Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Stupid question: I have seen some games with a certain style, like "Hyper Light Drifter" having a certain scraggy/ frayed look. Are they done like this purely because the artist wants them to look this way or is there some other reason, like some developer tools that would lead to it? I just can't place them into the more "traditional pixel art" school of, well pixeling, is all.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/257850/?snr=1_4_4__122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Hyper Light Drifter is taking the approach to texture from a different angle than most traditional pixel art. If you look at a screenshot, you can see that large swathes of space are just flat colour, with perhaps just the occasional cluster of pixels to hint at a material. A lot of texture is being indicated along the boundaries of tiles, just by shaping the silhouette of the edge of that flat patch of pixels.

Stylistically, I think this looks excellent and I'm sure that's part of the appeal, however I think modern gaming has some influence. Hyper Light Drifter uses lots of lighting and gradient shaders. It also uses lots of objects that feature transparency or emit light as layers above the terrain and sprites. All this other stuff happening on screen would tend to muddle finely detailed pixel art. They would fight each other. In old games where nearly everything had to be drawn almost verbatim, artists had to cram most or all of that visual effect into the opaque sprites and tiles of the main art.

Additionally, animating 'untextured' pixel art is soooo much easier, as is the speed of drawing sprites. This allows the designer to create many more unified art assets than if they spent the same amount of time on 'textured' pixel art.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you, Scut!

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

experiments with a limited color range -- going for 'understated', but it ended up just looking kinda bland

and bonus studyboat, ft. metal slug: wherein I discover the satisfaction of drawing lots of chunky wooden planks.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

_jink posted:

experiments with a limited color range -- going for 'understated', but it ended up just looking kinda bland

I actually really love this piece. While it might be too desaturated for a full game, it works really well as a standalone, and would be perfectly fine for a flashback segment.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sophism posted:

I actually really love this piece. While it might be too desaturated for a full game, it works really well as a standalone, and would be perfectly fine for a flashback segment.

Flashback is exactly what I thought of too. I like it!

Also that wooden ship is dope.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

_jink posted:

Hot to death. I'm envisioning the ground either only appearing as it's illuminated, or sort of clunking into place like it does in Bastion, with enemies as silhouettes until they get to the light.

I'd play the hell out of that.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

_jink posted:

and bonus studyboat, ft. metal slug: wherein I discover the satisfaction of drawing lots of chunky wooden planks.

jink these Own a lot and im glad to see your stuff around again

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

_jink posted:

Glad I'm not the only one to think this would be a good idea for a side scroller.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is there any sense to working small and scaling up? My friends are telling me that I'd be wasting my time working at 4096x4096 then scaling down to half that, for example, instead of just going at a smaller resolution and scaling up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ijyt posted:

Is there any sense to working small and scaling up? My friends are telling me that I'd be wasting my time working at 4096x4096 then scaling down to half that, for example, instead of just going at a smaller resolution and scaling up.

If you're using a larger brush size then I guess it's no different, unless you're doing in-game scaling, in which case you end up with smaller file sizes.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you mean doing like a line drawing at high res, then scaling that down to pixel art size? That is a technique often used in adventure games and also fighting games I think.

If you mean trying draw pixel art at high res and then reducing resolution, that is a bad idea because dropping resolution means losing information and therefore throwing out work you have invested into a piece.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scut posted:

If you mean trying draw pixel art at high res and then reducing resolution, that is a bad idea because dropping resolution means losing information and therefore throwing out work you have invested into a piece.

Yeah, it's pixel art because pixel-level detail is important.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Testing high-dynamic blurring action :frog:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, it's pixel art because pixel-level detail is important.

Yeah I was being dumb that day and confusing myself. Too used to scaling down digital art to smooth things out.

Speaking of resolutions I'm really not sure what to work in for using as 2D game assets. The following is in a 128x128 canvas and would be used for a character select portrait (won't actually be a corgi, just the first reference image I had to hand), and it seems a bit too spacious. But when I tried 64x64 it seemed too limiting.

Also it's my first attempt, but I feel like it turned out quite flat and not what I think of with pixel art. Are my colours too muted, not enough exaggeration in the shading in highlights? Doing something with fur probably wasn't helpful either.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ijyt posted:

Yeah I was being dumb that day and confusing myself. Too used to scaling down digital art to smooth things out.

Speaking of resolutions I'm really not sure what to work in for using as 2D game assets. The following is in a 128x128 canvas and would be used for a character select portrait (won't actually be a corgi, just the first reference image I had to hand), and it seems a bit too spacious. But when I tried 64x64 it seemed too limiting.

Also it's my first attempt, but I feel like it turned out quite flat and not what I think of with pixel art. Are my colours too muted, not enough exaggeration in the shading in highlights? Doing something with fur probably wasn't helpful either.

It can be hard to figure out the size of assets without knowing how your ui for your game will later be laid out. Are these portraits for an rpg status menu, dialogue boxes where you're going to not want to hamper horizontal space and have more vertical space to fill, portraits for some other purpose? If you dont know what your ui is going to look like, try looking at games in other genres and see how big their portraits are. Generally its good to stick to power 2 and then clip some of, but not all the borders with details.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

At the moment a character select menu, and we're toying with the idea of including them at the bottom of the screen in a dedicated UI box/section where the health / score /etc would go. It's for a shmup so we might end up not using it that way just to keep as much screenspace as possible for the gameplay.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
To be honest I would love to play as a corgi in a shmup.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I would suggest going way down in resolution, try 32x32. If you are getting accustomed to pixel art, you want to limit variables and scale is a big one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Scut posted:

I would suggest going way down in resolution, try 32x32. If you are getting accustomed to pixel art, you want to limit variables and scale is a big one.

