place bets, and maybe to spend their participation points as well if they wish.

This is actually a very good question, and I think I failed to address this in the OP.

I was thinking that we would have a three-round, eight-team playoff. The four division champions will all qualify for the playoff. But after that, I was thinking that the four best records overall that didn't finish in first place would qualify for the remaining spots. It didn't make sense to do it this way in the past, since teams would only fight teams in their own division before this tournament. However, since every team fights every other team at least once in this tournament, it's possible that one really strong division might have two (or even three) other teams that beat up on all the other divisions and end up with a good record, and those teams shouldn't be penalized for being in a tougher division if they do well. So I think it would make sense to qualify the four teams with the best non-divisional-champion records.

Actually, we should probably have a vote on it.

:siren: All four division champions will qualify for the playoffs. How should the remaining four playoff spots be determined? :siren:

A) The four non-divisional-champions with the best overall records

B) All four second-place teams, regardless of overall record

We never did tally that vote, so I'll do that here for convenience.

A (non-divisional champs with best overall records)
B (All four 2nd place teams regardless)
C (Write-in: Best kill difference)
D (Write-in: Make all-star teams of best individual kill difference ratio gladiators)
E (Write-in: The Petting Zoo go through automatically. Oh, Spermy Smurf. Still, he said he liked C, so we'll count his as that.)
F (Write-in: Free-For-All. Put all the non-champion teams in a giant arena. The last teams to have at least one member still alive go to the playoffs.)

A tie between best overall records and best kill difference. As it stands, the two methods produce identical outcomes (We're already needing to go down to kill difference and beyond it to kills scored to split teams in relevant positions.) I'll make a note if the two methods ever differ in outcome. The closest we have is Petting Zoo and Worker Cooperative switching 6th and 7th place, but both are in qualifying spots above the general scrum.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 4, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, I tried a hammersnake last tournament and it sucked

We won a tournament with a hammersnake in the team, and my own hammersnake did pretty well in the solo tournament. :smug:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy loving poo poo there are 5 more god drat rounds before playoffs.

40 more fights before playoffs. Another 20hrs of time to run and write them up before playoffs.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy loving poo poo there are 5 more god drat rounds before playoffs.

40 more fights before playoffs. Another 20hrs of time to run and write them up before playoffs.

You're doing Armok's work Spermy, its a great task with great rewards*!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And then you assholes are going to want effortposts for playoffs and finals aren't you?

I hate you guys more and more the longer this goes on, you know that right?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

And then you assholes are going to want effortposts for playoffs and finals aren't you?

I hate you guys more and more the longer this goes on, you know that right?

:bigtran:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Wait, what did I do?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Naw, for the last fights, just run them all at once and gives us the final scores, I'm sure nobody will mind.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Dang, Syrupleaf swept Bronzestabbed that round. They got one kill. One.

Good job division!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Naw, for the last fights, just run them all at once and gives us the final scores, I'm sure nobody will mind.

Actually can we run a final 'every team at once' fight? That'd be kickass. Totally incomprehensible but kickass.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Ramc posted:

Ah, yes. Who is currently directly above you?

Why don't you look for yourself?

:smug:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why don't you look for yourself?

I have peasants to do that for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Barehanded Level 5 biting, or level 2 biting with iron cap and mail?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
So something I'm wondering. Is there any downside to having a shield if I have a free hand? Obviously if costs some points but does it have any effect on using something in your other hand. I'd assume not but hey it's Dwarf Fortress...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ramc posted:

Dang, Syrupleaf swept Bronzestabbed that round. They got one kill. One.

Good job division!

So they did, my apologies for not checking this. After Gemclod threw the gauntlet down last round, Syrupleaf took it up with style. Only a true sweep of sweeps can outdo this, and there are only two opportunities to do so left in the interdivisionals. Will anyone manage the ultimate in fortress supremacy?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wow there is ten thousand bucks for Worker Cooperative against their foes. As we have seen anything can happen, I recommend that everyone bet against WC to earn some sweet cash.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ramc posted:

I have peasants to do that for me.

Yes, massa, can I begin the next round now, massa?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tiler Kiwi posted:

wow there is ten thousand bucks for Worker Cooperative against their foes. As we have seen anything can happen, I recommend that everyone bet against WC to earn some sweet cash.

Probably worth noting that 80% of that figure is Cathode Raymond betting every penny they have on LW losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't get how Petting Zoo is the favorite. I mean, I'm glad and all, but I give us a 50/50 chance of winning this thing. The guys are too big and too armored for our team.