Okay.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

I haven't really grappled with tilesets much, so I thought I'd try doing a simple grass tile; eliminating the "grid effect" completely is pretty difficult!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

At that resolution your best bet might be to use a solid color with a few sparse details that imply the presence of grass rather than showing it directly.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

I haven't really grappled with tilesets much, so I thought I'd try doing a simple grass tile; eliminating the "grid effect" completely is pretty difficult!

Time to share some hot tips.

1. Open up an image done with the tile in photoshop, blur it with a radius of around half the tile initially. If you get an obvious repeating pattern, then it'll still happen. Try with a smaller radius next, etc, until you notice distinct blobs instead of the sort of 'straight line' effect you get on the picture itself. That'll let you identify exactly where the problem is. (This isn't really useful for that small of a pattern, but is especially useful when dealing with multicoloured tiles.)

2. If your tile is multicoloured, turn to grayscale (preferably with two-three ways of colour transform; the uniform transform isn't that useful here really). This'll make it more obvious where the problem is, as well as pointing out contrast issues.

3. The grid effect can be part of your style. The image you posted, for example, is subtle enough that I don't think it's a major issue to leave in a game for example.

4. If you want to leave it in but you can't seem to not make it glaringly powerful, introduce more lines yourself, off-center. Again, this is mostly useful in larger tile patterns. An interesting thing I've seen is a tile pattern that had 6 more 'grid patterns' at a few angles. They were all about as subtle as in your image though, so it actually looked really nice. I wish I still had a link to it.

e: Also in case it wasn't obvious, it is very much still present in the image you posted. The tile itself also seems a bit too 'sharp' like the poster above said. It's less like grass and more like an etched surface, or like a carpet.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Cheers for the tips, guys! I was actually considering toning down the detail; I'm aiming for more of a top down shooter look, so a scaled back look might be more appropriate considering the foreground is supposed to be pretty high up altitude-wise.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

7/12 DnD classes made so far. It's a little tricky trying to keep everything in an appropriate scale, but I think nothing is particularly egregious. The Orc Bard is just slightly small by orc standards. Eventually I'm planning on making both genders for each class, and if I'm insane, maybe even racial options. All I know is they're fun as hell to make and keep me busy.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

McKilligan posted:

7/12 DnD classes made so far. It's a little tricky trying to keep everything in an appropriate scale, but I think nothing is particularly egregious. The Orc Bard is just slightly small by orc standards. Eventually I'm planning on making both genders for each class, and if I'm insane, maybe even racial options. All I know is they're fun as hell to make and keep me busy.

These look so good! Are they for an actual game or a mock-up?

Here's a quick update on the creature i was working on before and another one:

Tried to go for a monitor/Komodo dragon look, flattened the body and made the tail broader.

Probably a bit too active, but wanted to go with something a tad different. Based/heavily influenced by the desert worms from the final fantasy series.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Disproportionation posted:

Cheers for the tips, guys! I was actually considering toning down the detail; I'm aiming for more of a top down shooter look, so a scaled back look might be more appropriate considering the foreground is supposed to be pretty high up altitude-wise.

Reducing the contrast between the colors in the grass should also help to add a bit more depth and make the ship stand out from the background:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Ash Crimson posted:

These look so good! Are they for an actual game or a mock-up?

Not for a game (animating is a nightmare for me), but I think eventually I'd like to compile them all into a simple program that would let you print them out as minis for DnD. I'll eventually get around to making mobs as well, skeletons, zombies, goblins, etc.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This has probably been already answered but I haven't been able to find it.
Has anyone used Aseprite for game assets? Specifically tiles and spritesheets. Would you recommend another program over it?

From the trial it seems pretty good, but I want to know if anyone has any gripes with it before I pull the trigger and commit to learning it

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Jay Tholen used it for Dropsy. I would recommend Aseprite. I'm planning to switch over to it on my next major project.

If you are doing a lot of tiling operations I would recommend Pyxel Edit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I know it's possible to preview animations at 2x, 3x speed etc, but is it possible to save it at those speeds?

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

temp art -> real art comes with a heavy tonal shift - - -

too much to quote, but this threads real good still, good job goon :banjo:

( & hi jewel long time no see :] )

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ijyt posted:

I know it's possible to preview animations at 2x, 3x speed etc, but is it possible to save it at those speeds?

Frame > constant frame rate and set your frame duration

Edit:
also have some art!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 11, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Frame > constant frame rate and set your frame duration

Edit:
also have some art!

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that. Really liking aseprite so far, much easier to work with for animations than Photoshop's timeline.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

_jink posted:

temp art -> real art comes with a heavy tonal shift - - -

too much to quote, but this threads real good still, good job goon :banjo:

( & hi jewel long time no see :] )

:allears:

Where've you been at?? hmu with new contact details in a message or somethin if you have em, there's a lot to talk about!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is still getting polished off but I thought someone might like to see how I'm roughing out my animations now.

I'm gonna have a lot more appreciation for Dark Souls when I finally get around to playing those games.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Every time I look into this thread I'm like "man, why am I even trying". :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Police Automaton posted:

Wicked same, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Police Automaton posted: